Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Cooking and Libations Thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Cooking and Libations Thread

Great thread guys. I love to cook, but find that I am not very good at it. I try, but more often than not, I fail. Every once in awhile things will go just right, and it's really a great feeling. Food tastes better when you have labored for it a little.

I've been trying to eat healthier lately. I have been a huge red meat eater and I'm trying to cut back and incorporate some salmon, shrimp, and other sea urchins into my diet. Anyone have any good (as always, cheap) recipes for fish other than salmon?

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

tuna salad - its fast, easy and relatively healthy.

Sorry cdash, everything I cook is vegetarian. Made some good ricotta cheese tortellini with vodka sauce and fake meatballs last night.

That sounds really good btown.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Junior Member The Toxic Avenger's Avatar

I thought Btown was a vegetarian! I made my lady friend a sandwich inspired off of the Travel Channel's "Man vs. Food" Fried Seasoned Sweet Potatoes with fake Sausage smothered with Macaroni and Cheese on a Mayo and Mustard Bun. She loved it.

I had a bite and it was okay but she claims it is the best sandwich she has ever had, which I find suspect considering the sandwiches I've made for her in the past, but I made her another one later that night and she downed it in half the time so.... Go figure.

I do a lot of vegetarian stuff like that where I just throw together whatever I have.

Quote Originally Posted by The Toxic Avenger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought Btown was a vegetarian! I made my lady friend a sandwich inspired off of the Travel Channel's "Man vs. Food" Fried Seasoned Sweet Potatoes with fake Sausage smothered with Macaroni and Cheese on a Mayo and Mustard Bun. She loved it.

I had a bite and it was okay but she claims it is the best sandwich she has ever had, which I find suspect considering the sandwiches I've made for her in the past, but I made her another one later that night and she downed it in half the time so.... Go figure.

I do a lot of vegetarian stuff like that where I just throw together whatever I have.
    I am.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

My favorite cookbook is a vegetarian cookbook. It's called "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone". It is massive, with hundreds and hundreds of recipes. It is also very cheap. I recommend it to even the most devoted meat eaters.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Junior Member The Toxic Avenger's Avatar

Another big hit with the Vegans, so probably vegetarians as well, is Biscuits and Gravy.

Its such a warm and filling comfort food, its hard to replace. It took a while to perfect on a vegan level since you can't use milk for the gravy or biscuits and you have to use fake butter... anyway.

Brown a little fake sausage, fennel, pepper, red pepper flakes. Mix 1/4 cup of butter and a lot of flour together until it becomes a paste then add THAT into the browned sausage. Add in milk (or unsweetened Soymilk) slowly so that the butter roux mixes up well and eventually, if done right, you will get gravy. If you've never made gravy before definitely look up directions. But anyway, its amazing if you're only eating pastas and vegetables to change it up with this dish.

GO!!!!! needs to be here for all this vegetarian talk.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Breakfast of Champions

Sauteed onions and baby portobello mushrooms, along with leftover grilled curry eggplant, zucchini and tomato, all bundled into a 3 egg omelette topped with hot sauce

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

bump
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!