Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 668

Thread: Olympic Basketball Thread

  1. #251

    Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Blah blah blah...

    More talk from the Lithuanians. Didn't we beat them by 30+ a couple weeks back?

    If the U.S. plays like they did today, Spain might not be able to keep it under 15.
    And from your president, too... I think you don't get the point. Do you? This is about respect and good will from both sides. And, btw, what you did couple weeks back doesn't count anywhere.
    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

  2. #252
    Never Quit. Coop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,091

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

    Right.


    Well I look forward to playing Lithuania again. I enjoyed watching Sarunas freak out over the Americans defense.

  3. #253

    Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    jose is so incorrect
    Could be so. But it seems that they are comming to play! Personaly, i'd like to see a good fight and good basketball
    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

  4. #254

    Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Right.


    Well I look forward to playing Lithuania again. I enjoyed watching Sarunas freak out over the Americans defense.
    I'm looking forward, too. But, relax HeartlandFan, that post wasn't about the winning Enjoy it - it's our presidents talking about basketball!
    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

  5. #255
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,481

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by DeS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    J. M. Calderon: We will win (against team USA)

    One of the Spain leaders J. M. Calderon said that his team isn't goint to get owned by team USA.

    "We will not change our game, because we play americans. We will fight, we will have no pressure, we will play better and we will win",- J. M. Calderon believes in his team.
    Why would you possibly want to add more fuel to this US team's fire? Stupid, stupid, stupid Jose.

    Isn't it clear by now that they are on a mission to reclaim the gold?

    Oh well, Calderon clearly doesn't think much before he acts.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  6. #256

    Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

    One of the brightest stars of the team USA LeBron Jame after victorious game against Greece (92:69) opened the secret of the win: "We play every game as the last one".

    L. James get 17 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists. "We play better each game. We play the whole strength with every oponent and if we have chance to improve then we have to use it", said the player.

    Team USA get many good words from basketball specialists. It doesn't seem that this years team have weak points and demonstrates the highest level basketball.

    Team USA won all 3 olympic games matches. "We know what the victory means and understood that it could be accomplished only with a good defence. The communication is a very important thing, so we speak (communicate) a lot when we are defending.",- L. James didn't stop to wonder journalists.

    --->>>
    Just my translation.
    Last edited by DeS; 08-14-2008 at 06:53 PM.
    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

  7. #257

    Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why would you possibly want to add more fuel to this US team's fire? Stupid, stupid, stupid Jose.

    Isn't it clear by now that they are on a mission to reclaim the gold?

    Oh well, Calderon clearly doesn't think much before he acts.
    It would be fine considering the talent they have, theyll be able to field a team with 7 NBA players in a couple fo years, but they barely won against China and Germany kept close late, two teams that have no bussines hanging around at the end of the game, this might backfire worse than for France swimming relay team

  8. #258
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,481

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

    Spain is extremely talented, but I don't get why you would want to rile up this team even more.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  9. #259

    Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

    Meanwhile the Chinese came up with a nickname for Carlos Boozer

    http://nba.fanhouse.com/2008/08/10/m...yal-skull-dude

  10. #260
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

    What a weird quote by Scola.

    "They wanna to run, they gonna shoot, they don't want to play really, really solid defense. You got people who try to play this way. I think it's impossible to beat the NBA players that way because it's the way they're really the best. When you play these European teams it's different. They play much more like a block; it's really more difficult to get points, it's really difficult to get 100 points in a game. It's hard to run, they play extremely physical. So I think it's going to be a little bit different. Maybe (the U.S. will) dominate because they can do it if they're open. But maybe they don't, like it's been happening at the last championships."
    Is he saying the USA team doesn't want to play defense? Or their opponents?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  11. #261
    Thank you, Danny. Kuq_e_Zi91's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    2,501

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

    I think he's saying USA doesn't want to play defense and they just want to run. Then he says, it's hard to play like that in the NBA because many teams and players thrive running the floor and getting easy baskets. Then he says, in Europe it's different because they play physical defense so it's hard to get 100 points a game. I think his "block" means like a wall, maybe referring to the zone defense. Then he says, maybe US will win because they can get open looks if they run or maybe they won't win, referring to what happened in the past championships.

    Just my opinion, hopefully that cleared it up.

  12. #262
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by tbabyy924 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he's saying USA doesn't want to play defense and they just want to run. Then he says, it's hard to play like that in the NBA because many teams and players thrive running the floor and getting easy baskets. Then he says, in Europe it's different because they play physical defense so it's hard to get 100 points a game. I think his "block" means like a wall, maybe referring to the zone defense. Then he says, maybe US will win because they can get open looks if they run or maybe they won't win, referring to what happened in the past championships.

    Just my opinion, hopefully that cleared it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What a weird quote by Scola.



    Is he saying the USA team doesn't want to play defense? Or their opponents?
    It sounds to me like something similar to what T-bird was saying in his post. He's questioning their patience defensively. To draw a comparison from the '90's, I'd use the Sonics (under Karl) and the Pacers (under Brown).

    The Sonics were a 60-win team that applied withering pressure, however, they had a tendency get a little sloppy when teams were able to deal with their first wave. It was a strategy that, in concert with their offensive skills, was often more than enough to beat their opponents into submission. However, come playoff time, when the talent disparity wasn't as great and the intensity higher, opponents were able to withstand the initial onslaught and grind wins out.

    The Pacers were low on flash, but they basically ground teams down. During their peak periods, they would go on 14-1 runs that would take like 8 minutes. They didn't get a lot of steal or all that many blocks, but teams would look up at the shotclock ticking under 5 seconds, and the ball would be 30 feet from the basket. The Pistons have probably been better at this over the last few years (though they had an added pressure dimension), and the 2004 Pacers were good at this (with Artest).

    Basically, Scola is saying that if you're patient enough with the US team, they'll get tired of waiting, make a mistake, and you can get easy baskets. I'm inferring that he also extrapolates that to the US offense, in that if you can keep them from getting early, easy baskets, you'll be able to force them into bad shots.

    However, it remains to be seen whether anybody can actually be patient enough to deal with the team. I'm reminded of Bob Knight's comments in 1987 after IU beat UNLV 97-93. Everybody figured IU would win a low-scoring game, but a high scoring game would be to the advantage of Tark's Rebels.

    It was the first time two players ever combined to score 70 against a Knight team. It was just the second time in 16 years a team reached as high as 93 against a Knight defense (Iowa's 101-point total earlier this year).

    Indiana's answer was offense. "We didn't think it could be a game where we could play with all kinds of patience and a lot of passing and dribbling, because we thought their defensive pressure was too good," Knight said.

    "We thought if we tried to play a game with 60, they might score 85."
    It all depends on the start. Using an analogy from another sport, how often have we seen opposing coaches abandon a conservative game plan early against the Colts over the past few years? So often, even the spectre of the Manning-led offense would cause the other team to take foolish gambles, playing into the Colts hands.

    Top teams, with strong coaching and equal or better talent, like the Patriots () didn't have this problem, but we've seen decent-to-good teams like Jacksonville, Tennessee, Pittsburgh, and Chicago on occasion snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. The question is whether teams like Spain are more like the former, or the latter.

  13. #263
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by tbabyy924 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he's saying USA doesn't want to play defense and they just want to run. Then he says, it's hard to play like that in the NBA because many teams and players thrive running the floor and getting easy baskets. Then he says, in Europe it's different because they play physical defense so it's hard to get 100 points a game. I think his "block" means like a wall, maybe referring to the zone defense. Then he says, maybe US will win because they can get open looks if they run or maybe they won't win, referring to what happened in the past championships.

    Just my opinion, hopefully that cleared it up.
    That's sure how it sounds. But surely he's not saying that because it's completely assinine.

    I think the quote got mangled and taken out of context. I think the question was about how to beat the USA team. People lose to the US because "They wanna to run, they gonna shoot, they don't want to play really, really solid defense. You got people who try to play this way. I think it's impossible to beat the NBA players that way because it's the way they're really the best.[/quote]

    I dunno. Seems weird.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  14. #264
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,481

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

    I think it sounds like he is saying some international teams don't want to play the defense required to beat Team USA? And it's just poorly translated.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  15. #265
    Member BorisD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Guelph, Ontario
    Posts
    133

    Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Most likely, they haven't looked impressive in Olympics so far.
    Spain's played like crap, and the most underachieving so far of all their players has been Jose Calderon. Could it be an eyesight problem, either from making stupid faces to the cameras or from the hypocrite's beam stuck in it? (After all, this is the guy who spent a year playing the saint and hanging TJ Ford out to dry in the media at every opportunity - nice to see him look like a complete tool in public.) Is Jose showing the world that Toronto kept the wrong point guard? He seems to be going out of his way to do so.

    Meh, for that matter the USA hasn't been overwhelming, either. Kobe looks like he's on the verge of taking a game and losing it for them single-handedly, and Carmelo isn't playing well enough to justify his presence on a team full of wing scorers. (Not when there are so many prison leagues who are clamouring for his services, anyway.) Teams who slow the pace down are keeping the scores within a respectable margin, and if one of the better teams can realize how stupid Kobe is on the defensive end and be aware of their pressure releases to beat the Krzyzewski overplay doctrine then the USA could very conceivably be beaten.

  16. #266
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,187
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

    No doubt the Americans are impatient on offense. How many times do I have to see Paul, LeBron, and Wade give up position to risk a steal for a dunk. And when they go up against a team that can take care of the ball, hit open jumpers, and grab offensive rebounds without giving the fast break to us, they will have to adjust. As of now they really haven't needed to do that. But that does not mean they can't when it really matters.

  17. #267
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

    I'm not really that worried about USA considering the fact that they just beat Greece by more than twenty points in spite of those flaws.

  18. #268
    Member BorisD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Guelph, Ontario
    Posts
    133

    Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not really that worried about USA considering the fact that they just beat Greece by more than twenty points in spite of those flaws.
    Yes, and that was a good effort against a good team, although for the life of me I'm still trying to figure out what's been with Papaloukas the past year. Olympiakos may struggle a little if he doesn't round out into top form, soon. Greece still is one of those teams that could catch the US at the right team and drop them, but that was a good performance by the American team.

  19. #269
    Never Quit. Coop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,091

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BorisD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Meh, for that matter the USA hasn't been overwhelming, either. Kobe looks like he's on the verge of taking a game and losing it for them single-handedly, and Carmelo isn't playing well enough to justify his presence on a team full of wing scorers. (Not when there are so many prison leagues who are clamouring for his services, anyway.) Teams who slow the pace down are keeping the scores within a respectable margin, and if one of the better teams can realize how stupid Kobe is on the defensive end and be aware of their pressure releases to beat the Krzyzewski overplay doctrine then the USA could very conceivably be beaten.


    Did you even watch the Greece game? How can you say that wasn't impressive? Maybe the US only won by 23, but it was obvious who was in complete control of that game from the 2nd quarter on. The defense in the first half was some of the best defense I've ever seen. The players weren't gambling. They stayed in front of their man and Greece couldnt get into their sets.

    I will agree with you that the U.S. could be beat on any given day. We've seen that in the past couple international tournaments. If they keep playing like they did against Greece though, no one is beating them.

  20. #270

    Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

    I think the game against Greece was pretty much flawless for USA, they played to their strenghts, didn't gamble as much, noone was hogging the ball, used their athleticism, hit the outside shots, i don't know what more would you expect if they played any better theyd be at an original dream team level, and i think they might be pretty close, it's just that basketball gotten better over last decade in the rest of the world, they won't be winning by 60 points like in 92

  21. #271
    Member BorisD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Guelph, Ontario
    Posts
    133

    Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Did you even watch the Greece game? How can you say that wasn't impressive? Maybe the US only won by 23, but it was obvious who was in complete control of that game from the 2nd quarter on. The defense in the first half was some of the best defense I've ever seen. The players weren't gambling. They stayed in front of their man and Greece couldnt get into their sets.

    I will agree with you that the U.S. could be beat on any given day. We've seen that in the past couple international tournaments. If they keep playing like they did against Greece though, no one is beating them.
    You're certainly correct in that beating Greece is a solid, solid effort. Although Papaloukas' play has been disappointing (and he'd damned well get back to where he was for this year's Euroleague season, Olympiakos has huge hopes for that team ) beating that team was a big accomplishment for the US. The Greeks have a tough, aggressive team and play well internationally.

    I didn't see the game for the most part, but my understanding is that the US is overplaying the wing and denying entries hard. That's great, until teams start running effective pressure releases, and then you're giving up layups (like, you know, Duke did the second half of the season this year when teams got wise to the passing lane overplays).

  22. #272

    Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BorisD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're certainly correct in that beating Greece is a solid, solid effort. Although Papaloukas' play has been disappointing (and he'd damned well get back to where he was for this year's Euroleague season, Olympiakos has huge hopes for that team ) beating that team was a big accomplishment for the US. The Greeks have a tough, aggressive team and play well internationally.

    I didn't see the game for the most part, but my understanding is that the US is overplaying the wing and denying entries hard. That's great, until teams start running effective pressure releases, and then you're giving up layups (like, you know, Duke did the second half of the season this year when teams got wise to the passing lane overplays).
    How was Papaloukas play disspaointing he and Spannoulis were the only 2 that caused some problems, i mean how is 15 point 8 rebound performance against a team full of NBA all stars can be dissapointing

  23. #273
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,481

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

    I thought Papaloukas played really well against us.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  24. #274
    Member BorisD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Guelph, Ontario
    Posts
    133

    Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How was Papaloukas play disspaointing he and Spannoulis were the only 2 that caused some problems, i mean how is 15 point 8 rebound performance against a team full of NBA all stars can be dissapointing
    I wrote that poorly. I didn't want to refer so much to his play last game - he was better except for the turnovers, same as against Germany - but mostly in the tournament he's been "meh" and he had a weak year last year in Euroleague competition by his standards. It's nice to see his outside shooting look reasonably healthy, though - I think he shot 25% from behind the arc or something ridiculously poor in Euroleague competition last year.

  25. #275
    Come Home Lance! BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    16,026

    Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

    Ah, reality is setting in.

    Quickness and athleticism combined with an actual game plan is pretty much unstoppable. While other teams are more than capable of playing smart, eurostyle, team basketball...tremendous athletes that have a relatively good game plan will ultimately be victorious.

    Similar to Sarunas, the superstar, the rest of the world will bow to the quickness and athleticism of the NBA...because that's the difference. The rest of the world can learn ALL they want about the game, but they cannot learn how to be quicker and more athletic. It is an advantage the Americans alone have from top to bottom.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 08-15-2008 at 08:44 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Tamika Catchings Named to Woman's Basketball Olympic Team
    By NuffSaid in forum The Locker Room (General Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2008, 06:36 PM
  2. Paul Shirly: The Career "Wanna-Be Basketball Player"
    By NuffSaid in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-11-2008, 01:40 PM
  3. U.S. Olympic basketball teams to play night games [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 06:40 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-08-2008, 07:31 PM
  5. Tbird analysis: Making the case for Mike Montgomery for next IU basketball coach
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 04-01-2008, 05:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •