Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: We can talk about Artest not showing up for the exit interview now....

Default We can talk about Artest not showing up for the exit interview now....

I had heard this before but couldn't talk about it.

Ok, let's cut right to the chase. The sources that told me this (& BTW it was more than one) told me right up front that this was not a little incident. Bird say's in the star that he doesn't care, from what I've heard the same cannot be said for Walsh.

From what I was told not only did Artest not show up for the meeting, he refused to return phone calls to the team. But yet he could make a radio interview.

Remember all of that talk of behind the scenes stuff, this is some of it. BTW, it's not all of it.

I know a lot of you love Ron, but I think you might want to prepare yourself.

This is partially why I've been trying to make ideas where Al didn't leave, because I'm not 100% sure he will be gone. I'm not saying he won't be, but then again....

Here is the part from the star article today.

Artest skips meeting

Ron Artest skipped his postseason meeting with Bird, drawing a fine from the team.

Artest said he didn't consider the conversation necessary.

"There was nothing to talk about," he said. "We lost."

Bird said at least one other player failed to meet with him.

"There were a couple of guys who didn't show up," he said, declining to reveal identities. "It don't bother me. People handle things differently. If guys don't do what they're supposed to do, they get fined."

Artest spent Monday in New York, conducting a round of radio and television interviews and an online chat with ESPN. He also planned to complete a compact disc he is producing by the three-woman singing group Allure.

He said it is scheduled for release in September.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: We can talk about Artest not showing up for the exit interview now....

First we can assume the other player was Kenny Anderson, or at least I can. Secondly, we can assume ROn is frustrated with the offense. Third we can assume Ron is gone. Period. You don't blow-off Larry Bird. SOme of his comment of late made it sound like he fully expected to be back next year. So I am guessing that this is just some of that immaturity thingie he has a "problem" with. Well, sorry but I think the Pacer brass has a thingie about whho is in charge.

Say good-bye to Ron.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Default Re: We can talk about Artest not showing up for the exit interview now....

I also believe that Bird willl have little patience for this type of bahavior. I also think Ron will be traded. I have been thinking this for some time. I also wonder if the Artest's migraines may have been a smokescreen for other personal issues.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm predicting right now that if we lose Ron we will be giving up too many points next year.

We'll be the Lakers of the East, decent scoring except when we're defended strongly and an inability to prevent scoring by other teams.

Perfect way to design a team to lose to this year's champions.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

I'm saying this now. We lose Ron, we won't go to the finals. With or without Tracy.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

debohstheman

it really sucks that ron has to be a dumbass every now and then

i absolutely love the guy....great heart...great effort...great talent
    he is my favorite player in the entire NBA....
    obviously we do not know what is going on behind the scenes....but it appeared to everyone that his behavior improved 100% from the year before....

im hoping there is a way to patch up this latest incident (missing the exit interview)...and keep ron on the team

his play elevates the play of the others on the court....something that very few people are capable of doing.....

im hoping LB and DW will find a way to motivate him to behave and go to the damn team meetings like everyone else

I have to admit Ron's actions the past month have been troublesome.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Well I hope we don't trade him just for this. Is this a big deal. In and of itself, no, I think Shaq has missed the final meeting for 7 straight years.

Add this in to the missed practices in the Pistons series and some other things, well, not sure what is going on with Ron

sweabs

Definitely dissapointing news to say the least.

Ron is my favourite player as well because I love his intensity and work-ethic...but when he does stupid things like this I just want to be able to find him and say "You play in the NBA!!! This is a dream come true for most people - take advantage of the moment - don't screw thing up. You have all the talent in the world".

I am just hoping that Larry & Donnie continue to look at Ron as a project in terms of his behaviour, because skill-wise, he will only continue to get better. He is an integral part of this team's make-up, and if he were to leave - I have to agree with what others have said...there will be no Finals appearance by the Pacers.

Well I hope we don't trade him just for this. Is this a big deal. In and of itself, no, I think Shaq has missed the final meeting for 7 straight years.
    Yes, we don't trade him for this. I really don't think so should trade him period.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Yes, we don't trade him for this. I really don't think so should trade him period.
    You guys don't listen, do you? :

PacerStud

It's becoming more evident that Ron still has issues. Like anything else, you minimize your losses and move on. Almost every NBA coach/GM thinks that HE can be the one to control <insert trouble child here>. Migraines, home issues, jacking up an ugly 3 completely out of the offense, flipping people off, pulling down an opponents shorts (WTF ??). I wouldn't miss that. His value is high right now. Take advantage of it.

The Pacers have a history for greasing the squeeky wheel. And in the past, the have rewarded such behaivor by shipping the malcontent to a rather *****ty situation. I would say Orlando qualifies for that. And if a 3rd team gets involved - Chicago isn't contending anytime soon either. They ask - the Pacers oblige.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Like we talked about last week, its his pattern of selfish or immature behavior. Its not one individual incident. Each incident adds up, but some of you can't see the forest because you're so busy making excuses for all the trees that are in the way.

Keep making excuses for him... and you'll get to keep making excuses for him.

I'm saying this now. We lose Ron, we won't go to the finals. With or without Tracy.
    It makes just as much sense to say that if Ron is on the Pacers next season, we won't go to The Finals, regardless of who else is on the roster.

Its not beyond the range of reasonableness that he's just as disruptive to the Pacers behind the scenes as he is to an opponent on the court.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Tens of teams have won NBA championships without Ron Artest on the roster and others will do so in the future. This team is bigger than one player.

If we wind up with a quality player in his own right when we lose Ron, so be it. I'll defer to the judgement of the Pacers brass on this one. They know much better than we do what is going on.

<nasty horrible words I'm too much of a midwest boy to bring myself to say in mixed company>!

You guys don't expect much, do you?

Take a player who was the poster boy for problems for a full year.
    The next year that player cleans up the on-court act but still has issues that need to be worked out.

I guess the only solution would be to dump ... Rasheed Wallace, who was the linchpin of the Pistons' success.

On a scale from 1 to Kobe, these issues with Ron rate about a 3.

The prospect of having JO, Ron, and T-Mac on the floor next year makes me need to take a cold shower.

The prospect of JO and T-Mac without Ron (or an equivalent defender like Bowen, I'll give in that much) makes me want to bang my head against a Lakers poster.

Did ANYONE not just finish watching a 2-superstar-with-no-supporting-cast-and-no-defense-team get mutilated?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

You're basing that on what? This one incident? Read Jay's above post again.

By the way, brilliantly put, Jay.

geekman

Why do we know that Artest skipped the meeting, but not the other player? Is Pacer's management preparing the fans for an Artest trade by leaking this? Hmmmmmm....

Why do we know that Artest skipped the meeting, but not the other player? Is Pacer's management preparing the fans for an Artest trade by leaking this? Hmmmmmm....
    Because Ron is a story.
    BillS

I think what makes the incident worse is that he spent an entire day promoting himself on ESPN. No time to return a phone call your employer but plenty of time to spend with the media.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

You know, I'll take somebody who screws up occasionally and takes things too much to heart but leaves it all on the court over someone who seems to say the right things but can't find his game with both hands and a flashlight or else doesn't seem to care.

We gave Bender 5 years, he hasn't done diddly. Don't you think we could give Ron one more?
    BillS

You know, I'll take somebody who screws up occasionally and takes things too much to heart but leaves it all on the court over someone who seems to say the right things but can't find his game with both hands and a flashlight or else doesn't seem to care.

We gave Bender 5 years, he hasn't done diddly. Don't you think we could give Ron one more?
    I guess that would be okay if I wasn't the one dealing with Ron's BS. This incident isn't the first time Ron's been disrespectful to Donnie and Larry this season. It's the only one you've read about. I don't know how many times you'd allow that, but Donnie and Larry are no BS kind of guys. I believe it's one too many.

I'll defer to the judgement of the Pacers brass on this one. They know much better than we do what is going on.
    I keep going back to the above comments, looks like I'll have to do that also.

One comment........let's say we trade Ron and Bender for Mcgrady.

Al still won't be happy, he likely still won't start, although I guess T-Mac could start at shooting guard. But then where does that put Fred, you can't have Regg and Fred both coming off the bench as shooting guards.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

..........although I guess T-Mac could start at shooting guard
    What else would he play? He's about as natural a shooting guard as there is. And he definitely isn't a PG, SF, PF, or C.
    Why don't you think he could play SF?

I tend to think he might be better defensively at SF than SG.

Willing to listen...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

This is disturbing. If this all wasn't a snowball rolling down a hill it wouldn't be so bad... but it is. It isn't one lone incident. Coming off some questionable play at the end of the season it also wasn't the time for something like this. Not returning calls just makes things worse.

Backaches.... migraines... those things all get called into question with Ron.

You'd think he'd learn. But then you'd think he would've learned a long time ago.

If anything, Artest NEEDED to make this meeting to clear the air and show where his head was at. It appears we have learned that anyway.... his head is up his a$$.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I guess that would be okay if I wasn't the one dealing with Ron's BS. This incident isn't the first time Ron's been disrespectful to Donnie and Larry this season. It's the only one you've read about. I don't know how many times you'd allow that, but Donnie and Larry are no BS kind of guys. I believe it's one too many.
    Let me figure this out. If Donnie (or Larry since he has the rep to command the respect, or JO because he has the relationship) goes to Ron and says "Either shape up here and be part of a championship caliber team or end up in Orlando or back in Chicago", you really think Ron is incapable of making the same type of effort to continue to improve that he did last year? You also think Ron won't honor a committment?

The BS here is ego BS, and the place to start showing that ego has no place in a championship team is at the top. If Bird or Walsh get all huffy over Ron dissing them, then it's still all about ego. I really would expect them to put it in terms of the team.

Now, there may be more crap going on in the background, and maybe Ron is getting dissatisfied for some reason. Maybe it can't be worked out. All I'm saying is even WITH all that he's more valuable here than he would be on another team unless we get someone at least close to him in defensive prowess. We can't let these kind of issues cause us to discount what he brings to the table and forget to replace them.

Geez, it's not like he tried to choke Carlisle during practice or simply doesn't show up on a regular basis without letting anyone know where he is.
    BillS