Thread: HOUSTON

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default HOUSTON

Houston just seems to be a perfect fit for us as a trade partner. Notice how Bird mentioned something about Trade talks will heat up after Labor Day. Well guess what... None of our guys from the two trades with other teams can be traded until September 9. This is exactly a week after Labor day. I think they have had a trade in the works for a long time. And we haven't heard an ounce about Landry since the first week of Free Agency. He is too good and young to not have some sort of deal worked out.

Jamaal Tinsley
    Jeff Foster
    Maceo Baston

for

Shane Battier
    Carl Landry
    Steve Francis

I could see this trade happening. Why do they need Battier now and this makes Landry even more expendable because we know Scola is their priority. It gets Houston more depth at center and point guard and it basically swaps Tinsley's for Battier's contract. It gives us a couple of great guys that understand how to play basketball at PF. Francis would be bought out immediately, which rounds out our roster at 15.

Default Re: HOUSTON

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    it basically swaps Tinsley's for Battier's contract.
    If Houston is really looking to move Battier, they could find a better player than Jamaal Tinsley.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Too good for us... I'd even throw in S.Williams, but I can't see Houston even remotely doing this deal.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

I could see Houston as a trade partner but in this case they would ask at least for a draft pick (probably first) on top of Williams. Battier is one of the most underrated players in the league and Landry a potential stud. We'd have to offer better than that.
    But I agree that Scola must be more in their plans now after the great rookie season he had and confirmed with a very solid play in the olympics and also with the arrival of RonRon. Still I don't see them parting ways with both Battier and Landry. Battier should be a keeper because of the insurance he represents for them: the Artest insurance.

Battier and Landry are both very good players...who I would not mind seeing in a Pacer uniform...but what position do they play? IMO they are both SF's...which does not exactly fill a need on the Pacers. Now, Landry tries to play PF at times, but at 6'7" is woefully undersized. He does seem to produce against scrub backups, but Landry was overpowered by Paul Milsap in the playoffs. He's probably only worth the MLE, although might get more than that. Good luck to Landry attempting to guard true NBA PF's...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Battier and Landry are both very good players...who I would not mind seeing in a Pacer uniform...but what position do they play? IMO they are both SF's...which does not exactly fill a need on the Pacers. Now, Landry tries to play PF at times, but at 6'7" is woefully undersized. He does seem to produce against scrub backups, but Landry was overpowered by Paul Milsap in the playoffs. He's probably only worth the MLE, although might get more than that. Good luck to Landry attempting to guard true NBA PF's...
    If your goal is to make Jamaal Tinsley someone else's problem, you're not going to be able to nitpick too much about what you're getting in return. Battier and Landry have their flaws, but they pale in comparison to the problems of having Tinsley on the payroll.

With all that being said, this is just another thread in a very long line of unrealistic Tinsley trade proposals.

After taking a stroll down memory lane in the PD archives. There were 2 threads in which Landry was discussed. Landry isn't 6'7" but 6'9", and Landry is not a SF but a PF. Landry would fill the need as a b/u "POWER FORWARD" with hopes he can elevate his game into a starter PF.

How did Boozer play against PF's his 1st year? They are similar in size. Same as Jamison.

The only way the Pacers will be able to get Landry is in a S&T, and Tinsley isn't something that Houston needs. They are PG poor the way it is, not to mention Tinsley's baggage and contract.

My feeling is with Luis Scola and their new rookie, Houston really doesn't need Landry, and would only re-sign him on their terms. If they can't, they will look to trade him in a S&T. JMOAA
    Last edited by Justin Tyme; 08-23-2008 at 03:37 PM.

Landry is definatley not a SF, hes a PF. He might be a big undersized, but so is Brand and hes doing just fine as a PF. Landry reminds me of a Jason Mexeill

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    If your goal is to make Jamaal Tinsley someone else's problem, you're not going to be able to nitpick too much about what you're getting in return. Battier and Landry have their flaws, but they pale in comparison to the problems of having Tinsley on the payroll.

With all that being said, this is just another thread in a very long line of unrealistic Tinsley trade proposals.
    I have little problem with Battier and Landry. Just wonder how we play them with Dunleavy, Granger, Williams, Quis, Graham and Rush on the same team. How many 6'6"-6'8" players do we expect to collect?

I suppose that allows us to start trading SF's in bulk because the rest of the league must be growing short...

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Landry is definatley not a SF, hes a PF. He might be a big undersized, but so is Brand and hes doing just fine as a PF. Landry reminds me of a Jason Mexeill
    Landry is neither a SF nor a PF actually.

Let's just say I follow Purdue closely and know Landry's game quite well. He has heart and I enjoy watching him play. He has a nice midrange stroke. He's not a great defensive player and in fact was owned by Paul Milsap, another backup, in the playoffs. Landry was simply too small to defend the position...and that was plainly obvious. He is not a starting PF and never will be one.

I have seen him listed at 6'7" and unbelievably at 6'9". Carl Landry is certainly NOT 6'9". If he were, he grew 2 inches since he graduated...which he did NOT. He is about Maxiell's height maybe a hair taller...but Maxiell is a bit smallish to be your starting PF.

As for the Brand comparison, there is none. Brand is much more talented and has freakish length. That's why he's an all-star level talent that Landry will never approach.

Landry is someone you want on your team after the rest of the NBA figures out he's not a starter.

I have little problem with Battier and Landry. Just wonder how we play them with Dunleavy, Granger, Williams, Quis, Graham and Rush on the same team. How many 6'6"-6'8" players do we expect to collect?

I suppose that allows us to start trading SF's in bulk because the rest of the league must be growing short...
    Daniels and Graham don't really count for anything in the long term. They won't be factors when this team matters again (they probably won't be on the team at all), and it's highly likely the same will be be said for Shawne Williams.

Regardless, the Pacers management would much rather deal with having those kinds of problems than the problems of still having Tinsley count $7M a year against the cap for 3 more years while not being a part the team's plans in either the short term or the long term.

Unless he's part of a package deal involving players/contracts coming the Pacers' way the other team is also trying to get rid of, I would expect Tinsley to be on the Pacer payroll for another year.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    After taking a stroll down memory lane in the PD archives. There were 2 threads in which Landry was discussed. Landry isn't 6'7" but 6'9", and Landry is not a SF but a PF. Landry would fill the need as a b/u "POWER FORWARD" with hopes he can elevate his game into a starter PF.

How did Boozer play against PF's his 1st year? They are similar in size. Same as Jamison.
    Landry plays PF because he's too slow to defend a SF. He's shorter than Al Harrington and not as talented. He'd be a fine backup PF, but that's apparently not the current expectation in this thread. As for Boozer, he is a bigger player and much better on the boards. It's not even close. Boozer > Milsap > Landry.

BTW, I am a huge Purdue fan and would love it if you all were right about him. He had a nice rookie year, but it will become apparent his ceiling is not high...