Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Cooking and Libations Thread

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Cooking and Libations Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone got any simple and quick vegetarian recipes? I'm looking to cut down on meat consumption and I don't how, other than four nights of pasta...
    Real quick? Do you have a rice cooker? Get one. Wash the rice about four good rinses before cooking. Sift the rice in the cooker bowl with your fingers as faucet water pours over it. Dump the water slowly. When it finally runs off kind of clear, instead of milky, you're good. Otherwise you end up with a large lump of starch. The water should cover the rice about a half inch to an inch. To be more accurate, get the rice spread evenly in the cooker bowl. Put your hand flat on top of the rice. The water should come to your knuckle line. Cook. With rice cooker on hand, you have a steady supply.....so:

Bed of rice. Can of red beans or kidney beans, or black beans heated, on top of the rice. Just dump it on (with juice). Chopped onions on top. Bread and butter. We're not talking haute cuisine here. Just good and good fuel.

Fried rice. Can of oriental veggies....comes in various mixes. Throw in frying pan....add sesame oil. Not too much; it's potent. And expensive, for that matter. Buy the big can. Get the vegetables fried a bit. Pour in some soy sauce. Add rice. Stir. Taste. More oil or sauce or rice as needed. I like to crack an egg or two in, stir once or twice, not more, and cover, let it steam a bit...low heat 'til the eggs are cooked. Leftover veggies from the fridge can go in, too...corn, green beans.

Refried bean tostadas are easy to make. Does that even need explaining? If you've seen one at Taco Bell, you pretty much know instinctively how to make one. Crispy flat tortilla. Heated refried spread on top. (Low to med heat for the refrieds; stir often. The ones out of a can, eh?) Cheddar or not. Lettuce. Onion or not. Diced tomatoes. Sour cream. Nummy. The same mix in a microwaved flour tortilla makes a quick burrito.

Emeril has nothing to fear from me. But all 3 above are tasty/filling/quick.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Heat skillet with margarine or butter. Slice potato and leave the skin on. Put it in the skillet. Add seasoning salt and pepper. Brown, but don't overcook. Add onions if you want.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

That's what I just had.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Junior Member The Toxic Avenger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    Refried bean tostadas are easy to make. Does that even need explaining? If you've seen one at Taco Bell, you pretty much know instinctively how to make one. Crispy flat tortilla. Heated refried spread on top. (Low to med heat for the refrieds; stir often. The ones out of a can, eh?) Cheddar or not. Lettuce. Onion or not. Diced tomatoes. Sour cream. Nummy. The same mix in a microwaved flour tortilla makes a quick burrito.

Emeril has nothing to fear from me. But all 3 above are tasty/filling/quick.
    Very nice K9... I would also recommend using cabbage drizzled with fresh lemon juice and going with sliced and halved tomatoes. A little sour cream and a little diced green onion is a must. When it comes to flavor Cabbage with a SMALL touch of Lemon trumps Lettuce everytime. IMO.

And Since were on Mexican Food... I'll add Fried Tacos to the mix.

I don't really know what they are called elsewhere but my family has been making them for as long as I can remember. Unhealthy as all getout but wonderful. They work best when you make your own Tortillas and you can fill them while uncooked.. (but any kind with do) Take said tortilla, fill with either Refried beans, Creamy Smashed Potatos, OR a nice mexican chihuahua cheese and seal the edges leaving a pouch of flavorful goodness near the center. Think wonton or ravioli here. NOT taquito!

Fry said Pouch and garnish with above citrus cabbage, tomato slices, green onion sticks, and sour cream. A wonderful, wonderful, wonderful unhealthy vegetarian dish.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    If I had extra money one of the first things I would do is to hire a full time chef to cook healthy and very tasty meals for me. That is what I think it the most difficult thing is to find good tasting healthy meals. (Or LA if you wanted to move back to Indy, I could just hire you)

Sure I can do a turkey sandwish on whole wheat with a salad/vegatable/fruit thing as well as anyone but that gets boring
    You better get working ... I'm expensive.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Heat skillet with margarine or butter. Slice potato and leave the skin on. Put it in the skillet. Add seasoning salt and pepper. Brown, but don't overcook. Add onions if you want.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

That's what I just had.

-Bball

Does this work with Potatoes with large sprouts on them? I found some potatoes in the bottom of our pantry that I had forgotten were in there the other day. Rather large sprouts....lol

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Anyone got any simple and quick vegetarian recipes? I'm looking to cut down on meat consumption and I don't how, other than four nights of pasta...
    I've got 3-4 really good veggie chili recipes that Missi from the Star board gave me. I'll look when I get home.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    Does this work with Potatoes with large sprouts on them? I found some potatoes in the bottom of our pantry that I had forgotten were in there the other day. Rather large sprouts....lol

cut the sprouts out and let em soak in water for a while to reabsorb lost moisture. Doesn't always work, but sometimes.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

teY dennaB toN

When I was 11, I threw a potato at a neighbor's window on Halloween.

It broke.

I threw it out Geez, but I'll remember that for next time.....

On the menu tonight: Greece comes to Venice Beach.

I have a hot date tonight, so I'm pulling out all the stops.

It's a sauté of shallot, dry vermouth, oregano, roma tomatoes (no juice), sea salt, red pepper flakes, greek olive, and lots and lots of feta cheese, shrimp and scallops.

Serve with a greek salad (balsamic dressing of course) and slices of french baguette toasted with olive oil.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    When I was 11, I threw a potato at a neighbor's window on Halloween.

It broke.
    That was one strong *** window...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Too bad the recent posts were lost in this thread.

Here's what I made last night:

Seared Tuna on Mango Salsa with Grilled Yellow Squash, Avocado and Orange

Ingredients
    • 2 tablespoons good olive oil, plus extra for searing
    • 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onion (2 onions)
    • 2 teaspoons peeled, minced fresh ginger
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
    • 2 ripe mangos, peeled, seeded, and small diced
    • 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
    • 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
    • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 to 2 teaspoons minced fresh jalapeno pepper, to taste (1 pepper)
    • 2 teaspoons minced fresh mint leaves
    • 2 tuna steaks

Directions

Saute the olive oil, onions, and ginger in a large saute pan over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the mangos, reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 more minutes. Add the orange juice, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, and jalapeno; cook for 10 more minutes, until orange juice is reduced, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and add the mint. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.

Heat a saute pan over high heat for 5 minutes until very hot. Season the tuna liberally with salt and pepper. When the pan is very hot, add a drizzle of olive oil and then the tuna steaks. Sear for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until the outside is browned, but the inside is very rare.

Serve the tuna on top of the mango salsa.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

LA, I don't know if I'd ever make that but just wanted to say really appreciate the effort you put forth when you make a post about something you made! With the picture its basically like having it out of a cookbook you'd have to pay thirty dollars for.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

I made a pork roast and cooked cabbage for New Years.

I actually started this yesterday with a 3 lb pork loin, the kind they make boneless chops
    out of. I took the whole loin and made a rub from olive oil, some sea salt, fresh ground pepper, and Italian seasonings going heavy on the rosemary. I rubbed that all around the loin and put it in a gallon zip lock bag and let it marinate in the fridge overnight. Roasting is the easy part. Heat your oven to 325 degrees, place in a roasting pan, and roast for 2.5 hours. Check every 45 or so minutes and use a spoon or baster if you have one to put some liquid on top. Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature of the roast. Once it's in the 160-170 f range your done. Then you can take the lid off of your roasting pan and go for another few minutes to give it a nice crust on top if you desire.

The cabbage is easy. Get the biggest skillet you can find, melt lots of butter in it and cut up a whole head of cabbage and throw in. Stir frequently, salting and peppering to taste. When it's cooked down it's done. Some folks like a bit of sugar mixed in too but I'm not one of them.

There you have it, your completely unhealthy new years day good luck meal.
    Last edited by travmil; 01-01-2010 at 11:52 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Junior Member The Toxic Avenger's Avatar

My lady friend and I got a Panini grill for Xmas... well, its more than a panini maker its like a george foreman, a panini maker, and griddle combined and its from Cuisinart so it HAS to be good...

Anyway, we live in an apartment so this is a nice addition to our diet as it lets us grill veggies, toast some nice bread for our romantic italian dinners, and make panini's, quesadilla's etc. The things I'm looking forward to the most is just grilling chicken as before I'd always have to fry, bake, or saute it and I REALLY prefer the grill!

Anyway I made some Vegetarian Chicken Fajitas the other day using a Fake Chickn Product and it was quite wonderful.

Super easy: sliced Onions, sliced Bell pepper rings, Mushrooms (BIG Caps in strips or little ones halved), spray with light cooking oil and grill on HIGH until darker grill marks appear. I usually microwave frozen fake chicken in strips and then add onto the grill later to get grill marks. The great thing about fajitas and mexican food in general is that there are SO many flavors competing and working in harmony that its so hard to tell the difference from real meat and a veggie substitute. All that cheese, sour cream, Pico de Gallo, cilantro and spices... Mmmmmm

Homemade Refried beans would be a nice touch but I use whats in the can most of the time.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to The Toxic Avenger For This Useful Post:

I've been making a super n00b, super easy hot cider recipe all winter, takes about ten minutes, and it's a great change up warm drink when you get tired of coffee, tea, or cocoa.
    Alls ya need is,

Cider
    Cinnamon sticks
    Vanilla
    Caramel sauce

THat's it, and really the recipe is pretty much all to taste. The one thing I would advise is to add the cinnamon sticks to the cider first as it gives them a chance to really start adding the flavor. If you put them in too late, it comes out too sweet and it just isn't as good. It's ready to serve when you start to get a thin film on top, make sure you stir frequently especially after adding the caramel as it will burn if you let it sit.

You can always add rum too if that's your thing.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Two comment/questions if I may....

What the heck is with Garlic these days? Seems like every restaurat dumps it on so thick you needs a chisel to get to whatever is beneath it. It's getting so bad that I now get sick to my stomach just smelling it. Or am I nuts and you really are supposed to use enough to melt snow off the roads?

Second question, and this is a serious one....

How is Sea Salt any different from regular salt? All salt comes from dried up ocean beds. IOW....sea salt.

Mood

New years day...........

Geezer's Vegetarian Vegetable soup and rubins...........cook early and eat allllllllllllllll day long. Have a Manhatten at 5:00. (the wife opts for white wine)

Day after New Years Day..............begin diet.

btw.........why does the wife ALWAYS decide at the start of the Rose Bowl that she has been sitting around too much and needs to clean house. And somehow, she manages to get everyone involved (this seems to be a family tradition)

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Too bad the recent posts were lost in this thread.

Here's what I made last night:

Seared Tuna on Mango Salsa with Grilled Yellow Squash, Avocado and Orange

Ingredients
    • 2 tablespoons good olive oil, plus extra for searing
    • 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onion (2 onions)
    • 2 teaspoons peeled, minced fresh ginger
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
    • 2 ripe mangos, peeled, seeded, and small diced
    • 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
    • 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
    • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 to 2 teaspoons minced fresh jalapeno pepper, to taste (1 pepper)
    • 2 teaspoons minced fresh mint leaves
    • 2 tuna steaks

Directions

Saute the olive oil, onions, and ginger in a large saute pan over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the mangos, reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 more minutes. Add the orange juice, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, and jalapeno; cook for 10 more minutes, until orange juice is reduced, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and add the mint. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.

Heat a saute pan over high heat for 5 minutes until very hot. Season the tuna liberally with salt and pepper. When the pan is very hot, add a drizzle of olive oil and then the tuna steaks. Sear for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until the outside is browned, but the inside is very rare.

Serve the tuna on top of the mango salsa.

The problem here is getting fresh fish of any kind. I'd love to do this and salmon recipes but am not about to buy fish at the local grocery store.
    I once caught a nice salmon out of lake Michigan and have never been able to eat anything but FRESH salmon since.

We made a Low Country Boil last night.

1 package of Zattarain's(Spelling?) Crab Boil
    4tblspoons of Salt
    Cayenne Pepper to Taste
    4 lbs of Shrimp(I like to use the medium size)
    2 Links of smoked Sausage(2 packages)
    1 3lb bag of Red Potatoes
    12 small ears of Corn(Fresh is better, but frozen is ok)

We do this outside in our Turkey Fryer connected to a tank of
    propane.

Bring Crab Boil, Salt, and Cayenne Pepper to a rolling boil with the pot about 2/3 full of water.

Add Potatoes, boil for 10 minutes then add Corn, Boil for 5 minutes.
    Then add Sausage and boil for 5 more minutes.
    Then add Shrimp and boil for 3 minutes. Do not boil shrimp any longer than 3 minutes. It will over cook them.

Turn off Flame and let sit for 5 minutes in the water.

Our Cooker has a basket, so we have the basket in the bottom of the pot and bring the basket full of the food out fo the water to drain the water off. Then spread newspaper or wax paper out on a table or counter and dump the basket onto to table.

And enjoy. Everyone picks at it while sitting at the table.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gyron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    How is Sea Salt any different from regular salt?
    Chemically? Not much. In practice, though, it's a difference of grain size which means it hits your tongue differently. Also sea salts often have trace elements that can add a distinctive flavor.

Sea salt's relatively pricey... we've moved away from that to kosher salt. Gives you the same big grain size but for a quarter of the price.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    The problem here is getting fresh fish of any kind. I'd love to do this and salmon recipes but am not about to buy fish at the local grocery store.
    I once caught a nice salmon out of lake Michigan and have never been able to eat anything but FRESH salmon since.
    It is very true that fresh fish is the best fish. There are stories of fishermen who literally eat their catch live, it is that tasty.

BUT - we're not all fishermen.

A very cost effective and quality way to go is to buy the flash frozen fish steaks and seafood at Trader Joe's. The Yellowfin Tuna i made the other day was frozen from trader joes, and it was really good (though I would have preferred sashimi-grade Ahi).

I can personally vouch for the "colossal" sized shrimp, the scallops, the talapia and especially the halibut and swordfish. Halibut is still pretty expensive, but worth it. Swordfish I try to avoid because it has been seriously overfished.

Something happens to salmon when it is frozen - it's not nearly as good.

The other thing to do is to research and find a market that flies in the fish every day. I don't know if Indy has one, but here in LA there is a Japanese market where all of the sushi chefs go.

I fully respect that it can be out of most price ranges except for on special occasions, and it's on special occasions that I prepare it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Chemically? Not much. In practice, though, it's a difference of grain size which means it hits your tongue differently. Also sea salts often have trace elements that can add a distinctive flavor.

Sea salt's relatively pricey... we've moved away from that to kosher salt. Gives you the same big grain size but for a quarter of the price.
    There is a big taste difference to me. I can even tell different sea salts apart. the absolute best sea salt is celtic gray. It's so fresh from the sea that it's still a little bit wet. You can get it cheap at trader joes.

Also, I found this article to be pretty interesting:

Table salt, sea salt, kosher salt – what's the difference?

February 16, 2005

QUESTION: What is the difference between sea salt, kosher salt and good old sodium chloride? I always thought that NaCl was salt, period.

P.E., San Diego

ANSWER: Chemically speaking, a salt is any combination of an anion of an acid and a cation of a base. This means that not every salt has to contain sodium. Calcium carbonate, the calcium compound in foods and some dietary supplements, can also be considered a salt.

In non-scientific food discussions, however, the term salt or table salt commonly refers to sodium chloride, the familiar white granular seasoning.

Sea salt comes from evaporated seawater. The mineral content of sea salt is not limited to the sodium and chloride that make up the traditional salt molecule. Additional minerals can give the salt subtle flavor characteristics that can enhance foods.

I was initially skeptical that sea salt had special qualities, but I changed my mind when I did a blind tasting of salts while in Italy. The experience was enough to induce me to keep some sea salt on my shelf for cooking.

Depending on the brand, table salt can contains a small amount of an additive to prevent caking and encourage a smooth flow. This is often silicon dioxide, the primary ingredient of sand. It is not absorbed and has GRAS (generally regarded as safe) status as an additive. If the table salt is iodized, a source of iodine also will be added.

Kosher salt is pure sodium chloride, usually without any additives, and it often comes in coarse crystals. It is not necessarily a kosher product, but it can be certified as kosher for Passover use. The real connection is that kosher salt has been used in the process by which foods are made kosher. It is no better or worse than any other form of table salt. I hope this helps clear up the differences.

Salt has played an integral yet largely unappreciated role in history. Those interested in learning more can read "Salt: A World History" by Mark Kurlansky (Penguin).
    http://legacy.signonsandiego.com/uni...1f16focus.html

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    There is a big taste difference to me.
    Between sea salt and kosher, or between sea salt and table?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Between sea salt and kosher, or between sea salt and table?
    All three. Both kosher and table salt leave a dry burn on the tip and sides of the tongue. Sea salt involves the entire palate and the additional minerals pop right out to me.

I can also taste the difference between different sea salts, and my favorite (head and shoulders above) is Celtic Gray.

I wonder sometimes if it's because I actually spend time in the ocean that I can really taste the difference. There's something unmistakable about the way each kind of ocean water from different places on earth tastes to me. put a cup of sea water from california, hawaii and florida in front of me and I'll be able to name them on smell and taste.