Thread: Dark Horses

Default Dark Horses

What teams are you guys picking to suprise folks this year?

I think The Browns have a legit shot at winning a playoff game or two. They might be able to knock out New England, San Diego, or the Colts come playoff time.

St Louis Rams. They had several injuries last year and have a very good QB in Bulger. They will make the playoffs.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Dark Horses

I don't know, but I think the Saints will do alright although I don't necessarily consider them to be a dark horse.

Also, I think these following teams outta do well:

Texans
    Bills
    Cardinals
    Browns
    Bengals
    Eagles
    and
    Rams

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Colts

haha...sorry had to say it
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

The Bills
    Wild Card b/c of their QB Situation. They could go 4-14 or 8-8. I will watch some games b/c I like James Hardy but I do not see them winning more than half their games

The whole thing about the Texans is this, I am worried about Slaton. The Colts have trouble stopping smaller RB's. Why he does not have the power of Jones Drew this guy has a lot of speed and might be dangerous.

It will be interesting to see what team has a better season Arizona or St Louis?

Mood

I like the Browns if they can continue to build on last year and if Anderson plays like he did last year.

Quote Originally Posted by cramerica View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know, but I think the Saints will do alright although I don't necessarily consider them to be a dark horse.

Also, I think these following teams outta do well:

Texans
    Bills
    Cardinals
    Browns
    Bengals
    Eagles
    and
    Rams
    You forgot one. The vikings!

I mean who would you pick out of the NFC North? The Bears without a passing or running game or how about Green Bay.

I look at the Vikings as having the biggest chance of breaking out and getting into the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    You forgot one. The vikings!

I mean who would you pick out of the NFC North? The Bears without a passing or running game or how about Green Bay.

I look at the Vikings as having the biggest chance of breaking out and getting into the playoffs.
    I like the Vikings as well, but they are everybody's dark horse. Cover Boy Adrian Peterson probably will get injured, I hope not, but he does have a history. I do not like T Jackson at QB. He will have to improve.

I have two Dark Horses also in fantasy football at the WR Pos: Waiver Wire these guys.
    1. Robert Meacham
    2. De'shaun Jackson

I see Jackson catching a lot of passes from Mc Nabb. I like Meachem b/c he will be a deep ball threat w/ Drew Brees.

Two teams that didn't make the playoffs last year that will this year: Minnesota and the Jets. The Browns will probably make it as well..they are much improved on defense.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Browns and Steelers have an absurd schedule this year (along with the Raven and Bungles, but who cares about them?) - playing the NFC East and AFC South. The winner of that division will likely be 9-7 or worse, due to strength of schedule, and the runner up is unlikely to make a wild-card spot. You could conceivably have a 0.500 or below division champion this year.

The Steelers are vulnerable this year, depending on how the O-line shapes up, but I don't know that the Browns are in position to win the division. All my friends that are Browns fans were ready to start waving the white towell after last night's game. I, of course, will have none of it. I want them to keep talking smack right up until the point that the Steelers put them back in their place.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

If we can pick teams that won their division last year, I'll take the Pats...

I wouldn't want to mess with the Colts' or Steelers' strength of schedule (Steelers and Colts are #1 and #2 in SOS, respectively and almost identically, by a sizable margin over the #3 Jaguars and any other team).

AFC South: Colts are #2, Jaguars are #3, Titans are #6, and Texans are #8 in SOS.

AFC North: Steelers are #1, Ravens are #5, Bengals are #7, and Browns are #9 in SOS.

So really, I wouldn't want to be in either division....

But, ah, to be the AFC East or the Chargers! (Chargers #31, Pats #32, Bills #27, Jets #25, and Dolphins #23)

http://www.theredzone.org/strength.asp
    Last edited by btowncolt; 08-19-2008 at 04:37 PM.

Dumb question - I've been told that there are only two differences between the Steelers' schedule and the Browns' schedule. (a) I can't believe the difference in ranking is that large, and (b) the Steelers have to play the Browns, which is easier - from a SoS perspective, than the Browns playing the Steelers.

Since I pay no attention to the AFC South, what NFC division is the AFC South playing in order to boost thier SoS ratings so much? The NFC North is terrible, the NFC South isn't very impressive, and the NFC West should get demoted and play a Pac-10 schedule.

Well, the Colts play the AFC North - with the Steelers and Browns on the road. That certainly ramps up the difficulty level. They also play the Chargers (in SD) and the Patriots (16-0).

The Colts NFC match-up is the NFC North. SOS is not based on prognostication of a division in the coming year. So the NFC North being "terrible" is irrelevant (and that's a different discussion for a different day). The Colts play the Packers (13-3) in GB, the Vikings (8-8) in Minnesota, and the Bears and Lions at home (each 7-9).

So the Colts play 6 games against division teams in their own division where no team had a losing record and three made the playoffs last year, 4 games against the also legitimately tough AFC North (playing the two best teams on the road), 4 games against an NFC division that had an aggregate 35 wins last year (playing the top two teams on the road), a game on the road against the team that lost the AFC Championship (SD), and a game against the AFC team that lost the Super Bowl and had a 16-0 record (NE).

The Steelers obviously have a difficult schedule too - the teams they are playing have one more total win last year than the Colts coming opponents.

Saints
    Bills
    Jets
    Bengals

I am very worried about Steve Slaton of the Texans against the Colts. We have a history of problems with smaller RB. Remember what Jones Drew does to us. Slaton does not have his power but he could easily break a TD or 2 against our D.
    I was also wondering what you gentleman & ladies think about James Hardy for Buffalo this year?

Man I look to be very wrong about the Rams. I thought they would be decent playing in a weak division and having Orlando Pace & Bulger Healty. Good Job for everybody that called out the Bills they look to be a playoff team. Good Running Back and Tough Defense.

Yeah, the Rams are beyond disappointing. But I really like the Jets. Also Denver.

But a fantasy question. Should I accept a trade: the guy will give me Plaxico Burress and David Patten for Julius Jones and Bryant Johnson.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMltKsoDwe8&NR=1
    press pause on the second slow-mo replay around 0:12 mark

Quote Originally Posted by carpediem024 View Post
    Yeah, the Rams are beyond disappointing. But I really like the Jets. Also Denver.

But a fantasy question. Should I accept a trade: the guy will give me Plaxico Burress and David Patten for Julius Jones and Bryant Johnson.
    I would do that trade b/c Plax is the best player of the four. Look to cut Patten and pick up Brandon Llyod of Chicago.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    What teams are you guys picking to suprise folks this year?
    St Louis Rams. They had several injuries last year and have a very good QB in Bulger. They will make the playoffs.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

They still have a very easy schedule but their defense has been terrible.

They said Sunday night that the Steelers schedule is the most difficult schedule any NFL team has faced since the '76 Giants.

And the NFC East looks even stronger this year than last year, although they will ultimately all beat up on each other and have lower W/L%'s.

(Too bad there are only four good teams in the entire NFC - all in the NFC East. I continue to believe that the NFC North, South and West should all be requird to forfeit their automatic playoff births until they can produce a single decent team.)