Thread: How Do You Prep for 2010 FA's, Yet Court a Team for 2009?

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default How Do You Prep for 2010 FA's, Yet Court a Team for 2009?

I have been hearing, reading, & listening for months now on how 1/2 the league (or more) is clearing space, tweaking rosters, watching signings, & over-hauling their rosters to clear cap space so that they can all make a run at the 5-10 "big guns" that will be "available" in the 2010 signing period, but something that is bothering me.....

How will teams who have contracts that expire THIS YEAR manage their cap space & still keep key players & court a competative team in 2009?

Let me use the Miami Heat as exibit A:
    S.Marion, Miami's "big expiring" that is the key piece to help them clear room for 2010 is a FA after THIS YR. There is still 1 more yr after this to play before the 2010 signing period. That means they will have to:
    1) Pay him to keep him beyond t/y - something that will only eat up cap $, or...
    2) Trade him t/y - meaning they will take in contracts, & not many (if any) teams are going to offer contracts that expire after n/y for him, meaning they again take on $, or...
    3) Sign him to a max 1 yr deal - something he will not do, as he will want the $ & security of a long tern deal, or...
    4) Let him walk for nothing, something will not do, nor do I think you can afford to do.
    So,....
    How do you see them filling their roster for '09 season?

What deal do you see where they do not add some salery (beyond draft choices - something they could always trade away) between now & then? The way I see it, players that expire after THIS YR only further complicate a teams efforts to clear room for 2010, not help it! Players like M.Daniels from our Pacers who has a Team Option for '09 is something that would seem to be far more desireable then a contract that ends after t/y. Am I wrong in thinking this? How do they expect to spend $0 on contracts between now $ then & still field a team in '09?

IMO, their best approach ("They", meaning teams needing to keep a big '10 FA's or one wanting to have a core that a big FA's would want to join) is to build up their team NEXT YR, & not wait til 2010. In the example above, If MIA waits til the 2010 off-season to start signing & building a team, Wade is out of there, & they (MIA) will be left w/ Nothing! This would mean players like Rosho/Foster/Daniels/Jack should hold great value to teams MIA. This is also why I do not get the arguments about the 2010 MONEY Tinsley is owed over Banks, & why the TALENT of Tinsley over Banks is so easily dismissed by MIA fans.
    Am I wrong here? Can someone enlighten me further?
    Last edited by PacerGuy; 08-10-2008 at 10:53 PM.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Default Re: How Do You Prep for 2010 FA's, Yet Court a Team for 2009?

I think Miami has already shown it's willingness to entirely throw a season away. I see no reason why they won't let what amounts to a NBDL team take the court 2009 and just not spend money on any decent players for that year, again.

I don't see how they are going to fill out the roster for 2011. They'll have to release their cap holds to get enough space, and then they can't resign anyone and have no cap space left.

This is not a knock on your post, but, I think "2010 capspace" should be added to the profanity filter on every basketball website.

Sports Logo

I'm gonna guess that the Heat will try to work out a S&T while trying to package him with Banks for some prospect and expiring Contracts that expire no later then after the 2009 season.

Regarding this 2010 season....outside of Wade, Lebron and Bosh....what other FAs are coming out that season?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

There's always the possibility that they don't opt out and 2011 cap space is king...

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm gonna guess that the Heat will try to work out a S&T while trying to package him with Banks for some prospect and expiring Contracts that expire no later then after the 2009 season.

Regarding this 2010 season....outside of Wade, Lebron and Bosh....what other FAs are coming out that season?
    I am sure MIA wants to trade Marion & Banks for '09 & '10 expirings, but again as stated, who do you see giving up those expirings for SM? I do not see it.

Other names out there: Kobe, Nash, Boozer ('09 p/o), JO, (& Early Term options for): Pierce, Nowitzki, Ming, A.Stouremire, Redd, Jefferson, (& rookie deals up like): Roy Aldridge, Foye
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    I am sure MIA wants to trade Marion & Banks for '09 & '10 expirings, but again as stated, who do you see giving up those expirings for SM? I do not see it.

Other names out there: Kobe, Nash, Boozer ('09 p/o), JO, (& Early Term options for): Pierce, Nowitzki, Ming, A.Stouremire, Redd, Jefferson, (& rookie deals up like): Roy Aldridge, Foye
    Wow....NM.......the 2010-2011 FA market does look pretty good.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Wow....NM.......the 2010-2011 FA market does look pretty good.
    What's everyone's opinion on Boozer. He has a player option next year, so could actually be available to the Pacers when Rasho, Daniels, Williams, Foster and Baston expire or their team options are not picked up. He averages 16 and 12 and would be 28 years old. The bad thing is that if he opts out of his 12.6 mil. contract, he'll be wanting even more.
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Miami may make a move for Boozer, but you have to question how much sense that makes after drafting Beasley.

The only realistic way we could get Boozer, IMO, is through a trade this year, or S&T next summer. We won't have enough cap space for what I'd expect him to command as a starting salary. However, I'm not even sure trades are an option, given what limited trading assets we actually have.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Miami may make a move for Boozer, but you have to question how much sense that makes after drafting Beasley.

The only realistic way we could get Boozer, IMO, is through a trade this year, or S&T next summer. We won't have enough cap space for what I'd expect him to command as a starting salary. However, I'm not even sure trades are an option, given what limited trading assets we actually have.
    I'm guessing that Boozer would command something between $12-14 mil a year for 4-5 seasons.....he's not as good as Brand....but could command something inbetween what the young players like Biedrins/Ellis/Deng got and a very solid PF like Brand.

Regardless....I doubt that we could afford him.

I'm guessing that Boozer would command something between $12-14 mil a year for 4-5 seasons.....he's not as good as Brand....but could command something inbetween what the young players like Biedrins/Ellis/Deng got and a very solid PF like Brand.

Regardless....I doubt that we could afford him.
    Boozer is better than Brand.