Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic Basketball Thread

Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

Was busy this morning so I taped it.

Nobody's beating us if we play that way - and I doubt anyone beats us if we play that way and don't hit from outside. If anyone could handle our ball pressure it should have been Spain and they couldn't. One of the issues that there isn't an answer to is the quickness of our frontcourt players. It's a substantial adjustment to the international game where we use Bosh and Howard rather than Duncan and Shaq. And when you use a Bosh or Howard or Lebron to double the ball - guys who are 6-8 to 6-11 with great quickness - it makes things very tough.

Of course we could still turn selfish and go back to one-on-one ISO play and lose but I don't think it happens with this team.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BorisD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think Kobe's defense has been that great, given that he plays with his head on a swivel, wanders around without regard to what the team needs, and is probably the worst off-ball defender on that team. His seeming effort has been top-notch, I'll admit that that has probably been inspirational, though; his actual quality defensively has been weak at best.

I don't buy that coming off the bench gives Wade energy; I think being healthy at last and playing with great teammates is probably giving him that boost, but this is just the D-Wade of 2006 come back to life. I wouldn't give Kobe any more credit for that than I would giving him credit for the sun coming up in the east in the morning.

There aren't really a lot of individual performances to date - Kobe's excepted, and Carmelo's up until the last game - that are really worthy of scorn; it's the issue of how well this team plays together. So far, they've managed to get it done but I think their lack of outside shooting coupled with mediocre post play could very well be their undoing.

Realistically, a team that uses substitutions well to stop transition and gambles a little bit by jamming outlet passes instead of letting them go uncontested has a puncher's chance of beating this team. It would require some quick wing players and good post play and it would take a very good team to get that done. The USA obviously has some counters to that, like wing players who rebound and can handle the ball well, but basically a team that can disrupt the USA's transition attack can beat them. I still give Spain the best chance of doing that, but it'll be tough if they're too busy making slant-eyed faces and just shrugging off the criticism of it. But they're basically where the USA was at, just expecting teams to roll over for them - and that's just not going to happen, and at least the USA has the talent to maybe get away with that.
    Fixed.

I really don't think this team has done anything to make us think they are expecting people to roll over for them.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Fixed.

I really don't think this team has done anything to make us think they are expecting people to roll over for them.
    I can say with complete confidence that wherever Boris is posting from, it's 2004. There's no other explanation for what he writes.

I think it's safe to say that USA has to suffer an epic collapse to not win the gold, good thing Lithuania won it's group, maybe we could nip the silver

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    I can say with complete confidence that wherever Boris is posting from, it's 2004. There's no other explanation for what he writes.
    Nice: use a sweeping generalization to dismiss an entire thread of my posting based on a disagreement over verb tense in one instance. Never mind that it is in part at least justifiable: note statements I've referred to in this thread by Bosh, LeBron and Coach K that at least suggest this attitude. So your "complete confidence" that there's "no other explanation" than I'm somehow conflating eras might at least be misplaced, yes? Disagree if you want, I expect it at this point, but mix in some actual discussion - you know, if it's not asking too much.

Quote Originally Posted by BorisD View Post
    Nice: use a sweeping generalization to dismiss an entire thread of my posting based on a disagreement over verb tense in one instance. Never mind that it is in part at least justifiable: note statements I've referred to in this thread by Bosh, LeBron and Coach K that at least suggest this attitude. So your "complete confidence" that there's "no other explanation" than I'm somehow conflating eras might at least be misplaced, yes? Disagree if you want, I expect it at this point, but mix in some actual discussion - you know, if it's not asking too much.
    I've discussed it repeatedly throughout this thread - see, for example, this post: http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-...&postcount=126

and I can say with complete confidence that in your case there is no point because you exist in a time period that is not this one since what you post seems to be completely without basis in current reality. It's difficult carrying on a discussion with someone who is basing all of his arguments on conditions that no longer exist.

Though please carry on - I enjoy reading your posts.

I am happy that the U.S won and think that they will win the gold if they play defense like they did today. But, I wonder if that first half would have been lot closer if we did not hit 7 of 10 from 3 pt land at one point. I do not think that this is a good shooting team and will not shoot like this in the remaining games. Bad shooting, no defense combined with a "I AM USA" iso "one on one" instead of a "WE ARE USA" kind of game is why some team might steal one.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala View Post
    I am happy that the U.S won and think that they will win the gold if they play defense like they did today. But, I wonder if that first half would have been lot closer if we did not hit 7 of 10 from 3 pt land at one point. I do not think that this is a good shooting team and will not shoot like this in the remaining games. Bad shooting, no defense combined with a "I AM USA" iso "one on one" instead of a "WE ARE USA" kind of game is why some team might steal one.
    The fact is that Team US did shoot 7 of 10 three point shots at that one point in the game. Please do not delve into things that did NOT happen.

GO USA!

How can anyone say we're not playing defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    The fact is that Team US did shoot 7 of 10 three point shots at that one point in the game. Please do not delve into things that did NOT happen.
    Plus, we won by 37. Take away every single three... pretend we were 0 for 10. We'd still have won by double digits.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

if USA shot 0/10 from the arc, they would have still won by 16.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Holy cow, I'm just now watching the game. This is a flat-out dismantling.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post

GO USA!
    I'm interpreting what he said as "if this happens the US might lose" not that it has or he thinks it will. There's no way to think that based on how the team has played to this point.

From every game I've watched, everyting I've seen and read....this is a very disciplined, very strong team!!

It looks like USA Basketball has finally put their foot down and pulled together "a team" after several years of poor attitudes and selfish play. They are playing well in all facets of the game and have really learned how to play the international game. I'm very impressed with this team and have had a blast watching their games as well as many of the other teams. All the teams play with a "proud of my homeland/country" fire and that is what this is all about.

The players from the US have finally understood what all this means (the olympic spirit etc.) and it is great to see! Great to see them in the village and at many of the other sporting events like swimming and volleyball.

On another note: ISN'T it a blast to watch basketball played with heart, fire and teamwork. VERY little ISO bull crap with tenancious Defense, rebounding and pride from all the countries. Watching China hold off Germany was a blast.

And lastly, isn't basketball a much better sport when all players and teams are treated equal by the referees. No favoritism to teams or players. Fouls are called when committed on the person who commits them. Kidd got 3 fouls in a row. Kobe had to sit with foul trouble. Gasol had plenty calls on him. The purity of the international game is something the NBA "Brass" needs to learn a lot from!!!

Water

Quote Originally Posted by DeS View Post
    J. M. Calderon: We will win (against team USA)

One of the Spain leaders J. M. Calderon said that his team isn't goint to get owned by team USA.

"We will not change our game, because we play americans. We will fight, we will have no pressure, we will play better and we will win",- J. M. Calderon believes in his team.
    Heh. This is awesome. I'm re-reading the thread looking for references to Spain... it's brutal.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Heh. This is awesome. I'm re-reading the thread looking for references to Spain... it's brutal.
    I'm glad you like it Actually, i'm no Spain team lover, so i don't feel sorry for them at all. I've just translated what i thought would be interessting for you.

On the other hand i think some you read to much into this quote. Maybe he just wanted encourage his team and fans and show the dedication.
    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

Calderon is really struggling in the Olympics. It's surprising, because his strength is his a/to ratio, but he's been really bad so far against less pressure.

Finally got to watch Rubio in more length. He certainly doesn't merit the #1 pick right now because he needs to get much stronger, but he has the chance to be very special. He has amazing anticipation.

Has anyone seen Stanko play? He's producing in limited minutes, which is a positive sign.

Is Stanks really ever going to be a member of this team?

Quote Originally Posted by DeS View Post
    I'm glad you like it Actually, i'm no Spain team lover, so i don't feel sorry for them at all. I've just translated what i thought would be interessting for you.

On the other hand i think some you read to much into this quote. Maybe he just wanted encourage his team and fans and show the dedication.
    Yeah - that quote doesn't bother me. Never figure'd why someone saying they think their team will win bothers anyone. You expect him to say, "The Americans are better than us - we're toast."?

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Finally got to watch Rubio in more length. He certainly doesn't merit the #1 pick right now because he needs to get much stronger, but he has the chance to be very special. He has amazing anticipation.
    He's only 17. If he declares next year my guess is he'd go lottery, maybe high lottery for a team that needs a PG and can wait a bit - like NY.

He's only 17. If he declares next year my guess is he'd go lottery, maybe high lottery for a team that needs a PG and can wait a bit - like NY.
    If he's only 17, then he won't be eligible for next year's draft, will he?

Next year he'd be 18 and a year out of HS, so it seems like it.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    If he's only 17, then he won't be eligible for next year's draft, will he?
    Next year's draft happens next year.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We should when gold, but we have not won God. Until I see the US with gold anything could happen. The only way to get the taste of the last 4+ years out of my mouth is by winning gold. Anything less would be uncivilized
    Last edited by Major Cold; 08-17-2008 at 05:31 PM.

Next year's draft happens next year.
    Yes, and 17 + 1 = 18.

I thought the rule was that the player had to be one year out of high school and 19 years old. Upon looking up the rule, I discovered that was true for US players. International players must turn 19 in the calendar year of the draft. Since Rubio turns 19 in October of 2009, he will be eligible for the next summer's draft.