Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tinsley, frontcourt update

Default Tinsley, frontcourt update

"The slowest part of the NBA offseason is approaching.

There are several restricted free agents- Emeka Okafor, Josh Smith and Ben Gordon for example - that have yet to land new contracts, but most of the major offseason moves have already taken place.

The Pacers got their work done in a two-day period in late June.

They're still looking for a new home for point guard Jamaal Tinsley.

That matter may not be resolved until training camp starts in late September.

With that, I'll give you an update on a few tidbits.

--I talked to a person in the organization last week who said Tinsley continues to drop pounds. I still haven't been able to pinpoint the exact number of pounds Tinsley put on. I was told it was more than 20 late in the season.

Pacers president Larry Bird added new wrinkle into things last week when he said he doesn't believe in buying out contracts.

"I think these guys should earn their money. If you can't trade them, let them stay at home," he said on AM-1070. "We're in some situations here where the same people continue to get in trouble. We have to deal with it. We'll deal with it the way we think is appropriate."

A fellow beat writer and I got into a discussion about Tinsley last week. I threw out the notion of what if the Pacers can't find a taker for Tinsley and he's completely in shape by the start of training camp.

The writer said there's no way Tinsley can wear a Pacers uniform again.

I responded, "I don't see Tinsley wearing a Pacers uniform again, especially after some of the comments Bird and coach Jim O'Brien made in the past month, but Bird did say players should earn their money."
    http://www.prosportsdaily.com/commen...7-28-2008.html
    Im just glad hes out. From the article, its fair to assume that theres going to be some sort of shake up (considering that Tinsley wont be a Pacer and Bird doesnt beleive in buy outs)

Default Re: Tinsley, frontcourt update

Tinsley, frontcourt update

Indianapolis Star
    by Mike Wells

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...y_frontco.html
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Actually, this article is from the Indystar. It's Mike Wells latest blog:

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...y_frontco.html

Here's the rest of the article that's missing from above:

--Don't expect the Pacers to run out and sign a power forward just to add one to the roster.

The Pacers already have 16 players under contract and they don't want to go over the luxury tax.

The Pacers could use some help down low, but they're not against going into the season with their current frontcourt of Jeff Foster, Troy Murphy, Roy Hibbert, Maceo Baston, Josh McRoberts and Rasho Nesterovic.

Williams and Danny Granger can play power forward.

It wouldn't be surprising if O'Brien went with Granger, Mike Dunleavy, Brandon Rush, T.J. Ford and either Foster or Murphy in some games.

I'm still a believer that you need somebody that can score in the post unless you have Kobe Bryant or LeBron James on your team.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Can we get a link for this? It might be in the Star. };^)

Sports Logo

Bird's confidence in moving Tinsley is the one thing that perplexes me. If Bird thinks that Tinsley could be moved....then why hasn't it happened yet?

The answer ( that was suggested before ) could be that teams that have a platoon of quality PGs that they want to move are waiting for the "shoe to drop" with the Grizzlies and what they will do with their young PGs like Lowry ( more then likely ), Conley ( less then likely ) or even Crittenton ( who I don't even think is a PG ). Even FA PGs like Jason Williams are muddying the waters for teams that are looking for potential PGs to fill their roster.

But my guess is that one of the main reasons why Tinsley hasn't been moved yet is because of the "sweetner" that teams are asking for now.

Before the end of last season, Shawne was the likely "sweetner" that we would have reluctantly included as part of any trade that Tinsley was part of. But with Shawne's inability to stay out of PR trouble, it's becoming obvious that his value nor the interest in him isn't as great was before.

I'm guessing that the "sweetner" that opposing GMs are asking for is either Rasho or ( more then likely ) Foster since both are Expiring contracts that actually have some solid value and can contribute to any team trying to compete.

This raises the obvious question......if Rasho or Foster is the only "sweetner" that we will have to include to simply move Tinsley.....would you pull the trigger on a deal that would move Tinsley but at the cost of Rasho or ( more then likely ) Foster?

My gut reaction is emphatically no...not only cuz I am a very strong proponent of resigning Foster next offseason as one of the rotational Big Men that we have behind Murphy and ( eventually ) Hibbert...but I also want to simply let Rasho expire.

However, after thinking about it....I guess the more logical and rational response is a "maybe" depending on who which one we give up and what we are getting back in return for such a deal. At first I would have simply let Tinsley sit at the end of the bench before moving Foster. But then I realized that Rasho maybe an acceptable ( but slightly less palatable ) alternative to Foster as a rotational Big Man that we can afford.

I'm really on the fence on this. I am all for moving Tinsley for ANY player that has a comprable contract that doesn't kill whatever Financial flexiblility that we have over the next 3 seasons.......but I am beginning to realize that the only way that we can move him is if we include Rasho or Foster ( something that I DO NOT want to do ) as the "sweetner" to simply get rid of Tinsley.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Well, we can't do a deal involving Rasho with another player until after September 9th. He can be moved by himself, but you have to wait two months before you can package him.

The problem with Foster & Rasho as "sweeteners" is that they'd put the combined contracts between $12 & $15mm, so who would we be taking back with what kind of contracts? I actually think it's kind of unlikely that those are the guys people are wanting.

I think it's just more likely that there's really not much in the way of interest, at this point, or that there is a specific deal (Haslem) that we're holding out to see if we can't get.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

the sweetner would be a pick right?

Please no Tinsley and Rasho for Marbury.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear, Larry. Good work.

You move him or he sits at home, but you don't give him all of his money up front just to make him go away.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Well, we can't do a deal involving Rasho with another player until after September 9th. He can be moved by himself, but you have to wait two months before you can package him.

The problem with Foster & Rasho as "sweeteners" is that they'd put the combined contracts between $12 & $15mm, so who would we be taking back with what kind of contracts? I actually think it's kind of unlikely that those are the guys people are wanting.

I think it's just more likely that there's really not much in the way of interest, at this point, or that there is a specific deal (Haslem) that we're holding out to see if we can't get.
    maybe tinsley/rasho/williams for wally szerbiack (sp?) and a pick????

cleveland could be looking for a pg if delonte west goes elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by mrknowname View Post
    maybe tinsley/rasho/williams for wally szerbiack (sp?) and a pick????

cleveland could be looking for a pg if delonte west goes elsewhere
    In a heartbeat.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Again, this would not be my first choice, but I would do it. I am not in love with Wally as a player, we don't need him here. We have enough guys that can't play defense.

I am also excited to see what Rasho can do for us. But JT is pretty hard to move I guess, so we will have to take whatever we can get there.

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    the sweetner would be a pick right?

Please no Tinsley and Rasho for Marbury.
    There is no way Walsh is doing that deal. Why would he want Tinsley's contract when he's shedding salary? He can hold on to Starbury and let his 21 mil contract just expire after the 08-09 season. Walsh is smarter than to take Tinsley!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wonder if we could swing a trade like

Tins/Foster/Rasho/1st
    for
    Allen Iverson

There isn't a huge dropoff in the assist department from AI to Tins, and the Nuggets are definitely in cost-cutting mode... I wonder if we could work a deal similar to that?

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post

Tins/Foster/Rasho/1st
    for
    Allen Iverson

There isn't a huge dropoff in the assist department from AI to Tins, and the Nuggets are definitely in cost-cutting mode... I wonder if we could work a deal similar to that?
    Absolutely no!!

You are giving up your 2 experienced big men that can play "D".

Who is going to be the starting C? Hibbert? Who is going to be the b/u?

Who is going to be the b/u at PF behind Murph? Baston and McRoberts?

You'll be taking away PT for Rush to develop.

The idea is "team ball", not a player who has to shoot the ball 25-30 times a game.

On top of this, giving away a 1st for a 1 year rental of AI. No thanx.

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Tins/Foster/Rasho/1st
    for
    Allen Iverson

...there are no words.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tins/Foster/Rasho/1st
    for
    Allen Iverson

No, no no no no. On top of the reasons listed getting Iverson here certainly wouldn't help the image crisis the Pacers face.

Absolutely NO to getting rid of our big guys just to let Tinsley go. Why get rid of Foster and his gutty play, his rebounding, and his D? Not to mention that he's an expiring contract and therefore a valuable commodity. Heck, I'd rather buy out JT than do that. This is counter-productive thinking.

The same with Rasho. You keep him as our starting center this year as well as for his expiring contract. There is value here, folks!

Don't gut the team just to dump the tin man.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdl View Post
    Absolutely NO to getting rid of our big guys just to let Tinsley go. Why get rid of Foster and his gutty play, his rebounding, and his D? Not to mention that he's an expiring contract and therefore a valuable commodity. Heck, I'd rather buy out JT than do that. This is counter-productive thinking.

The same with Rasho. You keep him as our starting center this year as well as for his expiring contract. There is value here, folks!

Don't gut the team just to dump the tin man.
    yes expirings are pretty valuable, in a trade

u might be willing to buy out tinsley but its not your money. i'm sure the simons would rather have tinsley traded than to buy him out

Tins/Foster/Rasho/1st
    for
    Allen Iverson

That's maybe the funniest post of the year.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

So what exactly is the "update" here?

Enjoy your time at PD!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    That's exactly what I wanted to hear, Larry. Good work.

You move him or he sits at home, but you don't give him all of his money up front just to make him go away.
    Preach it brother.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    So what exactly is the "update" here?
    "Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead!"

"Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still valiantly holding on in his fight to remain dead."

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    "Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still valiantly holding on in his fight to remain dead."
    Yeah, I liked that quote better, but thought it needed the other one to set it up.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Yeah, I liked that quote better, but thought it needed the other one to set it up.
    That's why I'm here.