Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Okafor, Bobcats agree to 6-year, $72 million deal

Default Okafor, Bobcats agree to 6-year, $72 million deal

As things stand now, Emeka Okafor will be an ex-Charlotte Bobcat by the end of next season, if not sooner.

Negotiations between Okafor and the Bobcats are at an impasse, an informed source told the Observer, with the team offering less now than the $12million-plus annual salary it did a year ago. A restricted free agent, center-forward Okafor now wants a sign-and-trade to another team, the source said, and is not inclined to remain with the Bobcats long-term.
    http://www.charlotte.com/507/story/722943.html

Do you guys think theres any way we could make a run for im in a S/T this year, or even sign him next summer? I wouldn't mind giving up anyone but Ford, Granger and Rush
    Last edited by MillerTime; 07-22-2008 at 10:03 AM.

Default Re: Okafor is Done in Charlotte

Hmm...I wonder if we can cook up an offer of sorts. We definitely can't sign him next year.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hmm...I wonder if we can cook up an offer of sorts. We definitely can't sign him next year.
    there was talk that we are supposed to be under the cap next season, somehow. Does anyone know how this works? From what rexnom said, I guess it wouldnt be enough to sign Okafor

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    there was talk that we are supposed to be under the cap next season, somehow. Does anyone know how this works? From what rexnom said, I guess it wouldnt be enough to sign Okafor
    We will only be nominally under the cap next year, but either Danny's caphold or extension, along with the capholds for guys like Jack and Foster will chew up the rest.

I don't think we're going to be interested in paying Okafor the $12+mm per year he wants, and I don't think Charlotte is going to want to take back Tinsley or Murphy, and they don't have a lot of use for Dunleavy.

From what I have seen in person in Charlotte of Okafor, you don't want him. Paper soft, always hurt.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    From what I have seen in person in Charlotte of Okafor, you don't want him. Paper soft, always hurt.
    That was always my impression of him.

We already have what should be a budding defensive presence in Hibbert. Plus I don't think Rasho is a defensive liability and Jeff definitely is not. Offensively, Okafur's ppg/rebounds are not significantly better than Troy's.

I did go look to confirm, he played his first full season this year, but he was playing hurt at one point in the year if I remember correct.

Seeing him up close and personal, he is constantly getting pushed around under the basket. He's just not a very big guy for a center. Seeing him on TV I always thought he was a much bigger guy, but in person at the games, he really is smaller than a lot of the centers.

Mood

I don't know about being a center, but I think he could be a very good power forward next to a bigger center. A future compliment to Hibbert?

I did go look to confirm, he played his first full season this year, but he was playing hurt at one point in the year if I remember correct.

Seeing him up close and personal, he is constantly getting pushed around under the basket. He's just not a very big guy for a center. Seeing him on TV I always thought he was a much bigger guy, but in person at the games, he really is smaller than a lot of the centers.
    I wonder how he would do at PF with a guy like Rasho (this year) or Hibbert (in the future). Would he still be as soft?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I don't know about being a center, but I think he could be a very good power forward next to a bigger center. A future compliment to Hibbert?
    Beat me to it!

That's a possiblity, but is he worth the $12 Million plus? I think it might be high for him. Especially since he has been hurt so much in his career.

Do we really want to bring in another oft injured player and get stuck with that kind of salary?

Also remember, the Bobcats are stupid in how they run their team picking up what seems to be the league's injury roster, and even they don't want to pay him the $12 Million plus he is wanting. This is a team that has Sean May, Adam Morrison, Gerald Wallace and a plethora of injured players they pay to ride the bench often. Thats gotta tell you something when they don't want to pay Okafor.....
    Last edited by Gyron; 07-22-2008 at 10:19 AM.

I haven't seen much of Okafur. Is he soft around the basket because he seems afraid of contact or because he's the only good player in the Bobcats' frontcourt so the opposing team players tend to gang up on him?

If it is the first one, I don't think playing him next to Jeff, Rasho, or Hibbert is going to make much of a difference. If it did than Troy would be on the Suns right now.

He wants waaay too much money for what he is. He's really just Dale Davis with less intensity and better offense. If he was 18 and 10 instead of 13 and 10 and didn't have health problems, I would consider him more.

I think its option #1 DC, but I also think a lot of it has to do with him playing Center and he's usually smaller then the guy he's gaurding. I'm not talking about height so much, but more mass.

When I sat down on the floor this year, I was amazed at how small he looked compared to some of the other players.

Okafor is not worth a huge deal, you could not build a team around him.

Banned

With much debate about Chad Ford's numbers and estimation of where the Pacers will be standing when its all said in done with the cap relief they will get from the expiring contracts they have coming up in the summer of 2009, I dug in and did some research and believe I have a pretty good estimate of where the Pacers will stand. With the trades Larry Bird pulled off, it looks like the Pacers will be a strong player in the summer of 2009 free agency.

Indiana Pacers 2009 Roster/Salary Data:

Players Currently Under Contract

Troy Murphy:
    2009 Salary: $11,047,619

Mike Dunleavy:
    2009 Salary: $9,780,992

TJ Ford:
    2009 Salary: $8,500,000

Jamaal Tinsley:
    2009 Salary: $7,200,000

Danny Granger:
    2009 Salary: $3,289,684 (Qualifying Offer)

Jarrett Jack:
    2009 Salary: $2,899,798 (Qualifying Offer)

Shawne Williams:
    2009 Salary: 2,416,066 (Team Option)

Travis Diener:
    2009 Salary: $1,740,000 (Player Option)

Brandon Rush:
    2009 Salary: $1,611,800

Roy Hibbert:
    2009 Salary: $1,312,800

Josh McRoberts:
    2009 Salary: $500,000 ($427,163 in 2008)

Expiring Contracts (likely not to be picked up)

Marquis Daniels
    2008 Salary: $6,860,000

Jeff Foster
    2008 Salary: $6,175,000

Rasho Nesterovic
    2008 Salary: $8,400,000

2009 Cap Relief: $21,435,900

---

Pacers estimated 2009 Salary: $48,123,759

Keeping in mind the Pacers are likely going to trade Tinsley for a player of equal value, not likely with an expiring contract, or simply buy him out, meaning his salary will still count against the Pacers in 2009.
    The other factor that could change the salary cap is where the Pacers will be positioned in the 2009 NBA Draft. If they receive first overall pick they would be paying their incoming player roughly 4 million, the 2008 chart shouldn't be too far off from what next years rookie salaries will be.
    Additionally, if the Pacers decide to keep Shawne Williams on the roster until next season, and simply don't re-sign Williams. That could put the team an additional 2 million under the salary cap. In my mind it is more likely the Pacers will trade Williams rather than wait that long, which could add a player of equal value to their roster, making Williams a push in projecting the Pacers 2009 salary.

Estimated 2009 NBA league Salary Cap: $57-58 million (ie., $10-11 million under the cap)
    Last edited by FerengiMiller; 07-22-2008 at 10:27 AM.

I only see him play against the Pacers, so I assume he's all world.......

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...=&order_by=trb
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Banned

Okafor's not soft. He's not the most offensively gifted player in the world, but he's far from soft. He's a very nice rebounder and shot blocker who can give you in the low double figures in scoring.

I think the most important thing is he's defensive minded. Putting him next to Granger and Hibbert could become the best defensive front court in the league, and with Rush on the perimeter, we'd have the talent to be one of the leagues top defensive teams.

I'm not sure what it would take to land him. We have plenty of expirings, which I'm sure Charlotte would like. Throw in a young prospect and a 1st rounder or two and they might bite, depending on what other offers they get.

Pairing Okafor next to Hibbert would be an offensive disaster, unfortunately...

The interior defense would likely be excellent, however neither Hibbert nor Okafor can produce their own offense on a consistent basis. Okafor has zero range to speak of and Hibbert isn't a dynamic offensive player in any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Okafor is not worth a huge deal, you could not build a team around him.
    No doubt.

People complained about Jermaine getting a max contract? That's nothing compared to the trainwreck it would be to give Okafor that kind of money.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

As Count stated, we have nothing the Bobcats value to match salaries. Unless, they would take Foster and Daniels with a combined salaries of around 13 mil. The problem then is you would have about 24 mil in Okafor and Murphy at PF next season. I don't see that happening, so I don't see a trade for Okafor.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    Pairing Okafor next to Hibbert would be an offensive disaster, unfortunately...

The interior defense would likely be excellent, however neither Hibbert nor Okafor can produce their own offense on a consistent basis. Okafor has zero range to speak of and Hibbert isn't a dynamic offensive player in any sense.
    I'm gonna have to strongly disagree. Hibbert's got size, smarts, and a nice touch from inside 17'. All the tools needed to be a good scorer in the NBA. Think Rik Smits or Zydrunas Ilguaskas.

Quote Originally Posted by Landry View Post
    I'm gonna have to strongly disagree. Hibbert's got size, smarts, and a nice touch from inside 17'. All the tools needed to be a good scorer in the NBA. Think Rik Smits or Zydrunas Ilguaskas.
    According to you we have Mark Jackson at PG and Smits at C, now all we need is Rush to end up Reggie and Dun can reprise Mully's role with Granger playing the role of Rose, and we'll be back in the finals before we know it.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Landry View Post
    Nice to have you back, Kofi...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    According to you we have Mark Jackson at PG and Smits at C, now all we need is Rush to end up Reggie and Dun can reprise Mully's role with Granger playing the role of Rose, and we'll be back in the finals before we know it.
    Ford is a fantastic passer, so in that regard he's very comparable to Mark Jackson. Other than that, no. Jackson had size, Ford has speed. Hibbert and Smits are very comparable, much more so than Ford and Jackson.

Okafor could be a better version of Dale Davis.

Nothing wrong with copying our 90's blue print.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Think we should start a scouting section on PD and start reporting on Pacer targets, like potential PFs in next years draft (Olgivy, Pendergraph, Heytvelt, Jordan Hill, Hansborough, Patrick Patterson)?

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by FerengiMiller View Post
    With much debate about Chad Ford's numbers and estimation of where the Pacers will be standing when its all said in done with the cap relief they will get from the expiring contracts they have coming up in the summer of 2009, I dug in and did some research and believe I have a pretty good estimate of where the Pacers will stand. With the trades Larry Bird pulled off, it looks like the Pacers will be a strong player in the summer of 2009 free agency.

Indiana Pacers 2009 Roster/Salary Data:

Players Currently Under Contract

Troy Murphy:
    2009 Salary: $11,047,619

Mike Dunleavy:
    2009 Salary: $9,780,992

TJ Ford:
    2009 Salary: $8,500,000

Jamaal Tinsley:
    2009 Salary: $7,200,000

Danny Granger:
    2009 Salary: $3,289,684 (Qualifying Offer)

Jarrett Jack:
    2009 Salary: $2,899,798 (Qualifying Offer)

Shawne Williams:
    2009 Salary: 2,416,066 (Team Option)

Travis Diener:
    2009 Salary: $1,740,000 (Player Option)

Brandon Rush:
    2009 Salary: $1,611,800

Roy Hibbert:
    2009 Salary: $1,312,800

Josh McRoberts:
    2009 Salary: $500,000 ($427,163 in 2008)

Expiring Contracts (likely not to be picked up)

Marquis Daniels
    2008 Salary: $6,860,000

Jeff Foster
    2008 Salary: $6,175,000

Rasho Nesterovic
    2008 Salary: $8,400,000

2009 Cap Relief: $21,435,900

---

Pacers estimated 2009 Salary: $48,123,759

Keeping in mind the Pacers are likely going to trade Tinsley for a player of equal value, not likely with an expiring contract, or simply buy him out, meaning his salary will still count against the Pacers in 2009.
    The other factor that could change the salary cap is where the Pacers will be positioned in the 2009 NBA Draft. If they receive first overall pick they would be paying their incoming player roughly 4 million, the 2008 chart shouldn't be too far off from what next years rookie salaries will be.
    Additionally, if the Pacers decide to keep Shawne Williams on the roster until next season, and simply don't re-sign Williams. That could put the team an additional 2 million under the salary cap. In my mind it is more likely the Pacers will trade Williams rather than wait that long, which could add a player of equal value to their roster, making Williams a push in projecting the Pacers 2009 salary.

Estimated 2009 NBA league Salary Cap: $57-58 million (ie., $10-11 million under the cap)
    Good work.

I would imagine most of that cap space will be spent on extending Jack and Granger and resigning Foster and/or Rasho.

Maceo, McRoberts, and Graham are also expirings that could come into play. Diener might have an option and opt out to go somewhere for PT (if we don't trade him soon).
    Last edited by MyFavMartin; 07-22-2008 at 10:56 AM.