Thread: Donaghy sentenced to 15 months in prison in gambling scandal

Default Donaghy sentenced to 15 months in prison in gambling scandal

NEW YORK -- Disgraced NBA referee Tim Donaghy was sentenced to 15 months in prison Tuesday after pleading guilty last year to taking thousands of dollars in payoffs from a professional gambler for inside betting tips.

The sentencing of Donaghy closes a chapter in a scandal that convulsed the NBA, which has angrily denied Donaghy's claim that corruption among referees runs deeper.

Donaghy's lawyer asked the judge for probation. He had faced up to 33 months in prison, but the judge gave him credit for his cooperation.

Folding his arms but showing no other emotion, the 41-year-old Donaghy apologized to the court. "I brought shame on myself and my family," he said.

Donaghy pleaded guilty last August to conspiracy to engage in wire fraud and transmitting betting information through interstate commerce for taking payoffs from a professional gambler for inside tips on games.

Donaghy received a 15-month prison sentence for each count, but the judge ruled the sentences would be served concurrently.

Last week, two of Donaghy's former high school classmates were sentenced to more than a year in prison for their roles in the scheme.

James Battista, a professional gambler and admitted drug addict, got 15 months in prison for making bets based on inside tips.

Donaghy Timeline
    June '07: FBI contacts NBA to discuss alleged betting probe
    July '07: Resigns from NBA, investigated as part of organized-crime probe in New York
    Aug. '07: Pleads guilty to two felony charges alleging he took cash payoffs from gamblers and bet on games himself
    June '08: Claims highly controversial Game 6 of the Lakers-Kings 2002 playoff series was affected by actions of 2 of 3 referees who worked the game
    July 29, 2008: Sentenced to 15-month prison term (had faced up to 33 months) and three-year term of supervised release

Thomas Martino, the scheme's middleman, was sentenced to a year and one day for paying the referee thousands of dollars for the tips. The three men attended school together in Springfield, Pa.

The league had demanded nearly $1.4 million in restitution. But the judge last week set the restitution at $217,266, to be paid jointly by the three defendants.

"Though we believe no sentence would ever be able to repair or justify the damage caused by this criminal and scoundrel, we are glad to finally put this behind us," said Lamell McMorris, spokesperson for the National Basketball Referees Association.

Donaghy also was sentenced to a three-year term of supervised release, on the condition that he receive mental health treatment for his gambling addiction.

Donaghy's defense attorney asked that Donaghy be sent to a federal prison camp in Florida, near his family.

"We anticipate that the judge's sentencing decision, together with the changes we have made to our referee operations staff, will enable us to continue with the improvements we are making to our anti-gambling rules, policies and procedures," NBA commissioner David Stern said in a statement. "There is little comfort to be gained from the mandatory prison sentence, especially as it affects Mr. Donaghy's children and their mother, but hopefully the healing process can begin in earnest for all."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3509440

Default Re: Donaghy sentenced to 15 months in prison in gambling scandal

I believe Tim 100% that this corruption runs deeper.

I believe 100% if Ron Artest was on the Lakers or Knicks he would never have such a stern punishment from David Stern. The NBA favors the big market teams.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I believe 100% if Ron Artest was on the Lakers or Knicks he would never have such a stern punishment from David Stern. The NBA favors the big market teams.
    I agree 100%. Excellent post.

WOW, only 15 months! I just read the last day or so that they were anticipating him getting close to 3 years. I'm absolutely shocked at him only receiving 15 months!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    WOW, only 15 months! I just read the last day or so that they were anticipating him getting close to 3 years. I'm absolutely shocked at him only receiving 15 months!
    Cause he snitches. It's the only way to get less time.
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Oneal07 View Post
    Cause he snitches. It's the only way to get less time.
    Yeah, I'm wondering if they'll have to put him in protective custody. This dude started ratting people out as soon as he possibly could.

This is just a typical sentence. Hell, people murdering other people will get 15 months.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Just a thought as I take a brief break from my busy workday.

Ok, so we know that Tim alleges that the NBA influences the refs to "help certain teams". he alleges that the Sacramento v. Lakers game 6 was influenced. We know Tim didn't work that game. So he is getting it second hand.

Following this logic to the end - how come Mr. Tim doesn't just claim that he personally was "influenced" by the NBA to help certain teams. He only claims other refs were influenced. I mean if the NBA did it once then surely they did it more than once, surely TD felt the pressure to help teams, why didn't he claim that he was pressured by the NBA himself to make certain calls.

Am I missing something here.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 07-29-2008 at 09:16 PM.

I suggest everyone reads this.

This is just his intro. Click the link for the full article.

Roland Beech
    82games.com

http://www.82games.com/lakerskingsgame6.htm

Reviewing the calls: Lakers-Kings Game 6

by Roland Beech, Founder 82games.com

There's been a lot of talk about this next game... maybe way too much talk.

A couple of years back I did an extensive breakdown of the referee calls in Mavs-Heat game five of the NBA Finals. Along with being a popular article, it led to frequent emails requesting I review other specific games in a similar fashion, notably the "infamous" game six of the 2001-2002 playoffs between the Lakers and the Kings.

Now though the stakes are different -- the NBA's had to deal with a full blown ref scandal, and the original bad seed Tim Donaghy isn't done yet. Not content with pleading guilty to betting on games he officiated, he recently alleged that the NBA had two "company men" work the Lakers-Kings game and make calls that would help the Lakers win and set up a Game 7.

David Stern had this to say: "You can watch it, you can look at it again, and you could see what we call the correct, incorrect and noncall incorrect. … My guess is it won't be pretty, but it won't be dishonest and it won't be illegal. Of that I assure you."

All right David, I'm game. Let's go to the videotape.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't really think that jail time is worth it as a punishment. What is he going to learn while in jail?

I in no part am defending Tim, but I really think that there needs to be some kind of lesson provided to anyone else that decides to follow Donaghy's footsteps.

At the moment, I have no clue of what kind of punishment he deserves, but this needs to be able to send a message to the others.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    At the moment, I have no clue of what kind of punishment he deserves, but this needs to be able to send a message to the others.
    I like where your head is at. Yeah...a deterrent. Something that will send a message. It has to be something that he really won't enjoy though and something that will teach him what he did was unacceptable behavior. That's definitely what we need. Something reserved exclusively for criminls who do things society objects to. Hmmmm. But what? Wait! I think I've got it! How about jail? And maybe, I'm just spitballing here, a large monetary fine too. It's crazy...I know. But it may just work!
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Yep, and many people share your feelings.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    I like where your head is at. Yeah...a deterrent. Something that will send a message. It has to be something that he really won't enjoy though and something that will teach him what he did was unacceptable behavior. That's definitely what we need. Something reserved exclusively for criminls who do things society objects to. Hmmmm. But what? Wait! I think I've got it! How about jail? And maybe, I'm just spitballing here, a large monetary fine too. It's crazy...I know. But it may just work!
    Yeah, losing money especially in a position that he was in just doesn't seem like a big problem. When Belichek was fined for the NE/Jets spy game, it was like, "Oooh...a couple of dollars? If it's only going to cost that much let's do it again sometime!"

Penalties like this really are more like a slap on the wrist. "*Slap!* Don't do that!"

The only way for the NBA to show that this is unnacceptable is to push harsher punishments other than a vacation in a low-security prison.

Last edited by duke dynamite; 07-29-2008 at 07:24 PM.

How about jail?
    Prison, actually.

There's a difference.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post

I agree.
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Prison, actually.

There's a difference.
    What is the major difference? Both are human confinement, jail for a short period and prison for longer durations. Jails usually lack amenities prisons do but other then that, what is the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31 View Post
    What is the major difference? Both are human confinement, jail for a short period and prison for longer durations. Jails usually lack amenities prisons do but other then that, what is the difference?
    You've got most of them. Visitation rights are VERY different. Jails tend to be transitional, so you'll change roommates/cells more frequently. In prison, it's all about routine so stuff is kept as stable as possible.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Heard one of ESPN's legal guys, Lester Munson, on the radio last
    night opining on the sentence. He said he thought Donaghey
    basically got screwed by the judge. He said that, given the
    degree to which D rolled over immediately (apparently he
    went to the FBI with a ton of evidentiary records prior to
    being asked for them) and helped the FBI nail his accomplices,
    he should have gotten the shortest sentence and more like
    6-8 months vs the 15 months (the other two guys got 1 yr +
    1 day and 15 months).

He said he got the 15 mos due to Stern hiring a battery of
    lawyers with prosecutorial experience in that courthouse who
    lobbied the judge long and hard to drop the hammer on
    Doghnahey.

Not defending the guy at all. I could care less what his sentence
    was. Just passing along LM's take fwiw.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I suggest everyone reads this.

This is just his intro. Click the link for the full article.

Roland Beech
    82games.com

http://www.82games.com/lakerskingsgame6.htm
    An excellent article and lots of work involved. I'd like to see what the folks with ref experience come up with, but well done here.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh