Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN East Forecast

Default ESPN East Forecast

Default Re: ESPN East Forecast

last year we were supposed to be 15 but ended up at 9. 6th seed here we come?

Realistically Pacers should finish at 8th or 9th spot... Miami is the most serious threat with healthy good players and a full year ahead to develop.

IMO the other teams above the Pacers and out of playoffs still have a lot of things to address to be there. There will be a tough battle for the last playoffs spots this year!

This year should definitely be interesting watching if Philly can get it together, if the moves the Bucks made will make a difference, and if the underperforming Bulls can put something together again.

The P's have a great shot at being the darkhorse this year. As long as we play better than last year and stay healthy, I feel like I'll enjoy watching all the games much moreso than last season.

And for the record...we'll get in the top 7th or 8th seed.

This year it will be very interesting to watch the east. Maybe THE coming out party of the east, we'll see.
    Pacers should make the po, but they also need time to develop team-chemistry.

He's not so far off when you consider that teams 8-12 are pretty interchangeable. Pacers are in the mix for the last seed which I completely agree with. I think Charlotte could be a sleeper too. Not convinced Toronto will impress - having JO for 40 games may be worse than having him for none.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

The Nets at 15th, They are my sleeper playoff team in the EAST.

There is 0% chance of the Nets making the playoffs in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's not so far off when you consider that teams 8-12 are pretty interchangeable. Pacers are in the mix for the last seed which I completely agree with. I think Charlotte could be a sleeper too. Not convinced Toronto will impress - having JO for 40 games may be worse than having him for none.
    As a Toronto fan, I'm back-and-forth on the whole JOw trade. There's no question that he will improve Toronto defensively in a lot of ways. However, there are concerns that I have:
    • A lot of JO's production defensively comes in the form of defensive rebounding, but Toronto was already the 4th best defensive rebounding team in the NBA last year measured by defensive rebound %;
    • Sam Mitchell's plan is to start Moon - a poor positional defender, but who blocks a lot of shots and gets deflections and steals from the weak side - along with JO - but that makes a lot of Moon's skill set somewhat redundant if not wasted;
    • JO is so offensively horrible in a lot of ways that Toronto needs (eFG% .439, TO% .152, OReb% .073) and so mediocre at getting to the line any more (FT/FGA ~ 0.23) that he will no doubt hurt them offensively almost as much as he helps defensively, if not more so if we believe Sam Mitchell when he says that Bosh and O'Neal will handle the bulk of the offensive load;
    • Based on what I understand from 82games.com and interviews of JO's, JO has a poor perimeter shot (but hasn't realized that yet), and does far better closer to the basket against smaller defenders and does far more poorly against bigger defenders when he has to wrestle them for position. Naturally, Sam Mitchell has triumphantly declared that his vision is of a walk-the-ball-up-the-floor team who pumps the ball into the post for JO to fight against bigger defenders... ;
    • to JO's eternal credit, bringing his not-quite-credible enthusiasm to this team might be just what Andrea Bargnani needs to break out of Smitch's ruining of his career. That young man has so much negativity swirling around him from the coach, seeing JO come into camp believing that he is the greatest thing since the advent of Diet Coke might just help him more than anything else the team can offer - especially given how the coaching staff refuses to work on developing him.

Sports Logo

I will say the same thing every year whenever anyone ranks us pretty low....underestimate us at your peril. We're not a guaranteed Playoff team.....but we are better then most think.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    There is 0% chance of the Nets making the playoffs in my opinion.
    That's too high.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

I personally do not read to much into these preseason predictions. These people really never do get anything correct. I mean I honestly think the pacers will have great chemistry and I really think that this team could really excel if they got the fans behind them. Hopefully the marketing dept will come out with some great ideas. It is hard to attract people when there is not a marketable player. Hopefully granger will be that guy. Dont worry Pacers fans i will support them down here in Dallas when they come down.

Mood

Everyone has their own opinion. I think we will play much better than last year and hopefully it shows with a few more wins.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Does anyone ever hold these pre-season predictions accountable at the end of the season.

Funny thing about making predictions...if you are way off base at the beginning of the season, no one really cares at the end to call you out for your next set of predictions.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    Does anyone ever hold these pre-season predictions accountable at the end of the season.

Funny thing about making predictions...if you are way off base at the beginning of the season, no one really cares at the end to call you out for your next set of predictions.
    Yup.

Unless you are professional sports book agent in Vegas, you will not be held accountable.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Preseason predictions are not weather forecasts guys - the guy is just trying to start a conversation, write an article, get some pay. The weatherman is paid to be accurate; sports writers are paid to be interesting.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Preseason predictions are not weather forecasts guys - the guy is just trying to start a conversation, write an article, get some pay. The weatherman is paid to be accurate; sports writers are paid to be interesting.
    You be goin' to that Wheaton Mall LG?

When I find it, I may pay it a visit. Only been here six days. One was for travel, the rest have been spent in the office, so - haven't seen too much of the place.

I must say, the "Go Irish" thing is killing me though.

came in a loss, Go Nets

the nets have an outside shot if a couple things happen:

-the young players actually listen to lawrence "ginger-vitis" frank instead of following the bad example set in past years by kidd, who always did his own thing and loved to undermine new jersey coaches (see byron scott)

-yi jianlian is moved to small forward with josh boone/ryan anderson at pf and sean williams/brook lopez at center. this way bobby simmons and jarvis hayes can come off the bench, keeping their minutes and hopefully their injuries down. while jianlian rebounded well in the olympics, this didnt happen against team usa where, like last nba season, he was essentially ineffective inside. this will also give more of our young bigs a chance to play and develop

-also vince carters going to have a big year, as much as i hate to say it he will carry this nets team. people are sleeping on him because an ankle injury hampered his athletic ability last season and his production and highlight reel plays dropped significantly. hes finally 100% and excited to be the undisputed leader of a young team, finally out of jason kidd's shadow

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN
    Jettisoning Jermaine O'Neal to Toronto was a bold step, and new PG T.J. Ford should keep Jim O'Brien's Pacers running. But does Larry Bird's reform movement add up to change Pacers fans can believe in?
    I can believe in them. I don't think they'll win more than 40 games, but I can believe in them.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

O'Brien: Change We Can Believe In?

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Not having JO and JT in and out and in and out of the line-up has to count for a few in the W column.

Yeah, I'm really hoping continuity will be a theme this season. Remember, JO's absence on the court was bad, but the fact that he wasn't practicing at all, more or less, hurt more when he did finally play.

As this is my last year of season tickets (mini-season) before I'm off to college I fully expect Pacers to finish out of the playoffs by a game.
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

...Just keep in mind.. Bird said we are likely not done making deals, so that #12 could go anywhere from #7 to #15. Who knows. But my guess would be that we will make one more move, and end up placing ninth after a tough playoff battle against Chicago and Atlanta. Atlanta coming out on top, and Chicago having another down year.