Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Celtics sign Darius Miles

Default Celtics sign Darius Miles

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...darius_miles/#

Celtics Sign Darius Miles

Aug 22, 2008 12:13 PM EST
    The Boston Celtics announced today that they have signed free agent forward Darius Miles. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Miles, a 6’9”, 235lbs forward out of East St. Louis High School has posted career averages of 10.6 points, 5.2 rebounds and 1.15 blocks in 412 career games. Miles was originally drafted with the third overall pick in the 2000 NBA draft by the Los Angeles Clippers. Miles last played for the Portland Trail Blazers during the 2005-06 season when he averaged a career high 14.0 points and 4.6 rebounds in 40 games. Miles missed all of the 2006-07 and 2007-08 seasons due to microfracture surgery on his right knee.

“Darius has been in twice for workouts with us and has impressed us with his progress, health, and attitude;” said Danny Ainge, Celtics Executive Director of Basketball Operations/General Manager. “Darius will have the next couple of months to prove to myself and Coach Rivers that he can help us win.”

The Bellville, Illinois native became the first player in NBA history to receive All-Rookie honors straight out of high school when he averaged 9.4 points and 1.54 blocks for the Clippers in the 2000-01 season. Miles scored in double-figures in 31 of the 40 games that he appeared in during his last NBA season in 2005-06. As a starter in 23 of those 40 games he averaged 16.9 points, 5.0 rebounds, 2.2 assists, 1.2 steals and 1.2 blocks per game.

“I’ve watched the Boston Celtics play a lot last year and loved what I saw in their teamwork and chemistry on the court and it’s the team that I want to try to resume my career with.” said Miles. “I am excited about having an opportunity to play on a team that I feel my personality fits with and a team that can have great success on the court.”

Default Re: Celtics sign Darius Miles

“I’ve watched the Boston Celtics play a lot last year and loved what I saw in their teamwork and chemistry on the court and it’s the team that I want to try to resume my career with.” said Miles. “I am excited about having an opportunity to play on a team that I feel my personality fits with and a team that can have great success on the court.”

In other words, "I think I should be able to play about 5 minutes a game and earn a ring without much effort." Never liked D Miles.
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

After reading his article on SI, I've been waiting to see who would take him. It'll be interesting seeing him play under his favorite player, KG.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...n/07/17/miles/

Nice player to add to their bench. Nothing to lose with this one.

Just another reminder of how horrible the 2000 draft was (except Primoz, of course.)
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nice player to add to their bench. Nothing to lose with this one.
    Somewhere in Portland, Kevin Pritchard is furious. They just got $9 million per year of salary for the next 3 years added to their books if he plays in 10 games this year.
    Last edited by BorisD; 08-22-2008 at 01:57 PM.

Sports Logo

Does it matter with the owner they have?

Quote Originally Posted by tbabyy924 View Post
    Does it matter with the owner they have?
    They already had to pay that money, it's just that now it counts against their salary cap. It doesn't affect the owner at all, but it does affect basketball operations - especially in free agency.

6'9", 235 lbs?? Say what? Unless he's grown 2 inches and gained 55 pounds since I last saw him.

Good Signing for Boston. I hope he can come in and play well.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's really a no-risk signing although I'm not really sure what Miles brings to the table except for a slashing ability and high flying dunks. He can't shoot, and he's not much of a defender.

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    It's really a no-risk signing although I'm not really sure what Miles brings to the table except for a slashing ability and high flying dunks. He can't shoot, and he's not much of a defender.
    But playing him in just 10 games - he doesn't even have to make a play, they can just throw him on the floor as a sub and then sub him off at the next opportunity - screws over Portland's cap space to the tune of $9 million/year for 3 years. And there's no risk involved.

This hurts Portland in a big, bad way. Danny Ainge showing why he deservedly was EOY last year on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by BorisD View Post
    But playing him in just 10 games - he doesn't even have to make a play, they can just throw him on the floor as a sub and then sub him off at the next opportunity - screws over Portland's cap space to the tune of $9 million/year for 3 years. And there's no risk involved.

This hurts Portland in a big, bad way. Danny Ainge showing why he deservedly was EOY last year on this one.
    Yeah, he's doing us a big favor. It makes it pretty hard for Portland to sign Danny now.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can't imagine Miles making the final roster, let alone appearing in ten games.

Paul Allen is probably not worried.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

So in a way, I guess we're rooting for Darius Miles?

I highly doubt screwing over Portland really factored in Danny Ainge's decision making. Portland may have the start of a dynasty in about 3 seasons, but the Celts are in a separate conference and only have about a three season window at best with their current core. He's probably just looking for another guy to try to come in and replace some of Posey's production.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Absolutely. If his salary goes back on Portland's cap, then they can't sign Danny away from us.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Absolutely. If his salary goes back on Portland's cap, then they can't sign Danny away from us.
    they still can, but they'll have to make tough choices.

so yeah, danny ainge is doing us a favor

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    they still can, but they'll have to make tough choices.
    Like not re-signing core guys like Aldridge?

I can't imagine them making a move on the FA market now. They'll keep their group together.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Only because our management is exhibiting signs of stupidity, yes. Good signing by Boston. He might not pan out then again he has a chance to be a 10 and 5 type of energy guy to come off the bench.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    I can't imagine Miles making the final roster, let alone appearing in ten games.

Paul Allen is probably not worried.
    If he doesn't, WE should sign him & play him for a 10 day contract!!!
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

I like this signing. Between him and Jesus Shuttlesworth, they're stockpiling all the NBA players with acting experience. Now all they need is to trade for Shaq, get Rick Fox to come out of retirement, and hire Reggie Theus as an assistant coach when he inevitably gets fired and they'll be able to make Blue Chips 2: Chasing a Ring.

Anyone recall a few years ago when Miles wanted to come to Indiana? This was when Isiah was coach and we had te JO, Artest, Harrington core and Miles went on record (while playing with Cleveland) as wanting to play for the Pacers.

I liked Miles a lot when he was out in LA with Odom, Brand, Maggette, Kandi man, Quentin Richardson and others. I thought that team had a chance to be a strong competitor in the West for years to come before they broke up.

As far as the deal with Portland, wouldn't the insurance policy take care of the rest of his deal if he were permanently injured and it were a career threatening injury? Otherwise, I believe that Portland and Paul Allen would be on the hook for the rest of his contract -- both cap wise and from Paul Allen writing a check.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    As far as the deal with Portland, wouldn't the insurance policy take care of the rest of his deal if he were permanently injured and it were a career threatening injury? Otherwise, I believe that Portland and Paul Allen would be on the hook for the rest of his contract -- both cap wise and from Paul Allen writing a check.
    The insurance covers the top 3 salaries on the team, so chances are that it's covered finances-wise. But that's not the issue, the issue is the salary cap space. That $9 million per year for this year and next goes back onto their books if he appears in 10 games this year; otherwise, their cap space is free and clear from the obligation of it due to the medical exception granted for him.

It's a similar situation with Toronto and Garbajosa: even though they settled up with the insurance company and Spanish national federation for his balance, the amount of his buyout still sits on their cap until the end of the year. Yes, Toronto got paid for his remaining year, but his salary still counts against their salary cap.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    So if he gets cuts by Boston the Pacers should sign him and gimp him out there fore 10 games just as Danny insurance? Cripes, couldn't they just throw a 10 game contract at him at some point if he doesn't catch on somewhere. You know at least one Pacer will miss some time so a 10 game deal wouldn't be out of the blue. Get him 5 minutes a game during that period.

ie, what PacersGuy said