Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jared Lorenzen Should be Our Starter

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Jared Lorenzen Should be Our Starter

Considering there is a possibility that Peyton may miss the season opener (bursa sac surgeries aren't that easy to come back from and it's possible it'll be a lingering problem), should the Colts seriously look at Lorenzen as the potential starter for the remaining Pre-Season games?

Sorgi can hold a mean clipboard but as a QB he's terrible. His pencil thin frame and lack of pocket instincts are a recipe for disaster. The Colts need a good stop-gap player in the event that Peyton will be out throughout the season and to me, base on the guys we have, Lorenzen is the best option.

He has good size and despite being a porker, he's more mobile than Sorgi. He has good arm strength and he can at least tell when the pocket is about to collasp on him. I thought he played well for the Giants last year when he stepped in after Eli got hurt.

This is not an endorsement for Lozenzen as much as it is a vote of no-confidence in Jim Sorgi. I'd be happy with Quinn Gray too. In fact the Colts should just cut Sorgi right now. He's never been good enough to be a backup in the NFL, let alone a starter.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Jared Lorenzen Should be Our Starter

You might be on to something, as he looked decent the other night, but I can't even fathom it. The thought of anyone other than Peyton taking the first snap at the house that he built is enough to make me vomit. It's a topic I just cannot think about.

I mean, it sucked last year when Harrison was gone, but not having Peyton in the lineup would be about 1000000000000 times worse.

Do we really want to start 0-1?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Do we really want to start 0-1?

There's a strong chance we'll go 0-1 if it's anyone other than Peyton starting. It doesn't matter if it's Sorgi or Lorenzen or me.

I agree. I'm just saying that unless Peyton can't walk he should try and give it a go. Even if he is just more of a decoy and Addai does the heavy lifting offensively.

What do you mean there's a chance Peyton may not start am I missing something?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree. I'm just saying that unless Peyton can't walk he should try and give it a go. Even if he is just more of a decoy and Addai does the heavy lifting offensively.
    That's a thought but I'd rather he be 100% healthy rather than hobbled. Plus if he's not completely healthy he's just going to be a further risk of injury.

I'd rather they lose a couple of games at the beginning of the season if Peyton is completely healthy and rested the rest of the season.

In the meantime, I think Lorenzen should be looked at as the potential starter with Quinn next and Sorgi should do what he does best - wear his cap backwards and help select plays from the clipboard.
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.

If that's the case then god help us. If his only purpose week one is to be a decoy, then it's going to be a long season. If that's the case, I don't see how he could go from decoy in week 1 to being Peyton of Old (which is what we need to beat the Jags) by week 3.

We have a B&%#h of a schedule this year, and we need Manning to be 100% if we want a 6th straight AFC South Title.

Of course, the Colts say he's on schedule, so hopefully he's fully ready for week 1. But after the Harrison debacle last year, the Colts could tell me that the sky is up and I would think that it's down.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    What do you mean there's a chance Peyton may not start am I missing something?
    Peyton hasn't even had one single training camp practice yet. That's not a good sign that he'll be ready to lace them up less than a month.

There's no official news, I'm just basing it off of Harrison's injury. Marvin had a ruptured bursa sac, Peyton had an infected one. Both required removing the bursa sac and the bursa sac is not something you want to have removed. We know how long it took Marvin to return to the field (he's still trying to get his timing back). Knee injuries tend to linger too.

The Colts have a target date of August 15th as his return to practice. I'm just bracing for him missing the opener and it wouldn't surprise me if he missed the first 2 games of the season.

Not to scare you guys but...

There have been Manning sightings on the Rose-Hullman campus, but he has mostly kept himself away from the media and the public. The Colts have set an unofficial target date of Aug. 15 for his return. That is when they are scheduled to break camp and return to their training facility in Indianapolis, where Manning has spent the bulk of his time since the surgery.

It's still uncertain exactly how much on-field work he will be able to do before the Sept. 7 season opener against Chicago.

"You don't want anybody to be hurt and you wish nothing bad to happen to anybody, but there's a sense of urgency," Sorgi said. "I mean, right now, the preseason is four more games, but is (Manning) going to be ready by the first (regular-season) game? Is he going to be ready by our bye week, which is Week 4? In my mind, I'm preparing like it's going to be a long-term deal where I'm going to have to play for a long time. Then, if he comes back, I'll go back to doing what I was doing."
    Week 4?
    Last edited by naptownmenace; 08-11-2008 at 04:32 PM.

I am all about Manning coming back healthy whe he's ready and personally I couldn't care less if we start the season something like 2-3 because honestly we screw up every season where we get off to too quick of a start.

I don't give a **** about a useless AFC South title and I don't give a **** about a first round bye. All I want is a Super Bowl and the only time the Colts won it all there were a few bumps in the road in the regular season, the team came back from that adversity, and turned it on in the playoffs. Years where we've came off of a nearly perfect season we've been rusty at best in the playoffs and quite frankly embarassed ourselves.

It's a damn embarassment to lose THREE straight times in the playoffs with a first round bye (TEN, PIT, AND SD) and I never want to see a Colts team even in that game as the home team ever ever again. Homefield advantage hinders the Colts unless we're playing New England.

When you've got a team like the Colts who are capable of beating almost every time in the league 9/10 times you have the luxury of not going balls to the wall in Week 3.

My early prediction is that the Colts will be something like 2-3 or 3-4 early in the season and the fans will freak the hell out, but we'll improve with Manning in the lineup and win the games that actually matter.
    Last edited by idioteque; 08-11-2008 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    I am all about Manning coming back healthy whe he's ready and personally I couldn't care less if we start the season something like 2-3 because honestly we screw up every season where we get off to too quick of a start.

When you've got a team like the Colts who are capable of beating almost every time in the league 9/10 times you have the luxury of not going balls to the wall in Week 3.

My early prediction is that the Colts will be something like 2-3 or 3-4 early in the season and the fans will freak the hell out, but we'll improve with Manning in the lineup and win the games that actually matter.

Have you looked at our schedule? If we start out 2-3 there is no way we are going to the playoffs. We would practically have to win out in order to win the division.

After 5 games our schedule is:

@ GB
    @ Ten
    NE
    @ Pit
    Hou
    @SD
    @Cleve
    Cin
    Det
    @Jax.
    Ten

To win the division we need to go 13-3, at worst 12-4 (assuming you have the tie breaker over Jax. If we start out 2-3 or 3-4 with that schedule, there is absolutely no way that is happening.

Even if we're healthy on day 1, winning the division this season with that schedule will be harder than winning it in any of the previous 5 years. And if we are healthy, I think we will win it again. But if we start out 2-3, I think you can kiss it good bye with that beast of a schedule.

We need to start out 5-0. Gotta take care of Chicago and Minnesota, then beat Jacksonville at home, and then take care of Houston and Baltimore before we go up to Green Bay.

Yep, I agree with Adam on this, if Peyton isn't ready to go within the first five weeks we are in trouble.

We should have signed Pennington if this is the case. He's no world beater, but he's miles better than anything else we have and he's more than capable of winning games with the talent that would surround him.

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Peyton hasn't even had one single training camp practice yet. That's not a good sign that he'll be ready to lace them up less than a month.

There's no official news, I'm just basing it off of Harrison's injury. Marvin had a ruptured bursa sac, Peyton had an infected one. Both required removing the bursa sac and the bursa sac is not something you want to have removed. We know how long it took Marvin to return to the field (he's still trying to get his timing back). Knee injuries tend to linger too.

The Colts have a target date of August 15th as his return to practice. I'm just bracing for him missing the opener and it wouldn't surprise me if he missed the first 2 games of the season.

Not to scare you guys but...

Week 4?

Marvin had structural damage, Peyton had an infection there's a difference.

And we have 3 more preseason games not four.

I rather have Lorenzen as our backup after that Carolina game but until then I'm not going to worry about it. Luckily this isn't a major story because of Favre.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I remember watching some report when it was big news about peytons knee that it was reported he had a problem with his other knee back in his first year or two at tennessee. I think he'll heal up and come back just as well even without coming to practice and taking snaps and going through the routine you have to believe he's watching all sorts of tapes and getting as much information as he can on the upcoming season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Marvin had structural damage, Peyton had an infection there's a difference.
    They both had to have the bursa sac removed so the injuries and recovery time for Manning could be comparable.

Marvin had structural damage in his left knee. The bursitis was in his right knee - I was only comparing this injury. But you've got a point, Marvin's coming back from 2 different knee injuries which is probably why it took longer for him to return.

The good news is that he should be able to return from this injury and play at a high level if he's fully healed but I'm not expecting him to be ready to go before game 3.

Until then... Lorenzen should get a long look as the interim starter.
    Last edited by naptownmenace; 08-12-2008 at 11:54 AM.

Yep, I agree with Adam on this, if Peyton isn't ready to go within the first five weeks we are in trouble.

We should have signed Pennington if this is the case. He's no world beater, but he's miles better than anything else we have and he's more than capable of winning games with the talent that would surround him.
    But why in the world would Pennington want to come here for a 3 game gig (which would be the absolute most games he'd play).

In Miami, he has a strong chance to be the starter all year, but if he came here it would be inevitable that he would be going back to the bench the moment that Peyton was healed. That's not the ideal situation for him nor the Colts.'

No good quarterback is ever going to come here because it's a 100% certainty that you're going to ride the pine all season. That's why Sorgi is the best we can do. If I'm Pennington, I'd much rather want to go to Miami and have a chance to start all season while reviving my career than be a 3 game rental in Indy. And if I'm the Colts, I'm not going to shell out 11.5 mil (which is what Mia gave him for 2 years) just so he can be a 3 game rental. If Manning can't play at the start of the year, we're just going to be stuck with what we have for those first 3 games or however long it takes him to get back. Hopefully that doesn't happen, but that's a risk you take when you put all of your eggs in one basket like the Colts do with Peyton (which I support 100%).
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 08-12-2008 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    Have you looked at our schedule? If we start out 2-3 there is no way we are going to the playoffs. We would practically have to win out in order to win the division.

After 5 games our schedule is:

@ GB
    @ Ten
    NE
    @ Pit
    Hou
    @SD
    @Cleve
    Cin
    Det
    @Jax.
    Ten

To win the division we need to go 13-3, at worst 12-4 (assuming you have the tie breaker over Jax. If we start out 2-3 or 3-4 with that schedule, there is absolutely no way that is happening.

Even if we're healthy on day 1, winning the division this season with that schedule will be harder than winning it in any of the previous 5 years. And if we are healthy, I think we will win it again. But if we start out 2-3, I think you can kiss it good bye with that beast of a schedule.

We need to start out 5-0. Gotta take care of Chicago and Minnesota, then beat Jacksonville at home, and then take care of Houston and Baltimore before we go up to Green Bay.
    Wow, that is a nasty schedule!

Without Peyton, you will not beat Minnesota, Jacksonville, or Houston. That is just my guess. I wouldn't worry though, Peyton will be back for the season opener.

Yeah, if we have a losing record after the first five games, then we're not making the playoffs. Going 7-4 / 8-3 for that last stretch would probably be what we should hope for.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

We aren't going to have a losing record after 5 weeks
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    We aren't going to have a losing record after 5 weeks
    If Manning plays we won't. If he plays, then we go 5-0.

But if he isn't able to play at the beginning.......

The season starts in a month against the BEARS. I do not care if we have a losing record for the first five weeks of the season. I want our team to be on a role come playoff time. I am sick of winning in Sept; only to lose in January. Remember the Chargers last year!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    The season starts in a month against the BEARS. I do not care if we have a losing record for the first five weeks of the season. I want our team to be on a role come playoff time. I am sick of winning in Sept; only to lose in January. Remember the Chargers last year!!
    Dude, have you not looked at our schedule?

Tell me how we can have a losing record after 5 games and still get into the playoffs with that schedule.

No, I don't think that will happen. I think Peyton will be fine and that we'll be the same Colts we always are. But with surgery like that, anything is possible. All I'm trying to say is, we need a healthy Peyton from day 1 if we want a 6th straight South title.

I think everyone needs to remember not to take to much from the pre-season. We never play very well this time of year.

Come week one with or without Payton behind center we will still have one of the best defences in the league that specializes in extreamly hard hits and forcing turnovers. To go along with this D we will have one of the best running attacks in the NFL.

This alone will get us through the start of the season. But thats not it we also have Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark and a young Anthony Gonzalez that is coming into his own paired with one of the best O-lines in the league.

Lorenzen or Sorgi we would be fine. But the fact of the matter is Payton is the smartest, hardest working QB ever to grace the football field. As soon as he gets the go ahead he will be ready.

Everyone should breath and except the fact that this team is stacked and ready to reclaim there place at the top of NFL.

This statement tells me he will be back and healthy. Polian would have gotten someone more of a longterm solution if he thought Payton would miss significant time. There's no reason to worry until he doesn't get back for the preseason game August 24th.
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

I like our running game, but I wouldn't call it one of the best in the league. Not yet anyway. Maybe it improves w/ our newfound RB depth and less O-line injuries. And while our defense is nice, I think we saw last year that it's only something special when we've got a healthy Freeney. We'll see--if everyone is healthy (Peyton, Dwight, Marvin) this could be a special year for the Colts.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?