Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers interested in Elton Brown?

Default Pacers interested in Elton Brown?

Granted it's from hoopsworld, but it's news. I haven't heard of the guy, but I found some stats from the NBDL a year or two ago on the guy. Looks like he's 6'9 and played his college ball at Virginia.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfil...own/index.html

And here's the hoopsworld article

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9851

Houston Not The Only One: With NBA training camps opening in less than 33 days, most teams are starting to get back into the groove. The Rockets pulled the trigger last night sending Sean Singletary to Phoenix in exchange for DJ Strawberry. The Rockets like Strawberry, but he has a non-guaranteed deal, something the Rockets coveted coming into camp. The Atlanta Hawks are said to be looking to move Solomon Jones, for almost the same reason.

The Indiana Pacers are looking to bring in another big man and were rumored to be talking seriously with Elton Brown. Brown was also rumored to be on the Memphis Grizzlies radar, but it seems their interest is wavering. The Pacers are still holding out hope that they can trade Jamaal Tinsley and his remaining three-years and $21 million.

The Cleveland Cavaliers have been getting some press as more and more people are speculating that Wally Szczerbiak and his $13 million ending contract will be traded, although Cavs sources say that improving is absolutely the point, but that Cavaliers head coach Mike Brown and the staff like what Wally brings to the table, and it would take a serious deal for them to consider moving Wally. The Cavs are sitting at just over $86 million in salary commitments and Wally's expiring deal means getting closer to the luxury tax threshold next year and reducing the tax the Cavs are on the hook for. Its not out of the question the Cavs deal him if the right player surfaces, but the Cavs at this point going into camp are planning to keep Wally in town.

Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers interested in Elton Brown?

Sure...why not? It couldn't hurt bringing him into Training Camp to have him compete against McRoberts.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

He's been a beast in the D-League, but there just doesn't seem to be a lot of upside. It's not a bad idea or anything to give him a shot - players who play particularly well in the NBDL should be rewarded with opportunities to play in the big show.

Invite him to training camp, and see what he's got. He and McRoberts can battle for the seat on the end of the bench.

It wouldn't hurt to have the guy in training camp. He put up some impressive numbers while in the NBDL. Pacers could run into a problem if they decided they wanted to keep him long-term (should they sign him to the training camp roster). They'd still need to find a new home for Tinsley AND settle the new log-jam in the front court:

Center - Nester/Hibbert/Foster
    PF - Baston/McRoberts/Murphy

Unless JOB is true to his word and playing time is truly "earned" and not given Elton Brown, by his numbers alone, my do more than earn the right to be the last man on the end of the bench.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Invite him to training camp, and see what he's got. He and McRoberts can battle for the seat on the end of the bench.
    Which does nothing to improve our need for another inside presence.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by HCPacerIN View Post
    I haven't see him play....but when I read the profile of him provide above.....I get the impression that Elton Brown is a Low-Post type player.

If you are looking for an inside presense on the defensive end....then that's a different story....but there IMHO isn't as great of a need as one ( since we have Rasho/Foster/Hibbert ) compared to one can score in the Low-Post on the offensive end.
    Last edited by CableKC; 08-27-2008 at 02:26 PM.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    IMHO isn't as great of a need as one (since we have Rasho/Foster/Hibbert)
    I worry about the people expecting Hibby to step in as a defensive stud right away. It just doesn't happen like that. Dwight Howard's a beast, and was a beast when he hit the league. It still took him a while to learn NBA defense. Same's true of any big man you can name.

I wouldn't expect a guy drafted at #17 to be the exception to that.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Hopefully, Brown could turn out to be an Antonio Davis type of find. He has been a monster in the D-League.

Mood

I haven't see him play....but when I read the profile of him provide above.....I get the impression that Elton Brown is a Low-Post type player.

If you are looking for an inside presense on the defensive end....then that's a different story....but there IMHO isn't as great of a need as one ( since we have Rasho/Foster/Hibbert ) compared to one can score in the Low-Post on the offensive end.
    I don't think we need a stud in there or anything. Just a solid, reliable player to fill the gap and help mentor Hibbert for a year or two. Where is D squared at these days? I can't keep track of him anymore.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I worry about the people expecting Hibby to step in as a defensive stud right away. It just doesn't happen like that. Dwight Howard's a beast, and was a beast when he hit the league. It still took him a while to learn NBA defense. Same's true of any big man you can name.

By no means am I expecting Hibbert to be that defensive presense by himself.....much less in a rookie season.....I hope that he will have some minimal impact simply as a rotational Center that isn't completely clueless on the defensive end. But in reality.....I'm primarily expecting more defensive contributions to come from a combination of Foster and Rasho.
    Last edited by CableKC; 08-27-2008 at 06:10 PM.

Sports Logo

I don't think we need a stud in there or anything. Just a solid, reliable player to fill the gap and help mentor Hibbert for a year or two. Where is D squared at these days? I can't keep track of him anymore.
    I'm hoping that we can get any mentoring for Hibbert from either Rasho or Foster.

I just think that we need a solid low-post scoring option at the PF position.

Neither does Shawne Williams, who some think can play PF, and the only way the Pacers are going to get an inside presence is to trade for one.

I posted to the thread topic of the Pacers interest in Brown. If he was that great, some team would have already picked him up. Thus the comment about inviting him to training camp, not much to lose by doing it, and the battling for end of bench between him and McRoberts. I don't see McRoberts or Baston being anything but having been gotten as fillers to trades, and 12-15 benchwarmers with minimal impact if any as a player.

As far as Baston goes, I rather give McRoberts/Brown the opportunity. Baston will be playing in Europe next year, so why waste PT on him. Baston didn't impress the Raptors, or he would have had played more than he did for them. I'm not into 30 plus old players finally coming into their own fairy tales. Brown might not be anything but a Teddy Beard, but why not give him an invite to camp. JMOAA
    Last edited by Justin Tyme; 08-27-2008 at 07:09 PM.

Mood

Neither does Shawne Williams, who some think can play PF, and the only way the Pacers are going to get an inside presence is to trade for one.

I posted to the thread topic of the Pacers interest in Brown. If he was that great, some team would have already picked him up. Thus the comment about inviting him to training camp, not much to lose by doing it, and the battling for end of bench between him and McRoberts. I don't see McRoberts or Baston being anything but having been gotten as fillers to trades, and 12-15 benchwarmers with minimal impact if any as a player.

As far as Baston goes, I rather give McRoberts/Brown the opportunity. Baston will be playing in Europe next year, so why waste PT on him. Baston didn't impress the Raptors, or he would have had played more than he did for them. I'm not into 30 plus old players finally coming into their own fairy tales. Brown might not be anything but a Teddy Beard, but why not give him an invite to camp. JMOAA
    Hopefully McRoberts can show something, it would be a great story what with him being the local guy and all. Honestly I wasn't too disapointed with what Baston done with the few opportunities he was given in his last stint here. As for Shawne, I couldn't agree more. No way can he play PF effectively. Heck I don't even really want him on the roster.

By no means am I expecting Hibbert to be that defensive presense by himself.....much less in a rookie season.....I hope that he will have some minimal impact simply as a rotational Center that isn't completely clueless on the defensive end. But in reality.....I'm primarily expecting more defensive contributions to come from a combination of Foster and Rasho.
    Fair enough. I mean, the dude's big enough that you'd expect him to block a few shots if nothing else. I've just seen a ton of "we've fixed our interior defense with Hibbert" and that makes me nervous. But you're right, that stuff's not coming from you.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Banned

He's the best player in the D-League, if that counts for anything. 20 & 12 is impressive enough to give him a shot in training camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    He's the best player in the D-League, if that counts for anything. 20 & 12 is impressive enough to give him a shot in training camp.
    Absolutely. A training camp invite isn't riskly. If he doesn't pan out, nothing gained nothing lost.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Sports Logo

Fair enough. I mean, the dude's big enough that you'd expect him to block a few shots if nothing else. I've just seen a ton of "we've fixed our interior defense with Hibbert" and that makes me nervous. But you're right, that stuff's not coming from you.
    Assuming that we head into the season with a Murphy, Rasho, Foster, Hibbert/Baston/McRoberts Frontcourt; I don't think that our interior defense will be that bad. If anything...it will be much better then last season ( I know, that's not saying much ) with the addition of Rasho and ( hopefully ) whatever Hibbert can contribute....but it likely won't be any better then what we had with JONeal in the lineup. I really think that the primary "1st though 3rd" Frontcourt rotation of Murphy/Rasho/Foster is actually pretty solid.....not outstanding...but solid enough to do what I think they need to do.....rebound, score ( on occasion ), defend in the paint and make opposing Big Men really work for their points in the paint.

We probably won't make really shutdown any Top Tier Low-Post scoring Big Men, but whatever points they get...they are really going to have to earn it.
    Last edited by CableKC; 08-28-2008 at 12:46 PM.

Hopefully McRoberts can show something, it would be a great story what with him being the local guy and all.

As for Shawne, I couldn't agree more. No way can he play PF effectively. Heck I don't even really want him on the roster.
    Yes, if McRoberts could show something and even be an occasional rotational player would be a great story.

I'll 2nd that comment about not wanting to see Williams a Pacer.

Assuming that we head into the season with a Murphy, Rasho, Foster, Hibbert/Baston/McRoberts Frontcourt; I don't think that our interior defense will be that bad. If anything...it will be much better then last season ( I know, that's not saying much ) with the addition of Rasho and ( hopefully ) whatever Hibbert can contribute....but it likely won't be any better then what we had with JONeal in the lineup. I really think that the primary "1st though 3rd" Frontcourt rotation of Murphy/Rasho/Foster is actually pretty solid.....not outstanding...but solid enough to do what I think they need to do.....rebound, score ( on occasion ), defend in the paint and make opposing Big Men really work for their points in the paint.

We probably won't make really shutdown any Top Tier Low-Post scoring Big Men, but whatever points they get...they are really going to have to earn it.
    You lost me when you mentioned "Defend" and "Murphy". Those 2 words aren't synonomous, and should never be used in the same sentence.

I do believe, as you, that the interior "D" will be better than last year. God forbid it would be worse! Maybe if for no other reason than the players have a year under their belt with the way JOB wants "D" played. Or the 4 & 5 won't have to be constantly worrying about the lack of perimeter D and the constant penetration of the opposing guards where they can concentrate on defending the paint. Or the combination of both with Rasho and Hibbert.

I'm not counting on a tremendous amount from Hibbert, but anything he can contribute this season will be a bonus.

I want us to invite Courtney Sims to camp just so our organization can cut him for the fifth time. That would be an NBA record.

Sports Logo

You lost me when you mentioned "Defend" and "Murphy". Those 2 words aren't synonomous, and should never be used in the same sentence.

I do believe, as you, that the interior "D" will be better than last year. God forbid it would be worse! Maybe if for no other reason than the players have a year under their belt with the way JOB wants "D" played. Or the 4 & 5 won't have to be constantly worrying about the lack of perimeter D and the constant penetration of the opposing guards where they can concentrate on defending the paint. Or the combination of both with Rasho and Hibbert.

I'm not counting on a tremendous amount from Hibbert, but anything he can contribute this season will be a bonus.
    D'oh.....okay.....Murphy may contribute more at the Rebounding/Scoring end ( hence my expectation that his mpg will be bumped up to 30mpg )....but I fully expect our Big Man Low-post defender is going to be made up of Foster/Rasho/Hibbert. Either way......all of the areas that I feel that our Frontcourt will be working on will be covered by someone in the Frontcourt adequately.

LOL. . Why did I think that said Elton Brand. I need to sleep more
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Jackson_(basketball)

Sometimes you can find a rookie of the year too!

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Jackson_(basketball)

Sometimes you can find a rookie of the year too!
    Hey, it can happen. It's just not likely. Especially for a big man... it usually takes college bigs a couple of years to adjust to the pros. When was the last big man rookie of the year? Where was he drafted?

For the record, I think a Rasho/Foster/Granger frontcourt will be extremely effective defensively. Letting Murphy guard the backups makes his life easier, plus he gets guarded by backups so he can be more of an offensive force.

Enjoy your time at PD!