Thread: Sixers re-sign Iguodala for 6yr/80 mil

Default Sixers re-sign Iguodala for 6yr/80 mil

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3532139

Tuesday, August 12, 2008
    Sources: Iguodala agrees to six-year, $80 million deal with Sixers

By Henry Abbott
    ESPN.com

The Philadelphia 76ers and restricted free agent Andre Iguodala have agreed to a six-year, $80 million contract, league sources told ESPN.com.

The athletic and exciting 6-foot-6 forward/guard has improved his scoring average in each of his first four seasons, and promises to be a mainstay on a Sixers team that recently signed former Clippers big man Elton Brand to an estimated $82 million free-agent contract.

Point guard Andre Miller, center Samuel Dalembert, and promising bench players like Thaddeus Young and Louis Williams make the Sixers an emergent force in the East. The young team managed to extend the Detroit Pistons to six games in the opening round of this year's playoffs -- and that was even before they added one of the NBA's best post scorers in Brand. Now the Sixers will be a popular pick to join the league's elite for many years to come.

If the Sixers had not been able to sign Iguodala, the 24-year-old could have played this season for them after signing a qualifying offer, which would have made him an unrestricted free agent next summer. In that scenario, the Sixers could have lost their most exciting young star without any compensation.

Iguodala and the team had an opportunity to work out a contract extension last summer but could not come to an agreement. Talks this offseason moved slowly until the last 24 hours, when, sources say, the team significantly increased its offer.

Although the basic terms of the deal have been agreed to, the new contract has yet to be finalized and signed.

Henry Abbott writes the TrueHoop blog for ESPN.com.
    Well, this further establishes the market for re-signing Granger. Too bad the money's not going to be any cheap.

Default Re: Sixers re-sign Iguodala for 6yr/80 mil

Iggy is a very nice player and likely will develop into a consistent all-around threat. However, $80,000,000 is a lot of cash for a dude who will never be the best player on a championship-caliber team. He's still got some areas to improve upon, but at least he takes pride in his defense.

IMHO, they overpaid. 6yr $58-60 million would be appropriate.

Iguodala can dunk in the open floor and play good defense on 2nd tier SG/SFs. He cannot consistently shoot the jumper or the 3, does not have a post game, he cannot guard Lebron, Paul Pierce caliber players. Other than being athletic and a good defender, I can't think of a signature offensive move that he has.

Why would you pay him max or close to max money. They would have been better off doing a sign and trade or sign him for 6yrs and $57-60 million or so.

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iggy is a very nice player and likely will develop into a consistent all-around threat. However, $80,000,000 is a lot of cash for a dude who will never be the best player on a championship-caliber team. He's still got some areas to improve upon, but at least he takes pride in his defense.
    Wow, combined with Brand's contract, the Sixers are putting forth some serious cash. I surely hope that translates into more than 1st round fodder.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3532139

Well, this further establishes the market for re-signing Granger. Too bad the money's not going to be any cheap.
    I think Granger is the better player IMHO, and I'd have no problem with this kind of contract for him. I think Danny turns the corner this year defensively, as he's already proven himself as a scorer.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    I think Granger is the better player IMHO, and I'd have no problem with this kind of contract for him. I think Danny turns the corner this year defensively, as he's already proven himself as a scorer.

Will we be able to pay danny that kind of money,or should I ask, will we?
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

Ouch. Shoulda gotten Granger's deal done earlier.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Granger won't get this much, don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala View Post
    Iguodala can dunk in the open floor and play good defense on 2nd tier SG/SFs. He ... does not have a post game, he cannot guard Lebron, Paul Pierce caliber players ... I can't think of a signature offensive move that he has.
    Sounds like someone I know.

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    Granger won't get this much, don't worry.
    Yeah...don't worry. That would be crazy. We'll only give Danny 5 years/$65 million
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    Wow, combined with Brand's contract, the Sixers are putting forth some serious cash. I surely hope that translates into more than 1st round fodder.
    I don't.

I think the Pacers are waiting to see if they can make some more moves before signing Danny. They know how good he is, they know to keep him they're going to have to pay.

(edit) Danny actually is in the final year now. We don't actually have to sign him till next season.
    Last edited by aceace; 08-13-2008 at 01:12 AM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Ouch. Shoulda gotten Granger's deal done earlier.
    How do you know it's the Pacers that are the hold up? Maybe Danny's agent wants to watch the happenings before starting negotiations....

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

rumors floating around (e.g. from philly realgm board) that iguodala's deal is actually very similar to deng's. that is, 6 years $72m guaranteed with incentives possibly bringing it to $80m. if true, that makes a lot more sense.

if that's the market rate then danny's extension would probably look like 5 years for just under $60m guaranteed, with incentives that could bring it up to $65m.

with no more teams under the cap, philly could have played hard ball with iguodala the way atlanta did with josh smith. but it seems they've opted to give him a pretty fair deal (slightly overpaid imo).

Iguodala's a 20-5-5 player last year. This does set a market but I'd guess Granger will get a bit less.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Overpaid or not, Philly is gonna be tough.
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...a_no_deal_yet/

According to Phil Jasner of the Philadelphia Daily News, reports that forward Andre Iguodala has signed a 6 year, $80 million extension are premature.

Jasner received an email response from Sixers GM Ed Stefanski saying that there was "nothing to report from our side."

Later, in Los Angeles on vacation, he was interviewed by Tom McCarthy, of the Phillies' broadcast team, during the Phils-Dodgers game.

When asked about Iguodala, he said, "Right now we're still negotiating. I hope it comes to fruition, but there's no deal yet.''

Comcast SportsNet is saying that while a deal has been agreed to in principle, it has not yet been finalized and would not be so as of last night.

According to the Daily News, there has been speculation that agent Rob Pelinka initially asked for a maximum contract, and the two sides have been negotiating from there.
    Pacers,baby!

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

seems like the initial report is correct and that the deal really is for 6 years $80m

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/spor...urces_say.html

Multiple sources confirmed reports as "reasonably accurate" of an agreement in principle for six seasons and $80 million, including an additional $5 million in incentive clauses and an opt-out clause after the fifth season.

The deal between Rob Pelinka, Iguodala's agent, and Sixers president/general manager Eddie Stefanski was agreed to yesterday, sources said, after Pelinka and Stefanski met earlier in the week in Los Angeles. Stefanski ostensibly was in Los Angeles, where Pelinka is based, on vacation. Stefanski attended the Phillies' game at Dodger Stadium on Tuesday night.

The contract is expected to be signed early next week. Pelinka, reached at his office yesterday afternoon, declined to comment. Stefanski, reached via cell phone last night, also declined to comment.

Assuming that the numbers are indeed "reasonably accurate" for Iguodala's deal, a veteran league executive termed it "unbelievable, a good deal for the Sixers . . . if they win."

Amazingly, Iguodala's new deal - for which the Sixers probably overpaid a little to ensure keeping their nucleus intact and because of their belief in the player's upside - is for significantly more than Allen Iverson, the previous A.I., got in his first extension with the Sixers. That one was worth $70 million.

Keith Glass, the agent for Ivey and a veteran of representing players, laughed and said, "Luckily, there are incentive clauses. I guess $80 million wasn't enough. Thank goodness, there are incentives."

More seriously, Glass said: "In times like these it all sounds like monopoly money, but this is the market. It's not out of line from either side. This is a case where both sides won. You can't say Iguodala lost, and the Sixers know what they're doing. Ed Stefanski has done a pretty good job of turning this around. He's a very straight shooter. The Sixers know what Iguodala meant to the franchise."

Asked to assess the situation, a veteran scout said, "I'm a little shocked, but this is a lot of money. But Iguodala made out by gambling. I didn't think he'd get that much. He's a good player and he'd be in the rotation of all the teams, but there are teams he wouldn't start for. To me, it's a lot for a guy who hasn't been an All-Star, who hasn't been out of the first round of the playoffs."

Another agent, who asked not to be identified, said: "I'm speechless. I don't know how to respond. That's amazing."

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Asked to assess the situation, a veteran scout said, "I'm a little shocked, but this is a lot of money. But Iguodala made out by gambling. I didn't think he'd get that much. He's a good player and he'd be in the rotation of all the teams, but there are teams he wouldn't start for. To me, it's a lot for a guy who hasn't been an All-Star, who hasn't been out of the first round of the playoffs."

Another agent, who asked not to be identified, said: "I'm speechless. I don't know how to respond. That's amazing."
    Glad I'm not the only one to see it that way.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!