Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Cooking and Libations Thread

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default The Cooking and Libations Thread

I'm inspired by the restaurant review thread here. Because, well, last night I had a fantastic meal ... at my house.

So maybe some of you like to cook or want to learn how to cook. I'm a recent convert. In my former life, working full-time at a law firm, I worked 60 hours a week (minimum) and ate out all the time, I'm talking every day. After only a few short years, I packed on 40 pounds, and eventually freaked out from the stress. I soon wised up, quit my job (and the money that came with it), moved to California with my ex and went freelance.

Here, I was faced with what became a life-altering situation. The restaurants were WAY too expensive (especially on a less-than-steady income). But within walking distance of my house, 4 days a week, there are farmer's markets that feature some of the most exotic produce I've ever seen. (little yellow tomatoes shaped like pears, herbs I had never even heard of, fruits that look like sea creatures).

And there was all this cookware in the kitchen ...

"**** it," I told myself with a quiver of fear in my voice, "how hard can it be?"

Well, turns out it's not that hard. What I did not understand before starting out was that a cooking recipe is merely a guideline. It's the preliminary sketch before you paint the painting. As long as you stick with some general do's and dont's you really can't go wrong.

Contrast that with baking cakes and pies and other bread-based goodies: baking is an exact science. One slight deviation, one change in a single variable can dramatically alter the end product. Baking is for the scientists, the "follow the rules" types. It's for the people that aced chemistry in High School, not the artists among us.

Anyway, I've spent the last couple of years figuring out my way around the kitchen. Not too often, mind you, just a couple of nights a week. If you've read this far, you might still be wondering what the hell I had last night to inspire a new thread.

Here's the list, followed by one recipe:

FOR STARTERS:

The World's Greatest Guacamole (my own recipe, to follow in a later post) This stuff makes angels sing and women throw their braziers at you.

ON THE CHARCOAL GRILL:

- 44 ounce London broil prepared with a more than ample coating of rock sea salt and fresh ground white pepper corns, cook 6 minutes a side, remove and rest for 5 minutes, slice on the bias. Feeds 4.
    - Summer squash halved into two disks, coat the cut side with olive oil, sprinkle dried basil, dried mint and red pepper flakes, place on the edge of the grill face down and lightly brown, turn half way to cook evenly (turn, don't flip).
    - Red corn on the cob, turn regularly. being from Indiana means that I'm a corn snob. You just can't get good Indiana sweet corn here, so I've come to appreciate the more exotic red variety.

IN THE GLASS:

- Don Julio Anejo Tequila - on the rocks with a squeeze of fresh tangerine. This was unbelievably good, and a perfect compliment to the southwest grill thing we had going on.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Cooking and Libations Thread

My go to meal has always been dolphin on the grill. No not that kind of dolphin, think mahi mahi, not Flipper. It's so simple to make an absolutely outstanding meal with it.

1. spray a sheet of aluminum foil with cooking spray
    2. lay your filet skin side down on the foil
    3. cut a lemon in half, squeeze the juice from one half over the filet, cut the other half into rounds and set aside
    4. sprinkle some sea salt, a tiny amount of fresh ground black pepper, and some fresh dill over the filet to taste
    5. place a small pat of butter on the filet (real stuff, I'll strangle you through the internet if you substitute margarine)
    6. put your lemon rounds, peel and all on top of the filet
    7. This is optional, but I also like to place 4 or 5 asparagus spears on top of the lemon rounds, make sure you peel the spears at the bottom
    8. fold the edges of the foil over and crimp them in the middle so it seals it up.
    9. cook on the grill approximately 10 minutes, the fish should flake when gently pushed with a fork

When you take it off the grill, throw out the lemon rounds, and eat everything else. The asparagus takes on a bit of the citrus flavor and pairs very well with any kind of fish. The fish will peel right off of the skin. You shouldn't need sauce but we did put together a dill sauce once that was excellent with it. We usually have a salad to start this meal off and then eat the fish. You can also do this in the oven but you have to increase your cooking time.

Ah yes, mild white fish, lemon, butter, herbs and asparagus. Try it next time with strips of zuchini and yellow squash - or even strips of red and yellow pepper. Fantastic meal! The only way to mess that up is to seriously overcook it - but that's almost impossible - there's a huge window.

Plus, you'll fill up and lose weight at the same time. Great food for healthy living.

Those that can't do the butter due to cholesterol concerns can sub with olive oil. I agree - never use margarine! Never ever! I mean it!
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

teY dennaB toN

Fruity Pebbles a la Mode:

You will need 1 box of Fruity Pebbles brand cereal (no generics allowed), a couple of cups of 2% milk, a large bowl, and a spoon.

1. Open box of cereal and pour a considerable amount into a large bowl.

2. Add 2% milk until the Pebbles nearly overfill your bowl. You are not allowed to substitute skim milk which sucks, or whole milk which has the consistency of Elmer's glue.

3. Grab a spoon and enjoy! It's ok and recommended to drink the last portion of your serving directly from the bowl.

I submit this recipe as I can't cook worth a chit.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 08-11-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Mood

I do enjoy a good bowl of Fruity Pebbles.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

i do love to cook...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love cooking, it's very relaxing. After sitting down all day it's nice to actually do something with your hands, you know, create something.

Unfortunately because my job is too far from my house to go home for a lunchbreak and there isn't even a microwave where I work to heat stuff up I make the night before, I am forced to eat out alot. Eating out is nice but it does fatten you up I believe.

This is all compounded by the fact that I live in a small apartment thus I must rely pretty heavily on a microwave and the George Foreman. But I will definately keep looking at these recipes, this thread is awesome. I love Farmer's Markets as well, there is one probably half a mile from my house and I use it to pick things up and also as some exercise.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I do enjoy a good bowl of Fruity Pebbles.
    Yeah, unfortunately I burn mine every time.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    i do love to cook...

Looks like a meat and tomato sauce of some kind ...

What did you make?

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Looks like a meat and tomato sauce of some kind ...

What did you make?
    its my so-called "specialty"...its chicken-mushoom saute...atleast that is what i call it

mixture of boneless chicken, paprika, tomato, mushroom with cumin, red pepper, basil and oregano...depending on the side dish...the thickness of the sauce varies

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    the thickness of the sauce varies
    :thatswhatshesaid:

Looks good though...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Gimme a black iron skillet, some flour (or sometimes corn meal), some milk, salt and pepper, Crisco, and butter and I'll teach y'all how to cook like a Hoosier from southern Indiana.

The above works for fish, chickin, squirrel, or rabbit. What more do ya need? Oh yeah. What we used to call squirrel gravy (milk gravy made with meat "drippins"), Mashed potatos, greenbeans, and unsweetened iced tea. Homemade strawberrie shortcake and ice cream for dessert.

BTW..........I'm serious.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ya know what Geezer you might be the only person on the planet that I MIGHT agree to try that meal from with squirrel as the main course.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I've eaten squirrel, wild rabbit, antelope, venison, wild boar, wild turkey, caribou, ostrich, chocolate covered bee (yes, the insect), rattlesnake, bullfrog, hell, you shoot it and fry it up and and I'll try it at least once.

I was out with a friend west of Bloomington and we creamed a deer with his old Crown Victoria. Next thing you know, a old couple with three teeth between them came down a dirt road and only had one thing to ask: "You-uns aren't for sure gonna take it, are yuh?"

I looked to my friend: "You killed it, so I guess it's yours."

He looked to the couple: "Help yourselves."

Made their week for sure.
    Last edited by Los Angeles; 08-11-2008 at 10:46 PM.

This is a cool thread. I'm a total newb to cooking, so I'll just kind of observe.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Don't worry, soup, we've got you covered.

Before I get to my guacamole recipe, let's start with three essential know-how-to-use-a-knife tutorials.
    1) How to chop an onion:
    http://startcooking.com/blog/64/How-...nd-Chop-Onions
    2) How to chop a pepper (ANY pepper, not just bell peppers):
    http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/how...egetables4.htm
    3) How to cut an avocado:
    http://www.elise.com/recipes/archive...an_avocado.php

The World's Greatest Guacamole

1 bag - blue corn chips
    4 just-ripe avocados
    1 handfull of mini heirloom tomatoes, chopped.
    1/2 medium white onion, chopped
    1 fresh, large jalapeno pepper, chopped (only include the seeds if you like it REALLY spicy, otherwise remove the seeds before chopping the outer portion)
    1/2 cup fresh cilantro (MUST be fresh), chopped
    Rock sea salt to taste
    Fresh ground black pepper to taste
    1 tablespoon Chipotle flavored tobasco sauce.
    And this is the absolute KEY ingredient: fresh squezzed citrus (about the juice of one orange or so) - NOT lime or store bought lemon.

OK, that last one is variable, but essential to turning this from decent guacamole to AMAZING. Probably the best thing to use is tree-ripened fresh-picked lemon, which has an orange-like sweetness and very little of the bitterness you taste with the hard "picked green" lemons you buy at the supermarket. There are several trees in my neighborhood, so that's not that hard for me to get. If you're at the store, however, you need to work with what's in the produce section. I recommend tangerines, tangelos, a fancy orange like valencia oranges, or cumquats. Yes, that's a funny name until you taste one and are instantly transported to paradise.

Steps:

1) chop the tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, and fresh cilantro and throw together into a large bowl.
    2) thinly slice/chop the avocado in the skin and scoop the chunks into the bowl - DO NOT mush the avocado into a paste the way they do elsewhere, keep it sized at about 1/4" chunks.
    3) add the salt, black pepper, chipotle sauce
    4) cut your chosen citrus in half and squeeze the juice out directly into the bowl (look out for seeds)
    5) Stir well without bruising it too badly.
    6) Eat!
    Last edited by Los Angeles; 08-12-2008 at 12:05 AM.

Anyone got any simple and quick vegetarian recipes? I'm looking to cut down on meat consumption and I don't how, other than four nights of pasta...

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Anyone got any simple and quick vegetarian recipes? I'm looking to cut down on meat consumption and I don't how, other than four nights of pasta...
    My ex is vegetarian and I would cook for her all the time.

I'll hook you up with some ideas over the next few days.

But for starters, stop eating the pasta or you're going to put on wieght faster than Sally Struthers after All in the Family.

At the very least, replace most of the pasta with french fry cut zucchini and squash. Just rub a little olive oil on them and toast them lightly in the broiler. Use the same sauce and cheese that you would use with pasta and you won't miss a beat. Same meal, better nutrition, fewer empty calories.

Don't worry about my weight, it's never been a problem. Wrestled all four years of high school, never missed a weigh-in. Still only about 150, but that's with a lot of exercise - hell, I could use a couple pounds. I look forward to the good stuff you got in the next couple days though, thanks. (I'm not really eating pasta four days a week, it's just that I don't know what else to make yet)

First of all, buy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Coo...78/ref=ed_oe_h

It's food like your grandma would make if she were getting paid to make food, and it's all vegetarian. Almost everything I make for thanksgiving comes from there. and at $30, it's a bargain!

I am no chef due to laziness, but cooking has always intrigued me. I downloaded a bunch of recipes but I have yet to make any. Mostly due to the not wanting to spend a lot of money on all the ingredients.

My go to meal is Mac and Cheese with Hot dogs or a Peanut Butter and honey sandwich.

Mood

Hard to go wrong with a rattatouille. I have no recipe, I just throw in what I feel like throwing in. To serve one person I'd say something like this:

4 tomatoes, chopped with the stems removed
    1 medium squash, halved and sliced, ends and stems removed
    1 medium zuchini, halved and sliced, ends and stems removed
    1 small eggplant

combine in a pot with desired quantities of dried oregano, basil, tyme, (basically italian seasoning if you have that around), some minced garlic, freshly ground pepper.

Cover, simmer, and stir occasionally until the tomato cooks down and cooks the veggies in the tomato juice. Usually takes 25-30 minutes. You'll have to experiment with your own mix of spices. When it's done, top it with some parmesan cheese and enjoy.

If I had extra money one of the first things I would do is to hire a full time chef to cook healthy and very tasty meals for me. That is what I think it the most difficult thing is to find good tasting healthy meals. (Or LA if you wanted to move back to Indy, I could just hire you)

Sure I can do a turkey sandwish on whole wheat with a salad/vegatable/fruit thing as well as anyone but that gets boring

Junior Member The Toxic Avenger's Avatar

My Vegetarian Gal-Friend simply, for the most part, replaced chicken and beef with Portabello Mushrooms.

Fajitas? Use Portabellos...
    Pasta add-ins? Portabellos...
    Pizza Toppings? yup...

Granted she loves them so much she could just eat one as a "Steak" if I cook it on the grill with a little butter, garlic, salt and pepper but I digress... Fungus is not for everyone.

Grilled Veggies are nice all around... Yellow Squash, Zuchinni, Eggplant, Asparagus, Onions, and Peppers.

For the most part, I'd avoid most "Meat Substitutes" like Boca Bugers, Chikken, and the like. Although... there ARE a few good ones when used sparingly. (they are too expensive and they are not that good)

Black Bean Burgers, homemade or storebought, are a nice twist and sometimes even I get an urge for them. Tofu is nice in small amounts (Think hot and sour soup). I'm sure that you will hear alot about replacing your protein/stick to your ribs factor... for that most use beans, nuts, potatos, and mushrooms. When I eat Veggie I usually eat Pasta, Fajitas (Any and All mexican food really) , Pizza, and other types of unhealthy food so I dont' get the benefit. I mean they make Veggie Baked Beans, I can make my own Stuffing/Dressing, Mashed Potatos, rolls, Deviled Eggs (Depending on your Level of Veggie). I can eat like its like Easter every day! BUT...

To be fair I could never give up the sweet, sweet taste of Bacon, Ham, Sausage, or BBQ. I wont even pretend.

Mood

I forgot one of the most important parts of my ratatouille meal from above. You're supposed to serve it over a bed of cooked rice, but that's optional and it tastes great either way.