Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Grizzlies - Knicks trade... from Hoopsworld

Default Rumor: Grizzlies - Knicks trade... from Hoopsworld

don't think it has been mentionned yet:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9869

Evening Scoop: New York's LeBron Play?

By: Bill Ingram Last Updated: 8/27/08 6:33 PM ET | 8946 times read

Adjust font size:This morning's top NBA story, in case you missed it, was a trade rumor that the New York Knicks and Memphis Grizzlies could be close to a deal that would send Antoine Walker and Darko Milicic to the Knicks for the often-rumored Zach Randolph. No doubt Knicks fans are scratching their heads . . .and maybe Grizzlies fans, too.

First of all, Randolph isn't as bad as I've heard people saying. He's an incredibly charismatic guy, even crazy funny at times, but he's really a big kid. He goes with the flow and is very easily influenced. It all comes down to who you want influencing him. In New York he doesn't have much to choose from, but in Memphis he would have some outstanding guidance from the likes of Mike Conley, Rudy Gay, and now OJ Mayo - all of them outstanding citizens as well as being gifted basketball players. Marc Iavaroni, too, is a strong personality who could guide Zach in the right direction. The Grizzlies' run-and-gun style of play would most certainly benefit Randolph, who is a great rebounder and scorer but struggles to commit to the defensive end. In this case a great offense could turn out to be his best defense.

On the Knicks side of the ledger, this would be all about taking $17 million off of their payroll in time for the 2010 NBA free agency period. Milicic's deal ends that summer and Walker's contract has a player option that could take him off the books even a year earlier should he choose to exercise it. Ultimately, the move would be made in order to set up a courtship of the Cleveland Cavaliers' LeBron James.

When you consider that the Grizzlies need another legit seven-footer to play alongside Marc Gasol and the Knicks are all about cap space in 2010, all of a sudden this move makes a lot of sense. As Steve Kyler reported this morning, a source close to the Grizzlies situation is admitting they're considering it, so stay tuned for more on this possible trade.
    Donnie seems to still be in the game, trading the untradable... Good luck to make it actually happen...

Default Re: Rumor: Grizzlies - Knicks trade... from Hoopsworld

I still think there's a possibility that with the right coach Randolph would commit to the defensive end - and all of a sudden he's worth his salary (well, nobody's really worth it but in NBA terms he would be).

I don't think we'd hold off on a trade based on that possibility but while I'm all for seeing Zach gone, I'm not a member of the Chicken Little Society if he stays.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still think there's a possibility that with the right coach Randolph would commit to the defensive end - and all of a sudden he's worth his salary (well, nobody's really worth it but in NBA terms he would be).

I don't think we'd hold off on a trade based on that possibility but while I'm all for seeing Zach gone, I'm not a member of the Chicken Little Society if he stays.
    are you really suggesting mike d'antoni is the coach that could get ZBo to commit defensively?
    This is the darkest timeline.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mo Cheeks and Nate McMillan couldn't and personally I think they're good defensive coaches. I think it would take a Larry Brown, Popovich, or Phil Jackson (high profile) type coach to get and keep his attention on the defensive end.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Mo Cheeks and Nate McMillan couldn't and personally I think they're good defensive coaches. I think it would take a Larry Brown, Popovich, or Phil Jackson (high profile) type coach to get and keep his attention on the defensive end.
    Maybe - he's also 27 now, not 23. And during his last season in Portland McMillin was pretty complimentary about how far he'd come defensively. Maybe that was hype to help trade him and last year was a train wreck on D but that was with Zeke so nothing from the last two Knick seasons counts.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I still think there's a possibility that with the right coach Randolph would commit to the defensive end
    You really think Donnie can work out a deal with the 1988 Pistons?
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

That would be a great trade for NY.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

If this happens, that means it will be the 4th team for Darko in 5 years!

IMO Zach's shortcomings are not only related to D. As stated in the article he's still a kid and clearly lacks maturity and focus on the game so far. It's a problem of consistency because he's shown great flashes of brillance when focused both on the offensive and defensive end. But it's a rare feat and maybe I'm wrong but I have the feeling it's getting worse with each season.

Now granted as DisplacedKnick noted last season with Zeke was probably not the best environment and playing alongside Eddy Curry rather amplified his flaws esp on defense and not sharing the ball.

Zach just needs to grow up, understand his tremendous talent cannot come on its own and really start working.

I think the trade would be fair for both sides, NY gets the cap relief they're looking for in serviceable players who are pretty coachable and should fit the system. And Memphis takes a high risk that COULD turn out great for them.

Now it's hoopsworld so I'm waiting for this thing to become official

I love how OJ Mayo is now considered an outstanding citizen when all through the draft you heard about his character issues. I know he was a good kid during his time at USC, but I don't think I'd throw him the outstanding category just yet.

I also like the idea that 3 20 year olds are going to be the leaders that can really influence Zach Randolph. If I'm Chris Wallace, Randolph is the exact kind of guy that I don't want anywhere near my youngsters.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    I love how OJ Mayo is now considered an outstanding citizen when all through the draft you heard about his character issues. I know he was a good kid during his time at USC, but I don't think I'd throw him the outstanding category just yet.

I also like the idea that 3 20 year olds are going to be the leaders that can really influence Zach Randolph. If I'm Chris Wallace, Randolph is the exact kind of guy that I don't want anywhere near my youngsters.
    yeah, reading the article I thought it was a little optimistic too to rely on guys with little nba experience to influence Zach...
    the key will be the coaching staff IMO but it's far from a guarantee

Sports Logo

I still dont know why they moved Gasol if they feel that they needed an experienced PF....I thought they moved him due to financial needs. Gasol earns the same amount as Randolph.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Yeah, but anyone is better than Shimmy.

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post

Keep in mind, this is Chris Wallace we're talking about. He's quite possibly the worst GM in the history of the league, and it makes perfect sense for him to be Donnie's first victim in his new job in NY.

Umm...Is is just me, or did that Gasol for Gasol trade actually make a lot of sense for the Grizzlies? It seems like they traded for a younger, cheaper, tougher version of Pau, even if he's not quite as talented. He's a baller, I don't think it's fair to crap on Wallace for that trade, especially as he's limited by cheap ownership that wants to cut costs. If their ownership ever committs to winning, they have some quality young perimeter players, a beast in Gasol, and tons of cap space.

Well, that trade enabled them to suck more to make that trade for Mayo (even though they had to lose Mike Miller), if nothing else.

I think that in the right system, Randolph could flourish. He's obviously got talent on the offensive side and if he could add work on his defense, he could be a really good player on both ends of the floor. Although he is 27 now, he needs a strong mentor -- whether that's a coach or a veteran player to help push him further. I think if he were playing along side a superstar player like a Kobe or Lebron, he could become an excellent player on both ends as they would not tolerate his complaining and would force him to play on both ends.

I look at Z-Bo and see a little Stephen Jackson. We all knew that Jack could put numbers up on offense, but would always get caught complaining about non-calls and it would be 4 on 5 down the court. Since he has gone to Golden State, the complaining has decreased and the fans there have embraced him. I think if Z-Bo became more patient and didn't worry about the ticky tack calls, he would be a very good player.

As far as the deal, Walker is in the last year of his deal and Darko has this year and next. Knicks are just looking to shed salary for a potential run in 2010, which would give them a cap of about 28.2 million not couting any extensions for Lee, Collins, Robinson or Duhon.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    As far as the deal, Walker is in the last year of his deal and Darko has this year and next. Knicks are just looking to shed salary for a potential run in 2010, which would give them a cap of about 28.2 million not couting any extensions for Lee, Collins, Robinson or Duhon.
    yeah it's taken time but NY could eventually be financially "sound" very soon. They have a lot of players with early termination or player options on pretty big contracts (Curry, Crawford, Jeffries...) but I don't think these will opt out except maybe Crawford (and still, that's 2 years @ 20mil). You never know they could really have huge cap space come summer 2010 and succeed in their plans... damn if New York and New Jersey keep following this trend, there's gonna be local AS games ina few years!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Antoine, Darko AND Jeffries on the same team?

I mite ACTUALLY become a Knick fan...

DisplacedKnick, is their cookies?
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    he's limited by cheap ownership that wants to cut costs.
    Then why trade for Randolph?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BKK View Post
    yeah it's taken time but NY could eventually be financially "sound" very soon. They have a lot of players with early termination or player options on pretty big contracts (Curry, Crawford, Jeffries...) but I don't think these will opt out except maybe Crawford (and still, that's 2 years @ 20mil). You never know they could really have huge cap space come summer 2010 and succeed in their plans... damn if New York and New Jersey keep following this trend, there's gonna be local AS games ina few years!
    Not likely those players opt-out of those fat-deals!
    NYK have NO shot at 2010 FA's.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

If Knicks shed Z-Bo's contract, they have 28+ million in salary for 2010-2011 with Curry at 11.25 mil, Crawford at 10 milnd Jefferies at 6.9 million entering the last year of their contracts. Not to say that the Knicks won't be a candidate for the year of free cap space, but they COULD potentially make a run at a player or two if they are able to deal one of the mentioned above without taking on a longer deal and signing a bunch of cheaper talent.

At the same token, the Pacers 38.5 million in salary for the 2010-2011 year, but have $0 for 2011-2012 as Dunleavy and Murphy come off the books. Granted that will change when we give Granger a long term deal and are most likely going to pick up the options on Rush & Hibbert.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Then why trade for Randolph?
    I'll believe in this trade when I see it. I don't think this trade will go through, if it does, then yeah, it makes no sense. Their ownership is on record looking to sell the team and keeping costs low.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I honestly could see this trade happening, especially with the additions of Gasol and Hadidi from Iran. The previous trade with the Lakers IMO, was actually a very good trade. As Chris Wallace said when they pulled the trade off, the Grizzlies obtained four first round picks in this deal with the Lakers. And I have to agree with their reasoning. You shed the salary yes, however if you can get four first round picks for somebody you do it. OK. So they basically got two future firsts, a "first" in Gasol, and a first rounder last year in crittendon, who they supposedly love. Ironically, Kwame Brown a former #1 wasn't considered a first rounder. I think Pau is quite good, but by their interpretation his little brother is just as good if not better. So you trade one player for the somebody just as good and you get three additional first rounders AND some cap relief? I like the move.

As for Randolph, he is still fairly young. The biggest obstacle as everybody said will be having the Grizzlies take on the extra salary. If I am Wallace I strongly consider it though because you are trading trash for a very capable and talented PF. I don't worry about his attitude, because I think it has been blown out of proportion. I think he was a bit immature in Portland, but to have to be in NY the last couple of years, who wouldn't be happy to get out of there? I gamble if I am the Grizzlies, and finally spend a little money. His deal expires as Marko Jaric's does. They will need that to resign Conley, Gasol, and Crittendon for that year. Lowry and Gay expire the year before but they will be plenty under the cap to resign Gay and probably will have traded Lowry by then. I think this trade is worth the risk from the Grizzlies standpoint.

Ironically, if the Knicks lose out on LeBron, they could throw all the cap space they obtain in this trade at Gay in the summer of 2010.
    Last edited by pacergod2; 09-03-2008 at 10:06 AM.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Marc is not better than Pau.
    Randolph is not a good fit in Memphis purely because he can't play defense and that is what they need in the front court.