Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sources: Warriors' Ellis out at least 3 months because of ankle injury

Banned

Default Sources: Warriors' Ellis out at least 3 months because of ankle injury

The Golden State Warriors won't have Baron Davis or Monta Ellis in their starting lineup on opening night.

In the latest blow during a difficult summer for Golden State, ESPN.com has learned that Ellis -- just awarded one of the biggest pay raises in league history -- will be sidelined at least three months, possibly four, after suffering a severe high ankle sprain in his hometown of Jackson, Miss.

Ellis was scheduled to undergo surgery on his left ankle in Alabama on Wednesday, according to team sources, after he informed the club late last week that he had injured himself working out. More specifics about how Ellis sustained the injury were not immediately available.

Surgery is needed to repair a torn deltoid ligament, sources said, and the foot will need to be immobilized for the first six weeks.

It was less than a month ago that Ellis received a six-year, $66 million contract extension from the Warriors, whose tumultuous offseason began with Davis making a verbal commitment to sign with the Los Angeles Clippers on the very first day of free agency.

The contract calls for Ellis to earn a flat $11 million in each of the next six seasons. He made just $770,610 last season, the final year in a modest three-year deal he received as a second-round pick in 2005.

Golden State, which failed to reach the playoffs last season, insisted that it achieved its top two offseason priorities by re-signing Ellis and fellow restricted free agent Andris Biedrins.

The Warriors were nonetheless stunned by the sudden nature of Davis' departure -- as Davis initially was expected not to opt out of the final year of his contract -- and now have likely lost the prolific guard expected to inherit much of Davis' scoring responsibilities until December at the earliest.

The Warriors responded to Davis' exit by signing swingman Corey Maggette away from the Clippers to join co-captain Stephen Jackson, and by signing Los Angeles Lakers restricted free agent Ronny Turiaf to add bulk on their front line.

They also matched the Clippers' offer sheet to retain restricted free agent Kelenna Azubuike and acquired backup point guard Marcus Williams in a trade with New Jersey. The Warriors are likewise extremely high on first-round draft pick Anthony Randolph, and thus did little to prevent forwards Mickael Pietrus (Orlando) and Matt Barnes (Phoenix) from following Davis out the door.

It remains possible that the Warriors could trade forward Al Harrington before the start of the season, with Harrington reportedly open to a move. Yet there's really no replicating what Ellis provides for the Warriors, especially given coach Don Nelson's plans to use Ellis regularly at point guard after playing him primarily as a shooting guard in Ellis' first three pro seasons.

Ellis, 22, seemed to understand his importance to the team's post-Baron future when Ellis shared at a news conference in late July that Davis recently "told me it was time to hand over the torch."

Ellis averaged 20.2 points, 5.0 rebounds and 3.9 assists last season. He won NBA Most Improved Player honors in the 2006-07 season, averaging 16.5 points, 3.2 rebounds and 4.1 assists.

The only solace for the Warriors is that Ellis does have a history of making strong, fast recoveries from major injuries. He slipped to No. 40 in the 2005 draft, in spite of a decorated high school career, because of a knee problem.

But he has since proven more productive in the NBA than any of the 10 players drafted out of high school that year, which was the last time high school players were eligible to be selected. That group includes No. 6 overall pick Martell Webster (Portland); No. 10 Andrew Bynum (Los Angeles Lakers); and No. 18 Gerald Green (drafted by Boston, now with Dallas).

Ellis suffered what initially appeared to be a serious knee injury during a summer-league practice in 2006, and endured an even scarier fall early in training camp last October that resulted in a neck sprain and required Ellis to be immobilized and carted off the court.

In both cases, though, Ellis missed minimal time. He appeared in 77 and 81 games, respectively, after the two injuries.

Ellis is also known for his boundless confidence, as evidenced when he scoffed at reporters' recent suggestions that the switch from shooting guard to the point will be a problem.

"I'm going to improve every part of my game," Ellis said last month. "That's what I do. That's why I play basketball . . . to improve and to become the best player [who] ever touched a basketball."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3556108

Banned

Default Re: Sources: Warriors' Ellis out at least 3 months because of ankle injury

I would say that this may open the door for us to trade tinsley and maybe get harrington back. what do you guys think?

Default Re: Sources: Warriors' Ellis out at least 3 months because of ankle injury

The Warriors need to trade for Tinsley immediatley if they have any hope for a playoff run this year.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would say that this may open the door for us to trade tinsley and maybe get harrington back. what do you guys think?
    I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Anything -- even inducing a little vomit -- is worth it to get rid of Jamaal Tinsley.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    The Warriors need to trade for Tinsley immediatley if they have any hope for a playoff run this year.
    Yes they do! Do you hear that, Chris Mullin! You HAVE to trade for Jamaal Tinsley! Did we mention he averaged 8.4 assists per game last year?

As much as this sucks for the Warriors (and it sucks a lot), it does nothing to increase the chances of Tinsley getting traded.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

GS has CJ Watson and Marcus Williams at PG.

Time to buy my Stephen Jackson Cavaliers jersey.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I doubt that the Warriors are that desperate.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    GS has CJ Watson and Marcus Williams at PG.
    Yep, Diener and Diener II!

w/o a doubt those 2 ought to take them to the playoffs! Now, why doesn't GS need Tinsley?

I never wanted Harrington back the 2nd time let alone a 3rd time, but to get rid Tinsley it would be palatable. Now, how quickly could we trade Harrington after getting him back?

Warriors are not trading for Jamaal Tinsley.

We'll be seeing a lot of Point Jack - if he's still there.

Losing key players for nothing. Check.
    Signing middling players to horrible deals. Check.
    Inexplicable season-crushing injuries. Check.

Hey GState...You're it.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Apparently he injured it in an attempt to jump clear over the backboard. By the seventh jump, he had tired just enough to have his foot graze the top - it was the fall that did him in.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post

Hey GState...You're it.
    And of course naturally, you get people here suggesting we trade for Jamaal Tinsley because obviously he's the cure for a miserable offseason. It's pretty amazing how many people want to push this guy over a bridge while at the same time trying to convince themselves (among others) of what a huge problem solver Tinsley would be for someone else.
    Last edited by d_c; 08-27-2008 at 05:34 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    And of course naturally, you get people here suggesting we trade for Jamaal Tinsley because obviously he's the cure for a miserable offseason. It's pretty amazing how many people want to push this guy over a bridge while at the same time trying to convince themselves (among others) of what a huge problem solver Tinsley would be for someone else.
    They're joking. They know how hard trading him will be.

Personally, the only reason I hold out hope is due to Morway remaining convinced they can.

Sports Logo

Hey GState...You're it.
    Thanks Jay......you've brought a smile to my dreary day.

At the very least, I have another one to add to your list:

Key player complaining about not being paid what he's worth before it's time. Check.
    Last edited by CableKC; 08-27-2008 at 06:04 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    stop being coy d_c. you know you want him.

Hey GState...You're it.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Others are going to be injured and yes teams will become desperate. We can then take back a bad contract for 10-12 M and Tinsley won't be so difficult to unload. Be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Personally, the only reason I hold out hope is due to Morway remaining convinced they can.
    I'm cautiously hopeful that they've got something worked out and are keeping it under wraps.

It could happen!
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I'm cautiously hopeful that they've got something worked out and are keeping it under wraps.

It could happen!
    Well, the only way that can be true is if it involves one of the recently acquired guys. Which means waiting until, I believe, September 9th?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Well, the only way that can be true is if it involves one of the recently acquired guys. Which means waiting until, I believe, September 9th?
    Rasho?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

It's what I'm thinking.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Trade with Moscow to get Eddie Gill back. It's what I'm thinking.

It wasn't long ago that I was in the "you don't trade him just for crap" camp, but given the roster changes and the story behind he and JOB feuding I truly am in the "bucket of basketballs" camp now.

I wonder if any team would trade him for "free" at his salary at this point? I'm assuming the trade is going to look a lot uglier than that, some nasty, nasty contract coming back.

At least that would take the heat off of Murphy.

Mood

a nasty contract that helps us win is better than one who doesn't at all.