Thread: TSN's Chisholm on the Pacers Rebuilding Process

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default TSN's Chisholm on the Pacers Rebuilding Process

This is a nice read from Canada's TSN...good evaluation of where we're at now, probable starters, etc. Paste / follow the link.

CHISHOLM: REBUILDING PROCESS COMING TOGETHER FOR PACERS

by Tim Chisholm 9/9/2008

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=2489...s=secStory_nba

It's a very tough decision for a franchise when it comes time to rebuild. Many felt as though the Pacers waited too long to fully explore rebuilding as they opted to slowly divest themselves of their assets rather than just cutting their losses and overhauling. While the latter approach is very much in vogue in the NBA these days, the Pacers have shown that there is value to be taken in the slower, more methodical approach.

The Pacers have managed to establish a solid core of players by systematically reconstructing their roster these last few years. During that time, though, fans have grown weary of the teams consistent non-competitiveness and, in some cases, tuned them right out. That constitutes the downside to the approach favored by Indiana since years go by with nothing to show for them except very minute building blocks and seeds for the future.
    Last edited by kester99; 09-10-2008 at 05:04 PM.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Default Re: TSN's Chisholm on the Pacers Rebuilding Process

Rasho & Ford have both never missed the postseason in their careers. I hope this trend continues this year with the Pacers.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good read. I think it would be hard for anyone to give a fair and balanced assessment of what this team will do considering the new faces we brought in. I, for one, am extremely excited for the upcoming season.
    Last edited by HC; 09-11-2008 at 08:26 AM.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

I wonder what the chance is that Rasho & Jeff both start Jeff at PF, Rasho at Center?

Quote Originally Posted by esabyrn333 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder what the chance is that Rasho & Jeff both start Jeff at PF, Rasho at Center?
    If they're both on the team, I'd say fairly high. Each is clearly the best at their position.

Murphy could excel against second-stringers, and Jeff doesn't take shots away from Dun/Danny/Ford.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Are they rebuilding for the future or are they rebuilding to be a perennial #8 seed. I can't tell.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Are they rebuilding for the future or are they rebuilding to be a perennial #8 seed. I can't tell.
    What I'm worried about myself aswell. But, I will give them the benefit of the doubt for atleast this year and see where the team stands just before next years draft.

I am much more enthousiastic now then I was before the this season ended... that is 100% sure. So, overall I'm reasonably optimistic, but I'm not expecting miracles or wonders.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Both for the future and the now. We have pieces that will take us forward, as well the appropriate parts to put around a big-time free agent. Put a Boozer, who's a free agent next season, on this team after a season of development and you have a team that can contend in the playoffs.

Granted, the above is ideal in every sense.
    Last edited by Doddage; 09-11-2008 at 08:00 AM.

Baby steps, my friend, baby steps.

Look, I agree that last year they may have set the bar too low in that all they wanted to do was return to the post-season, but I understood where JOB and Bird were coming from. They knew they had troubles they couldn't go public with (i.e., the revelation that JO no longer wanted to be here). Thus, team chemistry was a concern. So, what do they do? They set the bar low knowing that should they achieve that small goal, their season wouldn't be a failure. Unfortunately, things didn't work out that way. Still, I understood why they did what they did. This year might not be that much different, however, because team chemistry and player inexperience at certain positions (i.e., Center/PF/SG) w/rotation players may be large factors. So, I can see them settling for the 8th seed. Nonetheless, even if they miss the post-season for the 3rd year in a row, we all have to accept the fact that this team is in rebuild mode. Thus, we all should lower our expectations to be on par with the reality, which is:

The Pacers are a new team with players who have never played together, and in some cases are new to the NBA (rookies). It's going to take 2-3 years before the new set of central "core" players are truly identified. And even then it will take time for them to gel. Once a starting 5 has been identified that can stay together for 3-5 years, then and only then will we truly know whether or not this rebuilding process can bare fruit.
    So, to answer both questions:

1. "Are the Pacers rebuilding for the future?" Yes

2. "Are the shooting for the #8 seed in the post-season?" Yes

Only difference is, I believe moreso this year than I did last year that they can make the post-season again. Why? Three reasons:

1. Renewed commitment by the players, particularly the new acquisitions (less Rasho considering we haven't heard from him yet); and,

2. Improved health at crucial positions (PG/Post - C/PF; losing both hurt big time last year)

3. Depth! Among our bigs, we had JO, Ike, David and Foster all lose playing time last year due to one injury or another. And when Tinsley and Diener sustained injuries, our PG rotation was in flux. The same could be said about our SG position w/K. Rush's ankle/knee (and Quis not getting his long-ball game together until late in the season didn't help much either). But this year it appears that all those holes will be plugged. This year, the Pacers could realistically go 3-deep at every position using players with skills at their relative positions.

So, as I look at this roster, no it's not going to take the Celtics, Spurs, Lakers or Cavs 7-deep in any playoff series, but it will be alot more competitive than last year's roster.
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 09-11-2008 at 12:50 PM.