Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PF Situation

Default PF Situation

I do not know how the fellow Pacer People Feel on this; but I think that instead of picking up another PF via trade. We should play our cards out this year and see what is in the tank w/ Murphy, Foster, Shawne, Mc Roberts & Baston. Then draft one in the 2009 Draft. I like Tyler Smith of TENN & Earl Clark of Louisville. I really feel that by drafting Roy & acquiring Rasho The Pacers can play Foster & Murphy at PF. This is more their natural position.

Default Re: PF Situation

I think the chances are good that we don't have our PF of the future this year.

Which is really no big deal. We have some bigs who can do a solid job for this year.

With that said I would not mind adding another big to the rotation. Maybe someone who can score in the post.

I'm not to worried about the spot right now and I doubt management is either. I'm just anxious to see what this team can do this year and then go from there.

At the risk of speaking in typical GM cliche, if there's a chance to add someone at PF that will make the team better then do it, but this team won't die if they don't. I like the PF options at the moment (Murph, Foster, Baston). I agree that none of these are the PF of the future, so next year might be the year to seriously address that position.
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I don't exactly *like* our situation at power forward, but I think we could be worse off.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I do not know how the fellow Pacer People Feel on this; but I think that instead of picking up another PF via trade. We should play our cards out this year and see what is in the tank w/ Murphy, Foster, Shawne, Mc Roberts & Baston. Then draft one in the 2009 Draft. I like Tyler Smith of TENN & Earl Clark of Louisville. I really feel that by drafting Roy & acquiring Rasho The Pacers can play Foster & Murphy at PF. This is more their natural position.
    that's exactly my stance on the matter, I'm ok with our big rotation at this moment and would like to see what we have before making a run and tie our hands to some good but not great PFs. I was not for Okafor and not too high on Smith so this year is not the year in terms of free agency anyway. We could still manage some trades but it will erase all our efforts to get financial flexibility. Except if it's a no brainer deal I don't see it happening... Plus Memphis has almost lost all its inside presence in one year so we cannot expect such an offer from them

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    I don't exactly *like* our situation at power forward, but I think we could be worse off.
    I don't love it, but I sure don't DISLIKE it. Foster's quite solid, Murphy's decent half the time he's on the floor, Maceo's underrated, and McBob has "potential."

It won't win us any championships, but it also won't take shots away from our backcourt.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I am not opposed to a trade that makes the team better for the future, but I would not like to see them trade for a player just good enough to get into the playoffs next season. Unless it involves getting rid of Tinsley or freeing cap for future seasons.

The Pacers have 2 PF's in Murphy and Foster. Baston and McRoberts aren't anymore than 12-15 bench players. Both were gotten in trades in order to make salaries match, nothing else.

There is a chance if Tinsley isn't traded/bought out or the Pacers make a 2 for 1 trade that McRoberts won't even be a Pacer come the start of the season. With 16 players, someone will have to be cut, and it likely would be McRoberts. At 12-15 bench players, I'd rather go with McRoberts' youth and "P" over Baston. Besides Baston will be playing in Europe next year anyway.

I do not know how the fellow Pacer People Feel on this but I think that instead of picking up another PF via trade, we should play our cards out this year and see what is in the tank w/ Murphy, Foster, Shawne, Mc Roberts & Baston then draft one in the 2009 Draft. I like Tyler Smith of TENN & Earl Clark of Louisville. I really feel that by drafting Roy & acquiring Rasho The Pacers can play Foster & Murphy at PF. This is more their natural position.
    Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    I think the chances are good that we don't have our PF of the future this year.

Which is really no big deal. We have some bigs who can do a solid job for this year.

With that said I would not mind adding another big to the rotation. Maybe someone who can score in the post.

I'm not to worried about the spot right now and I doubt management is either. I'm just anxious to see what this team can do this year and then go from there.
    I tend to agree (see bold above) although I think TPTB would feel just a bit more comfortable going into the season knowing they had a player they knew would really own the PF spot. Right now, it's a matter of who will fight the hardest for the starting 4-spot. And although that player may be the "best of the bunch", he may not be among "the best (20 or so) there is" out there.

We gave up a good one. Therefore, I wouldn't blame TPTB necessarily for seeking to acquire another "good one" to replace him. Still, I'm willing to go into the season with what the team has and see just how well players like McRobert, Baston and even Murphy can do against guys like Bosh, Dirk and even KG. Let's not forget, Murphy has played the majority of his career at Center, but his natural position is PF. If he can bring back that aggressiveness he showed near the end of last season, I do think the Pacers will have anything to worry about from the 4-spot. It's Center that concerns me more.

Not that I don't think Foster, Nester and Hibbert can't handle the workload, but it's more a matter of who will be the 2nd-stringer, as well as who will emerge as the team's shot blocker. Both Hibbert and Baston (PF) have stated they plan to make defense a priority coming into next season. We shall see which of these two "own" the paint. But, boy would it be nice to see both of them have killer seasons on both sides of the ball.

Still, time will tell. Like I said, I'm not too worried about either the 4- or 5-spots...just nervous until I'm able to see which player truly emerges as the "heir apparent". If I were Bird/Morray I'd stand pat and see how things go near the Break.
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 08-04-2008 at 06:19 PM.

Sports Logo

This is what I am thinking as well..........I think that there is a need to get a better scoring Low-Post scoring PF......but I do not think that is a need that we MUST fix before the start of training camp. I would love to see how well our offense and 2nd chance shots that we take with a Big Man rotation of Murphy, Rasho, Foster and Baston/Shawne/Hibbert/McRoberts ( pick one ). My preference is to draft a PF next season and go from there....whereas my hope is that we resign either Rasho or Foster next season.

A future Frontcourt rotation of Murphy, Hibbert, whatever PF that we draft and Rasho ( or Foster ) would be fine with me.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I actually think Maceo could be a pleasant surprise.

Obviously there's something I'm not seeing, or he would be playing more, but it seemed like whenever he was on the court for us a few years back... he did good things.

He defended, hit mid range shots, had some sweet dunks.

Maybe he just does it in spurts, but I would like to see what he can do in the rotation

I agree. Our front court of Foster, Murphy, Rasho & Hibbert is miles better than last year's FC of Foster, Murphy & an injured JO.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    A future Frontcourt rotation of Murphy, Hibbert, whatever PF that we draft and Rasho ( or Foster ) would be fine with me.

Though I don't have all the answers or anything, this does not seem "fine" for me. I would prefer a PF who can do something offensively aswell as have an impact on the defensive end.

As of this moment we have mostly got Power Forwards who are good at either one side of the pitch. Now what we IMO need doesn't have to be an elite player, but he has to be atleast respectable at one end of the floor and decent to good at the other, otherwise we will lean too heavy (again just my personal opinion) on our backcourt and small forwards for offensive production and if two of our 5 probable impact players there (Ford, Jack, Rush, Dun Dun and Granger) will have a bad offensive day it pretty much astronomically increases our chances of losing the game.

It also makes it tougher for opponents to take a one way direction into breaking us down (for example constantly emphasizing perimeter defence making it hard for our most important offensive players to either work together or get good shots off or on the defensive end constant driving to the basket when one of our weaker defensive PF's is in the game).

When the opponent manages to stiffle our backcourt options from taking good shots it almost inevitably means our frontcourt players will get a little more room to operate from. Now in those circumstances you want a viable offensive option there and not a, and I really do like the guy on the court, Jeff Foster.

Now how to get a player like that... that is going to be tough, most likely. Might cost us one of our expirings, a pick or someone like Dunleavy. Depends on who it is we would target to decide if it would be worth it. We could also "gamble" somewhat and hope we have a decent PF fall to our lapse in the draft.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    Though I don't have all the answers or anything, this does not seem "fine" for me. I would prefer a PF who can do something offensively aswell as have an impact on the defensive end.

As of this moment we have mostly got Power Forwards who are good at either one side of the pitch. Now what we IMO need doesn't have to be an elite player, but he has to be atleast respectable at one end of the floor and decent to good at the other, otherwise we will lean too heavy (again just my personal opinion) on our backcourt and small forwards for offensive production and if two of our 5 probable impact players there (Ford, Jack, Rush, Dun Dun and Granger) will have a bad offensive day it pretty much astronomically increases our chances of losing the game.

It also makes it tougher for opponents to take a one way direction into breaking us down (for example constantly emphasizing perimeter defence making it hard for our most important offensive players to either work together or get good shots off or on the defensive end constant driving to the basket when one of our weaker defensive PF's is in the game).

When the opponent manages to stiffle our backcourt options from taking good shots it almost inevitably means our frontcourt players will get a little more room to operate from. Now in those circumstances you want a viable offensive option there and not a, and I really do like the guy on the court, Jeff Foster.

Now how to get a player like that... that is going to be tough, most likely. Might cost us one of our expirings, a pick or someone like Dunleavy. Depends on who it is we would target to decide if it would be worth it. We could also "gamble" somewhat and hope we have a decent PF fall to our lapse in the draft.

Regards,

Mourning
    I would love to get a PF that is an effective Offensive threat and a decent Defensive player on the other end of the court....but I doubt that we can find one for relatively cheap in the FA market next season...nor could we trade for one with any of our Expiring Contracts.

I don't know what the answer is short of drafting one next season.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by DgR View Post
    Our front court of Foster, Murphy, Rasho & Hibbert is miles better than last year's FC of Foster, Murphy & an injured JO.
    Yep. I love JO, but we definitely have a more consistent frontcourt now than last year. Granger and Dunleavy should be just as good, and the PG spot should be dramatically better. We should be ok.***

Moving Murph/Tins should be the team's priority, not shooting for the moon on a PF.

Besides, what are we giving up to get him?

*** And by "ok" I mean "ready to let the guys get a year of experience, try to make the playoffs, get a decent pick next year, and get a year closer to getting a couple bad contracts off the books.
    Last edited by Anthem; 08-04-2008 at 08:25 PM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I realize it's pi$$ing in the punchbowl for some to say this, but I think we improved our frontcourt when we traded JO. Whether you want to call it addition by subtraction or look at the addition of Rasho and the potential of Hibbert.

I think not having JO will help with chemistry- Gone are the days of pampering a soft, oft-injured, me-first player with a superstar contract. It simply cannot be good for team morale to have a player not practicing, yet playing games, nor a player demanding the ball yet rarely delivering all the while proclaiming himself the leader and talking of 'dominating' and All-Star appearances... as soon as he heals...

JO did take charges, I'll give him that. Shot blocking is typically an overrated defensive stat that can point to flaws elsewhere. Those two things caused JO's defense to be overrated IMHO. If JO blocks out in a Toronto Raptor uniform it will be the first box out of his career.

Not having JO will make the Pacers a team easier to coach and harder to defend. Whether OBrien takes advantage of that or continues with a spray and pray hurry up offense is another question.

I therefore agree with the OP's premise that we aren't in any real need to make a desperation move for a PF considering where we are right now. Unless a move presents itself to make us drastically better, I'm not sure what good a marginal addition to the FC would do right now. It's quite some time to the season opener, and it's longer than that to the trade deadline. And there's a draft and a whole new offseason next summer for us to address weaknesses based on actual observations.

I'd like to see the team focus on the important stuff.... like sending Tinsley packing at all costs.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I think we improved our frontcourt when we traded JO.
    I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I tell you!

Enjoy your time at PD!

Im trying to think of all the PF's JUST IN THE EAST that will burn us..JO,Randolph,Brand,Beasley,Emeka..im sure ive missed some.

We should probably do something.But I dont think there is much we can do.
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Yep. I love JO, but we definitely have a more consistent frontcourt now than last year. Granger and Dunleavy should be just as good, and the PG spot should be dramatically better. We should be ok.***

Moving Murph/Tins should be the team's priority, not shooting for the moon on a PF.

Besides, what are we giving up to get him?

*** And by "ok" I mean "ready to let the guys get a year of experience, try to make the playoffs, get a decent pick next year, and get a year closer to getting a couple bad contracts off the books.

***Unless, of course, we can do an S&T for Carl Landry at a really, big long-term contract.

Greg Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    ***Unless, of course, we can do an S&T for Carl Landry at a really, big long-term contract.
    If we could substantially front-load the contract I'd be fine with a S&T using Murphy.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Id really like to add Landry, because I feel he could be the future...but it wont happen. Im not too excited, but Im fine with our situation going into the season. Anybody think we might run some plays with Rush at the 2, Dun at the 3, and Danny at the 4? That would give that spot some production...lose the boards...but get some points.
    The eyes of the Granger are upon you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Im trying to think of all the PF's JUST IN THE EAST that will burn us..JO,Randolph,Brand,Beasley,Emeka..im sure ive missed some.
    That Kevin Garnett guy isn't bad.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Wallace ain't bad.
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

I think we may see Rasho at the PF off and on, with Foster and Hibbert holding down the Center spot.

Rasho is by no means a big time scorer, but he has a nice mid-range game and can defend pretty well.

I still think we'll see Rush, Dunleavy, and Granger at the SG, SF, PF spots off and on.

I'm really looking forward to this upcoming season. We have 3 solid PGs in my opinion. I know a lot of you don't like Dun Dun at the 2, but I'm a huge Dunleavy fan, and if he continues to shoot well, it'll work out fine. Granger will hopefully continue to improve. I think Murph may have a decent year, and we've got some depth at center.

I think Quis will be better seeing that he won't have to play PG at all. Brandon Rush will be a bonus because he can score, but more importantly, he can come in a defend at the 2.

If we don't make a move, we'll need Shawne, Maceo, or McRoberts to step up at the backup PF role..... I still think we'll make some type a move to add depth there

I think we'll be a 7th seed, with a lot of upside and flexibilty this trade deadline and summer