Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another brawl at the Palace

Sports Logo

Default Re: Another brawl at the Palace

There must be something in that Detroit water that brings out the worst in Basketball players....male or female.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There must be something in that Detroit water that brings out the worst in Basketball players....male or female.
    Yes, it's called Bill Laimbeer and Rick Mahorn.

However, I can't really complain that Lisa Leslie ended up on her rear end. I can't stand her almost as much as I can't stand Ruth Riley.

I think it was all staged to make the world fear the USA team during the Olympics.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not having a "team" in this because it's the WNBA and I don't follow it, it doesn't surprise me one iota that kstat is here defending yet another Detroit team when there is no defense. As an impartial observer, I'll make the following statements:

- The refs completely lost control of this game. They shouldn't have let things get anywhere close to the point they got to (sound familiar)

- What was Cheryl Ford thinking? The whistle had blown and the play was over, but she kept playing and ripped the ball away. This was the start of the fighting. The instigator - Cheryl Ford.

- Pierson should have been called for a foul on the "box out/clipping" move on the FT attempt.

- Parker reacted in an appropriate manner (as any one in that situation most likely would). Pierson again charges Parker and yet again, Parker reacts appropriately as most players would in that situation.

- There is no justification for what Rick Mahorn did, period. His arms should have been held out to his sides if he's trying to play peacemaker. There was no reason whatsoever for his arms to be in front of him or to shove any player at all. He should be banned from the WNBA for at least a year, if not more.

*removed* His indefensible defense of the actions of Detroit players and coaches in yet one more altercation at the Palace is shameful at the very least. *removed*

It's my opinion, relax! Vince Neil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    "What? A fight broke out at the Palace? It must be the Detroit players. It MUST be them! I don't even need to see what happened, my mind is already made up!"

I agree.

Mood

"What? A fight broke out at the Palace? It must be the Detroit players. It MUST be them! I don't even need to see what happened, my mind is already made up!"
    Already watched the video before I commented, chief. LA's no innocent bystander either, but to put it all on them is homerism at its best.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Already watched the video before I commented, chief. LA's no innocent bystander either, but to put it all on them is homerism at its best.
    ...except I didn't, and I've said that many times.

Basically you prejudged me without reading through what I said. Nice.

And if you only watched the video, you didn't see all the little incidents that led up to this, so again you don't know what you're talking about.

I said they were both equally at fault. I guess I'm a homer for not throwing everything on the Shock. So be it, but don't try to say that I'm the lone person here with an impartiality issue.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-23-2008 at 10:11 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Mood

I think you're just seeing what you want to see, both with the fight and the posts made here, but maybe that's just me. Enjoy spinning the fight to yourself because few will stick around to discuss it with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I think you're just seeing what you want to see, both with the fight and the posts made here, but maybe that's just me. Enjoy spinning the fight to yourself because few will stick around to discuss it with you.
    I'm "spinning it" and putting blame on both sides.

You're being "realistic" in putting everything that happened on Detroit, despite not even watching the entire thing.

Gotta love making up your own reality as you go along. Nice job, if you can get it...
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-23-2008 at 10:33 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Wow Rick Mahorn.......Your name will be played at talk shows....
    Last edited by edc; 07-23-2008 at 11:34 AM.

Oh, that's just great! But now, get this...

Title for Pacers/Pistons used words like "brawl" and "malee", but when the ladies fight it's called "a spirited win".

Gotta love political correctness.

Good news is no fans imposed their will on the game nor got clobbered.

Have to say both sides were at fault here although the great irony is that Ford fouled Parker and then when a fight took place and she tried to break it up she hurt herself.

One would think the daughter of Karl Malone would be the one throwing elbows...

That being said I'm not all that sympathetic over Lisa Leslie here to the point I'm not outrage that Rick shoved her. However it wasn't that bad I think LL sold that one.

Of course this means Rick Mahorn is history. This isn't the same as Pistons/Pacers that involved fans this is just a brawl which happens to be in the same place as the other one.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by tora tora View Post
    The WNBA is irrelevant anyway. What's with all the emotions? It's hysterical.
    No no no. WNBA basketball is good basketball. It holds me over until the NBA season starts!

The fight? Not enjoyable one bit. I never like seeing stuff like this. It just goes to show you that these girls are in it to win it just like the guys.

On the bright side, maybe Detroit will lose some games now. Then the Fever can step it up and gain some momentum.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 07-23-2008 at 12:36 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If this thread has proven nothing else, it is that there is still a lot of animosity over the one, true Brawl.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    No no no. This is good basketball. It holds me over until the NBA season starts!

Anyway, maybe Detroit will lose some games now. Then the Fever can step it up and gain some momentum.
    The Fever have no chance. Lin Dunn is the female coaching equivalent of Dan Dakich.

Detriot is getting good at starting brawls in a last minutes/seconds of a game they're losing to a team that's a threat

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    I dunno.

I'll bet the Pacers start the season with at least one suspended player because of this.
    Bird has already called the main office apologizing for Tinsley's role in this and offering him up for a suspension without pay.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Bird has already called the main office apologizing for Tinsley's role in this and offering him up for a suspension without pay.

-Bball
    Maybe one of us could goad Tinsely into rushing the stands at Conseco this season. He'd already be pretty close coming straight off the bench. Just hide the dustpans first.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Candace Parker spent the better part of the end half taking little cheap shots at several players. This wasn't even close to being all on the Shock.

Her little takedown of Pearson after the FT was what started it. She's a spoiled brat.
    Kstat I agree that there is plenty of blame to go around on both sides. The game was chippy the whole time.

But did you not see Pearson shove her *** into Candace before the "takedown" (which looked to me as if they were both trying to get the leverage to make sure they came out on top)? That did not look at all like a routine box out to me. I have a friend whose knee was seriously injured on a play like that, so I can understand being pissed off.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by tora tora View Post
    The WNBA is irrelevant anyway. What's with all the emotions? It's hysterical.
    Yeah, sure. No one gets emotional in any game men play in.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Actually, the least surprising post was the initial one.

I never said they were the victim. I'm simply saying they aren't the villain.

I'm beyond irritated with LA's drama acting, trying to play the innocent victim.

-Parker taking little shots during the game and running away as fast as she can.

-Leslie taking a lighter fall than most of us do at the YMCA and then crying her eyes out trying to draw attention to herself when another player was ACTUALLY injured.

-Milton-Jones throwing a sucker-punch at Mahorn's back, and then doing her best Candace impersonation and running away when Mahorn turned around.

Did the Shock want to go at it with the Sparks? Oh yeah. But LA wasn't exactly nice either.
    This is the problem. Your last line says that the Shock has part of the blame coming, yet the rest of the post is all about the Sparks and what they did wrong.

That's why everyone looks at you as an apologist for Det. teams. You will list everything on the other team, then throw in a few hard words against Det. and you think you're being unbiased, or atleast fair.

This was more of a baseball fight than a Brawl. It is an insult to Step Jack, Ron Ron, Jermaine, & Tinlsey to call this a brawl!

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This is the problem. Your last line says that the Shock has part of the blame coming, yet the rest of the post is all about the Sparks and what they did wrong.

That's why everyone looks at you as an apologist for Det. teams. You will list everything on the other team, then throw in a few hard words against Det. and you think you're being unbiased, or atleast fair.
    ...because everyone else spent their time picking out everything Detroit was doing wrong. I didn't really have to.

if I hadn't posted, you'd never even know there was another team involved at all.

I pointed out the things LA did that i didn't like. I never said they were mostly at fault.

Mood

Did anyone see what Laimbeer said about Mahorn?

"Rick Mahorn is known as a peacemaker, from even the brawl we had here with Indiana," Detroit coach Bill Laimbeer said. "He went out there to get people off the pile, and to get people to stop the confrontation. That's who he is, that's what he does."

That is the most hilariously inaccurate homerish rose colored quote I have ever read and that's saying something when you have Kstat around.

Michael Cooper also said Mahorn was in there playing peacemaker, and he hates Mahorn with a passion.

Obviously he's not known for it, but he was last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    If this thread has proven nothing else, it is that there is still a lot of animosity over the one, true Brawl.

**** you.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.