Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rockets' forward Landry may opt to play overseas

Default Rockets' forward Landry may opt to play overseas

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/5904656.html

Rockets' forward Landry may opt to play overseas

Associated Press

The agent for restricted free agent forward Carl Landry says his client may entertain offers to play overseas.
    "Carl would entertain all serious offers," Landry's agent, Buddy Baker, told Houston television station KRIV-TV on Wednesday. "There is serious interest in Carl by both other NBA teams and internationally."

Landry was a rookie for the Houston Rockets last season and averaged 8.1 points and 4.9 rebounds a game.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Rockets' forward Landry may opt to play overseas

I think we should try to go after him. He seemed pretty decent, would a sign and trade work?
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Houston is just waiting to match and somehow I just wouldn't be surprised if the Warriors would go after him. Not that much range, but mobile and he does rebound pretty well for his (relatively) small size.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

restricted free agents everywhere thank josh childress for the new leverage they have.

but seriously, the money is good. here are childress' numbers according to our old pal sekou smith

Either way you slice it Olympiakos was offering more, including an annual salary nearly twice the value of the Hawks' offer annually:

— Olympiakos offered three years and $32.5 million, which after taxes paid by the club becomes a net of salary of about $6.7 million a year for Childress.

— The Hawks offered five years and $33 million, which after taxes paid by Childress becomes a net salary of about $3.4 million per year for Childress.

— In addition to the double-stuffed salary Olympiakos also pays for all of Childress' living expenses, including luxury accommodations, a car and driver and maid service.

— Childress also has an annual opt-out clause in the contract that will allow him to weigh his NBA options, as a restricted free agent provided the Hawks tender a qualifying offer to him, every summer.

— There is no buyout clause in the contract, meaning Childress won't have to negotiate a compensation package for Olympiakos if he were to return to the NBA before the end of the three year deal.
    link

if this is a negotiating ploy rather than serious interest to play overseas, then the chances of nabbing landry by s&t just went up. but of course you have to be willing to commit a large contract to landry in the first place...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we should try to go after him. He seemed pretty decent, would a sign and trade work?
    It would if Houston was very concerned about getting nothing in return for him if he were to go overseas. Unfortunately for us, there are teams out there that can put together much more attractive offers.

I would imagine that Atlanta would have much rather had gotten something for Childress in a sign and trade. One important thing that Childress showed all NBA teams this week is that if you try to play hardball with a guy sometimes you are gonna get burned.

Houston can match if an NBA team signs him, but if an off-shore team does, I believe they're screwed.

I think having overseas teams offering bigger/more flexible contracts than what the NBA would be offering is going to be a serious issue in the future. Things like capspace and luxury tax are going to need to be revamped soon, not to mention player options etc..
    Last edited by PaceBalls; 07-24-2008 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burtrem Redneck View Post
    I think having overseas teams offering bigger/more flexible contracts that what the NBA would be offering is going to be a serious issue in the future. Things like capspace and luxury tax are going to need to be revamped soon.
    Revamp that kind of stuff too much and just watch the NY Knicks gobble up anyone they want by overpaying. Welcome to the world of international sports. That's what it's like in soccer. Players there (including STAR PLAYERS) jump from league to league all the time.

If anything, this is a sign that basketball really has turned into an international sport at the pro level.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Houston can match if an NBA team signs him, but if an off-shore team does, I believe they're screwed.

You are correct.

IIRC, Childress has options that allow him out of his Greek contract after each year. Again IIRC, NBA teams have 2 years of rights on a FA going overseas. After that as you so elequently put it, they're screwed. A player 3 years later can come back to the NBA as a UFA. It changes the complexion of things now with FA's having another viable option at their disposal.

Teams saying they will match their RFA offer, in order to discourage other NBA teams to make an offer sheet, so they can save millions now have to worry about that FA going overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Revamp that kind of stuff too much and just watch the NY Knicks gobble up anyone they want by overpaying. Welcome to the world of international sports. That's what it's like in soccer. Players there (including STAR PLAYERS) jump from league to league all the time.

If anything, this is a sign that basketball really has turned into an international sport at the pro level.
    [European]Yeah. It's a real problem over there. It's absurd that Christiano Ronaldo, for example, might leave Man U (and his absurd contract) to go to Real Madrid because they are ready to pay him a GOD-awful amount of money, the likes of which would make A-Rod's contract seem like a bargain. [/European]

Ahh! The NBA is rapidly turning into the MLS of basketball.

This seems to be him saying he really doesn't want to play in Houston.

Am I wrong about that? At the very least it kicks negotiations up a level of intensity.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/5904656.html

Rockets' forward Landry may opt to play overseas

Associated Press

The agent for restricted free agent forward Carl Landry says his client may entertain offers to play overseas.
    "Carl would entertain all serious offers," Landry's agent, Buddy Baker, told Houston television station KRIV-TV on Wednesday. "There is serious interest in Carl by both other NBA teams and internationally."

Landry was a rookie for the Houston Rockets last season and averaged 8.1 points and 4.9 rebounds a game.
    And so it begins...

First, it was Josh Childress. Now, Carl Landry.

The NBA had better watch out! Suddenly the notion of playing overseas isn't so second-rate any more.
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 07-24-2008 at 06:10 PM.

And now you see why Stern is concerned with taking the NBA global. It isn't to give the game to new fans - it's to avoid situations like this and be able to control the players.

As long as the dollar stays weak, look for European teams to come hard after NBA talent.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't like the way this is headed...

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

Am I wrong about that? At the very least it kicks negotiations up a level of intensity.
    I could be wrong, but it seems that things soured a little in Houston after they floated those public comments about "wanting to ensure his knee was sound."

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post

First, it was Josh Smith.

There are some practical limitations on this trend (don't most European teams limit the # of Foreign or American players to 2 still?), but it will have an inflationary impact on the guys traditionally considered at or below the MLE. That's never a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    [European]Yeah. It's a real problem over there. It's absurd that Christiano Ronaldo, for example, might leave Man U (and his absurd contract) to go to Real Madrid because they are ready to pay him a GOD-awful amount of money, the likes of which would make A-Rod's contract seem like a bargain. [/European]
    Too funny! I'm glad some of the teams that always buy our (Dutch that is) best talents away for crazy money now get to feel this themselves aswell. And even then the likes of Man United have got it easy, because they still can throw crazy money at other players and don't have to rebuild massively like talented teams from smaller countries who get ripped apart immediately after a succesfull (European) soccer campaign by the clubs from England, Spain and Italy and to a lesser extent Germany

I wish there was a salary cap and luxury tax in soccer in Europe... better I wish the same rules would be implemented for Clubs in Holland, Belgium and England as they would be for clubs in more southern European countries. In the latter (some) clubs that have debts of more then a hundred million Euro can just go out and keep on buying their Beckhams and Ronaldo's, while in the former the clubs simply go banckrupt if the same financial situation where to exist.

Back on topic. More competition from other leagues is probably good for the NBA too, but it has to be studied to see the exact effects, also the longer term ones. Panicking helps no one IMO.

Regards,

Mourning

Some people are saying this is good for the NBA in that it will make the league have to adjust. Generally I understand this sentiment and agree with it: really it is what makes capitalism work. I don't really blame the players at all: they really don't have the responsibility to look after anyone but themselves and neither the NBA nor the United States is entitled to them.

But how can the NBA really adjust to this? Eliminate cap restrictions so New York or LA or Chicago wins the title every year? I don't really see how the league can do so effectively.

Currently are there restrictions in the NBA about contract incentives such as buying the player a house, giving him a car service, things like that? I have never heard of that in the NBA so I think that there would be.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    There are some practical limitations on this trend (don't most European teams limit the # of Foreign or American players to 2 still?), but it will have an inflationary impact on the guys traditionally considered at or below the MLE. That's never a good thing.
    That's what I'm most concerned with. I think these moves will create more overpaid role players, and will generally shift up everyone's value.

What happens with Landry could be a very good indicator of where the league is heading (moreso than Childress going over).

Also, the 'tax' thing is being mentioned a lot with Childress moving over, but I think cost of living should be considered in the move.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I could see restricted free agency being an issue in the next collective bargaining session along with the leagues wanting another year of experience for rookies.

Personally, I don't like this at all and in the end this is going to cripple the small market clubs like ours. Hell, with this...you might as well take the NBA global and replace all the small market teams with your European clubs/cities. Really, I could see this being the end of restricted free agency if this trend continues because there are no protections for the clubs on players that you want to not drastically overpay to see if they are decent players.
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 07-24-2008 at 12:26 PM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

I don't know the details, but I would say it's just a smart anticipation of what happenned in Atlanta yesterday with Childress.

I think he wants to speed things up by just letting Houston know "you can waite all you want, but your negotiation position isn't as luxurious as it might seem as I won't waite forever until I get a contract offer and then go through Houston matching it". He also lets European clubs now "I'm open to offers", which Houston will not like AT ALL.

In other words, I think he wants a contractoffer from Houston and he wants it quick I would guess ... "or else".

Nothing wrong with that btw IMO. Just a way of negotiating.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    That's what I'm most concerned with. I think these moves will create more overpaid role players, and will generally shift up everyone's value.

What happens with Landry could be a very good indicator of where the league is heading (moreso than Childress going over).

Also, the 'tax' thing is being mentioned a lot with Childress moving over, but I think cost of living should be considered in the move.
    Cost of living? From what it seems he doesn't even have to buy gas or pay his own bills.

Sports Logo

I think that we should try to sign him with the MLE....I know that there is some debate as to whether he's worth that much....but he appears to be a good backup PF option....while giving us more options to possibly include Foster or Rasho in trade scenarios down the road this season.

Even if the Rockets match...at least I want to try.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.