Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The restaurant review thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The restaurant review thread

Fortune Cookies in Bloomington.

Great Chinese. Sesame chicken kicks some serious *** and the spring rolls are really good.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Giovanni's in St. Louis. Solid. Not too pricy. Nice atmosphere and good wait service for a party of 12 with no reservations on a Tuesday night. I did what I always do eating someplace the first time, went conservative and had the Pasta Siciliano which was very good.

While in St. Louis we stopped by Mike Shannon's, looked at the menu ($48 for a 10 oz steak) and left.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Womens Wrestling Champion El Pacero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have one that is a bit off the beaten path but the American Legion in Lapel has the best tenderloins I have ever had.
    I'll have to try it. I'm a Legion member and a huge breaded tenderloin fan, and so far my favorites around here are Nickel Plate in Fishers, Friendly Tavern in Zionsville, Red Onion in Sheridan, and Nick's Kitchen in Huntington (supposedly where it was invented in 1904). Any other good ones out there in Hoosier Tenderloin Land?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ouzome View Post
    Any other good ones out there in Hoosier Tenderloin Land?
    I have no idea if it's even still in business or under the same ownership or anything, but the Coxville Tavern in Rosedale had hands down the best breaded tenderloin sandwich I've ever had. Most palces serve what I refer to as a "school lunch" tenderloin. Very thin and bland, pre-cooked and flash frozen. Not Coxville. They hand breaded and deep fried theirs so you know it didn't come pre-cooked and frozen in a box. The breading they used had to have been the secret. And the thing was so big they always brought you an extra bun so you could cut it in half and make two sandwiches. I'd always get it with mustard and onion on it with a side of seasoned steak fries, and a cold beer. My mouth is watering.

[edit]I looked it up and the place is now called Coxville Junction Family Restaurant. Checked out the menu, no tenderloin sandwich. [/edit]
    Last edited by travmil; 10-11-2008 at 09:44 AM.

Nerd.
    Mood

Fogo de Chao...

I always love the place.

Womens Wrestling Champion El Pacero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    And the thing was so big they always brought you an extra bun so you could cut it in half and make two sandwiches. I'd always get it with mustard and onion on it with a side of seasoned steak fries, and a cold beer. My mouth is watering.[/edit]

Oh you had my mouth watering, too. Mustard and onion, and seasoned steak fries, just like I like it. I wish other places would give you an extra bun, that's a good idea.

Carolina Crossing...Right on the border between NC & SC on SR 29, Grover, NC.

One of those "we have everything on the menu" local places. Great pizza, but the special was Chicken 'n' Dumplings. I've eaten there several times, and it's pretty good every time.

Just found this thread and read the whole 8 pages, a first for me. Some updates -- Chinese Ruby I believe has closed since the reference to it last July. Also Los Tapatios has been closed for about a year, unless it's reopened, near 86th & Ditch. Amalfi's is one of, if not the best, Italian in town, strong competition with Mama Corolla's.

The reference to Jasmine is Jasmine Thai, probably the best Thai in town, although some would argue that's Sawasdee. Coincidently, taking my niece out for Thai today, but at neither of those places. We also had a very nice dinner in Bloomington a couple weeks ago at Esan Thai.

Mmmmmmmmm, tenderloins.
    There is another location for Sahm's, it's downtown in what used to be the First Indiana bldg @ Delaware and Ohio I believe. From my experience in the decades long search for the best tenderloin, IMO second place. First place belongs to Friendly's Tavern in Zionsville. Although I am intrigued by the reference to Rosedale and expect a road trip in my immediate future.

Beyond Yat's and Gumbo-a-go-go, give Zydeco 5 a try down in Mooresville.
    Not inexpensive, upscale, marvelous dishes.

Favorite pizza -- Puchini's and Some Guys.

I can't believe NO ONE has mentioned my favorite website --
    http://www.indyethnicfood.com
    Check out the Top 10 list. If you're on the search for high quality/unusual food, this place is a must. Some of the places mentioned in this thread get high marks from the members there: Sawasdee, Kebab Korner, Amalfi's, Mama Corolla's, Jasmine Thai, etc.

My personal Top 10 in no particular order--
    Yats, Sesame, Rathskeller, Greek Islands, Santorini's, Amalfi's, Ocean World, Shapiro's, Barcelona Tapas, Bosphorus
    Last edited by Knucklehead Warrior; 10-18-2008 at 03:55 AM. Reason: .
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

Went to Foga Da Chao which has been mentioned here before. I just wanted to give my opinion because I am not one to usually go out looking for steaks, ribs, prime rib and such, but the meat was great (not to mention the salad bar which was good enough alone). This place was a neat experience that anyone should check out.

Just bumping this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead Warrior View Post
    Also Los Tapatios has been closed for about a year, unless it's reopened, near 86th & Ditch.
    That's disappointing - I was heading to Castleton from Broad Ripple on Saturday and thought about stopping in but I was running late.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Southern gourmet in charlotte nc off of monroe road. Its a little place in a small office complex that will go unnoticed by all but the locals. Excellent food with a gourmet style. Reasonably priced too about ten dollars for lunch. If your in the area I highly recommend

Also vocellis pizza just opened in huntersville. Excellent italian style pizza

No more visits to Charlotte for me...now I have to start finding restaurants in Terre Haute and in Pittman, NJ.

Mood

This is for Count,

Terre Haute is the king of the chain. There are a few places, but they usually aren't anywhere near the main streets. I have been in Indy for 6 years now so maybe some of the other native Hautians here can help me out a bit.

Pizza - Maurizio's, hands down best in TH. It's thin, northern Italian style. I really like their pizza, but I've had some tell me it's not their cup of tea as well. There used to be one on Wabash east of 25th street. Don't know if it's still there or not, but the one I used to go to was on Lafayette Road just north of Otter Creek Middle School.

There are two Italian places worth mentioning. Louise's is on south 3rd street across from the ISU campus. Pino's Il Sonnetto is on Springhill near Terre Haute Regional Hospital.

Mogger's Brewery is at 9th and Poplar streets. It has good food and a HUUUUUGE selection of microbrews, including many from Indiana.

Homey's BBQ is the absolute BOMB. Can't remember the exact address but it's on 13th street many blocks south of Wabash. Try it during Colts camp and you might run into a few players in the evenings.

The best steakhouse is Stables, it's next door to Mogger's from above and is owned by the same folks. They also own a place over on Wabash called Frog's, and another place over in Casey Illinois called Richard's Farm.

If you like Wings go to the Terminal on Wabash by the ISU Hulman Center. They have mild, medium, hot, and TERMINAL spicy. When they say TERMINAL they mean it.
    Last edited by travmil; 01-13-2009 at 12:20 PM.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Had several varieties of Union Jack's pizza when I was in Indy. I thought time and the experience of tasting so many great pizzas across the country (Chicago, New York, etc. would somehow taint my memory of Union Jacks, and if I had it, it wouldn't be as good after all those experiences.

On the contrary, I had a newfound appreciation for it. It is world class pizza, with an approach and flavor all it's own. Indy is lucky to have Union Jack's.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

This is for Count,

Terre Haute is the king of the chain. There are a few places, but they usually aren't anywhere near the main streets. I have been in Indy for 6 years now so maybe some of the other native Hautians here can help me out a bit.

Pizza - Maurizio's, hands down best in TH. It's thin, northern Italian style. I really like their pizza, but I've had some tell me it's not their cup of tea as well. There used to be one on Wabash east of 25th street. Don't know if it's still there or not, but the one I used to go to was on Lafayette Road just north of Otter Creek Middle School.

There are two Italian places worth mentioning. Louise's is on south 3rd street across from the ISU campus. Pino's Il Sonnetto is on Springhill near Terre Haute Regional Hospital.

Mogger's Brewery is at 9th and Poplar streets. It has good food and a HUUUUUGE selection of microbrews, including many from Indiana.

Homey's BBQ is the absolute BOMB. Can't remember the exact address but it's on 13th street many blocks south of Wabash. Try it during Colts camp and you might run into a few players in the evenings.

The best steakhouse is Stables, it's next door to Mogger's from above and is owned by the same folks. They also own a place over on Wabash called Frog's, and another place over in Casey Illinois called Richard's Farm.

If you like Wings go to the Terminal on Wabash by the ISU Hulman Center. They have mild, medium, hot, and TERMINAL spicy. When they say TERMINAL they mean it.
    Cool thanks...I'll have to figure out where that is...I'm working north of 40 on Fruitridge.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Cool thanks...I'll have to figure out where that is...I'm working north of 40 on Fruitridge.
    40 and Wabash are the same street. How far north? A lot of the places I mentioned are pretty far away with the exception of Maurizio's Pizza.

[edit]BTW, where are you working. There aren't very many places along there and most of them are pretty well known in the TH area. If you don't wanna say here maybe a PM?[/edit]
    Last edited by travmil; 01-14-2009 at 02:45 PM.

40 and Wabash are the same street. How far north? A lot of the places I mentioned are pretty far away with the exception of Maurizio's Pizza.

[edit]BTW, where are you working. There aren't very many places along there and most of them are pretty well known in the TH area. If you don't wanna say here maybe a PM?[/edit]
    Sony DADC

I forgot how much I like 3 Sisters Cafe in Broad Ripple. It's a great place for Brunch. It's run out of an old house in Broad Ripple and they use alot of local products. Try the Grilled cheese and stay away from the Calico Potatoes.

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned, but Sakura on Keystone is very good Japanese, always crowded though so service can be an issue.

I like Jasmine Thai alot, never had a bad dish there, and they always have great service.

Speaking of Pad Thai, One place that has closed down in the a past couple of years. Nothing But Noodles on 96th Street. They have the best Pad Thai I've ever had. It was sweet but alittle spicy, They always gave you a lime for it, and you got those little bread sticks. I believe they were bought out by Noodles Company, their PadThai sucks, worst I've ever had.

Miyuki which is now in the old Nothing but Noodles location, has a very nice atmosphere, but their food stinks for the most part. Watery sauces with no flavor, and a weird selection of vegetables for a japanese place.

El Torito Grill at Keystone Crossing, sucks big time, they don't even give you chips and salsa, you get a flabby mexican crepe' to which you tear off peices and dip them in salsa. That lasts all of about 1 minute. For a price you pay you should get chips and salsa.

I have not tried Capri yet, but I will now thanks to this thread.

There is a tiny Chinese place behand Sakura on 71st and Keystone next to the fire station. Anyone ever been there?

I highly recommend the Working Man's Friend. Very good cheeseburgers for reasonable price. Goes well with giant goblet of beer.
    I was ready for Josh Smith to go to Indiana, but he went to the NBA. I am ready for him to come to Indiana once again.

Quote Originally Posted by tinsley#11 View Post
    I highly recommend the Working Man's Friend. Very good cheeseburgers for reasonable price. Goes well with giant goblet of beer.
    Yup...good place...one of the very few places with Braunschweiger on the menu.

Not too far from there is Judge's BBQ...best in town...get the corn casserole on the side.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Yup...good place...one of the very few places with Braunschweiger on the menu.

Not too far from there is Judge's BBQ...best in town...get the corn casserole on the side.
    Personally I don't know why one would ever order that, but hey if that's your thing, go to the Bierstube in North Terre Haute. Just south of Ft. Harrison Road on Lafayette. They have that, and a large variety of sausages and schnitzels, very German. In fact several of the older waitresses still have their German accents. My grandmother (again, very German) grew up with the kids of the family that owned it. There's also a decent Italian place called Carosi's on the other side of the street.

Another thing you should check out in TH, in May they have Straussenfest, or Sloshenfest as the ISU students have come to call it. Basically an excuse for grown men to put on their lederhosen, get EXTREMELY wasted, and eat bratwurst, while dancing to really bad German polka music. But I'll be damned if it ain't some of the best fun to be had in TH.
    Last edited by travmil; 01-17-2009 at 08:40 AM.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Northsiders: If you enjoy cajun food try Mudbugs in Carmel. They have a buffet on Mondays that is fantastic and cheap. The food is similar to Yats.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Mood

Amazing Joes in Muncie Is very good. It's a mix of american/italian. Great burgers, steaks, and pastas. And it's cheap! big portions for small price, You just can't go wrong there.
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers