Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 82

Thread: Another brawl at the Palace

  1. #51

    Default Re: Another brawl at the Palace

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Blamed? They won't... but their name and the original brawl will be brought up often in the articles about this.

    -Bball

    Funny enough, when they showed this on the front page of yahoo, underneath it read "Find more about Pistons-Pacers brawl"
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  2. #52
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,986

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Another brawl at the Palace

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...because everyone else spent their time picking out everything Detroit was doing wrong. I didn't really have to.

    if I hadn't posted, you'd never even know there was another team involved at all.

    I pointed out the things LA did that i didn't like. I never said they were mostly at fault.
    Exactly, so you come into the thread and start defending the Shock and start listing what LA did wrong.

    You can't play the, "but I'm being fair card," because you're not being fair. You take offense to what they're doing, by listing Det's faults, but then do the exact same thing in listing LA's faults.

    Admittingly, I've not seen anything on it but maybe the last 15secs. I don't know what started it, who started it, what happened before, or after, nothing. I'm completely blind on the subject.

    If you say you're going to be fair, and you're looking at it objectively, then list things objectively. Who cares if someone has already said it? If you don't want to take the time to list them, then quote someone and say that you agree, then add your list.

    As far as everyone here ganging up on Det. is that really a shock? (no pun intended) There are still harsh feelings when it comes to your city from Pacer fans. Admittingly, I still have them but I haven't seen anything on it, so I'm refraining from giving my two cents on the actual event.

  3. #53
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Another brawl at the Palace

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Fever have no chance. Lin Dunn is the female coaching equivalent of Dan Dakich.

    No, Dakich did the best he could with the crappy hand he was dealt. Dunn on the other hand took what on paper is a title contending team and made them into a bunch of ninnies who can't beat an expansion team.

  4. #54
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Another brawl at the Palace

    The Detroit Free Press isn't doing much to support the theory that Rick Mahorn is a peacemaker.

    The picture is from the AP, but I would assume the caption was at least approved by someone at the Free Press.

    http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/g...rams=Itemnr=11


    Shock assistant coach Rick Mahorn, center, pushes Sparks center Lisa Leslie to the ground during a melee late in the fourth quarter at the Palace on Tuesday. Mahorn was attempting to keep Leslie from approaching the Shock bench during a bench-clearing fight in which four were ejected.

  5. #55
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Another brawl at the Palace

    http://www.wnba.com/shock/news/ford_080723.html

    Detroit Shock’s Cheryl Ford To Miss Remainder of 2008 WNBA Season With Right Knee Injury


    Auburn Hills, MI – The Detroit Shock announced today that 2007 WNBA All-Star Game MVP and 2003 WNBA Rookie of the Year Cheryl Ford will miss the remainder of the regular season due to a right knee ACL tear. The injury was diagnosed following an MRI administered Wednesday morning.

    Ford suffered the injury at home versus Los Angeles on July 22 while coming down from grabbing a rebound with 2:06 left to play in the fourth quarter.

    Ford, who had micro-fracture surgery on her left knee this past off season has appeared in 24 games this season averaging 10.1 points, 8.7 rebounds and 1.0 seals in 26.3 minutes per game.


  6. #56
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: Another brawl at the Palace

    Just like the real brawl, the refs aren't getting nearly enough blame. They're the true villians here.

    And I don't give a crap if Mahorn did push Leslie. She was trying to escalate the fight, Mahorn was doing what any coach should do and keep that from happening.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  7. #57
    On the Vogel Wagon gummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    3,920
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Another brawl at the Palace

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just like the real brawl, the refs aren't getting nearly enough blame. They're the true villians here.

    And I don't give a crap if Mahorn did push Leslie. She was trying to escalate the fight, Mahorn was doing what any coach should do and keep that from happening.
    I took her at her word when she said she was going over to remove Parker from the pile...

    But even if that's not the case I'm not sure allowing coaches to put their hands on opposing players in this way is a peachy precendent to establish. If he had put his arms around her to restrain her that would be one thing, but shoving is just a step down from slapping or punching. It's an aggressive action rather than a defensive action or a "cool down" gesture. I don't know what his intentions were - it's quite possible he meant to play peacemaker - but what he actually did escalated the situation. Milton-Jones saw it and felt that Leslie needed to be protected from him, so she hit him.
    Last edited by gummy; 07-23-2008 at 08:51 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

    "Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

    Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

  8. #58
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,924

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Another brawl at the Palace

    Amen, Whitlock.

    http://msn.foxsports.com/wnba/story/...-WNBA-scuffle#
    Don't make Mahorn the bad boy in WNBA scuffle
    by Jason Whitlock
    Jason Whitlock brings his edgy and thought-provoking style to FOXSports.com. Columnist for the Kansas City Star, he has won the National Journalism Award for Commentary for "his ability to seamlessly integrate sports and social commentary and to challenge widely held assumptions along the racial divide."

    Updated: July 23, 2008, 3:28 PM EST
    add this RSS blog email print
    Calling it a brawl is inaccurate and stupid. Saying Rick Mahorn shoved Lisa Leslie to the floor is dishonest and mean-spirited.

    Tuesday night's nationally televised Sparks-Shock shoving match was a portrait of equality.

    Melee in the WNBA
    WNBA rookie Candace Parker has already earned attention for her dunks. Now she'll get more after being part of a fight that led to four ejections. Check out pics of the fracas. More from the fight:

    * VIDEO: See the Sparks-Shock fight
    * WNBA reviewing tape from fight
    * Fight mars end of Sparks-Shock game

    No one ever said equality was always perfect and gentle and positive. Equality was contaminated by the same forbidden fruit as everything else. There is no reason to act surprised that a bunch of women would lose their temper on a basketball court and resort to the same kind of emotional stupidity that afflicts men.

    The WNBA has been calling for next for at least a decade, and this is what goes along with running with the big dogs. You occasionally get bitten.

    I don't want to hear anymore whining from Leslie about her slip and fall to the ground after 300-pound Rick Mahorn walked toward her and extended his arms in an attempt to keep her away from the skirmish between and around Candace Parker and Plenette Pierson.

    "I don't even know why (Mahorn) was pushing me down," said Leslie, who called herself a role model and mommy during an overdone postgame interview. "I wasn't swinging or hitting anybody. I was just going to help my teammate up."

    On a basketball court, Leslie is a 6-foot-5 center, and that fact trumps being a role model and mommy when a tussle breaks out.

    There's no reason for anyone to pretend that Mahorn, the former Pistons enforcer, committed some sort of domestic-violence felony. Mahorn's gender should play no role in the WNBA's evaluation of Tuesday's fracas, which led to four ejections, including Mahorn's.

    He committed a misdemeanor. The league should treat Mahorn like he got busted driving 72 miles per hour in a 65-mph zone. Give him and the other "combatants" a ticket, sit 'em down for a game and move on.

    "I was trying to protect the whole game, the integrity of the game," Mahorn told the media after the game. "I would never push a woman. This game, I love this game too much."

    Mahorn is justifiably scared to death. We are so politically correct and dishonest about the way we judge male-female conflict of any kind that he can't afford to say what he really thinks.

    He reacted instinctively to prevent the scrap from escalating. Leslie, intimidated by his size, backpedaled and fell when Mahorn gently pushed her. Mahorn should avoid speaking in absolutes. We know he would push a woman because there's footage of him gently pushing Lisa Leslie. And if a woman attacked one of his four daughters, we can assume Mahorn would at the very least push the female attacker.

    He doesn't need to apologize for his behavior Tuesday night or get defensive about it.

    Leslie and all the other women on the court signed up for basketball equality. Leslie was treated like an athlete at The Palace. Not a mommy or role model. Just a basketball player.

    And this was nothing like the Pacers-Pistons "Malice at the Palace" in 2004. I've watched the video a dozen times on ESPN and YouTube. Were there any real punches landed? Someone on the Sparks tapped Mahorn on the back a couple of times. Mahorn barely noticed.

    None of the players went into the stands. And none of the spectators threw anything on the court or at the players.

    It was a sweaty pillow fight in shorts and tank tops.

    Is it good publicity for a league looking for relevancy?

    Only if you believe all publicity is good publicity. I don't subscribe to that theory. No one watches basketball (or baseball) for the fights. The scuffles are a turnoff. I'm no more likely to watch the next Sparks-Shock game than I was before Tuesday's dustup.

    This isn't hockey. I used to make a point to watch the Red Wings and Avalanche play back when their feud was more heated and violent than the Hatfields and the McCoys.

    Basketball is different. It's still a finesse game.

    This was bad publicity that will lead to a bunch of Don Imus jokes. Let's hope the league doesn't overreact and treat Mahorn in a way that signals the WNBA has no real understanding of true equality.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  9. #59

    Default Re: Another brawl at the Palace

    I cannot stand Jason ****lock but he raises some good points here. The USA team also saw this

    Here's Kobe's reaction to the Sparks fight

    http://www.contracostatimes.com/california/ci_9975530

    Kobe Bryant reacts to Sparks fight
    By Ramona Shelburne, Staff Writer
    Article Launched: 07/23/2008 06:08:09 PM PDT


    So guess who pays attention to women's basketball?
    Apparently, Kobe Bryant and the US men's basketball team.

    Speaking with reporters in Las Vegas today, Bryant said he jumped up when he saw the highlights of the Sparks-Detroit Shock brawl on ESPN last night.

    The brawl began when Detroit's Plenette Pierson got tangled up with the Sparks' Candace Parker. Parker fell to the ground, Pierson aggressively tried to walk over her, Parker pulled Pierson down and all heck broke loose at the Palace.

    "Candace is going to be a target. She's an incredible player," Bryant said. "I think it's good for her that she didn't back down and I think it's good for her teammates to step in there."

  10. #60
    Member Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,038

    Default Re: Another brawl at the Palace

    Meh,I always thought that Detroit basketball prided themselves on being "tough,hard nosed players",But they seem to be the only city that once it boils over into a fight they are ready to blame everyone but themselves.


    But who am I to judge?,Im just a pacers fan.
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

  11. #61

    Default Re: Another brawl at the Palace

    Is this posting purgatory. I mean this is the WNBA and yes Kstat you are wrong that is all.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 07-23-2008 at 11:01 PM.

  12. #62
    Member Kuq_e_Zi91's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    2,302

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Another brawl at the Palace

    I just feel bad for Cheryl Ford. Her season is over because she tried to calm down Pierson. Not just the season, but playoffs too. Big price to pay for trying to be peacemaker.

    IMO, Pierson is to blame by knocking Parker down and then trying to walk over her. I mean, did she think Candace was just gonna lay there and take that? Then it's basically her fault the Shock won't have Ford for the rest of the year.

    I think that's the story here, not Mahorn and Leslie, or that it involved the League's superstar Candace Parker. But the fact the Shock will lose an achor in Cheryl Ford for the rest of the season and playoffs because of Pierson not being able to control her emotions.

  13. #63
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,512

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Another brawl at the Palace

    Quote Originally Posted by tbabyy924 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just feel bad for Cheryl Ford. Her season is over because she tried to calm down Pierson. Not just the season, but playoffs too. Big price to pay for trying to be peacemaker.
    Actually I think they're saying now the ACL tore with like 2:06 to go in the game and she shouldn't have ever been put back in the line up.

  14. #64
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,924

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Another brawl at the Palace

    Yeah, their coaching and medical staff are the reason she's out for good. She had no business being on the floor.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  15. #65
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,924

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Another brawl at the Palace

    The Shock signed Nancy Lieberman today.

    Yes, I said 50-year old Nancy Lieberman.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  16. #66
    Fear my small avatar Gyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: Another brawl at the Palace

    Is that Senator Joe Lieberman's Wife? She's about the right age......

  17. #67
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,217
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Another brawl at the Palace

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Shock signed Nancy Lieberman today.

    Yes, I said 50-year old Nancy Lieberman.
    I just saw this on ESPNNews. Gotta do what ya gotta do I guess. Do you think it's publicity or do you think they think she can help. I would find it hard to believe that there weren't better options to bring in.

  18. #68
    Member Kuq_e_Zi91's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    2,302

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Another brawl at the Palace

    Damn, Cheryl Ford went back out to play with a torn ACL? I can only imagine what she was thinking as she saw the brawl start to happen, knowing she only had one good leg. My respect for her just went up so much.

    Is Lieberman going to play tonight? I read the article on ESPN as well, and they're saying she's in good shape. It's televised too, she might just do it for the publicity.

  19. #69
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,285

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Another brawl at the Palace

    Suspensions are out, and not surprisingly, Laimbeer is crying over it.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/news/story?id=3503435

    Oh, and the Pacers get mentioned in the article too...

  20. #70
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,859

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Another brawl at the Palace

    The melee at The Palace in suburban Detroit -- where the infamous brawl between the Pistons, Indiana Pacers and fans was in 2004 -- broke out with 4.6 seconds left in a game won by the Sparks.
    Gotta love that press.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  21. #71
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,228

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Another brawl at the Palace

    Shock forward Plenette Pierson was suspended Thursday for four games, the harshest penalty, for initiating and escalating the altercation.
    Looks like the media, at least, is putting primary blame on Detroit for initiating the brawl.

  22. #72
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,228

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Another brawl at the Palace

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gotta love that press.

  23. #73
    Fear my small avatar Gyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: Another brawl at the Palace

    What on earth did the Indiana Pacers and the NBA brawl have to do with an on court fight and why did it get put into the article?

    It's almost like they do it, just to **** with us cause they know we're watching for it.

  24. #74
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Another brawl at the Palace

    I think Milton-Jones should have gotten more than one game for being dumb enough to hit Rick Mahorn.

    Detroit is bringing back a former coach to play for the team while their players are suspended. Exactly why didn't the Pacers to that with Larry Bird when then only had 6 available players after their suspensions?

    Other than Cheryl Ford being out for the year I think LA and Detroit have no reason to gripe about anything. Their suspensions are being staggered. Stern didn't suspend David Harrison after the brawl (even though the DA saw fit to charge him) because he didn't want the Pacers to be able to stagger the suspensions. Jack a$$.

  25. #75
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: Another brawl at the Palace

    Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly why didn't the Pacers to that with Larry Bird when then only had 6 available players after their suspensions?
    Yeah, he was only 47 at the time.

    Bet we coulda signed Magic, too.

    [edit] And for the record, Nancy's in much better shape than them, unless you count that "round is a shape" crap.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Similar Threads

  1. Artest to interview brawl instigator? (SacBee)
    By avoidingtheclowns in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-05-2008, 02:06 PM
  2. The Ravens brawl at Minicamp
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-21-2008, 11:53 PM
  3. Judge dismisses Palace brawl suits against Artest [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-10-2007, 10:40 PM
  4. Article on the Brawl..
    By RickSmitsFan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-03-2007, 01:46 PM
  5. Another Palace Brawl Lawsuit
    By Cornrows in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-14-2007, 06:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •