Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who Is The Best Big Man Of All Time?

Default Who Is The Best Big Man Of All Time?

I had an interesting debate today about some of the best big men of all time, and who I thought was the best. In my time, the best big man I ever saw was Olajuwon. Just curious as to whom some of you would give the title of best big man to.

Default Re: Who Is The Best Big Man Of All Time?

I don't see how it can't be Wilt. The only way I see it being someone else is if you apply a heavy title-winning modifier, which would give it to Bill Russell, who was also tremendous.

Never got to see Wilt play. Hakeem had a dazzling array of post moves that just left defenders spinning in place. Wilt and Shaq strike me as the most dominant. McHale is just a bit outside my time as well. Defensively, there was and is no one like Russell. But I still tip my hat to the dream. He wasn't the biggest, nor was he the strongest, but down on the block, he was just pure.

Banned

I could see a case being made for Kareem due to being arguably the most overall accomplished basketball player of all-time, and a case for Bill Russell due to his handfulls of championship rings, but my money's on Wilt Chamberlain.

Gotta go back to the big two - Wilt & Russell. The only ones who've come close are Lew Alcindor/Kareem and Olajuwon.

Then shouldn't the title of this thread be "who is the best big man you have ever seen"?

Because as Hicks said how anyone can even question Wilt is beyond me.

Forget the 100 point game, take the 55 rebound game into consideration. 55 rebounds against? Bill Russell and the Celtics.

If blocked shots were kept back then it has been said that Wilt would have averaged a triple double every year for 10 years.

Now if you want to go off of who we have seen? That would be a tough one for me.

Hakeem was beyond good without a doubt, however Shaq had games in the finals vs. us that we just could not contend with.

Robinson was probably the best big man athlete that I have ever seen and Ewing caused us more trouble than anyone else ever has.

Honestly, I don't know.

All I can say is that my gut always has told me that we should all thank God that David Robinson was a nice person because the physic on the guy always led me to believe that if he ever had an attitude or an anger issue I don't think that there were many people that were going to stop him. Shaq was stronger but David was 10x faster and more athletic.

I think if Robinson would have had a differant mindset that he would really have been hands down the best center of his era but he just did not have the killer mindset that he needed.

Ewing never won anything so I guess that takes him out of the running although I will say that there was never another center that I wanted to face less.

Shaq has a power game and you aren't going to stop it. However he is also very weak as a free throw shooter and frankly I think over his career he would have blocked more shots and rebounded better.

That leaves me with Hakeem and David.

I'll go with Hakeem because he was smooth, however I always will believe that Robinson was better but just did not have the killer mindset to get there.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wilt
    Russell
    Hakeem
    Kareem
    Shaq
    David Robinson

Wilt was a poor free throw shooter as well.

Kevin McHale should not be mentioned with these others. He was just a good player who had the advanage of being on the same team as Larry Bird.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

1. Wilt Chamberlain

2. Bill Russell

3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

4. Hakeem Olajuwon

5. Moses Malone

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wilt
    Russell
    Hakeem
    Kareem
    Shaq
    David Robinson
    I like this list except I would put Robinson ahead of Shaq.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    I had an interesting debate today about some of the best big men of all time, and who I thought was the best. In my time, the best big man I ever saw was Olajuwon. Just curious as to whom some of you would give the title of best big man to.
    Without a doubt Wilt Chamberlain

although there are quite a few other big men throught the history of the NBA.. but none I think made the impact that he did...
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

all time of my time:
    David Robinson
    Olajuwon

all time of all time:
    Russel
    Wilt

I would also mention Duncan...
    Last edited by BKK; 09-01-2008 at 03:47 AM.

This must be a bad dream.
    Mood

Sports Logo

Had Olajuwon played in the late 50's and throughout the 60's, he likely would
    have pwned both Chamberlain and Russel.

Shaq evidently is the most least popular center of all time. I can't believe the lengths people are going to leave him off.

The standard answer to this question is Wilt, Russell, Kareem, Hakeem and Shaq.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

I'm a little surprised Tim Duncan is not in this thread. I would rank them as follows:

Wilt the Stilt - The Best Big Man of All-time hands down.

Shaq - most physically dominant and in his prime may have stopped Wilt. Oh, how quickly we forget how he changed the game.

Russell - Best Defensive Player of All-Time and one of the biggest head cases.

Kareem - Best skyhook and second best offensive big man of all time.

The Dream - best post moves ever seen and one of the most
    mobile centers of all-time.

Duncan - Yes, he is better than Mr. Robinson was. I think we underrate players of this era in fact.

Mr. Robinson - The Nicest Big Man of All-Time and a credit to the NBA. He would have been closer to the top of this list if he had a mean streak.

Edit: Ok, I see someone mentioned him...
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 09-01-2008 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by burnzone View Post
    1. Wilt Chamberlain

2. Bill Russell

3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

4. Hakeem Olajuwon

5. Moses Malone
    I like this list except my question becomes whether this is about big men or centers. If it's big men, I'd change Moses to Karl. The top 4 are set in stone for me as centers while at number 5 I can swap between MM, David Robinson & Shaq on about a daily basis - and I might add Artis Gilmore to the mix.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I would go with Wilt, however some everyone is leaving off Bill Walton. I have always said that when healthy Walton was the best all around center to ever play the game.

Wilt
    Russell
    Walton
    Jabbar
    The Dream
    Shaq
    Good is the enemy of Great

We're changing the identity of our basketball team -- dramatically. We're a power post team -- a blood-and-guts, old-school, smash-mouth team that plays with size, strength, speed and athleticism. We attack the basket. . . . This is the new identity of our team. It was a great effort. I'm very proud of our guys."
    -- Frank Vogel.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If you were able to ask Wilt, he would tell you it was Russell. If you ask Russell today, he says it's Wilt. As far as I'm concerned, they are interchangeable at 1a and 1b. Kareem and Olajuwan are right behind them though. After that, I think it's a pretty big drop off to the next tier of big men.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post
    Had Olajuwon played in the late 50's and throughout the 60's, he likely would
    have pwned both Chamberlain and Russel.
    Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, ever EVER owned either of those guys. They didn't even own each other. I'm not saying Olajuwan wouldn't have held his own, but I don't think there is any way he'd have dominated them to that extent.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    I like this list except my question becomes whether this is about big men or centers. If it's big men, I'd change Moses to Karl. The top 4 are set in stone for me as centers while at number 5 I can swap between MM, David Robinson & Shaq on about a daily basis - and I might add Artis Gilmore to the mix.
    I'd have to disagree with Artis Gilmore being any part of this conversation. I remember watching him and laughing at his terrible habit of trying to take a dribble when he had the ball in the paint.

If I have to pick 1, it would be Jabbar. He made every team he ever played on a contender. The best combination of fundamentals, athleticism, and basketball IQ. His only weakness might have been rebounding and he wasn't bad at that.

I am not old enough to remember Russell playing. I do remember Wilt toward the end of his career. Wilt was still a dominating player but struggled greatly at the free throw line. I remember seeing him trying to shoot them underhand for awhile and also trying to move back to the top of the key and shoot them. He would really get mad when he was fouled. It was funny to watch.
    Russell and Wilt were still 2 of the greatest and their battles with each other are legend.
    Last edited by dlewyus; 09-01-2008 at 09:22 AM.

1. Russell
    2. Chamberlain
    3. O' Neal
    4. Hakeem
    5. Kareem

I would also throw in Duncan into this mix because if championships are a major factor I do not know how you do not include him. He can play 15 ft from the basket and spot up the bank shot better than any 5 I have seen before. Chamberlain and Russell were dominate during their days. O'Neal during the 90s was just unstoppable. Hakeem was the most dominate center during the Houston era and Kareem was just unstoppable with his sky hook.

I'm also too young to remember Wilt but I'd still put him as the best of all time.
    Hakeem was the best big man I've ever watched. He flat out schooled O'neal when they matched up early in O'neals career.

Wilt Chamberlin. Nothing more needs to be said other than NO other center mentioned could or would have dominated Wilt.

I can remember when he came into the NBA, I remember those games between him and Russell, I remember how poor of a FT shooter he was, but most of all I remember his greatness on the court as a player. He was extremely athletic for his size with an ego bigger than he was. He was just Wilt the Stilt in all his greatness. Hands down the best ever big man.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar busted his buns every night; don't forget he had to drag Walton and Lambier up and down the court for 48 minutes.

Mood

Tim Duncan is the best big man I have ever seen
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond