Thread: MP3 Audio Question

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default MP3 Audio Question

I hope some of the more technically-oriented members of PD can help me out here. I've noticed the volume of many of the mp3s I've downloaded varies greatly, and this causes issues when I try to listen to them in my car CD player. That is, one song requires the volume to be high, but then the next song is way too loud.

So here's my question: is there software or other tools I could use to "even out" the volume of my mp3s so they are not so dramatically different? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Default Re: MP3 Audio Question

You didn't state what program you use on your computer, but if you use iTunes, there's a way. Just go to 'Get Info' for the song and then Options, there will be a place to adjust the volume right underneath just for that particular song. It's nifty.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm assuming you are burning the audio CD, rather than just playing mp3s on a car stereo capable of playing straight mp3s. If you're not burning audio CDs, then what I say below is irrelevant.

Most burning software out there has some mechanism to do that. With Media Player its under 'Burn,' 'More Options.' On that window, you check the box for Volume Levelling for CD tracks.

I've also used IBM RecordNow...it's called volume normalization in that program, and it's under the audio options / advanced.

What software do you use to burn the CDs (if you are recording audio CDs)?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

MP3 Gain is the very best program for adjusting volume level of MP3's and best of all it's freeware. I make all my MP3's 92dB's. Most MP3's downloaded off the internet have major clipping (volume to high causing distortion), but some have volumes way to low.

MP3Gain does not just do peak normalization, as many normalizers do. Instead, it does a statistical analysis to determine how loud the file actually sounds to the human ear.
    Also, the changes MP3Gain makes are completely lossless. There is no quality lost in the change because the program adjusts the mp3 file directly, without decoding and re-encoding. You can change them up or down, over and over with no quality loss.

You'll want to use the Track Gain feature, I've had the program do thousands of songs at one time. It's never messed up anything. Let me know if you need any help with the settings.

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php
    Last edited by Hoop; 07-25-2008 at 10:45 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nero 8 has a setting to "normalize" all files before burning an audio CD so that the levels of each song matches the rest.

Try it out...

www.nero.com

Yeah, mp3gain is good. iTunes can actually normalize your whole collection at once, just like Nero.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, mp3gain is good. iTunes can actually normalize your whole collection at once, just like Nero.
    Where can I get it to do that? I'm at work and can't mess with my itunes right now I just wanna know where to start when I get there.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Where can I get it to do that? I'm at work and can't mess with my itunes right now I just wanna know where to start when I get there.
    I think the option is called 'sound check' or something like that.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    What software do you use to burn the CDs (if you are recording audio CDs)?
    Yeah, my car has a cd player, so I sometimes burn CDs to listen to while I'm driving around town. (There are no radio stations I like around here.) As for software, I'm using an older version of Roxio I was given for free years ago. It doesn't have any of these great options you all have mentioned. I think you all may have solved my problem. Many thanks!
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.