Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Olympic Basketball Thread

Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't say Spain played near flawless. It looked that way because they got a lot of second chance points after we got pushed around near the basket.
    The weren't too far from flawless. They handled the pressure, made the US pay when the US gambled defensively, rebounded well, and shot well.

We were outrebounded inside, which is why I'm looking forward to seeing the development of Oden. His game is tailor made for international ball. Great defender, mobile, quick, shoots a high% from mid range, rebounds well and a good free throw shooter. The weakness of this team was always in the post, but it's not the fault of the selection process. There just isn't a good selection of post players right now. I mean, recently you had Shaq, ten years ago you had Ewing/Robinson/Olajuwon. This is as weak as it's been since about 84, when you had the decline of Jabbar and Malone and the new guys hadn't come up yet. I think the deficiency at center is temporary.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kobe's done his part for king and country, I think should stand aside and let the next generation take the reigns.

I'd invite Bosh, Paul, Howard, James, Anthony and Wade back, and let next season decide the other 6 spots.

Durant and Oden would both translate very well to the international game.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-24-2008 at 04:45 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

BKK, as much as I love you, choosing Sarunas as 1st team is psychotic. CP3 FTW, young sir. I'll buy Pau as 1st string center. Other than that, substitute your favorite US player.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoPacer View Post
    The weren't too far from flawless. They handled the pressure, made the US pay when the US gambled defensively, rebounded well, and shot well.

We were outrebounded inside, which is why I'm looking forward to seeing the development of Oden. His game is tailor made for international ball. Great defender, mobile, quick, shoots a high% from mid range, rebounds well and a good free throw shooter. The weakness of this team was always in the post, but it's not the fault of the selection process. There just isn't a good selection of post players right now. I mean, recently you had Shaq, ten years ago you had Ewing/Robinson/Olajuwon. This is as weak as it's been since about 84, when you had the decline of Jabbar and Malone and the new guys hadn't come up yet. I think the deficiency at center is temporary.
    I've said it before but the fact that Mike never played both Bosh and Dwight together realy surprised me. It was too late to try it in the finals game but I'm sure we would have been much better inside with both of them. In the end playing with only one post player has paid good dividends so we won't complain

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Wonder how many of the 2008 team will be back in 2010?
    Redd and Kidd won't be back. Other than that, I think it will be a case of player desire, pieces fitting together, and new guys raising their game like an Oden or Amare.

Say what you want about Kidd, but he finishes his international career undefeated over 12 years. 58-0.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-24-2008 at 04:48 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    BKK, as much as I love you, choosing Sarunas as 1st team is psychotic. CP3 FTW, young sir. I'll buy Pau as 1st string center. Other than that, substitute your favorite US player.

you...you...you love me?? damn I'm gonna change my mood to horny RIGHT NOW

Saras had great olympics on the whole, CP3 was great too but I was not impressed by his game compared to his nba standards... I was probaby expecting something more from him but hey, playing J Kidd as the first string was crazy and probably didn't serve him well

Mood

Redd was there?

I'd like to see Granger there, based on totally proven dominance at his position for the next two years.

That's what I'd like.

It's a...brotherly love kind of deal, there, BKK. Although, I do not condemn your european lifestyle.
    Last edited by kester99; 08-24-2008 at 04:49 AM.

Say what you want about Kidd, but he finishes his international career undefeated over 12 years. 58-0.
    Hey, I like the guy. I just don't think he'll be playing NBA ball in 2 years, much less international ball.

Mood

Anyway, this was fun...gotta go out in the driveway and drink some cabernet before I sleep.

Cheers. USA!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Spain played great tonight. Like they were going to be killed if they lost. So glad we have the Gold back, they can still say what they want but who has the gold???

Argentina is a team I can appreciate. They don't take anything for granted, and they enjoyed their gold medal with dignity and pride.

Spain played the game of their lives and still came up 11 points short.

Also, I'd like to see what Boris has to say after continually voicing his opinion on how terrible of an international player Kobe is. He carried this team today. Also, I'd bet big money that Spain wouldn't shoot like they did if we played them again. Some of the shots they threw up were ridiculous. I can't wait until the next Olympics.

As of now, this is who I think should be looked at:

PG- Paul/D.Williams/D. Rose
    SG- Wade/B. Roy
    SF-Lebron/Durant
    PF- Carmelo/Beasley
    C- Oden/Bosh/Howard

If the shoe fits...

I lost all respect for the spanish team the second they arrived in beijing and I absolutely take pleasure in watching them lose.

I didn't really care if they got humiliated tonight. The US did that to them the first time around. But I absolutely wanted them to get the loss they deserved, and they got it.
    No it doesn't, somewhere a guy put a thumbs up and the middle east got offended.
    Last edited by Chewy; 08-24-2008 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post
    Spain played the game of their lives and still came up 11 points short.

Also, I'd like to see what Boris has to say after continually voicing his opinion on how terrible of an international player Kobe is. He carried this team today. Also, I'd bet big money that Spain wouldn't shoot like they did if we played them again. Some of the shots they threw up were ridiculous. I can't wait until the next Olympics.

As of now, this is who I think should be looked at:

PG- Paul/D.Williams/D. Rose
    SG- Wade/B. Roy
    SF-Lebron/Durant
    PF- Carmelo/Beasley
    C- Oden/Bosh/Howard
    Well, I don't think anybody wouldn't really question a lot of Kobe Bryant's decision-making. He provided a lot of exemplary leadership with his effort on the defensive end (even if it did come with a lot of errors, esp. head-turning, poor off-ball positioning, etc.) but his decision-making with the ball is just really, really weak. Why on a team like this he felt compelled to dominate the offense so much is truly beyond me, but whatever.

Congratulations to the US team, they had a great tournament and deserved the gold medal. The desire and work ethic of that team's players overcame a lot of issues they had, and they should be very proud of their accomplishments. They didn't dominate in the end, but they still won - it just goes to show that the rest of the world isn't as uncompetitive as some would have us believe, and that the US will always need to keep improving their program to keep on top of the world.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

[QUOTE=BorisD it just goes to show that the rest of the world isn't as uncompetitive as some would have us believe, and that the US will always need to keep improving their program to keep on top of the world.[/QUOTE]

No the world sucks, Spain played a great game and still lost by double digits. US beat Greece by 23, Argentina by 20 they are top 5 teams in the world. Once close game does not change all that. I'm willing to bet there were less than 5 lead changes in such a close tight game. None in the second half.

Next stop June 2015

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoPacer View Post

I think this team will be significantly better in 4 years with a little more size. Oden will be absolutely dominant defensively and allow the other guys to focus more on perimeter defense. Let's just say that Chris Bosh's defense appeared good for the PnR, but that's mainly because the team practiced defending it. Bosh is one reason Scola could manhandle 28 points and the Gasol brothers combined for more than 30. We were soft in the middle. Oden is quite mobile and will be able to do similar things on defense, but will do it much better and with much, much more force. The guy will have 4 years in the NBA and be an absolute monster by that time. Combine that with Durant and it's not even going to be this close. Durant cannot be defended even by NBA athletes and will score at will. He has much more length than any player on the current USA team. Oh, and Lebron will be in his prime better than ever. Team USA will be significantly better overall and it will not even be this close.

Strategy it wasn't, but toy with them they did, and Spain remains obviously inferior.

Spain can play a near-flawless offensive game and still lose to us by double figures. They can chew on that for the next 2 years when they're planning their next racially offensive theme.
    I just don't get the uber-jingoistic "we're number 1" attitude here. Spain played really well and we got our most competitive game of the Olympics. And they didn't have Calderon either. Spain played well and could have won. The better team won though because the U.S. played better...no surprise. But to just blindly dismiss the great effort by the other team is weird, arrogant and the reason why so many people dislike Americans worldwide. I don't get it.
    Last edited by rexnom; 08-24-2008 at 08:55 AM.

In Argentina's defense they played without Ginobili who so far had a great tournament and with a one-leggeg Noccioni. But the real pb with this team was its very thin bench and the transition process they're going through with very little youth to carry the torch after vets like Herman or Pepe left.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I think this team will be significantly better in 4 years with a little more size. Oden will be absolutely dominant defensively and allow the other guys to focus more on perimeter defense. Let's just say that Chris Bosh's defense appeared good for the PnR, but that's mainly because the team practiced defending it. Bosh is one reason Scola could manhandle 28 points and the Gasol brothers combined for more than 30. We were soft in the middle. Oden is quite mobile and will be able to do similar things on defense, but will do it much better and with much, much more force. The guy will have 4 years in the NBA and be an absolute monster by that time. Combine that with Durant and it's not even going to be this close. Durant cannot be defended even by NBA athletes and will score at will. He has much more length than any player on the current USA team. Oh, and Lebron will be in his prime better than ever. Team USA will be significantly better overall and it will not even be this close.
    Could be.

Could be in 2012 Rubio won't be 17, Fernandez will be an NBA star, Calderon will actually play and the Gasol brothers will still be playing. And I have no idea who's on their junior team.

That's OK - we've known for 6 years we can't dominate just by showing up. Of course USA basketball didn't figure that out until 2004.

What I'm happiest about is how the team represented the US. Whatever medal we won, we didn't need a team that acted like a bunch of spoiled punks like the 2004 team did.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    Whatever medal we won, we didn't need a team that acted like a bunch of spoiled punks like the 2008 Spanish team team did.
    Fixed.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I wonder why the rest of the world thinks Americans are arrogant? Folks we handled the pressure well this Olympics, but that does not entitle us to berate and belittle other teams. Some of you sound like fanboys. We have to continue to work, because the level of competition is growing. Basketball is growing world wide, while they only sport that is growing is football.

I believe the reason why we lost from 2000 till now is because the sense of entitlement. We are 2008 Olympic gold medalists, not 2012 or 2016. We have to work as hard if not harder to earn those accolades.

I like how Oden, who has yet to play a game in the NBA, is a shoe in to start for our next Olympic team. You guys drink a lot of kool-aid.

Anyway, congratulation to team USA for their hard earned gold.

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo news
    The Olympic Games were gold or bust for Team USA basketball, and they nearly blew it.
    "Nearly blew it?" What nonsense. I still just don't get why every time the Us doesn't win by 40 it becomes about them and how they failed, rather than the fact that they had a pretty good opponent.

Hope Oden comes back strong. Rudy Fernandez showed he can ball against the NBA's best right now - Fernandez Aldridge Oden Roy godamn what a team.

Next stop June 2015

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    I wonder why the rest of the world thinks Americans are arrogant? Folks we handled the pressure well this Olympics, but that does not entitle us to berate and belittle other teams. Some of you sound like fanboys. We have to continue to work, because the level of competition is growing. Basketball is growing world wide, while they only sport that is growing is football.

I believe the reason why we lost from 2000 till now is because the sense of entitlement. We are 2008 Olympic gold medalists, not 2012 or 2016. We have to work as hard if not harder to earn those accolades.
    I understand this sentiment. It is the majority view these days. Certainly we lost previously due to overconfidence and a sense of entitlement. It's now obvious that preparation, teamwork and focus are prerequisites for the US to win these days. However, those factors are not the only reason the US won and not at all why they blew teams out.

While many people focus on the now obvious fact that quickness and athleticism does not automatically lead to success in international competition, most people seem to dismiss it as a small factor or dismiss it altogether. Interestingly, opponents who experience the thrashing first-hand seem quick to acknowledge these as significant factors...even if it's not in vogue to do so.

IMO, team USA would lose big time if they did not have superior quickness and athleticism. As a team, they are not the best group of shooters, they do not have great size and they are not exceptionally better at moving the ball...yet most games were blow-outs and they never won by less than double digits. Now, why is that?

Some might say it's talent, baby. Well, IMO it is their overall quickness and athleticism...an advantage that is not going away anytime soon.
    They compete because they prepared properly and finally put together a real team. But they win by large margins because they are quicker and more athletic.