Thread: Will Brown call it quits?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Will Brown call it quits?

In the postgame press conference he just said he would evaluate everything after the olympics and likely stay on in some capacity.

If Brown retires, the NBA is OURS.

Default Re: Will Brown call it quits?

No, if sheed resigns...no he won't retire

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If I was Larry I'd retire and spend more time with the wife.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

sweabs

Exactly what I was thinking!

I mean - DAMN - how old is she??? I thought Larry was my Grandpa's age!!!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good call Hoop. Me too.

Mrs. Brown you've got a lovely .....whatever.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Yep...I saw her and was like "Larry's got a hot daughter"

I don't want to know how old she is...I am only 19 and that might make me puke to hear she is 50 or something.

I believe Brown is 62 or 63... obviously his wife is not. ...Or else she is well preserved.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

sweabs

Yep...I saw her and was like "Larry's got a hot daughter"

I don't want to know how old she is...I am only 19 and that might make me puke to hear she is 50 or something.
    Perhaps a new category, the GILF can come into play if that were the case.

I believe Brown is 62 or 63... obviously his wife is not. ...Or else she is well preserved.

-Bball
    Or well "editted."
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Larry Brown is 63 , he doesn't look that old . I would guess his wife is atleast 20 years or maybe more his junior.

Mood

IIRC they have a fairly young child.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

There are about six million reasons why Larry Brown won't quit.

Mood

IIRC there were about that many reasons we wouldn't fire IT too.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

I dunno he didn't seem to positive or sure about his furture in detriot , he got his ring and that might be enough , I am sure he would love to spend time with his mother who is 99 before she passes and he has a lovely wife and kids.

Prior to the game Larry's brother didn't think Larry would retire....

Mike Berardino
    Back to recent columns

Email story
    Print story

RECENT COLUMNS
    BERARDINO: Malone, Ford believe in bygones
    Jun 15, 2004

BERARDINO: ‘Sheed’s good cancels out bad
    Jun 14, 2004

Reds making the right pitch
    Jun 13, 2004

BERARDINO: Milicic waits for his turn
    Jun 12, 2004

Motown sound? L.A.'s purple haze
    Jun 11, 2004

Mike Berardino
    BERARDINO: Brown Sheds a heavy weight
    Published June 16, 2004

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. · Rasheed Wallace has been playing for Larry Brown only these past four months, but he already has this description for his widely respected coach:

Pound for pound.

Partly, this is because of Brown's initials. But the larger meaning is drawn from boxing, as in "pound for pound, the best" in his profession.

Tuesday night, thanks to Wallace and the rest of the Detroit Pistons, Brown finally got the crown to go with it.

And he didn't even have to lay a glove on Lakers coach Phil Jackson to claim it. Not that most of the hoops world wouldn't have enjoyed that immensely.

On his 10th trip to the NBA Finals, Jackson finally lost one of these things. A 100-87 crushing at the rollicking Palace ended the series in five quick games.

It also brought a merciful close to one of the biggest flops in modern sports: the puffed-up, overblown, too-selfish Lakers. So much for those four future Hall of Famers equaling a fourth title in five years.

"We've just got to play the right way," Brown said before Game 5. "We've got to play harder than them. We've got to share the ball. We've got to defend and rebound."

The Pistons then went out and did all those unglamorous things. Again.

History will probably view this result as an upset. It shouldn't. For five straight games, the Pistons controlled the tempo, forced the adjustments, attacked the basket, avoided silly mistakes and gradually forced the Lakers to implode.

Brown's strategizing had a lot to do with that. Not that he'd ever take the credit.

Where Big Chief Triangle, as Jeff Van Gundy famously called Jackson, comes across as smug and arrogant and self-serving, Brown plays the humble card without any visible effort.

Where Jackson has had the immense good fortune to coach superstars such as Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant, Brown has had to play psychotherapist to Allen Iverson, Derrick Coleman, Michael Ray Richardson and Stanley Roberts.

Where Jackson moans about the officiating and demands "a fair shake" and acts as though ultimate victory is his preordained right, Brown correctly points out it's players, not calls, that determine outcomes.

No wonder even the great Red Auerbach was openly rooting for Brown's Pistons to keep Jackson from winning title No. 10. (Preserving Red's place in the record book might have factored in there, too.)

Presented the notion he was the sentimental favorite in this high-profile coaching showdown, Brown did what he often does at such moments.

He bit his lower lip. He shook his head. He shrugged. He spoke softly. He exuded respect for his foe.

"I don't know about that," he said before Tuesday's clincher. "I mean, if people don't pull for Phil, it's for the wrong reasons."

Maybe so. But when has being wrong ever felt this right?

Brown only recently started carrying a cell phone, and already, he said, it was overflowing with good-luck messages. The man has made many friends in his 32 years as a coach, college and pro.

Tuesday that extended network of supporters was pulling hard for a Pistons victory. They were praying this ego-free team of castoffs and overachievers would give Brown the one thing missing from his Hall of Fame resume: an NBA title.

At 63 he becomes the oldest coach to lead an NBA champion. He's also the first coach to win an NCAA Tournament (Kansas, 1988) and an NBA title.

Sure, Brown fell into an opportune situation in his first year with the ready-made Pistons. For that he can thank Bad Boy-turned-exec Joe Dumars, not to mention Iverson, whose petulance finally drove him away.

But no one can suggest Brown didn't pay his dues. The man spent four years coaching in the ABA. He took the New Jersey Nets to the playoffs when nobody else could. He even took the Clippers to the playoffs -- twice.

In all Brown made eight pro stops and two in college. His incredible coaching journey took him through Charlotte and Denver and Westwood and the swamps of Jersey. It led him to Lawrence, Kan., and San Antonio and back to L.A. and on to Indianapolis, Philadelphia and now Detroit.

Pistons assistant Herb Brown was asked if winning the NBA title might prompt his kid brother to retire. Once he guides what's left of the Dream Team to an Olympic gold medal this summer, what will be left to accomplish?

"Retire?" the elder Brown positively chortled. "I think if he retired and he was driving by a schoolyard and there were kids outside playing, he'd stop to talk and get out and teach them. He ain't retiring. He's a basketball junkie."

And one of the best coaches ever. Pound for pound.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/c...fla-sports-col

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Larry's wife is about 35 or so.

Brown's situation is difficult to predict. Asked this week if winning an NBA title would change him, Brown quipped: "Might not be the same coach. I might be doing something else."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basket...sports-big-pix

Hmmmm

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Larry's wife is about 35 or so.
    That's probably close. I think he married her when he was the Pacers coach and she was young enough to be his daughter. I'm not knocking Larry in anyway, he had to find one young enough to teach "the right way".

She was at most of the games when he was here. I even talked to her a few times, she seemed like a nice Lady.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"