Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Wells: How Much is Granger Worth?

Default Mike Wells: How Much is Granger Worth?

August 20, 2008
    How much is Granger worth?

Posted by Mike Wells

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...ch_is_gra.html

I caught up with a Western Conference beat writer I hadn't talked to in a few months last week.

One of the first things he said was, "Now who are the Pacers starters? Mike Dunleavy, Danny Granger and who else? They don't have anybody that's ever played in an All-Star game."

That's true.

I told him Granger will be the next Pacers player to play in an All-Star game.

When? I don't know.

Granger, who is going into his fourth year, is still in his rookie contract. The Pacers can sign him to an extension at any time between now and the end of October. If not, he'll be a restricted free agent next summer.

Bird said a few weeks ago that they haven't really had much discussion with Granger because they can match any offer made to him if they don't sign him to an extension.

What type of contract do you think the Pacers should offer Granger?

Here's a look at several contracts players signed over the summer.

--Andrew Bogut: five years, $60 million

--Andre Iguodala: six years, $80 million

--Emeka Okafor: six years, $72 million

--Josh Smith: five years, $58 million

--Monta Ellis: six years, $67 million

I recently asked a league official what type of deal Granger should get. He threw him in the same breath as Iguodala.

Iguodala and Granger, who play a similar style, put up similar numbers last season.

Iguodala averaged 19.9 points, 5.4 rebounds and 4.8 assists while shooting 46 percent from the field. 1277

Granger averaged 19.6 points, 6.1 rebounds and 2.1 assists while making 45 percent of his attempts.

Do you agree with that assessment?

Here's a couple of tidbits:

--Don't think the Pacers have given up trying to trade point guard Jamaal Tinsley. Bird said earlier this week that he thinks things will pick back up after Labor Day because a lot of league officials are either on vacation or at the Olympics in Beijing.

-- T.J. Ford is doing his best to reach out to his new teammates. The Pacers point guard is expected to go to New York to workout with Dunleavy and Troy Murphy.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Default Re: Mike Wells: How Much is Granger Worth?

I'd say that's probably about right for Danny. As for Jamaal, hopefully they can get something done before camp starts.

No surprises there...other than I'm not sure why Murphleavy are in New York.

I'm guessing Bogut's numbers are base, because I thought it was 5/72. I'm still hoping 5/60 for Danny, but Iggy's contract numbers would put him around 5/65.

The Sixers made the playoffs last year. Granger at 15 million is a lot of money. The Pacers should sign him for only three years at that price. We have discussed this issue before on this very forum.

Not sure the Pacers can afford to pay him $80 million.

Hopefully we can get him for 6 years/$60-70 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Sixers made the playoffs last year. Granger at 15 million is a lot of money. The Pacers should sign him for only three years at that price. We have discussed this issue before on this very forum.
    Iggy's contract was at 6/80, which is actually about $13.3mm per year. It's a little richer than I'd prefer to pay, but it's not $15.

If we sign him this year, it will be a five year deal (the max # of years), and DG will probably get ETO's for at least the final year, if not the final two.

To match Iggy's contract, it would be closer to a 5yr/67mm deal...An $80mm deal would be just below the max ($84mm, I believe), and I don't think we're going there.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

6/72 max

He is a wing and if Josh Smith got 5/58 then we can get him for the same price. Look at the difference of markets. I just don't see Granger demanding a Ben Gordon type deal.

I know Danny's gotta look out for himself, but if he's serious about winning, he wouldn't take a contract that would mess up bringing quality players here for a few years. . .That's just my take
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I can certainly see a 5/67 deal. Maybe they are uptight about longer deals now but I doubt Danny's agent would go for 4 even at 56 (14 average).

Murphleavy have both worked out in NY for the past two summers. (I think Troy was born in NY)

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Murphleavy have both worked out in NY for the past two summers. (I think Troy was born in NY)
    Troy's from NJ, I think. I know that's where the AAU team he sponsors is based.

Also, I remember reading something last summer about Dunleavy working with a shooting coach in New York. Whatever he did, it worked, so hopefully it will work again.

As for Granger v. Iguodala, I'd say that Iggy is still a little above Danny. He's a better ball-handler and passer, and a slightly better defender. He's also younger. Danny is a much better outside shooter. He's also got an edge as a rebounder and shotblocker.

I'd love a 5 year $60-65 million deal for Danny. Though I think we'd be smart to do a frontloaded Kirk Hinrich type of contract. If we pay him $15 million the year Rasho, Daniels, and Foster come off the books and let it decrease from there, that would be a big help in resigning guys like Jack, Rush, and Hibbert when we need to. Morway's been creative in the past, let's hope he keeps it up.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Sports Logo

Thanks to Iggy for pushing the market rate of a player like Granger up.

I would much rather go with a lower salary based contract offer with incentives.

If we go for an extension this season ( my prefernce ), I'm guessing a $13 mil a year / 5 year contract that has incentives that can take it up to $75-80 mil over that period ( is it possible to over $10-15 mil in incentives? )

If Bird waits until he's a RFA ( which I think is a bad idea given the likely interest from the Blazers ), then I would go for a $12 mil a year / 6 year contract with incentives pushing it up to $80 mil.

BTW.....Wells forgot to include what Deng ( who I think is a better comparison when comparing SFs ) got from the Bulls.....a $71 mil / 6 year contract with incentives that go up to $80 mil.

Does anyone know if the contract that Iggy got was a straight-up $80 mil contract offer with no incentives?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I think it's a pretty big deal that TJ is going to NY to meet with Murphleavy.

We damn well better not wait until next year. Not only will we end up paying more, but it leads to sore feelings
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Thanks to Iggy for pushing the market rate of a player like Granger up.

I would much rather go with a lower salary based contract offer with incentives.

If we go for an extension this season ( my prefernce ), I'm guessing a $13 mil a year / 5 year contract that has incentives that can take it up to $75-80 mil over that period ( is it possible to over $10-15 mil in incentives? )

If Bird waits until he's a RFA ( which I think is a bad idea given the likely interest from the Blazers ), then I would go for a $12 mil a year / 6 year contract with incentives pushing it up to $80 mil.

BTW.....Wells forgot to include what Deng ( who I think is a better comparison when comparing SFs ) got from the Bulls.....a $71 mil / 6 year contract with incentives that go up to $80 mil.

Does anyone know if the contract that Iggy got was a straight-up $80 mil contract offer with no incentives?
    Ideally, Danny is a 5/50 to 5/55 guy. However, the market has pushed him up above that. Monta Ellis, Deng, and Josh Smith got contracts averaging $11-12 mm, Then Iggy got the average of $13.3mm (base pay, not incentive-laden). I'd put Danny ahead of the first three and slightly behind Iggy, so I still think we should be able to land him for 5/60.

I do not think add'l incentives, pushing the contract towards $80mm are either necessary or appropriate. I do not want to lose Danny, but he can play somewhere else for 5/80 or higher.

I don't mind paying Danny what he is worth (you should still try to get at a reasonable price, though) because I don't think he'll start to slack on his development just because he gets paid, like many players do.

It's hard to stay hungry when your a multi millonaire is my point.

I think that DG will continue to try to maximize his abilities regardless, imho.

Some players mail it in to the level of Derrice Coleman (when in NJ gave Larry Brown a blank check for his fines for being late to practice to cover him for the rest of the year), some to the level of Mel Mel, and without trying to start an argument, some to the level of JO, even though he talks a great game.
    Last edited by Speed; 08-20-2008 at 02:38 PM.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    We damn well better not wait until next year. Not only will we end up paying more, but it leads to sore feelings
    Yep, just ask the Bulls, Luol Deng, and Ben Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Then we might have to start worrying about what God tells him to do....

(vague reference to the 99-2000 season and offseason)

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Then we might have to start worrying about what God tells him to do....

(vague reference to the 99-2000 season and offseason)

-Bball
    Well, God sometimes has a sense of humor so at least it might be entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    Well, God sometimes has a sense of humor so at least it might be entertainment.
    Score 1 point for Grace!

LOL

-BBall
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree we need to get him signed to an extension as soon as we can.

I'd also like to say again, that I'm really excited to see what kind of leadership T.J.'s going to bring to this team.

I liked reading he was working out with Mike and Troy and it was nice to see we're not giving up on getting rid of Tinsley. He needs to be off this team as soon as possible and in the best outcome a trade that can benefit both parties.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Six years, $72 million
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

granger is worth about $8-9mil/yr. anything more and we are overpaying.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    granger is worth about $8-9mil/yr. anything more and we are overpaying.
    Wow......did you graduate from the Rick Sund / Hawks School of Contract Negotiations?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.