Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite moment in Pacers History?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Your favorite moment in Pacers History?

I saw this thread idea on another forum, and it's hard for me to pick one. The Pacers had tons of great moments the last 14 years but none really stick out to me as "the one". If I had to pick just one it would have to be Reggie's 25 point 4th quarter. That's the one that put the Pacers on the map, one game from the Finals. From that point on, the expectations for this team was to win a championship. So if you could pick just one moment what would it be and why?

p.s. Good moments, not the brawl. Thanks

Default Re: Your favorite moment in Pacers History?

Dale's dislocated shoulder. Reggie was great, but it was Dale's shoulder that made me love that team.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Considering that was the first Pacers / playoff game I've ever been to, I'd say I liked the 25 point 4th quarter performance too!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

When Roger Brown scored 120 points in the last three games to win the ABA championship.

Year-------ABA Champion-------------MVP

1969-70---Indiana Pacers in 6--------Roger Brown
    1971-72---Indiana Pacers in 6--------Freddie Lewis
    1972-73---Indiana Pacers in 7--------George McGinnis

Sure I was little, but it was still the best, especially the 3rd one since it was over the hated Kentucky Colonels

modern:
    Reggie's 4th quarter vs. Knicks
    Reggie's 8 points in 9 seconds
    Rik's buzzer beater in ECF vs. Orlando
    Reggie's number retired
    my first visit to Conseco

Reggie's 8 points in 9 seconds.

I think my 2nd fave was when Reggie banked it in from around half-court against the Nets to force overtime.

Though the Pacers loss in what I believe was double OT, when he banked that in I took off running through my fraternity like screaming like a chicken with it's head cut off

When he banked that shot, I allowed my friend to call off a pretty hefty bet he had on the Nets - thank god.

Best of all, though, was the dunk he put on K-Mart and company to conclude the first overtime. Never saw him dunk until then. (Remember, this was before League Pass and I was a young, out-of-market fan)

I also got pretty emotional when he left the game for the last time against Detroit. I mean, not as emotional as he got, but still, a very powerful moment.

Favorite: 8 in 8.9

Most excited: The Pushoff

Proudest: LB's timeout
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Without a doubt, my most excited moment was Byron Scott's three against Orlando. That was the moment I became a Pacer fan.

My favorite is probably Reggie's pushoff against Jordan, or his general disregard for the entire New York Knicks franchise.

The memory that will stick with me though is without a doubt Reggie's final game against the Pistons. He puts up 27 points, goes down with absolutely nothing left in reserve. The way a real gunslinger should, and then him leaving the court for the last time. I was there, and it was an emotionally draining experience for myself and pretty much everyone around it. It will stick with me forever. The way he went out with his head held high, and the way the Pistons and Larry Brown showed him respect. Plus I'll probably never forget the way Stephen Jackson looked that night. Jack looked like his world was ending as Reggie walked off that court, and he gained a ton of respect from me that night.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Favorite moment: Tie - 1. Reggies 57 pt game in Charlotte. He just owned everyone. They had no answer. 2. When we finally won the EC finals.

Funniest moment: Chuck Person kicking the ball in the stands not once but twice. Found the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ...eature=related
    Last edited by aceace; 08-27-2008 at 11:53 PM. Reason: add video

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Favorite moment - 1991 Playoffs.

Innocence. Up-and-comers. Challenging the evil and despised Larry Bird in his home state.

Our first taste of what NBA playoff success could be.

Next favorite moment: listening to Mark and Slick during Game #7 of the 1994 ECFs. Slick being so nervous that he couldn't really watch the fourth quarter; Mark sent chills up my spind during the fourth quarter when he said so eloquently: "The championship of the Eastern Conference is on the line." Sadly, I got a bit ahead of myself and had to wait 6 more seasons to go to an NBA Finals game.

Which leads to my Third favorite moment: Walking into Conseco Fieldhouse and seeing the place decorated for hosting an NBA Finals game.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

My favorite moment was Reggie's banked in heave to force OT against the Nets as well. Good thing they didn't have instant replay on buzzer-beating shots back then...

Not the most notable and the game was still lost, but for some reason it was the most ecstatic I have ever been watching a Pacers game.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Reggie's pushoff on MJ and dancing in a circle. Then the relief after MJs rimmed out almost gave me a heart attack on overload of emotions.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My favorite was Smits and the Memorial Day Miracle against Orlando. It's my favorite because I was watching it at a friends house and my friends dad hated Reggie and the Pacers and my friends and I were all fans. When the Pacers went down by 1 with just a few seconds to go he was all rubbing it in. And then they inbounded the ball, Smits faked Tree Rollins out of his jock, and calmly drops in a leaner that hit nothing but net. My friends dad kicked us all out of the house when we relentlessly let him have it.

[yt]XYNVRVTCeN8[/yt]
    Last edited by travmil; 08-28-2008 at 12:22 AM. Reason: found youtube clip

Mood

I always think of Reggie's shot over MJ, but I was really hyped my senior year of high school when Reggie had that amazing performance in Game 5 vs. New Jersey in 2002. That 40 foot bank shot and the OT dunk to force 2OT.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Favorite: 8 in 8.9

Most excited: The Pushoff

Proudest: LB's timeout
    Wow, you can't beat that and succinct.

My favorite game I've ever been to was in '99, game 6, at MSA beating Chicago with Heavy D getting his foot stepped on by MJ, while playing good as Defense.

Wow, I've seen a lot of great things with the Pacers.

Not being old enough to actually remember the aba pacers I can only live through the late 70's through now.

While I will always say that Byron Scott hitting that three vs. the Magic was the most important thing I've ever seen I will have to say my favorite thing was from that same series just at a differant time.

Game 3 at home when we were sweeping the Magic out of the playoffs. To be in that arena for the last 2-3 min. of that game was pure (pardon the pun) Magic.

17,000 people chanting in unison SWEEP!!!! SWEEP!!!!! SWEEP!!!! with the african drummers and people banging on the upper metal back walls is beyond my ability to describe to you.

Then when Reggie went to the fans after the game, I get goose bumps just thinking about it today.

It was a day that the city and the franchise became one. Hugs and high fives all around that day.

There were other great days as well. Like the time when Spike Lee brought his obnoxious friend from NYC with him and we kicked the holy crap out of the knicks with Spike holding a towel over his head and his friend up dancing like an idioe to "Mama said knock you out" by LL Cool J. Fun times.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I'm going to have to be a homer here, but for me it will have to be Rik hitting that shot against the Magic as the shotclock was winding down.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Tie: Reggie and the pushoff against the Bulls and Smits happening with the Orlando buzzer beater.

-2nd: Anything involving a Dale Davis dunk.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

There were other great days as well. Like the time when Spike Lee brought his obnoxious friend from NYC with him and we kicked the holy crap out of the knicks with Spike holding a towel over his head and his friend up dancing like an idioe to "Mama said knock you out" by LL Cool J. Fun times.
    At this game, or one of the playoff games against the Knicks, Spike and his entourage went out the wrong door after the game and had to walk all the way around/outside the arena to the celebration of Pacers fans partying in the street. It was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    Funniest moment: Chuck Person kicking the ball in the stands not once but twice. Found the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ...eature=related

Huh, I never knew the Rifleman got into bar tending. Learn something new every day!

I think my favorite moment was the Nets game others have mentioned... when Reggie banked in that 40+ foot shot I literally did a backflip over the top of my couch and ran around yelling like a loon.

The playoff run in '94. Swept the Magic, beat the #1 seed Hawks in 6, and come up only 5 points shy of the finals. Indianapolis and the Pacers were finally on the NBA map and Reggie was a budding superstar.
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Game 3 at home when we were sweeping the Magic out of the playoffs. To be in that arena for the last 2-3 min. of that game was pure (pardon the pun) Magic.

17,000 people chanting in unison SWEEP!!!! SWEEP!!!!! SWEEP!!!! with the african drummers and people banging on the upper metal back walls is beyond my ability to describe to you.

Then when Reggie went to the fans after the game, I get goose bumps just thinking about it today.

It was a day that the city and the franchise became one. Hugs and high fives all around that day.

That is my pick as well. I'll never forget the feeling of finally actually winning a playoff series and then to see the city start to get caught up in all the excitement. I know the pacers were up 2-0 coming into that game 3, but not until Reggie went off towards the end did it seem real that the pacers could actually win a playoff series. At the time I couldn't help but think back through all the bad years (about 15 of them) all the struggles, all the ridicule from non-Pacers fans - just the pride of wining a playoff series. As the clock was winding down, I had tears in my eyes, chills - all that. It was an overwhelming experience.

- whenever people ask me why I am a Pacers fan - why I spend so much money going to games - why I devote so much time to following them. People will often ask me why are you so loyal to them (especially when they aren't any good) - they will say to me "they aren't loyal to you" "what do they do for you" type of questions. (as some of you know things like autographs, meeting the players, having t-shirts, hats - all that stuff means little to me)

I live for the certain moments as discussed in this thread and "the moments" are much greater when you follow the team through the bad times, through the struggles - winning the first series against the Magic wouldn't have meant nearly as much if I hadn't been a fan for several years. So to you who became fans in the 90's - when things do get turned around hpoefully in a few years, it will mean more to you because of the sytrouggles of the past few seasons.

Sorry for rambling here - But the pacers have given me so much - the money and time I have spent has been well worth it, I don't regret a second or a dolar of it.

(Reggie's 25 points in game 5 at NY in 1994 was also incredible - that was when he burst into stardom)
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 08-28-2008 at 09:13 AM.

Reggie giving the choke sign to Spike Lee was pretty cool. I also loved me some Rick Smits stache action HA

(I know this is supposed to be a positive thread, but I do wonder how Reggie's career might have been different if the NBC cameras had shown Reggie grabbing his crotch while looking at Spike - during the 4th quarter of game 5) If you watch it very carefully you know what Reggie did, but the camera breaks away just in time.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 08-28-2008 at 12:07 PM.