Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The restaurant review thread

Default Re: The restaurant review thread

Went to Rasika in Chinatown this last weekend. Very good Indian food. No sporks.

http://www.rasikarestaurant.com/

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Was in New York for a couple of weeks. The people I stayed with were both vegetarian (one is even vegan), and are both servers at high-class Vegan restaurants. I ate at both:

PURE Food and Wine, Union Square, Manhattan.
    http://www.purefoodandwine.com/

You know the scene in Sex and the City when Samantha meets Smith for the first time? He's working in a "raw" restaurant, which is short for vegan (no animal products whatsoever) and nothing cooked over 120 degrees (meaning nothing is "softened" or otherwise chemically altered by heat).

The cocktails were quite wonderful, made from unfiltered Saki and various fruits and flowers. I ordered a caesar salad and didn't even miss the cheese or the anchovy flavor. There was some sort of sliced nut stuff that replicated parmesan nicely.

The entree was OK, (some kind of tamale) but nothing to write home about. The portion was so tiny I could have put it in my shirt pocket.

Then the bill came. There were three of us and the bill was $325.

At least I could say that I had been there.

Candle 79, Upper East Side, Manhattan
    http://www.candlecafe.com/

Now this was more like it. Everything was local and organic and they had probably the best BBQ seitan I've ever tasted. Plus, they had beer and a comparatively substantial wine list for not too much money. The deserts were Absolutely Amazing. I'm using capital letters so you know I mean it. I couldn't believe they could make desert so rich and decadent without using eggs or dairy of any kind. Bill for 1: $60.

Moral of the story: Yes the celebs go to Pure, but if you really want a feast and a great environment for half the money, go to Candle 79. I wish there were one near my house.
    Last edited by Los Angeles; 08-04-2008 at 08:06 PM.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://amandamc.blogspot.com/2008/04...monwealth.html

I live like three blocks from this brand new restaurant in DC that I am going to try to drag Mrs. DC to this weekend. We live in a gentrifying neighborhood so I try to support the local businesses that are being put in place.

I am going to try this place out and keep an open mind, but I have some problems with it before even going.

1. I've been to England many a time, and the local fare is nothing to write home about. Having a restaurant boasting a British cuisine is like having a fashion show based off of Bentonville, Arkansas high fashion.

2. The restaurant is called Commonwealth, the "People's Gastropub" as if it is some sort of hotbed for communist activity. I just can't see Stalin or Mao shucking out 16 bucks for fish and chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

The entree was OK, (some kind of tamale) but nothing to write home about. The portion was so tiny I could have put it in my shirt pocket.

Then the bill came. There were three of us and the bill was $325.
    Man, this place must bring in a hell of a profit.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    Man, this place must bring in a hell of a profit.
    Nah. They're paying rent for a nice location in Manhattan.

I've had a $22 bacon cheeeseburger in a dive deli in Times Square.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    I don't know if they have Noodle & Company in Indy, it's a chain that's pretty popular in the DC/MD/VA area.

If anyone else has ever had it, is it just me or are the portion sizes incredibly small?
    They have them in Indy. I'd say the portion sizes are average.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    I live in Charlotte, so most of my reviews will be from here.

All of those you posted are good though.

Spent many a nights in Vinnie's.

Also try Momma Fu's Noodle House for some fast Thai.
    Russon's in the Park Road Neighborhood for some excellent sushi.
    Brixx Wood Fired Pizza(several locations)
    Kim's Kitchen in Stanley(good home cooking)
    RO's Barbecue in Gastonia(Eastern Carolina style BBQ)
    Hit "Vinnie's on the Lake" last night...it was pretty much the same as Vinnie's downtown...then hit Joel's Asian Grill for a little sushi...finished the evening at the "Rusty Rudder"...still recovering.

Went to Paula Deen's restaurant in Savannah, GA tonight. Had the crab stew, fried shrimp and oysters, and a lemonade to drink. Had key lime pie for dessert. The crab stew was excellent. The shrimp and oysters were good, but nothing special. The lemonade was very good. The key lime pie was very good, but not very tart. It was more sweet.

The eating in Hilton Head has been very good. We've gone to a lot of different places so far. Best clam chowder I've had was at a place called the Skillet. Had some very good cheesecake at the local Hilton Head diner. Had lobster macaroni and cheese at a place called Frankie Bone's. It was different, but good.
    Went to a wings place called Wild Wings cafe on Sunday night. Little did we know it is the place for all the Redskins fans to gather. The food was good, but we waited almost a hour and a half for a table so it really wasn't worth it.

Lotus in Gastonia, NC. Eclectic menu, including steaks, seafood, sushi, etc. I sampled the spider roll, spicy tuna roll...the best was the crab ngiri...outstanding.

Had Pork Tenderloin saltimbocca...delicious.

Went to Tomato Pie for lunch yesterday. (located at 96th and College) Southern Italy pizza is how they advertise it. Crust is about as thin as you can get it - which I liked. The flavor of the pizza was good -but overall it wasn't nearly as good as places like Puchini's, Some Guys, or Bazbeaux.

Perhaps, I didn't get the type of pizza they are best at - I just got a pepperoni - maybe one of their speciality pizzas are better.

Overall, I won't be going back anytime soon - but maybe in 4 or 5 months, I might try it again.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 08-08-2008 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Hit "Vinnie's on the Lake" last night...it was pretty much the same as Vinnie's downtown...then hit Joel's Asian Grill for a little sushi...finished the evening at the "Rusty Rudder"...still recovering.
    What are you doing in my neck of the woods? You are literally hanging around my area. My best friend lives in the aprartments next to the Rusty Rudder.

I was back in Atlanta yesterday.

Baby Tommy's New York Pizza again! I love that place. Its on Cobb Parkway out about a mile past the airforce base.

Excellent Pizza. Tried the Chiken Bacon Ranch Pizza yesterday. VERY VERY good.

What are you doing in my neck of the woods? You are literally hanging around my area. My best friend lives in the aprartments next to the Rusty Rudder.
    I have a plant in King's Mountain (Grover, actually). My former company had a plant in Charlotte, near 77 & Harris Blvd on Old Statesville road. I went out with one of my former co-workers Tuesday night, and could've used an apartment next to the Rusty Rudder because the 45 mile drive back to my hotel at 1:30 in the morning wasn't the best experience I've ever had.

Well, I would say during Pacers season if you're down here, we could go watch a game, but the lielyhood of finding a pacers game on TV here is slim to none. Scratch that, its negative slim to none........Unless they are playing the Boobcats.....

Ate at the Salty Dog Cafe today. It was alright. Not worth the pain in the *** to find parking though.

If you get to Frankfort and want Mexican I can recommend Los Tres Hermanos and La Pasidita. LTH is actually a grocery store but they make a mean burrito and a pretty good taco. The Torte's and taco's at La Pasidita are very good.

Not fine dining - just food.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

'nother one in Charlotte:

eeZ Fusion & Sushi (lotta sushi this week...go figure) Had the kani nigiri and they have a "make your own stir fry" that's kind of like a Mongolian BBQ.

It's in Huntersville at the Birkdale Village. Oh, and the "scenery" was very nice on a balmy North Carolina evening.

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt View Post
    Went to Rasika in Chinatown this last weekend. Very good Indian food. No sporks.

http://www.rasikarestaurant.com/
    Went here last night solely based off of your review. Loved it, my South Asian gf loved it. Good times all around. Thanks. The puri was excellent, as were the lamb chops.

streets ahead

hmmm i guess i should go back and try something else. i wasn't all that thrilled with what i got at rasika but i guess i should give it another chance.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    'nother one in Charlotte:

eeZ Fusion & Sushi (lotta sushi this week...go figure) Had the kani nigiri and they have a "make your own stir fry" that's kind of like a Mongolian BBQ.

It's in Huntersville at the Birkdale Village. Oh, and the "scenery" was very nice on a balmy North Carolina evening.
    One of my favorite resturants. And Birkdale is a place we spend a lot of time in. Lots of good scenery.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I went to the new Scholars Inn on Mass Ave over the weekend. Wow that is the coolest, classiest restaurant I have ever been too. Won't be for everyone. It is pricey - with tip it was $112.00 (for two) and we didn't have desert, or salad and each of us had only 1 drink. But if you want to impress your date - it is a great place to go. I've never seen an interior like that - hard to describe - food was excellent also. If you want to have a dinning experience that you wont soon forget, I highly recommend it.

http://www.scholarsinn.com/IndyLounge/index.html

The pictures on the website give a decent idea of what the interior looks like -
    My buddy's company did some of the wall hangings for the place. However I will also add for those that are sensitive to such situations that on the weekends we've noted that it attracts a crowd that is mostly interested in dating other men. On the flipside if that is your thing then consider that something of a recommendation.

Frankly I find it slightly gay-snob mixed with the Beetlejuice house post-remodeling. A bit too trendy for my taste. The pricing coincides with that. I'm more likely to go to Chattam Tap for a drink at this point. However I've yet to eat there so I can't address that.

Some other places we eat from time to time.

If you like Scottish food or just want to do some Scotch tasting then try McNivens on Mass Ave closer toward town.

Oceanaire - can't go wrong there

Mo's, A place for steaks - another pricey but worth it place. Solid service

Mortons - most people know what they are getting with them, pricey but typically solid.

Mikado - I always get the Shashimi tunu which come in high quality thick slices, but it's a great overall sushi place. Good service

Weber Grill - I know one of the main chefs there so I'm biased. Not everything they have is to my taste but I do enjoy their meatloaf. So far I've been really impressed with the service too.

Harry and Izzys - I'm torn on it. This is the off-shoot of St. Elmo's and it's slightly less pricey and certainly has an interesting layout, but it's not made a great impression up till now on me.

Rock Bottom - I really like RB personally, but as a chain most people are familiar with their microbrews and pub-style dinners. Good mid-level price.

Dunaways - used to be better than St Elmo IMO but I've had a few experiences that were just blah. Could be the staff at the time, who knows. I need to check back. Rooftop dining with one of the best angles of the city.

The Ram is standard pub dining not unlike Rock Bottom but we still like it at times. However the service usually sucks when we go.

Over on the canal there are two new places and I can at least recommend one for modest prices and killer view.
    CREATION CAFE. Sit outside and enjoy the view of the canal/downtown. Get entrees in the 10-15 range. Moderate cost drinks.

There is a more formal place right above it but the name escapes me. Both are at the north end of the canal down around 10th street right by the Clarian building. You can park on 10th for free or wherever your favorite canal parking is if you like to walk before/after your dinner. We walked from home when we went.

For near canal (Indy Ave/Senate I think)
    I've yet to eat at Bourbon Street but it always looks like a good time for the people sitting outside for dinner, especially when they have a little live music going. Usually some upbeat jazz or swing from what I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I used to work in that area - what type of food are you looking for. When you say 82nd and Keystone you mean Keystone at the Crossing?

The best barbeque ribs in the city without question are available at Scotty's Brewhouse - on east 96th street.
    Wouldn't you know it, I met my wife for lunch the other day and went there for the first time. Got the chicken. I hadn't read this thread yet.

Mama Carolla's is fine, but usually nuts and crowded.

Brewpub - I'm just meh about the cheese and bread but everyone else I know loves it.

We did the run up to Bonge's near Anderson. If you haven't been, you get a reservation but they have no area for pre-meal gathering, so people just tailgate in the parking lot. Bring your own appetizers and drinks, plus lawn chairs. Sit in a gravel parking lot and BS while you wait for your reservation to come up. Sounds odd but it works. Food is a bit pricey but no more than most nice places. Menu is LIMITED to the extreme, about 5 appetizers, 7-8 entrees, no subs on anything, but what they do serve is excellent.

I live in Charlotte, so most of my reviews will be from here.

All of those you posted are good though.

Spent many a nights in Vinnie's.

Also try Momma Fu's Noodle House for some fast Thai.
    Russon's in the Park Road Neighborhood for some excellent sushi.
    Brixx Wood Fired Pizza(several locations)
    Kim's Kitchen in Stanley(good home cooking)
    RO's Barbecue in Gastonia(Eastern Carolina style BBQ)
    On a Charlotte note, my favorite Palm so far is the one in Charlotte. When my dad and uncle still lived there we'd go all the time. I was excited when I got to Houston and they had one but it wasn't the same. Vegas was even worse.

But you and Count as supposed to be doing exclusives on all the fish farms for the best blackened fish.

There's this local joint in my neighborhood where you can eat good called Applebees. There's this framed and autographed photo of the retired basketball coach from the high school. Real unique place. ****ty food though.

Weber Grill meatloaf is freakin' delicious.