Thread: CSKA Moscow offers Ben Gordon $5,5 Million contract

Default CSKA Moscow offers Ben Gordon $5,5 Million contract

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=232078&src=150

Gordon going to Russia?
    By Mike McGraw | Daily Herald StaffContact writerPublished: 9/3/2008 12:05

Multiple Internet reports based in Europe suggested Tuesday that Bulls guard Ben Gordon has had talks with overseas power CSKA Moscow about signing a one-year contract. Gordon, a restricted free agent, and the Bulls have been in a negotiating stalemate all summer.

Reached Tuesday, Gordon said he'd prefer not to comment on the reports. His agent, Raymond Brothers, did not return a phone message.

It's possible Gordon would prefer joining a European team over signing the one-year qualifying offer from the Bulls worth $6.4 million. One site pegged CSKA's offer at $5.5 million. Either way, Gordon would become an unrestricted free agent next summer, when several NBA clubs are expected to have salary-cap room.

If he signs the Bulls' one-year qualifying offer, Gordon's playing time could conceivably drop because the team has a surplus of guards and he would be expected to leave after the season. The No. 3 pick of the 2004 draft, Gordon has been the Bulls' top scorer for the past three years.

Whether Gordon is simply trying to gain some leverage in negotiations with the Bulls or if he's serious about moving to Moscow is anyone's guess. CSKA won its second Euroleague title in three years last spring with players such as former Duke guard Trajan Langdon and ex-Bulls forward Viktor Khryapa.

The Bulls are believed to be offering Gordon a six-year deal worth around $59 million. NBA training camps will open the week of Sept. 28.
    wow

so:
    1. do you think he'll sign?
    2. is it going to revive interest for him in the league?
    3. if he really could be added for this price should we sign him?

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: CSKA Moscow offers Ben Gordon $5,5 Million contract

he will resign with the Bulls before he goes over seas. he better hope he gets a long term deal or when the real FA hit the market in a couple of years, he will be playing over seas.

Quote Originally Posted by BKK View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=232078&src=150

wow

so:
    1. do you think he'll sign?
    Well, he's proven he's an idiot if he hasn't taken the 6/59 the Bulls have supposely offered him, so anything's possible.

2. is it going to revive interest for him in the league?
    Not unless it suddenly imbues him with PG skills or makes him 6'6".

3. if he really could be added for this price should we sign him?
    If the Bulls have made a qualifying offer at $6.4, then they can match any NBA offer. If we signed him for the MLE (which would be the most we could offer), I would guess the Bulls would match in a heartbeat, as it would be cheaper than the one-year tender.

But what if a team would offer him the MLE for many years...would the Bulls still match that?

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    But what if a team would offer him the MLE for many years...would the Bulls still match that?
    Absolutely.

They've supposedly offered him 6/59. A full MLE would be something like 5/30. One would think that if they were willing to pay him $9.8mm per year, they'd be willing to match $6mm per year.

Plus, if they didn't want to keep him, they'd have a young scorer locked up on a cheap contract...eminently tradeable.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Absolutely.

They've supposedly offered him 6/59. A full MLE would be something like 5/30. One would think that if they were willing to pay him $9.8mm per year, they'd be willing to match $6mm per year.

Plus, if they didn't want to keep him, they'd have a young scorer locked up on a cheap contract...eminently tradeable.
    Oh ok. I thought their qual offer was ridiculously low...I didn't think the Ben Gordon market was that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Oh ok. I thought their qual offer was ridiculously low...I didn't think the Ben Gordon market was that bad.
    The qualifying offer is defined by the CBA. They had to make it to ensure that they kept right of first refusal. For example, if Danny isn't signed this summer, one of the possibilities will be him taking the one-year qualifying offer from the Pacers, which would be about $3.3mm. The reason that Danny (or Ben Gordon) might take that type of offer is that it would allow them to become unrestricted free agents the following summer. It would be basically a statement of intent to leave the franchise. This seems a viable possibility with Gordon, but it would be a worst case scenario (for the Pacers) with Danny.

The 6/59 was just pulled from the article at the top of the thread...I don't know how reliable it is, but it seems to be pretty consistent with where I think his market value should be and the 5/50 extension they offered last summer.

He'd do better in Europe anyway.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    He'd do better in Europe anyway.
    I agree.

If he could get 7 mil( Josh Childress money) from a Euro team and they pay the taxes, he has to take it. The Bulls are loaded at guard, so why not? The NBA will always be there later. The bottom line is it's a business.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    The NBA will always be there later.
    Maybe.

The reality is that he really doesn't have an NBA position. He's not a PG in the least, and he's not really anybody's solution as a starting SG. He refuses to come off the bench.

I think Chicago offered him too much, honestly. If the Pacers signed him for that amount, I'd put him ahead of Trophy in the "trade right now" list.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/303751

Yeah it's in russian, but CSKA's gm says that it's a bunch of bs. Gordon's agent is just trying too hard.

Maybe.

The reality is that he really doesn't have an NBA position. He's not a PG in the least, and he's not really anybody's solution as a starting SG. He refuses to come off the bench.

I think Chicago offered him too much, honestly. If the Pacers signed him for that amount, I'd put him ahead of Trophy in the "trade right now" list.
    There are numerous good NBA players who are "tweeners." It doesn't make that much of a difference if he's a PG or a SG, he's a scorer who can make clutch shots. You know those shots Reggie use to make, but JO couldn't.

With 30 NBA teams there will be numerous teams willing to sign him if he goes to Europe to play then comes back to the NBA. He's a proven player.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    The 6/59 was just pulled from the article at the top of the thread...I don't know how reliable it is, but it seems to be pretty consistent with where I think his market value should be and the 5/50 extension they offered last summer.
    Maybe.

In looking at it again, I might agree with you that the 6/59 is too much. He can score, and in the right situation, he could be a big time asset, but probably along the lines of a Vinnie-Johnson-Microwave type player. It's hard to tell what that would be worth these days.

He did average over 21 pts a game on a 49-win team. It's just hard to invest a lot of money in a 6' 2 1/2" Shooting Guard.

There are numerous good NBA players who are "tweeners." It doesn't make that much of a difference if he's a PG or a SG, he's a scorer who can make clutch shots. You know those shots Reggie use to make, but JO couldn't.

With 30 NBA teams there will be numerous teams willing to sign him if he goes to Europe to play then comes back to the NBA. He's a proven player.
    Latrell Sprewell Jr....His mentality bothers me. I think he overvalues himself, and is looking more like a ME-first guy by the minute.

There are numerous good NBA players who are "tweeners." It doesn't make that much of a difference if he's a PG or a SG, he's a scorer who can make clutch shots.
    Tweeners do best off the bench. Gordon has made it clear that he considers such a situation beneath him.

He's not worth what he's being offered, let alone the amount he's holding out for.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    Latrell Sprewell Jr....His mentality bothers me. I think he overvalues himself, and is looking more like a ME-first guy by the minute.
    WOW! How things have changed. Just a number of months back Pacer posters were falling all over themselves wanting to acquire Gordon. He's not coming to the Pacers, so I don't really give a care about what he does or does not sign for. Gordon just wants what he sees other players getting. I can't blame him for wanting it. I blame the franchises for paying it.

WOW! How things have changed. Just a number of months back Pacer posters were falling all over themselves wanting to acquire Gordon.
    Not me.

Enjoy your time at PD!

WOW! How things have changed. Just a number of months back Pacer posters were falling all over themselves wanting to acquire Gordon. He's not coming to the Pacers, so I don't really give a care about what he does or does not sign for. Gordon just wants what he sees other players getting. I can't blame him for wanting it. I blame the franchises for paying it.
    Not me.

Not me either, in particular, but a number of months back the Pacers backcourt looked like this:

Tinsley, Diener, Murray, Dunleavy, Kareem Rush, Marquis Daniels, and Stephen Graham.

Now, it looks more like this:

TJ Ford, Jarrett Jack, Diener, Dunleavy, Brandon Rush, Marquis Daniels and Stephen Graham.

This have changed quite a bit, and while Ben Gordon may prove to be a better pro than Brandon Rush, I'd rather have B Rush on a rookie contract, along with the rest of this backcourt than BG at 10+mm per annum.