Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foster say's O'Neal did not want to be here the last two seasons...

Default Foster say's O'Neal did not want to be here the last two seasons...

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1088/SPORTS04

Jeff Foster no longer is the Indiana Pacers' "old man." That honor now belongs to Maceo Baston.

Foster, 31 and two years younger than Baston, is their longest-tenured player, however. He has the gray hair and battle scars to prove it.

"Obviously things haven't gone the way many people expected since the brawl and Reggie (Miller) retired," Foster said recently. "You would see that by how we played and the lack of support we got from fans."

The Pacers made the playoffs in each of his first seven seasons, including the 2000 NBA Finals. The culture inside the locker room suffered the past two seasons, when they missed the playoffs.

Foster insists better days are ahead. The roster transformation is almost complete. More players have spent the summer in town, working out at Conseco Fieldhouse. All-Star Jermaine O'Neal has been traded, albeit perhaps a couple of years too late.

"It was tough because Jermaine really didn't want to be here the last couple of years," Foster said. "It was tough to become a team when your best player did not want to be on the team."
    Foster and Jamaal Tinsley are the only holdovers from the 61-win team of 2003-04, and Tinsley isn't expected back.

Foster is entering his 10th season with the Pacers in part because he thrives in a role few want: He does things that often go unnoticed, from blocking out and diving for loose balls to being a presence in the locker room.

Team president Larry Bird has noticed.

"He's a glue guy to your team," Bird said. ". . . He's going to come in here and give you everything he's got."

Training camp is seven weeks away, but Foster started noticing a change shortly after the Pacers acquired seven players in a two-day span in late June. Even the tone of fans' questions has improved. Instead of asking about Pacers' questionable actions off the court, they're asking about playoff seeding.

Foster isn't calling the Pacers contenders, but he likes the motivation. Players such as T.J. Ford and Roy Hibbert have something to prove. Mike Dunleavy and Troy Murphy are trying to show they can lead a playoff team.

"There are a lot of guys that are new to this and want to be part of the culture change," Foster said. "You have holdovers that are hungry . . . There's been a black cloud over us the last few years. We're ready to have a nice sunny day."

Yea, I know there are other things in this article. But I think the fact that a team mate is now openly stating what we all have known for awhile.

Default Re: Foster say's O'Neal did not want to be here the last two seasons...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "It was tough because Jermaine really didn't want to be here the last couple of years. It was tough to become a team when your best player did not want to be on the team."
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    But I think the fact that a team mate is now openly stating what we all have known for awhile.
    This sentence is confusing me.
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
    Ouch.

This sentence is confusing me.
    He means Foster is just saying what was already known about JO.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    My own opinion is this is going to be a good TEAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    I got that, just thought the fact that he didn't finish his sentence properly....wait for it....was funny.

Anyway, Jermaine didn't want to be here the last couple of years, and many of us wanted Jermaine traded the last couple of years. Wouldn't it have been neat for everyone if it had happened sooner...
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
    I got that, just thought the fact that he didn't finish his sentence properly....wait for it....was funny.

Foster is doing more than talking. He is working and leading.

Yesterday he was working in the Pacers' practice gym around noon when I passed by there. The others were McRoberts, Rush and Hibbert: three new guys . . . plus Foster, working as hard as the rest.

Foster was working at one end of the court with Hibbert and I'm not sure which assistant coach. Foster was directing it, mostly, and he and Hibbert were both sweating up a storm.

Rush was at the far end of the gym raining 3s from everywhere. McRoberts was getting in his daily 200 free throws, with Larry Bird tossing them back to him.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post

Yesterday he was working in the Pacers' practice gym around noon when I passed by there. The others were McRoberts, Rush and Hibbert: three new guys . . . plus Foster, working as hard as the rest.

Foster was working at one end of the court with Hibbert and I'm not sure which assistant coach. Foster was directing it, mostly, and he and Hibbert were both sweating up a storm.

Rush was at the far end of the gym raining 3s from everywhere. McRoberts was getting in his daily 200 free throws, with Larry Bird tossing them back to him.
    Cool, thanks for sharing, Putz
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

Sounds like some good signs. Intersting that Foster of all people would verbalize the JO thing when seemingly nobody wanted to admit it or just come out and state the obvious for two years. I suppose being essentially the last guy from that group he feels as if a huge weight has been lifted from his shoulders.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

I guess this answers the "Will Foster be traded" question. After all that Larry has said, he'd look pretty foolish trading his "glue" guy.
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

He's been known to look pretty foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by 2minutes twowa View Post
    I guess this answers the "Will Foster be traded" question. After all that Larry has said, he'd look pretty foolish trading his "glue" guy.

That really doesn't answer anything. Granted Foster isn't going to be traded for the sake of trading him, but if the right trade comes along he will be traded. There are NO untradeables on this team if the right trade comes along, and that includes Granger, Dunleavy, etc.

McRoberts was getting in his daily 200 free throws, with Larry Bird tossing them back to him.
    This is what caught my attention. I like the fact that Bird was working with the players instead of sitting up in the corporate office of the "puzzle palace." He needs to be involved on an elbow rubbing daily basis with the players.

Who knows maybe McRoberts has something Bird likes to be working with him, or he's evaluating him to see if he's a keeper instead of having to look for another "big". Whatever, I just like that Bird is doing it.

Thanx for posting your enjoyable observation it is appreciated.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thanks Putty, your observation has been the most informative thing I have read on the Digest in about a month.

...Boy, that feels good!

It is getting pretty easy to feel good about this team. Record wise we won't be a contender, but management is improving this team!
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 08-27-2008 at 09:35 AM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

You might recall me posting a photo of Foster working on his game the summer of the Al trade. I poked around one day when we were wondering about "Al at Conseco" rumors and saw Jeff with a trainer working hard. That would have been around the same time in the summer.

As for JO, it's been frosty between he and Bird for some time. One of the posters at Star ran into him and heard his displeasure straight from JO's mouth a few years ago. I don't let Bird off the hook totally on this issue, it's on both of them. Larry tried to push JO in the press and I think JO resented Larry for the Isiah thing, plus the Ron thing, and lots of other issues I'm guessing.

Possibly JO didn't want to be in Indy for some of the same reasons fans didn't want to watch the team also. Obviously the water hole was so poisoned by the end that it was just pointless to go on. I wonder how much Walsh influenced the situation and kept it lingering? I also wonder just how much this affected JO's health, though I would suggest that money and the ability to be moved to another team would keep JO trying hard rather than faking/amplifying his injury.

Uninspired, sure. Frustrated, no kidding. But I think he really was injured and if he plays better in Toronto it will be due to healing enough much more than being inspired again. I think Toronto was taking a legit risk in trading for him, it's not going to be a simple as "now he's happy" to get the deal to work out on their end.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    You might recall me posting a photo of Foster working on his game the summer of the Al trade. I poked around one day when we were wondering about "Al at Conseco" rumors and saw Jeff with a trainer working hard. That would have been around the same time in the summer.
    Yes, I do. In fact, I've been conscious from time to time of looking for you around there, though I know you don't make a regular summertime habit of checking out the practice court. I know what you look like from the forum party photos, so I could spot you first and assume a defensive posture.
    Last edited by Putnam; 08-27-2008 at 11:00 AM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Possibly JO didn't want to be in Indy for some of the same reasons fans didn't want to watch the team also. Obviously the water hole was so poisoned by the end that it was just pointless to go on. I wonder how much Walsh influenced the situation and kept it lingering? I also wonder just how much this affected JO's health, though I would suggest that money and the ability to be moved to another team would keep JO trying hard rather than faking/amplifying his injury.
    I really suspect that this is one of THE main reasons why JONeal was still on the roster. I think that DW tends to be more pragmatic when it comes to valueing ( or overvalueing ) his players and was always looking for the best deal to move him.

The second I found out that DW was leaving and that Bird was taking over completely.....I immediately thought that JONeal was going to be shipped out. We have always heard that JONeal and Bird did not get along.....or more specifically a key "Decision Maker" in the Franchise did not get along with the recognized "Franchise Player".....you have to wonder why Bird didn't try to move him earlier.

BTW....I really hope that Bird's comments about Foster means that it would take a lot for TPTB to move him...as well as intending to resign him next season for the next couple of seasons.
    Last edited by CableKC; 08-27-2008 at 10:19 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    Sounds like some good signs. Intersting that Foster of all people would verbalize the JO thing when seemingly nobody wanted to admit it or just come out and state the obvious for two years. I suppose being essentially the last guy from that group he feels as if a huge weight has been lifted from his shoulders.
    I'm reminded of the end of the 2006-2007 season when the Pacers were so close and yet so far from making the playoffs. When they needed a strong, encouring voice it wasn't JO who spoke up. It was Croshere!

I knew then that something was wrong in the locker room...just didn't want to admit it to myself.

Perhaps the person Bird hinted at being the team's new leader (in the locker room) IS Jeff Foster.

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    Perhaps the person Bird hinted at being the team's new leader (in the locker room) IS Jeff Foster.

That could be! But, leader or not, we can be sure that Jeff will continue to be a good-*** teammate.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    He's been known to look pretty foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    Larry doesn't look particularly happy to be there at that photo shoot!

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Happy or not it [Donnie] made him look like a fool in hindsight.

Isn't Jermaine O'Neal a Raptor? I'm confused. Why are we talking about him? What about Ron Artest? Isn't he a Rocket? And I'm pretty sure Donnie Walsh is a Knick.

Can we move on? It's weird. We expect the "common fan" to move on and accept this team but we, the hardcore fans, still talk about the same stuff over and over again and don't seem to move on at all.

How about the fact that three of our young guys are working out in Indy right now-and looking good...or the fact that we're all developing UB-size crushes on Foster?

There have been quite a few "skeptical" references made by both Peck and I concerning JO. Foster's statement about JO not wanting to be here the past couple of years only solidifies my feelings. And the guy had the nads to ask Kravitz if he thought his number would get retired. His head was into JO and not the team.
    Last edited by ABADays; 08-27-2008 at 12:58 PM.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Mood

Rexom
    The topic came up and I divulged. The fact is we still have Bird here. He is connected to Walsh and JO. If you want closure to JO on this team you will not get it. Because if the Pacers ever fail to live up to standards, everyone will bring the skeletons out. It may not be positive, but the last time I checked this is not Pacers.com.

While some may see topics like this a negative, I see it as a positive. Chemistry is not overrated in the NBA. And if JO, who has been known to be dogging it and still getting the franchise tag, is gone. You will have to acknowledge that the team atmosphere is better than it has been in a lonnnnngggg time.

That is exciting.

Now to my SI photo. I was merely a joke.