Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Le' LeBron James?

  1. #1
    Resident Cyclist TripleThreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Deep in the armpit of Texas
    Posts
    140

    Default Le' LeBron James?

    he would STRONGLY consider playing overseas for the right price...

    If this becomes a trend, and players start to head overseas to play for more money, does that mean that the NBA will remove the salary cap, and allow teams to compete with the Euro clubs? If they did...you can bet your bottom dollar that the "small market" teams in the league today are done for, including the Pacers.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3520860

    Source: LeBron would consider European offer of $50 million a year or more
    By Chris Broussard
    ESPN The Magazine
    (Archive)
    Updated: August 5, 2008, 6:45 PM ET
    Comment
    Email
    Print
    Jay-Z and the New Jersey Nets? Mike D'Antoni and the New York Knicks?

    Heck, the Cleveland Cavaliers' strongest competition for LeBron James' long-term services could be the deep-pocketed new kid on the block -- Europe.




    James
    A person close to James said Tuesday that the Cavaliers' superstar would strongly consider playing overseas if he was offered a salary of "around $50 million a year."

    James' current contract expires after the 2009-10 season, and while several NBA teams are working to create salary cap space for his impending free agency, none could offer a contract beginning at even $20 million a year.

    The Russian team CSKA Moscow and the Greek team Olympiacos, which recently gave Josh Childress a contract approaching $30 million over three years, have already contacted James, according to the person close to him. The person added, however, that no monetary or contractual discussions have taken place.

    While $50 million a year seems outlandish, it is within the realm of possibility, considering the $250 million contract David Beckham received two years ago to join the MLS, the $33 million Michael Jordan was paid by the Chicago Bulls in 1997-1998, the strength of the euro in comparison to the dollar, and the fact that European clubs are not bound by a salary cap.

    While several NBA players have left the league this summer for more lucrative contracts in Europe, no stars have done so -- or even considered it. Joel Litvin, the NBA's president of league and basketball operations, said the league is not concerned about this developing trend.

    "I don't want to say it's much ado about nothing, but we think it's overblown a bit," Litvin said. "It's not something we're losing sleep over. "

    But losing a player of James' magnitude would be nothing short of a nightmare for the NBA.

    "For the most part, the league considers the players to be fungible products," an official from the National Basketball Players Association said. "But LeBron is one of the three or four players the league would definitely hate to lose. If a team lost him or Kobe [Bryant] to Europe, it would lose its mind. It would be devastating."

    But both Litvin and the NBPA official said they don't foresee anything -- even the loss of a superstar -- leading the NBA to eliminate the salary cap and thereby compete financially with the European teams.

    "It would be disappointing to lose one of our star players, but I have no concern at all about the best players playing anywhere but in the NBA for a long time to come," Litvin said. "I'd be surprised if one of our top players chose to go to Europe but if it did happen, there are many players who would step up and fill the void."

    The source close to James said he would play in Europe only for a year or two before returning to the NBA. He said James would view it as an opportunity to popularize the game and himself overseas. He added that James would not consider himself to be playing in the "minor leagues."

    "Not at all," the person said. "He believes those guys are pros also."

    The entire scenario falls in line with James' stated goals of becoming a billionaire and "global icon." But the representative from the players' association will have to see James in a European uniform before he believes it.

    "First of all, we don't know that there's going to be a $50 million offer," the official said. "And secondly, he wouldn't be able to accomplish over there the things that he wants to do over here, which are to win NBA championships, MVP awards, etc."

    But he would be filthy rich and a global icon.

    Chris Broussard is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

  2. #2
    Member Pacemaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    1,905

    Default Re: Le' LeBron James?

    WOW !!!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,630

    Default Re: Le' LeBron James?

    David Stern just **** his pants

  4. #4

    Default Re: Le' LeBron James?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    David Stern just **** his pants
    He'd probably conveniently raise the luxury tax threshold before this happened.

  5. #5
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,937

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Le' LeBron James?

    Yes, this was discussed on the Mike and Mike show (ESPN Radio).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    David Stern just **** his pants
    Yes, $50,000,000 is a lot to turn down considering that the NBA has caps on player salaries. Hell, I would **** myself as a fan of the league if one of it's superstars wanted to play elsewhere, for ANY reason!!!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  6. #6
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,451

    Default Re: Le' LeBron James?

    No man deserves that kind of money for playing basketball...or doing anything.

  7. #7
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,937

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Le' LeBron James?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He'd probably conveniently raise the luxury tax threshold before this happened.
    I don't see the small market teams like the Pacers, Kings, or Spurs sitting idle on that considering that the luxury tax is to protect those very franchises.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  8. #8

    Default Re: Le' LeBron James?

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No man deserves that kind of money for playing basketball...or doing anything.
    I know and I'll give LeBron his due, he's one of the top 3 NBA players at least, and hasnt reached his full potential, but no...NOBODY deserves that money.
    The eyes of the Granger are upon you.

  9. #9
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Le' LeBron James?

    If this was Fark, this story would get the obvious tag.

    And LeBron certainly deserves $50 million.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  10. #10

    Default Re: Le' LeBron James?

    Even if a Euro team paid him 25 million a year woudln't that be like making 50 million here? Considering that those teams pay the taxes for the players?

  11. #11
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,021

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Le' LeBron James?

    This is why the NBA should NOT try to tango with these Euro clubs.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  12. #12

    Default Re: Le' LeBron James?

    Quote Originally Posted by dgranger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know and I'll give LeBron his due, he's one of the top 3 NBA players at least, and hasnt reached his full potential, but no...NOBODY deserves that money.
    I disagree, you deserve every penny of your salary if you get someone to give it to you.

    Lebron already deserve that kind of money in Cleveland because if he didnt go there then it very well might have been the Cavaliers that moved to Oklahoma City.

  13. #13
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,937

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Le' LeBron James?

    Quote Originally Posted by CapnBruisin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree, you deserve every penny of your salary if you get someone to give it to you.
    Yep, I totally agree.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  14. #14
    Member #31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    1,811

    Default Re: Le' LeBron James?

    Well, 50.000.000$ is alot of freakin money.... in games he would have rather much fun aswell, averaging quadruple-doubles, that 1 year or 2 would be like a vacation for him here. You would have to be cold as ice to neglect that

  15. #15
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: Le' LeBron James?

    only $50 million? dude has a family to feed

    [yt]6yKtUYMPYFk[/yt]



    i never really considered lebron leaving the US but offers like this would be hard to turn down. one star ('star' ?) player that seems more likely to move to europe would be carmello -- the guy is all-world whenever the US is in international competition (at least the previous two summers) but not as consistently dominant in the association.

    it wouldn't be too large of a culture shock either to go to moscow -- the russian mob has a strict "no snitchin'" policy as well.
    This is the darkest timeline.

  16. #16
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Le' LeBron James?

    Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    it wouldn't be too large of a culture shock either to go to moscow -- the russian mob has a strict "no snitchin'" policy as well.
    In Russian prisons, your life story is written on your body. If you don't have tattoos, you don't exist.

    Spoiler Spoiler:
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


Similar Threads

  1. James White in ATL
    By Major Cold in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-03-2008, 06:54 PM
  2. LeBron to be on the cover of Time Magazine
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-27-2008, 11:59 AM
  3. James Jones going home to the Heat
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-10-2008, 03:19 AM
  4. James Jones opts out of Portland contract.
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-26-2008, 04:29 PM
  5. Erasmus James
    By bmac in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-28-2008, 11:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •