Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic Basketball Thread

Default Re: Olympic Basketball Thread

I just caught the first quarter...however, it was fun to watch, even for me!

Germany had absolutely no chance from tipoff 'til the end!

But hey, it's just a game

http://usabasketball.com/men_team.ph...=msnt_schedule

If you really want to be confused, check the standings on that page. USA Basketball has Croatia as the #4 seed, but the US playing Australia as the #4 seed.

*scratches head*

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://usabasketball.com/men_team.ph...=msnt_schedule

If you really want to be confused, check the standings on that page. USA Basketball has Croatia as the #4 seed, but the US playing Australia as the #4 seed.

*scratches head*
    Same record, but Croatia beat Australia, I assume thats the tiebreaker.

Good we got Australia, they played us tough but now we'll be ready. Croatia probably wouldn't beat us but they're a small, three point shooting team, there's always a small chance a team like that can get really hot and beat a better team. Spain hasn't been good, they could get beat by Croatia.

I hope Australia are at least competitive agsint the US and are not blown out like Germany. Australian basketball is slowly losing its appeal as a lot of the NBL clubs cannot compete with the various football codes and have now ceased operating.

A competitive game or an even a close game - would go along way in restoring Basketball's image in Australia. Hey you never know, we could pull off an upset :P.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozpacer View Post
    I hope Australia are at least competitive agsint the US and are not blown out like Germany. Australian basketball is slowly losing its appeal as a lot of the NBL clubs cannot compete with the various football codes and have now ceased operating.

A competitive game or an even a close game - would go along way in restoring Basketball's image in Australia. Hey you never know, we could pull off an upset :P.
    I hope we get hot early and lead for a bit just so I can hear Gaze go absolute nuts on the commentary.

It would actually be nice if we fell behind for a bit so we could prove we won't fold under pressure like we did in '06 to Greece.

OTOH, if we never trail the rest of the Games I like our chances for Gold.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo

Australia managed to keep it close last time they played the US and they did it without Bogut. I'm not saying they will certainly be competitive but I think they feel good coming off the Lithuania game, even if it was meaningless.

The game I'm most looking forward to in the quarterfinals is Argentina vs Greece. Then hopefully a Greece vs USA rematch.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The first game against Aus. was obviously the worst played game by the US leading up to the Olympics and in the Olympics.

They really just weren't all there throughout the game. Offensively they were the same, still running at every opportunity and getting the shots they wanted, but defensively it was a wreck.

They just weren't focused at all. I think the speed of Aus. (and not just Mills) completely caught them off guard. I think Aus. is probably the most athletic team across the board that they've faced so far.

I'm not saying it will be a rout, but I don't think it will be anything like last time.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post

OTOH, if we never trail the rest of the Games I like our chances for Gold.

With observations like that, you could have a career as a television sports broadcaster in your future!

Just stick "Boom goes the dynamite" in there somewhere and look out Dick Vitale!

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I think Stanko will show up our bigs if/when we face Croatia.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    With observations like that, you could have a career as a television sports broadcaster in your future!

Just stick "Boom goes the dynamite" in there somewhere and look out Dick Vitale!

-Bball
    It's right up there with, "If we can outscore them over the entire 40 minutes I think we have a great chance to pull out a win."

Dammit - you made me use one of my good ones.

Anyone else attend the Yogi Berra School of Sports Broadcasting?

Australia is the worst opponent we could have faced in a quarterfinal. They gave us trouble when we played them two weeks ago. I would not expect a rout because even our players will be a little tight in a "win or go home" situation. Australia has nothing to lose, has Bogut back and has a point guard who gave our points some fits in that earlier game. My worst fear is the US taking them lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala View Post
    Australia is the worst opponent we could have faced in a quarterfinal. They gave us trouble when we played them two weeks ago. I would not expect a rout because even our players will be a little tight in a "win or go home" situation. Australia has nothing to lose, has Bogut back and has a point guard who gave our points some fits in that earlier game. My worst fear is the US taking them lightly.
    No, that's the whole point, they already showed us their stuff. Australia just shellacked Lithuania, I'd be scared of them if we hadn't already faced them. It's tough for an inferior team to pull off the "playing really confidently while other team takes us for granted" bit twice, not to mention our guys have something to prove this game. The only thing I'd be worried about is tightening up, but that has nothing to do with our opponent, that's all about us. Since the US hasn't had a tight game, they haven't had to settle the Kobe-LeBron-DWade Alpha Dog situation, and I don't want them figuring that out against a team that's getting hot in the final five minutes of an elimination game.
    Last edited by bulldog; 08-20-2008 at 01:08 AM.

Order more copier toner. Haggard's Avatar

Australia can win this if they hit early shots, draw the Us into foul trouble and slow the game down.. Saying that though its very unlikely that they will be able to pull off a win bit it would be huge if they did.
    Haggard's Blog: Can't Buy a Basket. Covering the highs and lows of the NBL

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is not the way China wanted to end their Olympic run....

2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

US vs. Australia 25-24 after 1 quarter. Curious if the Australians can stay close in the 2nd Q.
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

Australian basketball is slowly losing its appeal as a lot of the NBL clubs cannot compete with the various football codes and have now ceased operating.

Ozzie, can you explain this? How do basketball teams need to "compete with the various football codes?"

Thanks.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Well, it was nice of the Aussies to keep it close for a half.

Yep, game over now. I mean, not really over, because they're still playing. What I'm trying to say is: it will be very hard for Australia to come back from this deficit.
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

Mills looks like a nice NBA prospect

What is the score? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Smooth View Post
    What is the score? Thanks in advance.
    Based on my updating box score, right now it's;

USA - 96
    Aus - 67
    7:16 left

Well, that sounds like the scary close game a few people were predicting......uhhh, maybe not.

It's my opinion, relax! Vince Neil's Avatar

USA 116
    Aussies 85

NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Order more copier toner. Haggard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    Ozzie, can you explain this? How do basketball teams need to "compete with the various football codes?"

Thanks.
    Basketball in Oz saw its hey-days in the early 90's. each team just about sold out every game and free to air channels battled for the rights to braodcast games live in prime time slots. Then i guess basketball dropped from the forefront and was subsequently dropped from free to air tv. This in turn caused basketball to drop from the sporting map and i guess you could say that only the ball fans kept following the game. These days they play to a lot smaller fan base.

The NBL switched from a winter season (same time as aussie rules footy) to a summer season in an attempt to stop battling against the AFL for fans. Soccer became popular and basketball saw no increase in supporters. A number of teams moved to different cities trying to become finacially viable but to little effect. The NBL season commences in September with three less teams than last season. 2 of them being Sydney and Brisbane (2 of the larger cities). A lot of teams are finding it hard to cope financially as most corporate sponsors want to throw their money into the larger sporting markets.

To be fair to Ozpacers comments, a footy team plays anywhere from 20,000 to 40,000 people. Rugby is very popular across the east coast of Australia and soccer is increasing in popularity. Throw cricket into the equation and it doesn't leave a lot of time for your average sporting punter to find time for basketball.
    Haggard's Blog: Can't Buy a Basket. Covering the highs and lows of the NBL