Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Olympic Basketball Thread

Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, IMO it is their overall quickness and athleticism...an advantage that is not going away anytime soon.
    They compete because they prepared properly and finally put together a real team. But they win by large margins because they are quicker and more athletic.
    Agreed. The fact that previous teams didn't bring it nullified the US' best advantage: quickness and athleticism around the perimeter. I expect the World Championships to be a bit closer because teams will work on adjusting to this kind of pressure, and ways to make it a halfcourt game, but this advantage isn't going away anytime soon. However, it does mean that every american team from now on has bring full-speed effort for the full 40 minutes because the Euros and Argentina do have some advantages in the half court.

Fench team can somewhat match US in athleticism

Go USA. Can I say we are number 1?
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good to be back on top.

Congrats to the players on this team that represented this country brilliantly from beginning to end.

I am glad the final game was close and that team had to really earn the gold medal. It reminds us that the gold medal is something to truly cherish and it is something you must earn. I feared that another blowout in this gold medal game could lull use right back to sleep, but I don't think we have to worry about that now.

I'm really proud of this team. They earned it.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Also Kobe showed everyone why he's so crucial to this team. Clutch. His D set the tone in group play and then he closed this game out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Wonder how many of the 2008 team will be back in 2010?
    Well injuries will probably inevitably take one or two guys. Kidd will obviously not be back. He served his purpose to right this ship with his leadership, but his play is not good enough to keep him around.
    I really hope we can bring back Paul, Deron, Wade, Lebron, and Dwight. I'd also really like to see Bosh back. Kobe is probably a big question mark. You'd have to think Prince would come back if asked, but I don't know if he will be. He was solid, but I could see him being replaced. Probably Durant's progress makes Prince very expendable. Oden could also be a factor.
    Maybe Brandon Roy replaces Kobe if he doesn't come back? Assuming Roy is healthy.
    I'd be content with a team that looked something like:

PG: Paul, Deron
    SG: Wade, Roy, Spot up shooter
    SF: Lebron, Durant
    PF: Melo, Bosh
    C: Dwight, Oden, Fourth big man

I think Roy if he recovers 100% from his knee is perfect for international ball.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 08-24-2008 at 02:20 PM.

It was cool to see some of the players like Lebron or Kobe actually dive for the loose balls, playing the top banana on NBA teams seems they conserve energy on D

Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post
    Spain played the game of their lives and still came up 11 points short.

Also, I'd like to see what Boris has to say after continually voicing his opinion on how terrible of an international player Kobe is. He carried this team today. Also, I'd bet big money that Spain wouldn't shoot like they did if we played them again. Some of the shots they threw up were ridiculous. I can't wait until the next Olympics.

As of now, this is who I think should be looked at:

PG- Paul/D.Williams/D. Rose
    SG- Wade/B. Roy
    SF-Lebron/Durant
    PF- Carmelo/Beasley
    C- Oden/Bosh/Howard
    My two cents is that Rose will not be a player that is suited for the international game at all. Beasley could definitely be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    I like how Oden, who has yet to play a game in the NBA, is a shoe in to start for our next Olympic team. You guys drink a lot of kool-aid.
    I don't think anyone is saying he's a shoe in. We just recognize that he has a lot of attributes to be successful in international ball and stands a very good chance of being the center of the future for the USA.

If we're drinking Kool Aid, then I guess Jerry Colangelo and his staff, the architects of USA basketball the past few years, is too. He's the one who invited Oden to camp as a high school senior. Too bad his wrist was broken and he couldn't get out there and play a bit.

Mood

I'd like to see Danny Granger play in a role similar to Prince's this time around. I also agree with those saying Brandon Roy and Kevin Durant should be there

Did anyone else notice how much Marc Gasol was polishing heads with those elbows? I'll bet he fouls out of his first 5 games.
    Last edited by QuickRelease; 08-24-2008 at 04:06 PM.

Don't forget they're changing the lane in international ball to rectangular. I'm not sure if it's the same dimensions as the NBA lane but it'll make post play more of a factor. I could see a place for Bynum if he stays healthy.

Also the 3-pt line will be moved back. Not sure if that's good or bad for us but the lane change definitely helps us.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    Don't forget they're changing the lane in international ball to rectangular. I'm not sure if it's the same dimensions as the NBA lane but it'll make post play more of a factor. I could see a place for Bynum if he stays healthy.

Also the 3-pt line will be moved back. Not sure if that's good or bad for us but the lane change definitely helps us.
    When did they decide to go with these changes?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post

That;s the ultimate irony.

In 2 years, it'll be the international teams adjusting to OUR rules for once.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I really have not worried one bit in this game.

All Spain has done so far is be just good enough to lose.

They have not had a lead since the 1st quarter. Every time they get close, we push them back.

All this dramatic play-acting is humorous to me. This game has not been nearly as close as Doug Collins is making it seem.
    Great game! I think Spain played the US very well until about the 4th minute mark in the 4th quarter if memory serves me right. This IMO was definitely not a walk over and remained competitive far into the 4th quarter, but that's just my .

I love how Wade is back to full health again. I've always enjoyed watching him. I'm not as impressed with Kobe as some seem to be around here. Sure he shot that sweet 3pointer at the end and did some good defense aswell, but I also saw some shots where I'm thinking "WHY? WHY???".

I also really like how Bosh has played throughout this tournament. I think both teams shot the ball quite well, so to say that Spain was the lucky one there doesn't fly with me. I also see a lot of progress in this Spanish team, so they will remain good for sometime to come and probably get better then they are now, we'll have to see that though.

Anyway, congrats to the US for the gold. I enjoyed watching the tournament and I think this was a very worthy final indeed .

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post
    Spain played the game of their lives and still came up 11 points short.
    You make it sound like Spain never plays good and this was an almost easy blowout.... I will have to seriously disaggree with that.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    When did they decide to go with these changes?
    I believe starting in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    You make it sound like Spain never plays good and this was an almost easy blowout.... I will have to seriously disaggree with that.
    Where did I say this was a blowout? It was a very difficult game for the US. It was a lot tougher than I was expecting. But if you think Spain was playing this way for the whole olympics, I will have to seriously disagree with that.

They played the best game of their Olympics and it came at the right time. I still think they overachieved in this game..You can disagree if you like, I couldn't care less.

Coincidentally, the US also played one of its best games of the Olympics, at least on the offensive end (both teams played ****-poor on the defensive end). Kobe and Dwade played great at exactly the right time. I still can't get over how amazingly clutch that and-1 three-pointer that fouled out Rudy Furnandez was. Only guy who pissed the bed was DHoward, who needs to learn how to shoot free throws to be effective (I won't believe that Bosh is the best big man available down the stretch).

1. Both USA and Spain played their best games.
    2. Spain could easily won this one if not for the:
    a. Very strong mental preparation by the US. No panic in the fourth.
    b. Super concentrated team effort from the US.
    c. Luck with 3-pointers. You know, US has shot almost half of the shots from the three-point and hit with 46% as compared to other games in the tournament.

Spain penetrated and outrebounded US, got more steals. (as US)
    US hit threes. (as Europeans)

P.S. Everyone talks about arrogant NBA players because they've joked that they will go to play in Italy or Russia (being cinical) if they wouldn't win the gold. They were 100% sure that other teams are much inferior and that they will travel to gold.
    Yours truly,
    Israfan, former Lithfan

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I understand this sentiment. It is the majority view these days. Certainly we lost previously due to overconfidence and a sense of entitlement. It's now obvious that preparation, teamwork and focus are prerequisites for the US to win these days. However, those factors are not the only reason the US won and not at all why they blew teams out.

While many people focus on the now obvious fact that quickness and athleticism does not automatically lead to success in international competition, most people seem to dismiss it as a small factor or dismiss it altogether. Interestingly, opponents who experience the thrashing first-hand seem quick to acknowledge these as significant factors...even if it's not in vogue to do so.

IMO, team USA would lose big time if they did not have superior quickness and athleticism. As a team, they are not the best group of shooters, they do not have great size and they are not exceptionally better at moving the ball...yet most games were blow-outs and they never won by less than double digits. Now, why is that?

Some might say it's talent, baby. Well, IMO it is their overall quickness and athleticism...an advantage that is not going away anytime soon.
    They compete because they prepared properly and finally put together a real team. But they win by large margins because they are quicker and more athletic.
    Well if the logic you are using is so absolute, then if Jamaica ever focuses on basketball we are screwed.

I personally don't see is it as absolute as that. We just have a big country that has alot of resources devoted into basketball. If anyone had the pool to draw from or the amount of resources invested in nurturing talent almost from birth, Im sure we would have an arch rival. Until that time we will probably be dominate. If you think about it a country like Russia or China could be up there if they devoted the resources.

While on any given Sunday a team can beat the US, we are significantly better than any of the other teams.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    While on any given Sunday a team can beat the US, we are significantly better than any of the other teams.
    If we maintain the same approach we used this time around. If we slack off on that, or if the premier players go back to deciding it isn't worth their time, we'll have trouble.

And eventually some team will be good enough that we'll lose. Spain wasn't that far off if our shooting had gone south.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I suppose I think the key to this Olympics for the US was LeBron.

From what I saw in the games I could watch and what I read and heard, he was the active integrating part of the team. I've always been impressed by the way he came into the league as a team player in spite of the hype machine, and I think he showed it here.

Everyone embracing a team attitude and communicating well (plus accepting that they were an Olympic team and not a bunch of traveling all-stars on an exhibition spree) made the difference.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Mood

Israfan, I don't believe the USA team had their best game at all. They were embarrassing on defense for stretches. Defense was normally their calling card.