Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Cooking and Libations Thread

Default Re: The Cooking and Libations Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All three. Both kosher and table salt leave a dry burn on the tip and sides of the tongue. Sea salt involves the entire palate and the additional minerals pop right out to me.

I can also taste the difference between different sea salts, and my favorite (head and shoulders above) is Celtic Gray.

I wonder sometimes if it's because I actually spend time in the ocean that I can really taste the difference. There's something unmistakable about the way each kind of ocean water from different places on earth tastes to me. put a cup of sea water from california, hawaii and florida in front of me and I'll be able to name them on smell and taste.
    Interesting.

I have half a dozen tiny bags of specialty sea salts and it's pretty obvious the differences between them, but when I got a big container of generic sea salt at the grocery store it wasn't very different at all from kosher.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    We made a Low Country Boil last night.

1 package of Zattarain's(Spelling?) Crab Boil
    4tblspoons of Salt
    Cayenne Pepper to Taste
    4 lbs of Shrimp(I like to use the medium size)
    2 Links of smoked Sausage(2 packages)
    1 3lb bag of Red Potatoes
    12 small ears of Corn(Fresh is better, but frozen is ok)

We do this outside in our Turkey Fryer connected to a tank of
    propane.

Bring Crab Boil, Salt, and Cayenne Pepper to a rolling boil with the pot about 2/3 full of water.

Add Potatoes, boil for 10 minutes then add Corn, Boil for 5 minutes.
    Then add Sausage and boil for 5 more minutes.
    Then add Shrimp and boil for 3 minutes. Do not boil shrimp any longer than 3 minutes. It will over cook them.

Turn off Flame and let sit for 5 minutes in the water.

Our Cooker has a basket, so we have the basket in the bottom of the pot and bring the basket full of the food out fo the water to drain the water off. Then spread newspaper or wax paper out on a table or counter and dump the basket onto to table.

And enjoy. Everyone picks at it while sitting at the table.
    That sounds delicious.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Chili tonight. Mine...the wife and I like it made dif. She wants it made in a skillet and dry, I llike chili a bit soupy.

looking for good recipe's. Don't let me down. Any style....any way....we love it.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Sweet and Spicy Chili

Ingredients:
    2 lbs ground beef
    1 C chopped onions
    1 clove garlic, chopped
    ½ C chopped red or green bell pepper
    1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes
    1 4-oz can diced green chilis
    2 15-oz cans chili beans
    1 ½ tsp chili powder
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp thyme
    ½ tsp cinnamon
    ½ C honey

Directions:
    Brown and drain beef, then add onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Transfer to
    large pot, then add remaining ingredients except for honey.
    Simmer 7-10 min.
    Add honey, and stir well.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

teY dennaB toN

Anyone have a good home-made salsa recipe?

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Sweet and Spicy Chili

Ingredients:
    2 lbs ground beef
    1 C chopped onions
    1 clove garlic, chopped
    ½ C chopped red or green bell pepper
    1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes
    1 4-oz can diced green chilis
    2 15-oz cans chili beans
    1 ½ tsp chili powder
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp thyme
    ½ tsp cinnamon
    ½ C honey

Directions:
    Brown and drain beef, then add onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Transfer to
    large pot, then add remaining ingredients except for honey.
    Simmer 7-10 min.
    Add honey, and stir well.
    Solid recipe. Try switching honey with dark chocolate. (yeah, I said it). You'll geek over it!
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Solid recipe. Try switching honey with dark chocolate. (yeah, I said it). You'll geek over it!
    Oh yeah, I've done that. Plus ground-up pecans! Really good.

Tonight we made something that under no circumstances can be considered "fine dining" but they're quite good: Spicy Sausage and Cheese Biscuits. These are a "on the way out the door" food for busy mornings.

Basic biscuit recipe:
    2 cups self-rising flour (or all-purpose white + 1T baking powder + 1t salt)
    1 cup heavy whipping cream.

That's it. No shortening or anything else. Anyway, I cooked up half a container of spicy ground sausage and chopped in a few forkfuls of jalapeno and banana peppers. Added a cup of shredded chedder, a small handful of frozen corn, and a small bit of Cajun seasoning, mixed it all together and added the whipping cream. Kneaded it in the bowl, broke it off into pieces, and made 1 tray full of biscuits. They're supposed to cook at 450 for 10, but we had something else baking so we did 350 for 30.

They're great. As soon as I submit this reply, I'm going back for fourths.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Anyone have a good home-made salsa recipe?
    1 mango, diced
    1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
    1 jalapeno, finely chopped
    3 tablespoons lime juice (supposed to be fresh, but I use the green plastic bottle and it works great)
    3 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro

Enjoy your time at PD!

Made yakisoba tonight for the first time... pretty good. I loosely followed Mark Bittman's recipe... he's my favorite foodie.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/03/dining/03mini.html

I used egg noodles instead of rice noodles, leftover pork loin instead of uncooked pork shoulder, and added some spinach (we sneak spinach into everything to get the kids more greens) and egg (since we didn't have quite as much pork as I wanted).

Despite the fact that mine didn't really look much like his, it really turned out well. Definitely worth experimenting with, if you're into Eastern cuisine.
    Last edited by Anthem; 04-26-2010 at 07:45 PM.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

We also tried something new on the grill last night. Mango Turkey Pita Sandwiches. We started with 2 turkey tenderloins and sliced them lengthwise marinated in mango chutney. I peeled and diced 2 mangoes and sauteed them with a small chopped red onion, a clove of garlic, a chopped red jalapeño, sugar, and a cup of white wine vinegar to make that. I only used half of the chutney as the marinade. Grilled the turkey on the grill. Then, I took 4 pita rounds, brushed them with olive oil mixed with cayenne pepper and toasted them on the grill too. When all of that was done I broke each pita in half and put a romaine leaf on it, topped that with some of the turkey, some of the remainig chutney, some flaked Parmesan cheese, and put another pita half on top. So basically, I made a fancy turkey sandwich using toasted pitas for the bread. A bit messy but extrememely tasty.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

bread pudding

chicken-n-soy sauce

Grilled a pizza yesterday, burned the crust a little but it was delicious. Green and red peppers, vidalia sweet onions, baby portabella mushrooms, kalamata olives (not my favorites, but the girl helping me make it wanted them, they're easy enough to pick off), sundried tomato and roasted garlic pasta sauce, sliced tomatoes, boar's head pepperoni, and of course some cheese, we went with a five cheese shredded italian blend. Sprinkled McCormick's Select Zesty Italian Seasoning or something like that on top of all of this. The crust we used was the refrigerated crust in the can, think in the same vein as what a biscuit or a roll in a can would look like.

I would honestly recommend making the pizza on top of tin foil on the grill, but it's really up to you. It can be difficult to move if you don't have the right utensils. I cooked over med-high, but in the future I might go medium or even med-low and just let it cook longer. The flavor however was delicious and the crust really didn't burn that bad.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Grilled a pizza yesterday, burned the crust a little but it was delicious. Green and red peppers, vidalia sweet onions, baby portabella mushrooms, kalamata olives (not my favorites, but the girl helping me make it wanted them, they're easy enough to pick off), sundried tomato and roasted garlic pasta sauce, sliced tomatoes, boar's head pepperoni, and of course some cheese, we went with a five cheese shredded italian blend. Sprinkled McCormick's Select Zesty Italian Seasoning or something like that on top of all of this. The crust we used was the refrigerated crust in the can, think in the same vein as what a biscuit or a roll in a can would look like.

I would honestly recommend making the pizza on top of tin foil on the grill, but it's really up to you. It can be difficult to move if you don't have the right utensils. I cooked over med-high, but in the future I might go medium or even med-low and just let it cook longer. The flavor however was delicious and the crust really didn't burn that bad.
    A VERY easy variation on this is to use a whole pita bread as the crust and make personal sized pizzas. The pita will grill up very thin and crispy and you can get just the right amount of char on the crust for your preference if you're careful. There's no need for tinfoil or special utensils, it's fast, and it tastes delicious.

Junior Member The Toxic Avenger's Avatar

Hey, I know Mark Bittman... not really but I recently bought a book of his...

Anyway I was looking to get into Cooking as a career and I was just wondering if anyone here has had experience working at "Nicer" restaurants or ever managed/owned their own Place?

I've looked into Cooking Schools but they are UBER-Expensive and, since I don't even know if I'd love to be a chef for the rest of my life, I can't really justify spending so much money on school... I mean I could end up working at Applebee's for a year then moving on to something else. Boy would I be embarrassed then.

And as far as cooking goes... try keeping your Soy Sauce on the side and dipping into it or dipping your fork/chopstick into it. Do this and you'll avoid eating so much sodium and still all the flavor since the food has no time to absorb the salt or water down its distinct taste... this is a good tip for those that have high blood pressure.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

I made a first attempt at Indian cookery (not counting some simple curries with the popular curry in a box powder) today...started last night actually.

Turned out a chicken tikka masala, cucumber raita, naan bread....threw in some hummus on the side just because I love hummus. I only got adventurous enough to make the chicken and raita from scratch. The naan bread is storebought. Ditto the hummus (3 varieties).

This is the recipe I used for the chicken tikka masala. It has a nice discussion about this dish having not been born on the Indian subcontinent, but in England. Thanks, RasaMalaysia.com!

http://rasamalaysia.com/chicken-tikka-masala-recipe/

I marinaded the little-bigger-than-bite-sized chicken pieces overnight in plain yogurt, chili powder, cumin, ginger, cinammon, pepper and salt.

Made three varieties of cucumber raita this morning and refrigerated through the afternoon. Used plain yogurt, undrained for a more liquid Indian-style, rather than a thicker Greek, Persian or Turk style (For that, drain through a cheesecloth overnight so it's more like Greek yogurt).

Separated the yougurt into three bowls...with a cup or two in each. To the yogurt I added some cumin, a tbsp lemon juice (lime in one variation), dill weed (tarragon in one variation), and peeled, seeded, thin sliced cucumber shreds. Could have grated the cucumber...didn't think of it. In one variation, I added sour cream and a tsp of vinegar for the Turk / Persian slant..

------------------------------------------------------

This afternoon I made the tomato base for the masala....minced cloves of garlic and sliced chili peppers browned in olive oil; added paprika, cumin, coriander, salt, red pepper flakes. After that all started getting thick, and the peppers softened, I added two cans of diced tomatoes. Simmered 'til the tomatoes were soft.

I began broiling the chicken pieces about 4:30. When they were done, added them to the tomato base, heated and when it began to bubble, added a can of evap milk. The recipe called for fresh cream, but our cow died. I served the mixture over rice. Again the recipe calls for bismathi rice; I used our usually on hand Korean sticky rice (which I prefer to the slick bismathi).

Brushed the naan bread with some olive oil, put in the toaster oven for a couple of minutes. Sliced a bermuda onion for garnish. This is the South, so we, of course, had sweet iced tea to drink...but it was green tea, so we were going exotic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The customers were well satisfied. Below you can see the chicken with the tomato base, the completed masala after the milk went in, the table setting with kester102 getting ready to enjoy, and a closer view of the menu items.

I can see this becoming an easy enough routine procedure to add this to my regular menu rotation. Good stuff. I usually only get to eat "indian" when I'm out on the road and happen to find a buffet for lunch.

Last edited by kester99; 05-16-2010 at 03:05 AM.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:

N8R

sweabs

That looks delicious, Kesty. You had me at naan bread . . . but really, that looks so good.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to sweabs For This Useful Post:

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by sweabs View Post
    That looks delicious, Kesty. You had me at naan bread . . . but really, that looks so good.
    I've never had any other chicken like this. Without the tomato base, it's just chicken tikka....supposed to be grilled on skewers, but I punked out and broiled it. That yogurt, cinnamon, ginger, chili powder, cumin marinade did amazing things to the flavor. Good mouth buzz.

Next time I'm just going with the chicken, I think, without the masala (sauce / gravy) bit. I can make some hot indian veggie dish for the side. I know they use potatoes....got to look into that.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

That looked and sounded amazing Kester.

I'm very happy this thread has found a new life. Keep it going!
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Made some homemade burgers tonight, ground beef, worcestshire sauce, garlic salt, onion powder, crushed red pepper, italian seasoning, ground black pepper, and lawrys seasoning salt. Basically just season to your taste, make em into patties and grill em up. Delicious.

Had people over last night for what I called "cocktails and shrimp tails."

I'm recycling some previously used images, but took a couple of different turns that I'll describe.

After a quick round of Cornhole, I got everything set up and made the first couple of rounds of Aperol Smashes:

2 parts Vodka,
    2 parts Aperol Italian bitters
    1 part simple syrup
    1 part fresh squeezed lemon juice
    Muddled mint and green grapes.
    Shake well in a cocktail shaker and serve over ice.

Now, I really regret not getting a photo of what came after that, so I'll just have to describe it.

1) Two packages of Black Forest Bacon from Whole Foods.

At $9 (plus tax) for a single pack of bacon, this is a fairly extravagant purchase, but it is so SO very worth it. I don't know what it is that makes this bacon arguably the best bacon in the world, I really don't. You'll just have to trust me. It has a great smoky flavor with a hint of sweetness. YUM!

While everyone snacked on the strips of bacon, I set aside the bacon grease in a small sauce pan. Get ready for it to come back later.

Prepare the grill. I got a cast iron hibachi style grill as a gift from a client and it is unbelievable. The maker is Lodge. I highly, highly recommend it. Once you get it going, you just feed it additional briquettes and it will maintain a perfect searing heat for hours. the grill top marks your food like nothing else, too.

Here's a picture:

And here's a link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Manufact...8861599&sr=1-4

I also use natural mesquite charcoal.

I made a marinade from:
    1/3 cup fresh italian parsley (minced)
    1/3 cup fresh mint (minced)
    1/3 cup fresh basil (minced)
    1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
    1 cup olive oil
    Whisk it all together.

I then had everyone help in making skewers. Now a lot of people make kabobs and throw everything (different meats and vegetables) on one kabob. This isn't the best way to do it, in my opinion. I separate the different items onto different squewers so that each thing can be cooked for the appropriate amount of time. There were three types of squewers last night:

Vegetable skewers:
    Red and yellow bell peppers, cut into 2"x2" chunks.
    Red onion cut into 2"x2" chunks
    Yellow squash bias cut into 3/4" slices
    Zucchini bias cut into 3/4" slices
    Everything thrown into the herb marinade and speared.
    These go on the grill first when it is really hot. You want to blacken the edges of the veggies but leave the center crisp (not soggy)

Shrimp skewers:
    Soak your shrimps in the same marinade.
    Do everyone a courtesy and take that last bit of shell off the tail. Then thread them on by going through the body and then the tail to make kind of a cent sign and line them up flat kind of like this.

I know, maybe I'm being nit-picky and giving too much information here. But when your shrimp cook nice and evenly with beautiful grill marks across the sides, you just might thank me for this tip.

Finally, Scallop skewers:

Same marinade. The problem with these buggers is that they tear easily so they aren't exactly the best thing to do kabobs with. But they really are amazing when they are crisped up on a charcoal grill, so it's worth losing a few in the fire to eat this treat.

So everything's coming off the fire and we've reached the fun part. Remember the bacon grease? When your skewers come of the grill and are zesty and herb coated and ready to go, take a spoon and drizzle some bacon grease on top of the seafood.

Last step: Eat everything before everyone else does!!!

Last edited by Los Angeles; 07-11-2010 at 11:41 AM.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Just found some photos from the last time I made a similar dish. note - this is before I figured out the "cent sign" method. Also, no scallops or bacon/bacon grease in this version either.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

N8R

Nerd.
    Mood

This thread is pure, unadulterated awesome.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:

We made berry ice cream last night, and it's been pretty good.

1 quart of heavy whipping cream ($2.00 at Sam's)
    2 cups whole milk (~$0.25)
    1 cup sugar (practically free)
    1 T good vanilla (no idea)
    1 pack of frozen mixed berries, thawed (~$2.00)

Mix the first 4 ingredients and add to the ice cream maker. Go for 20 minutes, then add the berries. 25 minutes more, then pull it and pop it in the freezer.

I can't stop eating this stuff. It's REALLY good. After much practice, we finally got the consistency right, too. Not too hard, not too soft. Just perfect.

Enjoy your time at PD!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

I just had two beers.

Should I tell Robert McDougal too?