Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will pacers games be broadcasted in HD???

Default Will pacers games be broadcasted in HD???

i am really excited about all the changes and cant wait for the season to start. but does anyone know if they will be broadcasting them in HD or where i could find out....???? thanks

Default Re: OT: Will pacers games be broadcasted in HD???

I highly doubt it (although I haven't heard one way or the other)

But starting early in 2009 all TV is going digital so who knows

thanks it just sucks since im so far away....i get league pass and non-hd on hd tv doesnt look that great....but i will be making a trip to portland (could have been seattle as well) to catch the pacers in march hopefully they are playing well.....

I think if you're local and have directv, FSNMW comes in HD with the HD package.

Other than that, probably SOL.

Altho Directv has the capability of SHOWING a Pacers game on the Fox RSN in HD, whether any (except natl games) would be produced in HD is a whole different scenario (and if it's not produced in HD then there's no HD for the FOX RSN HD to show).

While it's certainly possible if for no other reason than the market is moving that way, I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm not sure whether anybody in a position to make this call would be willing to direct the necessary funds this way to do it.

And since Fox sports is a cable/sat entity, Uncle Buck's statement about all TV going digital in 2009 doesn't matter as much to this debate (it is OTA broadcast TV that is going digital). Even if it did, going digital doesn't mean it's digital from source to your television. And analog can be converted to digital without going to a 16x9 picture even.

But all that said, television production has been moving towards hidef for quite some time... way before it was profitable or necessary to do so... So the short term money isn't always the hold off in a production moving to HD.

Or to sum it up- I would be surprised to see the Pacers in HD on FSNI this season... but I do imagine it'll be happening sooner rather than later.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

They should. . .Small Market teams should invest in that technology
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

thanks guys for all the replies...im really hoping so because im still thinking about league pass and i really didnt enjoy the picture so much last year...but i guess im just spoiled from nfl sunday ticket having all those games in hd

Quote Originally Posted by Oneal07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They should. . .Small Market teams should invest in that technology
    It isn't the teams. It is the broadcast entities.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wish. The Colts do it. The Pacers need to get with the times.

Quote Originally Posted by ThA HoyA View Post
    thanks guys for all the replies...im really hoping so because im still thinking about league pass and i really didnt enjoy the picture so much last year...but i guess im just spoiled from nfl sunday ticket having all those games in hd
    Was quite a bit grainy wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Was quite a bit grainy wasn't it?
    yea especially when you are watching other channels in hd then flip over to it its like wtf....i mean but thats the only way to keep up... i found this and after reading it. it seems that only via cable or local channels.

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/7399210

FSN Midwest, FSN Indiana and FSN Kansas City televise select local and national shows and games in crystal-clear High Definition on FSN HD. FSN HD games are simulcast from your primary FSN channel but have better clarity and a widescreen format. FSN HD broadcasts games in the 720p format. For more about FSN HD, click here:

The following cable and satellite providers offer FSN HD in the FSN Midwest, FSN Indiana and FSN Kansas City viewing areas. Contact your cable or satellite provider to find out if FSN HD is available in your area.

This list will be updated frequently with new FSN HD providers.
    CABLE
    AT&T
    HD: 1748 (some games may not be available in HD on AT&T)

Charter
    St. Louis, Warrensburg, outlying areas
    HD: channel 792
    Comcast
    Independence, Mo.; Indianapolis; Olathe, Kan.
    HD: channel 201
    Cox
    Kansas
    HD: channel 640
    Coons Rapids Municipal Utilities
    Iowa
    HD: channel 79-1
    Everest
    Lenexa, Kan.
    HD: channel 649
    Fidelity
    Sullivan, Mo.
    HD: channel 261
    Insight
    Central Illinois
    HD: channel 929
    Iowa Network Services
    Des Moines
    HD: channel 219
    Mediacom
    Various cities
    HD: Des Moines: channel 832; central Missouri: 732
    New Wave
    Various cities
    HD: channel varies by city; check 210, 215, 310, 510 or 714
    St. Joseph NP&G
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    HD: channel 653
    Suddenlink
    Branson, Mo.
    HD: channel 1750
    Sunflower
    Lawrence, Kan.
    HD: TBD
    Time Warner
    Kansas City area
    HD: channel 1496
    U.S. Cable
    Hannibal
    HD: channel TBD
    SATELLITE
    Dish Network
    FSN Midwest HD: channel 418 or 5418 FSN Kansas City Royals HD telecasts: channel 9514, 9515 or 9516
    DirecTV
    FSN Midwest HD: channel 647-1
    FSN Kansas City Royals HD telecasts: 672-1 DirecTV HD subscribers must have newer quipment to view FSN Midwest HD games on 647-1:
    a) Receiver: H20, H21, HR20, or HR21
    b) Dish: Ka-Ku (5-LNB)
    c) B-Band converter module (a small, rectangular device that connects to the Satellite In port at the back of the receiver)
    Customers can check www.directv.com/hdcheck to verify they have proper equipment

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have FSN HD, and they never broadcast anything on it. Even when is says there is supposed to be something on like MLB or something it is just those colored vertical bars with a loud beeeeeeeeeeeeeep
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The requirement is that the HD equipment is being used in the arena for the game. I always thought that meant they didn't think the Pacers were worth investing in (or that TPTB decided not to pay Fox whatever amount extra it would take, since it's "team paid" rather than "network paid" coverage).
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I wish. The Colts do it. The Pacers need to get with the times.
    The only reason the "Colts" do it is because they're on National TV all the time. If it was WTTV they wouldn't be yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    The only reason the "Colts" do it is because they're on National TV all the time. If it was WTTV they wouldn't be yet.
    I wouldn't be too sure. With the OTA transition, if WTTV still broadcast any sporting events, I could see them making the switch. But since everything's on cable now, there's no incentive to do anything.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I've got NBA-LP through DirecTV (or should I say will have once again when the '08-09 NBA season starts) and there were a few Pacers games aired in HD last year on both FSN-MW/IN and on NBA-TV. You should be able to watch a few Pacers games in HD this upcoming season on either channel but mostly on NBA-TV.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Will pacers games be broadcasted in HD???

I spoke with one of the camera crew members today, he said that await an announcement regarding HD in September or October.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I spoke with one of the camera crew members today, he said that await an announcement regarding HD in September or October.
    thanks for the info...i know bigger market teams have all their games on league pass in hd...so hopefully the pacers do too cause ill be

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ThA HoyA View Post
    thanks for the info...i know bigger market teams have all their games on league pass in hd...so hopefully the pacers do too cause ill be
    To be honest, and the person agreed with me, we are not really a small market anymore. The only thing that would totally prevent us from being larger market is the lack of a Major League Baseball team. He stated that we are within the top-20 cities.

Also, he told me that the Fieldhouse did not have the necessary equipment yet to go HD on a regular basis. As all you should know is that for instance if ESPN or ABC were to broadcast from there it would be by using their own equipment and the Fieldhouse's cameras go into storage for a game.

But yes, expect to know something around Late September or October. This guy is a very reliable source since he works A/V with PS&E and FSN.

(We are also in a lot of the broadcast commercials for the game night specials, and that guy films it. It usually plays around halftime on FSN. )

To be honest, and the person agreed with me, we are not really a small market anymore. The only thing that would totally prevent us from being larger market is the lack of a Major League Baseball team. He stated that we are within the top-20 cities.
    Having a major league baseball team has absolutely nothing to do with whether we are a small or large market. In fact, if we were to have an MLB team, we would still be considered a small market, in all three leagues (NBA, MLB, NFL).

While our city population of around 750,000 (ca 2005) does put us 11th, that's somewhat misleading. We include a larger portion of our "metrolopolitan area" in that than many other, much larger markets. If you look at the Top 50 list at infoplease.com (ca 2005), you'll see cities like San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, Denver, Washington DC, Atlanta, and Miami all listed below us. St. Louis doesn't even make the list. All of these are much larger markets.

When you're talking about a market, you can't just include the city. You basically have to include the surrounding, supporting counties and areas that, while not officially incorporated, are actually part of the city. Those people who would Using the US Census Bureau's 2007 Estimates of Metropolitan Areas, Indianapolis' population grows to just under 1.6mm, however, Seattle goes to 3.3mm, Boston 4.5mm, Denver 2.5mm, DC 5.3mm, Atlanta 5.3mm, and Miami 5.4mm. St. Louis is 2.8mm, and San Francisco is 1.7mm, but that does not include the San Jose-Sunnyvale area, which has another 1.8, or the Oakland metro area, which has 2.5mm.

Under these metrics, the Indianapolis Metropolitan area is ranked closer to 34th. Indianapolis has a much smaller base to draw from naturally. To give you a perspective on the market limitations compared to many other cities, the entire population for the state of Indiana is only about 6mm people. When you consider that the northern third of the state just as likely, if not more, to throw their allegiance to Chicago, the fanbase from which an Indy team could draw from is much smaller than many NBA teams. In fact, that table I've listed only shows Charlotte (1.7), Memphis (1.2) Milwaukee (1.5), Oklahoma City (1.2), Utah (Salt Lake City, 1.1), and New Orleans (1.0) as smaller among NBA cities.

While Indianapolis is not a small town, by any stretch of the imagination, it is absolutely a small market in the context of the NBA, or in all major league sports. Again, it is not about the number of teams you have. It's about the size of the population from which you could reasonably be expected to draw support.
    Last edited by count55; 08-10-2008 at 08:36 AM.

The Corporate world is what really makes a market large or small. High residential population helps, but if you don't have a heavy corporate population then you're a small market. It's "business expense" vs. "remaining discretionary income".

Indianapolis is not a heavy-corporate market. The same companies get hit up for sponsorship and the top seats.

Also, he told me that the Fieldhouse did not have the necessary equipment yet to go HD on a regular basis. As all you should know is that for instance if ESPN or ABC were to broadcast from there it would be by using their own equipment and the Fieldhouse's cameras go into storage for a game.

But yes, expect to know something around Late September or October. This guy is a very reliable source since he works A/V with PS&E and FSN.

(We are also in a lot of the broadcast commercials for the game night specials, and that guy films it. It usually plays around halftime on FSN. )

It looked horrible horrible horrible on league pass last season. No way I would pay for it again. Comcast didn't show ANY of the games in HD. boo

Actually, if they aren't going to HD this year, how about they fix the existing equipment and/or find the cause of the awful look of the games on FSNI. At least on Directv they are extremely 'soft'. I suppose it could be Directv compressing the signal and causing it but I have a feeling that is only compounding a problem that has its root somewhere else. Garbage in, garbage out.

I've heard DISH people complaining about this too. What about people on cable? How do the games look on cable?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Every game on my league pass looked BAD. Like it was a compressed youtube video. I felt robbed. Not just Pacers games. Every game.

Mood

I understand where you are coming from but I don't think that it would be a great idea to invest a lot of money on new equipment if they won't broadcast in HD.

I had cable before DirecTV, and the picture was a little worse than it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Actually, if they aren't going to HD this year, how about they fix the existing equipment and/or find the cause of the awful look of the games on FSNI. At least on Directv they are extremely 'soft'. I suppose it could be Directv compressing the signal and causing it but I have a feeling that is only compounding a problem that has its root somewhere else. Garbage in, garbage out.

I've heard DISH people complaining about this too. What about people on cable? How do the games look on cable?

-Bball