Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers Begin Talks With Granger

Default Pacers Begin Talks With Granger

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...eys_still.html

The Pacers have begun negotiations with forward Danny Granger on a contract extension, but a deal doesn't appear to be close, according to Indianapolis Star.

Granger and the Pacers have until Oct. 31 to agree on a contract extension, but the parties could opt to wait until next summer when he becomes a restricted free agent.

"You always like to get something done, but at the same time, if we don't then Danny will just go into the season," agent Mike Bartelstein said. "I think Danny's best basketball is ahead of him. He loves it in Indiana. We would love to get something done, but we have to see if there's a deal that makes sense for both sides."

Default Re: Pacers Begin Talks With Granger

Please. Do it for the Indonesians.

Does no Pacer official realize that Granger will probably be more expensive next summer? I don't get it. Why don't we push harder to save money?

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Please. Do it for the Indonesians.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Does no Pacer official realize that Granger will probably be more expensive next summer? I don't get it. Why don't we push harder to save money?
    Any possibility it is Granger's agent doing the foot dragging and delaying? Oh, no, not possible, since TPTB must be the incompetent ones here.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Remember the last time a RFA was signed prior to being one.

<<<<<<-----------------

Mood

I'm sure Grangers agent has been waiting til now to see what the market was going to be....he's going to do his job which is to get the best contract for Granger. I'm thinking 5 years - 60mil

My 1st reaction reading this article this morning was "what the heck is going on"! Show Granger you want him and sign him b4 you lose him to another team in FA, or he gets frustrated and wants to be traded. But then Granger's agent doesn't seem to be overly concerned which could be good, or it could be bad if he wants Granger to become a RFA.

My feeling is for TPTB to quit screwing around and make him an honest offer. JUST GET IT DONE BIRD! If you drop the ball on this one, don't expect to have a future with the Pacers nor should ownership expect to see those empty seats in Conseco filled anytime soon!

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Some of you guys need to lighten up on Bird and TPTB. Some of you sound like Bird and Herb just need to give him the store (max deal). It's a freakin' "negotiation".....meaning his agent will try to get Granger the most he can get, while the Pacers are trying to get him for as little as possible. So, why are some of you freaking out because both sides are negotiating?

Danny's agent knows that the Pacers PR wagon is attached to his client, so why would anyone not expect Bartlestien to ask for a little more then fair market value.

Remember, this is the agent that represented Brad Miller. We all thought Brad was comming back, didn't we?

All, I'm saying is...Unless you think the Pacers should just Jalen Rose or Jermaine O'neal him, it is too early to bit*h at managment because he is not extended, yet.
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 09-04-2008 at 10:01 AM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Mood

Seriously? Lets relax. We can match any offer given to Danny. If Josh Smith can be had by the Hawks, then we should get Danny. I say let him test the market. I think we would get a better deal.

While I recognize that there is still time to address both issues, what concerned me most about this blog was the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wells
    There's less than four weeks left until training camp and there are two questions that remain unanswered.

1. Will point guard Jamaal Tinsley still be on the roster on media day Sept. 29?

2. Will swingman Danny Granger get a contract extension before the end of October?

My opinion: yes and no.
    If Wells turns out to be correct, it would feel, to me, that we were ending the summer on a note of, if not failure, disappointment. The moves in June generated a lot of enthusiasm in me and, I suspect, many others. However, this finish to the offseason would be at least be tinged with the impression of a false start. (Or worse, the idea that the FO feels that they are farther along than they really are.)

I think, on the whole, that Danny and his agent will be demanding, but relatively reasonable. However, I do have the sense that we're playing a little Russian roulette here. I'm sure I'd feel better about waiting if I knew that Danny was hoping to get substantially more than guys like Deng, Iguodala, Smith, and Ellis have gotten, but not knowing anything makes me nervous. In addition to Portland, there could be three or four other teams (from among Atl, Char, Mem, Mia, Min, & OKC) who might be in a position to make our lives difficult.

Regarding Tinsley, I can't help but think that if he's on the roster to start the season, the combination of potential injuries and the temptation to "showcase" him (play and/or health) will lead to him actually suiting up and playing.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Regarding Tinsley, I can't help but think that if he's on the roster to start the season, the combination of potential injuries and the temptation to "showcase" him (play and/or health) will lead to him actually suiting up and playing.
    Exactly my thoughts. What if he's still on the roster, what if Jack or TJ have a semi serious injury, does he play?

Plus if JT is still here, someone has to be cut. JT makes 16. Maybe McBob isn't a player in the league, but it would be a shame to have him cut before getting much of a chance to find out, especially because of Tinsley still being here.

Mood

Man I hate that we have to cut anyone not name Tinsley.

Mood

Maybe they're waiting to see what their finances look like after Tinsley and whomever else is traded? Perhaps waiting until after September 9th.

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    Seriously? Lets relax. We can match any offer given to Danny. If Josh Smith can be had by the Hawks, then we should get Danny. I say let him test the market. I think we would get a better deal.

Just like the Hawks did Josh Childress! They thought they were in the drivers seat and fiddled around not signing him waiting until an offer came. Guess what? The offer came and it was more than they could or would pay from a source they hadn't counted on. They lost him after Sund stated numerous times Childress and Smith would be re-signed. Sund stated their signings were top priorities. The Hawks lost a key player who will be missed this season by playing around waiting on a team to make Childress an offer. Can the Pacers truly afford to do the same?

What IF Ben Gordon doesn't get the contract he expects from the Bulls, and he opts to go to Europe for the money? What's to keep Granger from doing the same next year? Not saying Granger would, but it makes negotiating next year more difficult for the Pacers. My feeling is you sign him now if at all possible to a contract that is liveable with both sides so as not to have to do it next year. If Granger has a stellar season this year, it's going to cost the Pacers even more money. So why not sign he now?

B/c of their losing Childress the Hawks couldn't afford to lose Smith and probably paid more than they truly wanted. Not to mention upsetting Smith with the way they progressed with the negotiations.

I agree negotiations are tricky with both sides having wants, but not doing any negotiating with October next month is just asininely silly. I'm not suggesting to give the farm away to Granger, but why not at least make him a fair offer. It then is in his court, and TPTB don't look like they don't care or are doing nothing. We are dealing with human feelings, and they can be hurt easily. Not to mention if Granger goes to RFA and another team offers more than the Pacers are willing to pay, the Pacers lose Granger and get nothing in return. It won't be like the NO and Peja situation again falling into a 7.5 mil TE. Zippo. Who's team is it going to be then if Granger leaves? The average Joe reconizes Granger's name and face. Can the Pacers afford to start over in this regards?

I just think it's silly that there has been little negotiations by the Pacers. JMOAA

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Exactly my thoughts. What if he's still on the roster, what if Jack or TJ have a semi serious injury, does he play?

Plus if JT is still here, someone has to be cut. JT makes 16. Maybe McBob isn't a player in the league, but it would be a shame to have him cut before getting much of a chance to find out, especially because of Tinsley still being here.
    I got from the Wells article that the chances are extremely slim that Tinsley is going to be bought out, so your thought about Tinsley being on the roster and ever playing again is extremely scarey. I just can't see how ownership can afford to have Tinsley on this team in any form or fashion let alone allowed to ever play again for the Pacers. I just can't see how ownership can allow Tinsley to be associated with this team for the good of the franchise. JMOAA

Mood

Did you all catch the part where Wells said they took Tinsley's name plate off of his locker? He is not suiting up, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I got from the Wells article that the chances are extremely slim that Tinsley is going to be bought out, so your thought about Tinsley being on the roster and ever playing again is extremely scarey. I just can't see how ownership can afford to have Tinsley on this team in any form or fashion let alone allowed to ever play again for the Pacers. I just can't see how ownership can allow Tinsley to be associated with this team for the good of the franchise. JMOAA
    Agreed, it would be a PR nightmare and a weight for the team and coaches to bear.

Mood

My dad said that his ticket agent went to a Pacers party where Bird said (a lot of here say I know) that Tinsley will not be a Pacer again. Whatever that means. i just don't see Tinsley suiting up in the Blue and Gold again.
    Last edited by Major Cold; 09-04-2008 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Did you all catch the part where Wells said they took Tinsley's name plate off of his locker? He is not suiting up, folks.
    I looked at this article this morning and either I missed it or it has been updated. I don't think the line about "Don't be surprised if Granger doesn't get an extension before the end of October." was there either????

Good catch though, I would guess that is a pretty good indicator he's not going to be here.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Just like the Hawks did Josh Childress! They thought they were in the drivers seat and fiddled around not signing him waiting until an offer came. Guess what? The offer came and it was more than they could or would pay from a source they hadn't counted on. They lost him after Sund stated numerous times Childress and Smith would be re-signed. Sund stated their signings were top priorities. The Hawks lost a key player who will be missed this season by playing around waiting on a team to make Childress an offer. Can the Pacers truly afford to do the same?

What IF Ben Gordon doesn't get the contract he expects from the Bulls, and he opts to go to Europe for the money? What's to keep Granger from doing the same next year? Not saying Granger would, but it makes negotiating next year more difficult for the Pacers. My feeling is you sign him now if at all possible to a contract that is liveable with both sides so as not to have to do it next year. If Granger has a stellar season this year, it's going to cost the Pacers even more money. So why not sign he now?

B/c of their losing Childress the Hawks couldn't afford to lose Smith and probably paid more than they truly wanted. Not to mention upsetting Smith with the way they progressed with the negotiations.

I agree negotiations are tricky with both sides having wants, but not doing any negotiating with October next month is just asininely silly. I'm not suggesting to give the farm away to Granger, but why not at least make him a fair offer. It then is in his court, and TPTB don't look like they don't care or are doing nothing. We are dealing with human feelings, and they can be hurt easily. Not to mention if Granger goes to RFA and another team offers more than the Pacers are willing to pay, the Pacers lose Granger and get nothing in return. It won't be like the NO and Peja situation again falling into a 7.5 mil TE. Zippo. Who's team is it going to be then if Granger leaves? The average Joe reconizes Granger's name and face. Can the Pacers afford to start over in this regards?

I just think it's silly that there has been little negotiations by the Pacers. JMOAA
    11.6 a year for Josh Smith is not that bad. Two teams were willing to pay him that. No teams in Europe would pay Danny that. 5 years 58 million is what this team should shoot for with Danny.

2009 RFA:
    Andrew Bynum
    David Lee
    Marvin Williams
    Danny Granger
    Raymond Felton
    Charlie Villanueva
    Hakim Warrick
    Jason Maxiell
    Nate Robinson

Kobe could opt out (LA sours maybe Italy sounds better)
    Carlos Boozer is on the market
    Lamar Odom
    Allen Iverson
    Steve Nash
    Shawn Marion

The market this year was different than what it will be next year. It is a favorable market for teams IMO. Chances are teams are not going to throw 13 million on Danny if they can get Shawn Marion or Lamar Odom for less time and maybe less money.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    11.6 a year for Josh Smith is not that bad. Two teams were willing to pay him that. No teams in Europe would pay Danny that. 5 years 58 million is what this team should shoot for with Danny.

2009 RFA:
    Andrew Bynum
    David Lee
    Marvin Williams
    Danny Granger
    Raymond Felton
    Charlie Villanueva
    Hakim Warrick
    Jason Maxiell
    Nate Robinson

Kobe could opt out (LA sours maybe Italy sounds better)
    Carlos Boozer is on the market
    Lamar Odom
    Allen Iverson
    Steve Nash
    Shawn Marion

The market this year was different than what it will be next year. It is a favorable market for teams IMO. Chances are teams are not going to throw 13 million on Danny if they can get Shawn Marion or Lamar Odom for less time and maybe less money.

Knowing that the Blazers will likely be looking for a new Starting SF ( I doubt that Outlaw or Webster fit the bill ) next offseason, Marion is the only Player on that list ( that could be considered a SF ) that I would even is better ( right now ) then Granger. But knowing that KP and the Blazers are looking for a younger Starting Quality SF with some updside to build a huge core around....then I would think that Granger is their PRIME Target.

I really hope that the most that Granger and his Agent ask for is $12 mil for 6 years....but if it's anything close to what Deng/Iggy got ( up to $13 mil for 6 years )...then I will live with it. I really think that the Blazers are going to go over the top since they know that the Pacers will match anything that is within reason.

And if you don't think that the Blazers won't overspend....you can only look to the Blazers deep pockets to see how much they will likely spend to get their future Starting SF.
    Last edited by CableKC; 09-04-2008 at 01:06 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Please do not give Granger more than 11 million.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JGray View Post
    Please do not give Granger more than 11 million.
    I don't want to....but I don't think we have any choice. The Market Value for Granger has pretty much been set with the likes of Josh Smith / Luol Deng / Iggy.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Maybe they're waiting to see what their finances look like after Tinsley and whomever else is traded? Perhaps waiting until after September 9th.
    Don't talk reasonable. Jump off the roof like everyone else.

Who seriously thinks that David Morway is going into this totally clueless and stupid? He's just sitting there with no idea what the market for Danny is or could become, just playing some big gamble for a franchise that knows it can't gamble and needs every good story/person it can't get.

And on top of that who says the agent is a good guy or being reasonable? I don't get the assumptions that Oliver Twist Granger is pathetically sitting there saying "please sir, may I have a crumb of money" and Scrooge Bird/Morway is pushing him off into the gutter on his way to sleep on a pile of cash.

There will be plenty of time to be PO'd if they blow a deal with Danny and he goes somewhere else next year. Till then maybe assume they at least don't have their fingers in their nose. Heck, I'm not even a Bird believer and I don't think he and Morway are lost in the woods on this one.