Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Danny Granger will have his number retired by the Pacers?

Default Do you think Danny Granger will have his number retired by the Pacers?

I believe if he keeps up his incredible pace he will go down as the 2nd greatest Pacer behind Reggie Miller. the Lakers had a chance to draft him and was disappointed when they didn't but I'm glad you guys have him and hes not in the WC.

Default Re: Do you think Danny Granger will have his number retired by the Pacers?

Way, way, WAY too early to be asking this question. Check back in about 6 years or so.

Default Re: Do you think Danny Granger will have his number retired by the Pacers?

Probably not. Danny's cool, but I'm not sure he's anything more than a quality starter. And the more I think about it the more uneasy I am about the load of money we're probably getting ready to throw his way. (Hoping for a reasonable deal.)
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably not. Danny's cool, but I'm not sure he's anything more than a quality starter. And the more I think about it the more uneasy I am about the load of money we're probably getting ready to throw his way.
    He has star qualities in his game and his defense is underrated. you are right that hes a quality starter at this point but he has sky high potential offensively and defensively. maybe I just like the guy a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by LakerTaz View Post
    He has star qualities in his game and his defense is underrated. you are right that hes a quality starter at this point but he has sky high potential offensively and defensively. maybe I just like the guy a lot.
    No I think you're right on about that. Now will he have his number retired? That just depends what he does from here. If he gets any better he is on the fast track to superstardom.

Too soon to be talking about it. Personally I don't see Granger with the team long enough to have his number retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Newman0r
    Too soon to be talking about it. Personally I don't see Granger with the team long enough to have his number retired.
    Thats unlikely IMO. Pacers have shown they can keep there star players through out.. like Reggie Miller. they are to invested in Danny Granger's game.

Depends on the impact and length of his tenure here. Also, you don't need to be disappointed that you didn't draft him when you got Bynum, who has more potential at a more important position. I have a feeling you'll be just fine with him as opposed to Granger.

Thing is I have loved Granger since his college days. not the same with Bynum who didn't even go to College.. i like Granger more.

Granger also never asked Vujacic to "throw me the ****ing ball".

And I thought the 2009 draft thread was too early! A lot has to happen for a player to have their number retired (multiple allstar appearances, playoff excellence, contending for a championship)

I'm glad Danny didn't wind up in LA. Talk about an MJ-Pippen one two punch!
    Last edited by 2minutes twowa; 08-13-2008 at 09:48 AM.
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Am I really reading a thread with this title right now?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Way, way, WAY too early to be asking this question. Check back in about 13 years or so.
    Editted to more accurately reflect the total number of years Granger would need to even come close to reaching Reggie's career stature. Until he has atleast 10 years in, let's not even discuss this matter. Like Hicks said, it's Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to be discussing this.
    Thats unlikely IMO. Pacers have shown they can keep there star players through out.. like Reggie Miller. They are too invested in Danny Granger's game.
    How'd you come to that conclusion?

Danny's only been in the league 3 yrs. He couldn't have made more than what...???...$6-9M w/the Pacers to date, and he's contracted to make just over $5.6M through the 2010 season. At the most we're talking $14M and that's a big stretch. It's not like the (est.) $118M contract they paid JO. The money aside, have I mentioned he hasn't even been named an All-Star yet? How much of an investment could the Pacers possibly have made in him thus far that they couldn't recoup or consider going in another direction with another player?

Give it time. I'm sure Danny will do good things throughout his career, but it's way too soon to debate this issue now. Danny just hasn't proven himself to be that type of player who commands the big bucks let alone is ready to even consider placing him among the Pacer greats...yet.
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 08-13-2008 at 10:31 AM.

NO.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Too soon to tell.

streets ahead

i'd be interested to see what croz24 thinks...
    This is the darkest timeline.

like hicks and others have said- much too early to be making a call on this. so far, granger has been good but has MUCH left to prove he is worthy of such an honor. his defense is good but i wouldn't say great. and he hasn't shown the ability to rise to the occasion like reggie did. of course there is still plenty of time for him to show he can but, for the time, I'm taking a wait and see attitude.

NuffSaid, I agree it won't be decided until about a decade or more from now, but I could see it start to be somewhat seriously discussed by 2015 if Danny's career goes well. He'd have to have taken his game up another notch or two and stayed there, though.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No. I think that Granger will have a Detlef Schrempf-like career which is not garbage by any means but not a retired-number like career, either. I also don't think Danny will ever be as involved in the community as Reggie either which undoubtedly played a large role in Reggie getting his number retired so fast. I don't think Danny is a bad guy by any means but he just doesn't seem to be as engaging and social as Reggie.

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I was going thru the Fox Sports board and out of curiosity checked out the Pacers roster.

It has Danny listed as suspended as well as Harrison.....

Is this another Fox mistake?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/teamRos...tegoryId=71085

This must be a bad dream.
    Mood

Sports Logo

I believe if he keeps up his incredible pace he will go down as the 2nd greatest Pacer behind Reggie Miller. the Lakers had a chance to draft him and was disappointed when they didn't but I'm glad you guys have him and hes not in the WC.

2nd greatest Pacer? If he were to start putting up George McGinnis type
    numbers and help deliver a championship, then I would have to say yes
    there may be the possibilty of getting his number retired.

As much as I like DG, I do not believe he is that strong to be able to impose
    his will on the entire league though like McGinnis could back in his heyday.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Probably not. Danny's cool, but I'm not sure he's anything more than a quality starter. And the more I think about it the more uneasy I am about the load of money we're probably getting ready to throw his way. (Hoping for a reasonable deal.)
    Danny is the man on the pacers right now he averaged 30+ points in the last six games of the season last year sometimes it looked like he was the only person wanting to win out there. I know it's way to early but i expect to see Danny before i see Bum-levy. Danny is the only go to guy we have on our team which is i think thats a little better than coo for a 4th year SF which is the hardest position on the floor.

You do realize how high that bar is set right? As far as being the second greatest Pacer I think McGinnis, Brown and Daniels might have something to say about that.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    You do realize how high that bar is set right? As far as being the second greatest Pacer I think McGinnis, Brown and Daniels might have something to say about that.
    Marquis is not that good....

"Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

I'd put odds at 4 to 1.