View Poll Results: Which game will you buy?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • NBA Live 09

    4 13.33%
  • NBA 2k9

    26 86.67%
  • NBA 09: The Inside

    0 0%
  • other

    0 0%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 127

Thread: Which NBA video game will you buy?

  1. #26
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Which NBA video game will you buy?

    I'm still reeling from splurging on GTA IV a few months back...but I'm really enticed by both games, leaning more toward NBA Live.

  2. #27
    - .-- ... ... Natston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Timbuktupolis, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,245
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Which NBA video game will you buy?

    Unless EA makes some drastic changes to the gameplay among other things, I don't see any reason to ever buy Live again...
    Last edited by Natston; 08-28-2008 at 01:15 AM.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)


    Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

  3. #28
    Edge of Reason GO!!!!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Launceston, Australia
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Which NBA video game will you buy?

    I've allways been a LIVE guy ( PC ) but since i got the X, I'll get 2K as my first purchase, try something different

    I got NBA 07 Cheap for a trial run but am looking forward to 2K9

    Question, in Franchise Mode in 2K does it give you the option for 29 Game Season and can you also intervene half way threw the game EA sim the first 3 quarts


    Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...


  4. #29
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Which NBA video game will you buy?

    I don't know specifically if it's 29 games, but I believe you can have an abbreviated season similar to that amount, yes. I don't remember if they let you cut into the middle of a sim. game or not. I'm leaning towards no.

  5. #30

    Default Re: Which NBA video game will you buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by GO!!!!! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've allways been a LIVE guy ( PC ) but since i got the X, I'll get 2K as my first purchase, try something different

    I got NBA 07 Cheap for a trial run but am looking forward to 2K9

    Question, in Franchise Mode in 2K does it give you the option for 29 Game Season and can you also intervene half way threw the game EA sim the first 3 quarts
    If you plan on watching the game before taking over, then yes. But I don't think you can sim it a certain amount, and then start the game.

    I do believe 2K has a 29-game season.

  6. #31

    Default Re: Which NBA video game will you buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another good thing about buying 2K9 (if you have a 360), is that you can join the PD league...

    I imagine we won't be doing 82 games this year either.
    Damn, I never knew PD had a 2k league. I'd be down for this when the time comes. I just hope that there are ground rules during the games, like no full court passes and abusing the pick and roll for dunks, etc.

  7. #32
    Edge of Reason GO!!!!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Launceston, Australia
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Which NBA video game will you buy?

    Darn, that was the best feature from NBA 07 PC, but Xbox 07 doesen't have it ( well i can't find it ), it's the only way to play a full season/franchise, sim the first 3 qrts and if it's close intervene for the last quarter and win or lose the game..

    Thanks for the info on the 29 games, that makes life a wee bit easier...

    Some more info on the 2K League would be good too, i take it the forum Admin get the Pacers and everone else gets leftovers...

    Intresting concept..


    Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...


  8. #33
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Which NBA video game will you buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Damn, I never knew PD had a 2k league. I'd be down for this when the time comes. I just hope that there are ground rules during the games, like no full court passes and abusing the pick and roll for dunks, etc.
    We've had to establish some things, and I think the list will grow next year, but it's never extended to pick and rolls.

    I believe we did put a stop to cherry picking, though. I think it was left at: A couple or so times a game is one thing. Doing it consistently and/or a lot is another.

    I'd care to say that the EZ Iso button is going to join the list this year.

    We're not a fan of exploitation, but I'd argue that some is inevitable within the flaws of the construct of the game (such as unstoppable dunks in traffic, players being slid out of the way, etc.). The key is moderation/modesty in those areas.

    As for who got which team, I don't know if we'll reset that this year or how that will work. But last year I was the Celtics, Gnome was the Knicks, ajbry was the Warriors, Kstat was Detroit, Indy was Orlando, Spicoli was Denver, Lord Helmet was Indiana, naturallystoned was New Jersey, Seth was LALakers, cgg was Miami, LoiuvilleLip was Chicago, and spazzxb was Phoenix.

    We contracted the league to 8 later on, and it never did finish, sadly.

    We will definitely have a shorter regular season this year.

    Whether we start again with 8 teams or 12 or more will depend on interest and expressed commitment.

  9. #34
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,952

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Which NBA video game will you buy?

    I disagree about the full court passes.

    I think that in real basketball you get some cherry picking too, but it's always selective, as opposed to every single play.

    THe difference is when people start doing it (A) after made baskets and (B) every single play. Then it gets into cheesing.

    The pick and rolls you can stop. Never had a problem if i knew it was coming.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  10. #35
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,079
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Which NBA video game will you buy?

    So is this game NBA 2K or NHL 2K? No full-court passing=offsides.

  11. #36

    Default Re: Which NBA video game will you buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree about the full court passes.

    I think that in real basketball you get some cherry picking too, but it's always selective, as opposed to every single play.

    THe difference is when people start doing it (A) after made baskets and (B) every single play. Then it gets into cheesing.

    The pick and rolls you can stop. Never had a problem if i knew it was coming.
    I'm well-aware that full court passes happen in real games, as well as pick and rolls for dunks. It's not a problem in itself at all, as you run into situations where you have to do those things. It's basketball. But the strategy component of the game gets wiped off when those things are used abusively in order to gain an advantage.

    I've learned to adapt to cheese as well. Really, I don't have a problem with it for that reason. But if you have a sim basketball league, that kind of ***** has no place.

  12. #37
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Which NBA video game will you buy?

    I wouldn't call this a sim league, but at the same time we don't like cheese, either. Of course, different people have different definitions of that.

  13. #38
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,952

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Which NBA video game will you buy?

    the NBA live 09 demo is out, BTW.

    I actually was impressed by the depth they went into. The players move much more realistically.

    The 2-man controls is long overdue. Haven't leraned them yet, but it sounds promising.

    Also, the daily updated rosters is really, really cool.

    Can't wait for the 2K9 demo.
    Last edited by Kstat; 09-07-2008 at 03:02 AM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  14. #39
    Edge of Reason GO!!!!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Launceston, Australia
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Which NBA video game will you buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    the NBA live 09 demo is out, BTW.

    I actually was impressed by the depth they went into. The players move much more realistically.

    The 2-man controls is long overdue. Haven't leraned them yet, but it sounds promising.

    Also, the daily updated rosters is really, really cool.

    Can't wait for the 2K9 demo.
    I downloaded the demo too, downloaded it yesterday, have played about 6 games and lost like 16-10 on all but one, draw one game..

    The play calling was nice, bit touchy on the fouls, I never got a steal but got Plenty of foul calls, also struggled to get any rebounds or blocks, seems like it takes a couple seconds to jump for a rebound/block, could just have been me

    It looks like it has potential, the roster update feature and the retro roster options were neat....

    Interesting to see how it if it translates in to dynasty mode...

    Worth a download...


    Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...


  15. #40
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,952

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Which NBA video game will you buy?

    speaking of potential, being able to play 5-on-5 online is also something really worth talking about.

    Think of a 5-on-5 PD league. That would be awesome.
    Last edited by Kstat; 09-07-2008 at 10:16 AM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  16. #41
    One man show ajbry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,696

    Default Re: Which NBA video game will you buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    speaking of potential, being able to play 5-on-5 online is also something really worth talking about.

    Think of a 5-on-5 PD league. That would be awesome.
    <<<<< Would play as Stephen Jackson.


    And I'll download the Live demo since I have nothing to do today...

  17. #42
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,952

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Which NBA video game will you buy?

    Also, the international team roster has been expanded to 24, with FIBA rules.

    Serbia has been added, which will appease my Yugo friends out there...

    the "rewind" feature is also something really cool to think about. Being able to re-play an actual game simulated with your personal intervention.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  18. #43
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Which NBA video game will you buy?

    I played the Live 09 demo and wasn't impressed with the controls at all. 2k is much better IMO.

    With that said, I love what they are doing with constantly updating the stats and tendencies of the players and everything else I'm leaving out that's included. That was all very impressive. If 2K9 doesn't have something like that, they certainly need to have it for 2K10.

    Playing last night's game over with your intervention is also awesome and I would like to see FIBA in 2K as well. Live's certainly got the best features for 2009 (so far; 2K is keeping what they consider their biggest new stuff under wraps for a few more weeks), but I'm still firmly a 2K person right now.

    Regarding 5-on-5 that is going to be on both Live and 2K this year. I want to try it, but I can see it being awkward if all 5 aren't on the same page.

  19. #44
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Which NBA video game will you buy?

    By the way, there's a rumor I've read that along with Clark Kellogg replacing Kenny Smith, we are also getting Doug Collins on 2K9.

  20. #45
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Which NBA video game will you buy?

    Just saw these screenshots from a foreign version of the game. Interesting new team select screen.

    http://media.cnetnetworks.fr/gamekul...01001932_2.jpg

    http://media.cnetnetworks.fr/gamekul...01001909_2.jpg

  21. #46
    International Counter bellisimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,106

    Default Re: Which NBA video game will you buy?

    live...the only option for the PC

  22. #47
    One man show ajbry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,696

    Default Re: Which NBA video game will you buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ... but I can see it being awkward if all 5 aren't on the same page.
    That'll be half the fun!

    People getting mad about not sharing the ball, etc. Sounds good to me.

  23. #48

    Default Re: Which NBA video game will you buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    By the way, there's a rumor I've read that along with Clark Kellogg replacing Kenny Smith, we are also getting Doug Collins on 2K9.
    Haven't heard about Doug Collins, but it looks like Cheryl Miller is replacing Craig Sager in the game too:
    http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s...01001928_2.jpg
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

  24. #49
    Edge of Reason GO!!!!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Launceston, Australia
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Which NBA video game will you buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    live...the only option for the PC
    err hate to burst the buble, i could be wrong but i was told LIVE isen't gonna be on the PC for 09 and beyond...... i could be mistaken , things could have changed but to my knowledge it won't make be on the PC

    That's why i wasted some good hard cash to buy an Xbox and try n beat some of the digest faithfull in COD4 and NBA...


    Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...


  25. #50
    International Counter bellisimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,106

    Default Re: Which NBA video game will you buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by GO!!!!! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    err hate to burst the buble, i could be wrong but i was told LIVE isen't gonna be on the PC for 09 and beyond...... i could be mistaken , things could have changed but to my knowledge it won't make be on the PC

    That's why i wasted some good hard cash to buy an Xbox and try n beat some of the digest faithfull in COD4 and NBA...
    yea I just found out about it

    the PC presents some very serious business challenges to us in the sports category, particularly because so many of you all are playing your favorite sports games on the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii. We are committed to shipping a limited number of our games on the PC this year, but weve also had to cut a few of our games from the platform. We do have ideas for how to revitalize the PC for sports games and the types of games that are best suited to the platform, and well continue to explore those.
    guess no nba games for me this year...Live 08 is crap

Similar Threads

  1. Official Summer League Thread
    By LoneGranger33 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 448
    Last Post: 07-16-2008, 04:50 PM
  2. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 2
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-24-2008, 09:42 PM
  3. The PD NBA Draft - Selection #2 - Miami
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-24-2008, 03:31 PM
  4. Closing out the season
    By Anthem in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 03-22-2008, 10:12 PM
  5. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-04-2008, 10:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •