Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic Basketball Thread

Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Australia is the worst opponent we could have faced in a quarterfinal. They gave us trouble when we played them two weeks ago. I would not expect a rout because even our players will be a little tight in a "win or go home" situation. Australia has nothing to lose, has Bogut back and has a point guard who gave our points some fits in that earlier game. My worst fear is the US taking them lightly.
    Whoops.

I'm sorry if this was posted before- but does anyone here know a little about Schortsianitis from the Greek team? That guy's a monster! If he wasn't so lazy he could've been a really good player. Does anybody know how he's doing nowadays? Last time I saw him he was playing for Olympiacos.

76-75 with 1:30 to go, Argentina is leading by just one.

Also, I thought Manu wasn't playing this Olympics?

US/Argentina in the quarters. That will be a hell of a game.

Great game between Greece and Argentina just now. Dude missed a game winning three with just a few ticks left. I thought that ball was in, too.

Oh, and Nocioni hurt his knee in this game, too, so if he can't go that will be a break.
    Last edited by Pacers; 08-20-2008 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers View Post
    Whoops.
    Hey, I wouldn't count him out... that might be as close as anyone gets the rest of the way.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Hey, I wouldn't count him out... that might be as close as anyone gets the rest of the way.
    If we play Spain I think it'll be closer. Not really close but there are things they can do which would give them a shot at being competitive.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    If we play Spain I think it'll be closer. Not really close but there are things they can do which would give them a shot at being competitive.
    they could be too sexy

(EDIT: how do they not have a video of that anywhere on the interwebs??)
    This is the darkest timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers View Post
    Whoops.
    I second that.

I still think any medal round, win or go home game would make any team play a little tight. I am the eternal pessimist and international teams have scared me the last few Olympics, World Championships. So, till Team USA wins the tournament, I can't get myself to go out and predict the gold medal for the U.S.

We have not played Argentina which is a savvy bunch and has experience playing the US. Also, at any level as the stakes grow higher, all teams get nervous and tight especially with the record the last few years.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala View Post
    We have not played Argentina which is a savvy bunch and has experience playing the US. Also, at any level as the stakes grow higher, all teams get nervous and tight especially with the record the last few years.
    Having a lot of experience against the US hurts Argentina a lot more than it helps them. The only element teams have over the US is unpredictability, and Argentina has less than anybody else.

The US has dismantled Argentina in every game since they lost to them in 2004.

Speaking of that 2004 loss, this game will be very fresh in the minds of LeBron, Wade, Boozer and Carmelo, all of whom were on that team.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-20-2008 at 10:23 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post

The US has dismantled Argentina in every game since they lost to them in 2004.
    One of those two games was against an Argentina team that did not have Ginobli, Oberto, Nocioni and Herrman. But, I will give you the fact that the U.S team was not as strong as this 2008 team and did not have nearly as much focus as this team.

This team plays with such purpose, and now I've seen Kobe and LeBron look like they do in the NBA (dominant) as well. I think we will crush them. If crush means winning by at least 15 points.

Even if I'm wrong, I'm certain we will win the game.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have no words...

Thats the new Lip Charge. Totally Legal in the Bejing Olympics.

That's just good-*** sportsmanship.

The love is all around... in Pekin olympic games
    Actually were were two way to defeat China team:
    1. To eliminate Jao and let the remaining team play.
    2. To eliminate other players and let Jao play.
    Lith. choose the 1 option by:
    * physically (see the pic) guarding Jao with 2 rotating centers not allowing to score from the game;
    * playing good guard defenders more to use pressing against oponent guards to prevent making easy inbound passes.

The moral of the story is that 2-man teams like China and Germany are not good enough to proceed. Star-centrical teams are doomed. And the USA is unbeatable (so far) because it isn't realying on 1, 2 or 3 superstars and plays like a real team.
    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

The only element teams have over the US is unpredictability, and Argentina has less than anybody else.
    That's such nationalistic crap. When we lost to them, they had size, strength, desire, and pick and rolls on us, plus the ballsiest player on the court. I hate this attitude that any American loss must be blamed on some set of bizarre circumstances involving the alignment of the moons, crafty European coaches playing unorthodox zones, and overpaid millionaires not "wanting" it. We're the best team, but they do lots of things well/better than us. They're good, we're better, but that doesn't mean that "unpredictability" is the only thing other teams have on us.

Our softball girls were the best in the world, no doubt about it, were a lot more talented than anyone else, but they still lost to the Japanese. A little humility wouldn't hurt anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    That's such nationalistic crap. When we lost to them, they had size, strength, desire, and pick and rolls on us, plus the ballsiest player on the court. I hate this attitude that any American loss must be blamed on some set of bizarre circumstances involving the alignment of the moons, crafty European coaches playing unorthodox zones, and overpaid millionaires not "wanting" it. We're the best team, but they do lots of things well/better than us. They're good, we're better, but that doesn't mean that "unpredictability" is the only thing other teams have on us.

Our softball girls were the best in the world, no doubt about it, were a lot more talented than anyone else, but they still lost to the Japanese. A little humility wouldn't hurt anyone.
    Yep.

Next stop June 2015

The only element teams have over the US is unpredictability, and Argentina has less than anybody else.
    I find no problem with your supposed attitude. As JKidd said, there's a double standard against the US around the world...and even within the US apparently. If any US people make bold, confident statements about their team, they are branded arrogant...while everyone else gets a pass.

Hope that brand doesn't hurt too bad brother...

Go USA!!!

From the nba.com front page:

"Manu Ginobili said defending Olympic champion Argentina has virtually no chance to beat the U.S Team in Friday's semifinals"

Next stop June 2015

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    From the nba.com front page:

"Manu Ginobili said defending Olympic champion Argentina has virtually no chance to beat the U.S Team in Friday's semifinals"
    Well, they could try to be unpredictable...

We should be confident and we should be dominant. Does anyone really ever watch an Olympic basketball game and think the US will lose? It's like betting against Misty and Kerri. Last Olympics was unfortunate, but should we really be afraid to say we're the best an expect to win??
    "Danny Granger is one of the top players in the league. To move Danny, you better get a lot back." - Larry Bird

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post

You're the biggest anti-USA poster in this entire forum. I don't want to hear this "we" BS all of a sudden when you've gloated over every single loss over the last 3 years.

Most teams have known our players a lot better than we have known theirs, and it absolutely has hurt us. It's not even a question.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-22-2008 at 07:14 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

You're the biggest anti-USA poster in this entire forum. I don't want to hear this "we" BS all of a sudden when you've gloated over every single loss over the last 3 years.

Most teams have known our players a lot better than we have known theirs, and it absolutely has hurt us. It's not even a question.
    You mean a single loss?

Edit: and yeah i distinctly remember coach K not knowing any of the greek players names after the loss in worlds, talking about them by their numbers, that was bad preparation it seems.
    Last edited by Chewy; 08-22-2008 at 07:18 AM.

Mood

they are doing terrible with listing when team USA plays....any idea on when we play next ?
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84