Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic Basketball Thread

Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

Rubio looked impressive, his alley-oop pass was sweet. Spain on the whole were pretty mediocre.

One of the Euro teams is going to have to play almost perfect and Team USA would have to shoot poorly for them not to win gold. Much better team work in that game than i'd seen previously.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Holy crap, Australia is taking Lithuania to the woodshed! They're up by 30

I have no idea who the US will play in round one now....
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-18-2008 at 12:23 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Holy crap, Australia is taking Lithuania to the woodshed! They're up by 30

I have no idea who the US will play in round one now....
    Australia

Australia 103, Lithuania 65.

Now that's humiliating.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Strong game by Australia, don't know what was up with the Liths, so many TO's. Very bad game by Runi.
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

The Australia-Lithuania game is meaningless for Lithuania + if Lithuania looses Russia (now there is super tension between Lith-Rus) has no chance to get the 4th place and leaves the tournament. These are my only ideas for this loss. They clearly didn't play.
    Yours truly,
    Israfan, former Lithfan

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Israfan View Post
    The Australia-Lithuania game is meaningless for Lithuania + if Lithuania looses Russia (now there is super tension between Lith-Rus) has no chance to get the 4th place and leaves the tournament. These are my only ideas for this loss. They clearly didn't play.
    I agree, pretty meaningless game for Lithuania since they already have it locked up.

I might be mistaken but wasn't Russia already eliminated? I didn't think it mattered if Lithuania lost today, in terms of Russia's chances because Australia beat them last game.

Russia and Argentina will battle for the last spot.

Edit: no, that's not true. Russia is already eliminated. But Argentina has to win to avoid the US, right?
    Last edited by Raskolnikov; 08-18-2008 at 06:19 AM.
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

Sports Logo

Argentina locked up second place. They place Greece in the quarterfinals. The winner faces US/Australia in the semis.
    Last edited by Kuq_e_Zi91; 08-18-2008 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tbabyy924 View Post
    I agree, pretty meaningless game for Lithuania since they already have it locked up.

I might be mistaken but wasn't Russia already eliminated? I didn't think it mattered if Lithuania lost today, in terms of Russia's chances because Australia beat them last game.
    For some reason everybody in Lithuania talked that if Lithuania looses to Australia Russians do not have any chance and only now I've figured out why!!!

The standings are determined by the scored-allowed points difference if both teams have same win-lost balance. Thats why if Australia would have lost to Lithuania and Russia would have won against Argentina and Russia would have better scored-allowed point balance than Australia or Croatia they could have advanced to the 4th place.

You people are fooled by the NBA standings:
    http://www.nba.com/beijing2008/mens_standings.html
    I thik FIBA is correct:
    http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/..._grouStan.html

Notice that in FIBA standings even though AUS has lost to CRO they have higher standing due to better point difference!!!
    This means that US will play Croatia and not Australia.

Am I right???
    Yours truly,
    Israfan, former Lithfan

In any case I think it is very bad that there is such a dissonance between FIBA and NBA.
    But what standings are true????
    Yours truly,
    Israfan, former Lithfan

Sports Logo

For some reason everybody in Lithuania talked that if Lithuania looses to Australia Russians do not have any chance and only now I've figured out why!!!

The standings are determined by the scored-allowed points difference if both teams have same win-lost balance. Thats why if Australia would have lost to Lithuania and Russia would have won against Argentina and Russia would have better scored-allowed point balance than Australia or Croatia they could have advanced to the 4th place.

You people are fooled by the NBA standings:
    http://www.nba.com/beijing2008/mens_standings.html
    I thik FIBA is correct:
    http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/..._grouStan.html

Notice that in FIBA standings even though AUS has lost to CRO they have higher standing due to better point difference!!!
    This means that US will play Croatia and not Australia.

Am I right???
    I can see why you're confused. Australia is currently in 2nd because Argentina has not played yet. Argentina will have 2nd place automatically after their game is finished. Croatia and Australia have the same record, but Croatia takes 3rd place because of head to head match ups. Croatia beat Australia 97-82. Australia therefore, takes 4th and a quarterfinal match up with US.

Now, the Russians did not have any chance after they lost to Australia. Both teams were 1-2 at the time and the head to head match up was crucial to who would advance. Australia won, so they went 2-2 and Russia went 1-3. Even if Australia had lost to Lithuania today and went 2-3, and Russia beats Argentina later and also goes 2-3, Australia will still advance because they beat Russia head to head. So the Lithuania-Australia game was meaningless.

Croatia plays Spain in the quarterfinals. With the winner taking on Lithuania/China in the semifinals.

I can see why you're confused. Australia is currently in 2nd because Argentina has not played yet. Argentina will have 2nd place automatically after their game is finished. Croatia and Australia have the same record, but Croatia takes 3rd place because of head to head match ups. Croatia beat Australia 97-82. Australia therefore, takes 4th and a quarterfinal match up with US.

Now, the Russians did not have any chance after they lost to Australia. Both teams were 1-2 at the time and the head to head match up was crucial to who would advance. Australia won, so they went 2-2 and Russia went 1-3. Even if Australia had lost to Lithuania today and went 2-3, and Russia beats Argentina later and also goes 2-3, Australia will still advance because they beat Russia head to head. So the Lithuania-Australia game was meaningless.

Croatia plays Spain in the quarterfinals. With the winner taking on Lithuania/China in the semifinals.
    You are right if head to head is a criteria. (and its clear that Australia is in a second place at the moment cause Argentina hasn't played)
    BUT look carefully at FIBA ratings (notice that Australia is ranked higher than Croatia) and you'll understand that they take point difference as a criteria and not head to head matchup!
    Yours truly,
    Israfan, former Lithfan

Sports Logo

Alright man what you wanna bet that Australia is 4th and Croatia 3rd?

Alright man what you wanna bet that Australia is 4th and Croatia 3rd?
    Hey I'm not betting, all I'm telling you is that in FIBA ratings Australia is in 3d and Croatia in 4th. See my link.
    The question is whether FIBA is right?
    Yours truly,
    Israfan, former Lithfan

We're killing Germany.

As I recall, FIBA does not factor in head to head matchups.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    As I recall, FIBA does not factor in head to head matchups.
    Exactly!
    Is Olympic tournament played by Fiba rules?
    Yours truly,
    Israfan, former Lithfan

Sports Logo

Hey I'm not betting, all I'm telling you is that in FIBA ratings Australia is in 3d and Croatia in 4th. See my link.
    The question is whether FIBA is right?
    I saw your link. I'm not questioning FIBA. Look this is from FIBA site.

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/...News_arti.html

That states Croatia would play Spain, meaning Croatia is 3rd.

This also states Croatia will play Spain.

That states Australia is 4th and has the US in quarterfinals. I'm just trying to say don't look at the standings now because Argentina-Russia has yet to play. After that, they will update them. Hopefully those links clear things up.
    Last edited by Kuq_e_Zi91; 08-18-2008 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iHicks View Post
    We're killing Germany.
    Just turned it on... talk about an understatement. Before that score, we'd already doubled them up 39-78.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Just turned it on... talk about an understatement. Before that score, we'd already doubled them up 39-78.
    I just checked the box score - looks like we got past the "teams play with us the first 1-1.5 quarters before we smoke 'em" syndrome.

Hope Chris Kaman's glad he's a German for life now - at least in international ball.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

That was... impressive.

Wade's jawing with a couple of the Germany players... are they upset about getting blown out, or just chatting?

The level of communication on this squad is really impressive. Of course, it helps to have an arena full of ridiculous sounds during gameplay.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

What is the score of the USA-Germany game?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    That was... impressive.

Wade's jawing with a couple of the Germany players... are they upset about getting blown out, or just chatting?

The level of communication on this squad is really impressive. Of course, it helps to have an arena full of ridiculous sounds during gameplay.
    You mean no sounds? or am i missing something, didn't hear any racecar sounds in earlier games today , what i enjoyed the most is watching it online without any commentary, just the game sounds, wish you could turn off the commentary on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Smooth View Post
    What is the score of the USA-Germany game?
    US just won 106-57. Germany came back at the end.

Enjoy your time at PD!