View Poll Results: what whould you with tinsley?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • buy him out just get over with!

8 12.70%
  • trade him for somethign we can use

28 44.44%
  • trade him dont care what we get back

22 34.92%
  • keep him (hell no)

5 7.94%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do with tinsley?

GAS PRICES ARE KILLING ME BlazinPacers247's Avatar

Angry What would you do with tinsley?

since i waiting like forever about tinsley be gone before season starts but i running out tie for this if we had the power what whould ya do? i say cut him (buyout) bye then start fresh he just A OMEN seriously
    Last edited by BlazinPacers247; 08-29-2008 at 07:11 PM.
    PACERS 2008 NBA DRAFT WILL CHANGE PACERS HISTORY! 06-25-08 1 37pm (I said it and when there!)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What would you do with tinsley?

We should be able to get something we can use....I'm willing to wait til the ASB to get it.

I just think it would be better if we just got rid of him, but I honestly do not care what we get back as long as it is someone that is not related to Tins.

"The Dog"

While I would like to get something back, I would also take nothing at all.

Anyway, the fact he will not be on the floor is enough for me. So, as far as I'm concerned, all the cancer has left the body...

Good times, baby!

op... I get the gist of what you are trying to say,... good thing I am well versed in ebonics and broken english-speak lolz j/p op :-)

But on a serious note...

It all depends on how much buying Tinsley out is gonna hurt me financially if I am an owner....I mean as fans we can all say "just buy him out" , but it isn't our money.. So from a financial aspect , I'd say it depends on if TPTB are willing to just take a briefcase with (what is it?) 18 to 20 million dollars... and just burn that somb$tch..

If so .. buy him out..lolz

In the ideal scenerio , it would be nice to be able to package Tin up with , lets say Williams or Daniels and do a 2 for 1 ... for another bad contract..
    But albeit one with a player that can actually contribute in his tenure here , and isn't a PR problem..
    A good example would be Wally from Cleveland , and a filler ..

Our main problem with any kind of trades , is that we still have 16 players on the roster.. so whatever we do .. we are going to have to eliminate that extra player through a 2 for 1 trade or a 3 for 2 trade...

unless we just let McBob get cut... which I don't see that really happening... It seems from all the exposure he has been getting as one of our new players , that he is too important to TPTB as for PR , to just cut..

I think really that the front office has their hands full with trying to move Tinman.. without either sacrificing one of our core players... players we would really like to keep , or outright buying him out...

Even though Bird said we won't buy out Tinsley's contract... I really think it may end up being the only alternative... I think Bird was mainly saying that so that other teams won't think if they wait, they can get him for next to nothing as a FA... that's my take on it..

I think that the teams , that could use Tinsley , and are possibly interested... are probably trying to wait it out... hence the reason no deals have been put out yet.. that we know of...
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    While I would like to get something back, I would also take nothing at all.

Anyway, the fact he will not be on the floor is enough for me. So, as far as I'm concerned, all the cancer has left the body...

Good times, baby!

I agree 110% ..

But

The only reason I would NOT want him to just "stay home" and collect the check... is the fact that he takes up a roster space in which we will have to cut someone..
    I'm sorry but I just don't see the logic in cutting McBob and ESPECIALLY Maceo.. just so Tinsley can live it up and get a free check...
    The HECK with that...
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Sports Logo

I choose Option 5 ( which you didn't list ):

Trade Tinsley for anybody that does not worsen our SalaryCap and Financial situation.

This means that I don't really care who we get back as long as the Salary/Contract isn't any worse. This is different then "not caring who we get back". A prime example would be Boris Diaw. Despite filling some type of a need in the Frontcourt, his contract is worse then Tinsley and he doesn't play up to how much he is paid.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Honestly, I'd rather keep him around instead of taking a bad contract back, packing him with someone that we want to keep, or just making a bad deal in general just to ship him down the road. I'm sure his locker is no longer in the Fieldhouse, so as long as his only way into the building is with a ticket... I can live with not being in a rush to get hosed.

BlueNgold, I'm right there with you... I'd like to get something back, but if all we got in return was just getting him off our roster without having to pay him or someone just as worthless....

Where do we sign?
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 08-29-2008 at 08:12 PM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Mood

I don't mind trading him for a bad contract if the person whose name is on said contract is a rotation player with a good attitude.

I'm holding out slight hope that we have a deal in place involving someone we recently acquired (like Rasho). Not that I want Rasho out; it'd be nice to have him for the year. But then who knows what could be coming back. Maybe Zach Randolph! /sarcasm

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I don't mind trading him for a bad contract if the person whose name is on said contract is a rotation player with a good attitude.

I'm holding out slight hope that we have a deal in place involving someone we recently acquired (like Rasho). Not that I want Rasho out; it'd be nice to have him for the year. But then who knows what could be coming back. Maybe Zach Randolph! /sarcasm
    I'd disagree.... Now, my thought of a bad contract in this situation is one that is longer then the original contract. If it is the same length or shorter and we get someone that will be in the rotation. I'm right there with you. Mgmnt went a long way to gain cap flexability, why muck it up when the only thing that he is taking up is a roster spot for someone that is just going to be waving a towel. Anywho, once the season starts....Tinsley will be nothing but a bad memory.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I voted to keep him.

Why?

Because I have no idea what the original poster is asking.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    I'd disagree.... Now, my thought of a bad contract in this situation is one that is longer then the original contract. If it is the same length or shorter and we get someone that will be in the rotation. I'm right there with you. Mgmnt went a long way to gain cap flexability, why muck it up when the only thing that he is taking up is a roster spot for someone that is just going to be waving a towel. Anywho, once the season starts....Tinsley will be nothing but a bad memory.
    Yes, I would only do it if it's equal to the length of Tinsley's, but not longer.

As long as the player's association is OK with us paying Tinsley but not asking him to suit up or be in Conseco then I suppose even if we wait until his contract is an expiring we are ahead of the game.

I'd only buy him out under 3 main scenarios:
    The union is getting noisy
    Tinsley is getting noisy
    The buyout price is a decent deal as opposed to paying him 100%

---
    Tinsley isn't worth a union fight unless there's some breach of contract issues afoot that we're seriously going to play.

This team doesn't need any distractions so unless we're on some seriously solid footing I don't see agitating the union or allowing Tinsley to somehow be a distraction to the team. If either of those issues creep up then you have to trade him for whatever ASAP or go for the buyout and ask him to send Donnie Walsh a thank you note for it.

If anyone from the team, coaches, management, etc expresses an inkling of desire to give Tinsley another shot... (even if it's a growing drumbeat from the media or fans) HE MUST GO IMMEDIATELY. Herb Simon should smash that immediately. Tinsley must be gone to this team under all scenarios. That is my ultimate fear by us hanging onto him and letting his legend grow hoping we can net a deal...eventually... for him- We hang onto him long enough and people start thinking maybe "Good Tinsley" could help us and we end up suiting him up thereby killing any momentum of getting past him. ....or we suit him up to showcase him and Good Tinsley shows up those games and some Tinsley supporters poke their heads back up again. We don't need any more polarization in the Pacer Nation.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Say it out loud. Graham Mernatsi's Avatar

I'm... speechless. I'm going to go hide in a corner and pretend it didn't happen.

Mood

I voted to just get it over with myself because I'm sick of the drama involved. He needs to move on and we already have moved on. We have our TJ Ford Shelby and we're ready to drive it.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hope they trade him for a box of Eggo Waffles, I'm hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mernatsi View Post

I'm... speechless. I'm going to go hide in a corner and pretend it didn't happen.

Makes OPL sound like a Rhodes Scholar, huh?

My favorite part of the poll is where you write "hell no" next to one choice in an apparent attempt to skew poll results. Lovely.

Banned

At this point, any deal that doesn't bring back a worse contract would be considered a worthy trade. If it happens to bring back someone servicable in the process, then all the better.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    I voted to just get it over with myself because I'm sick of the drama involved. He needs to move on and we already have moved on. We have our TJ Ford Shelby and we're ready to drive it.
    The drama is over IMO and to be honest, I'm past this.

He is only a Pacer in terms of a financial obligation or like an outstanding, unpaid fine. He's a nothing otherwise, because he won't see the court. Yes, he will hinder us financially, but so does Murphy. So did JO for that matter. The "team", he is not really part of, which is what I plan to focus on and I hope the fan-base focuses on.

Quote Originally Posted by BlazinPacers247 View Post
    since i waiting like forever about tinsley be gone before season starts but i running out tie for this if we had the power what whould ya do? i say cut him (buyout) bye then start fresh he just A OMEN seriously

I'd hire him to teach English composition.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    I'd hire him to teach English composition.
    I'm afraid the language is already "de-composing" in some areas.

Start him!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    The drama is over IMO and to be honest, I'm past this.

He is only a Pacer in terms of a financial obligation or like an outstanding, unpaid fine. He's a nothing otherwise, because he won't see the court. Yes, he will hinder us financially, but so does Murphy. So did JO for that matter. The "team", he is not really part of, which is what I plan to focus on and I hope the fan-base focuses on.

As long as he's not been boughtout and is being paid a salary, HE'S PART OF THE TEAM! If you don't think so, just let him cause an off court PR problem while still being paid a salary. All the good PR that has been done gets flushed down the toilet, b/c the average fan just sees Tinsley as a member of the Pacers. It won't make any difference he isn't playing, for in their eyes he's a Pacer. To the average Indiana resident things with the Pacers haven't changed in their view regardless if he's sitting home and not an active playing member.

The REAL question is "can ownership take the chance of Tinsley causing them another PR nightmare?"

If you can't find a trade for him, the only option is a buyout. I am against buying Tinsley out, but keeping him on the payroll for the next 3 years hoping he plays the good citizen while trying to trade him isn't an option either. It's like with Artest. It wasn't if he'd cause another PR nightmare, but when would he cause it. Same applies to Tinsley.

If I was ownership, I'd try to do everything possible to trade Tinsley(which I'm sure is being done), and if no trade comes by the beginning of the season or maybe the 1st 10-15 games then I'd buy him out. The only reason I'd wait until 10-15 games is maybe a team waiting for a buyout would decide they can't wait any longer, and would then make a deal for him. Otherwise, I negotiate the best buyout possible, and order a moving van to move him to his destination of choice anywhere outside Indiana.

If the roster is still at 16 at the beginning of the season, I cut Baston, unless McRoberts doesn't show anything thru practice and the pre-season. After Tinsley is gone, one way or another, the Pacers can pick up another player if necessary to replace whoever. JMOAA
    Last edited by Justin Tyme; 08-30-2008 at 11:40 AM.

The thing with this question is to distinguish what we wanna do and what we can do. Obvioulsy I'd like to trade him for something useful but it's the most difficult task from all of these. I still think that JT has some value and could be traded... we could get something useful on the court as has been mentionned but this deal will most likely not be better in financial terms than keeping him.

Quote Originally Posted by BKK View Post
    The thing with this question is to distinguish what we wanna do and what we can do. Obvioulsy I'd like to trade him for something useful but it's the most difficult task from all of these. I still think that JT has some value and could be traded... we could get something useful on the court as has been mentionned but this deal will most likely not be better in financial terms than keeping him.
    If the financial aspect of a player being taken back is the same as Tinsley, it makes no difference if that player can contibute or not. If the player is a solid citzen type player, you take the deal! It's a no brainer. You worry about how to trade that player later. You do the deal to just finally get rid of Tinsley, to close the book on him, and move on with life with never looking back! It would be like Atlas having the world lifted off his shoulders.