Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 337

Thread: The restaurant review thread

  1. #51
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,698

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    I have yet to find an excellent non-ethnic/traditional place in DC food-wise, which is astounding. There are some good French places and some Italian but do those count?
    Absolutely my thoughts. I have recently been to both Mienyu and Tony and Joe's in Georgetown. I thought Mienyu was pretty decent, but then again I ordered the Afghan 5 course sampler and the wine for each course, it was pretty good but I don't know if it was $75.00 good. Nobody else in my party was particularly enthused about the restaurant though, and it ended up being $500.00 for 5 people. I had a little bit of their salmon as well which was unimpressive: I could season it just as well at home (I love to cook). The decor was very flashy but there was, as you say, not a lot of substance.

    Tony and Joe's was similar. The place tried really hard to cater to the DC elite and its spot on the waterfront is impeccable, but the food tasted like it came from a can. The decor really wasn't all that amazing either, it was more of just the good location. I had like 32 dollar or so crabcakes there that were purported to be "DC's best" and they were okay but pretty meh.

    If you like or want to try West African food the Bukom Cafe in Adams Morgan is really good. I have always had a good meal there and as a white guy in there they act like I am some sort of novelty but in a good way. It gets jam packed on the weekend nights so I usually go there because it gets crazy after work and just eat some good food and shoot the **** with the bartenders.

  2. #52
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,845

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have you tried Capri?
    Good call.......

    http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-...4&postcount=56

    http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-...ad.php?t=12776
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  3. #53

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    For those in the South Pas area. This is a good place to impress someone.

    http://www.bistrodelagare.com/
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

    "'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

  4. #54
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Absolutely my thoughts. I have recently been to both Mienyu and Tony and Joe's in Georgetown. I thought Mienyu was pretty decent, but then again I ordered the Afghan 5 course sampler and the wine for each course, it was pretty good but I don't know if it was $75.00 good. Nobody else in my party was particularly enthused about the restaurant though, and it ended up being $500.00 for 5 people. I had a little bit of their salmon as well which was unimpressive: I could season it just as well at home (I love to cook). The decor was very flashy but there was, as you say, not a lot of substance.

    Tony and Joe's was similar. The place tried really hard to cater to the DC elite and its spot on the waterfront is impeccable, but the food tasted like it came from a can. The decor really wasn't all that amazing either, it was more of just the good location. I had like 32 dollar or so crabcakes there that were purported to be "DC's best" and they were okay but pretty meh.

    If you like or want to try West African food the Bukom Cafe in Adams Morgan is really good. I have always had a good meal there and as a white guy in there they act like I am some sort of novelty but in a good way. It gets jam packed on the weekend nights so I usually go there because it gets crazy after work and just eat some good food and shoot the **** with the bartenders.
    The Tony and Joe's review is spot on - those crabcakes might be "DC's best" (that doesn't say a lot...). Thanks for the Bukom Cafe tip. I'm definitely going to try it. I haven't had lots of non-Ethiopian African food so I'll definitely give it a shot.

    By the way, I think I've seen you mention that your girlfriend is Jamaican, what is your/her favorite Caribbean place in DC? I've been looking for some "go-to" Caribbean places.

  5. #55
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,757

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    not to go all euro on your dc ethnic food humpfest or anything, but cafe bonaparte in georgetown is fantastic. i've only been to the sister location (napoleon bistro in adams morgan) once but it seems equally reliable. if you go, try the budapest crepe. marseille is high quality too.

    there is a kickass lamb dip sandwich at a place called fado just down the street from NPR me and a couple of friends/co-workers have become obsessed with.

    re: five guys -- sweet unholy mercy, you can literally feel it destroying your heart with each obscenely delicious bite.

    some of the last few things on my open table account:

    acadiana is pretty good n'awlins cuisine but pricey.

    rasika upscale indian. i didn't enjoy what i had but others have enjoyed it quite a bit. i tend to prefer stuff in Adams Morgan.

    aria trattoria -- meh. it wasn't bad but it certainly wasn't anything special.

    georgia browns, good stuff. southern influenced comfort food type menu.

    tunnicliff's tavern solid not all that special.



    question for DC people: anyone try the belga cafe in eastern market?
    This is the darkest timeline.

  6. #56

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Belga cafe has a delicious brunch. I haven't tried it for any other meal yet.

  7. #57
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,845

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Just got back from Peterson's.

    The sesame tuna special was outstanding.......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  8. #58
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,069
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Your favorite downtown Indianapolis restaurant

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK we went for our dinner today. I will say the food was very good. Was it good enough for what our boss paid for it? Probably not. For those that didn't check out the link, the place is an all you can eat brazillian style steakhouse. They grill the meat on a spit and bring it out tableside. They slice it off the spit right onto your plate. They have 15 various kinds to try, and you can try them all. The best cut that I tried was most definitely the leg of lamb, but they also had filet mignon, ribeye, top and bottom sirloin, and two kinds of ribs. We went for lunch, which was $25 per person. The waitress told us that Dinner is $50 but there is no difference, the same food is offered at both times. Atmosphere was great. They decorated very well, lots of hardwoods and modern fixtures, very masculine I guess you could say. Waitstaff was excellent. Great salad bar that came with the all you can eat price. Even though the meal was overall great, I would not say it would be worth $75 for two people ($25 each plus drinks, desert, tip). It certainly wouldn't be worth $100 plus for the dinner hour. I'm glad our boss picked up the tab. It was over $900 for 23 people.

    I was actually part of the first group to ever eat in Indy's Fogo de Chao. I had a great time. Probably not worth the full price, but damn, I loved the lamb...and the bacon wrapped chicken was excellent...
    Last edited by Stryder; 07-23-2008 at 10:25 PM.

  9. #59
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,857

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just got back from Peterson's.

    The sesame tuna special was outstanding.......
    The food is very good, but I wasn't a huge fan of the atmosphere - too stuffy, too formal

  10. #60
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,718

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    suprsingly one of the best bbq places I've ever been to is right here in Indianapolis.

    http://www.squealersbbq.biz/index.php

    These are the guys who win at Rib America a lot and at other bbq competitions.

    The bbq is not as good at the restraunt as it is when they are competing, however it is about as good as any place I've been to for bbq.

  11. #61
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,857

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    suprsingly one of the best bbq places I've ever been to is right here in Indianapolis.

    http://www.squealersbbq.biz/index.php

    These are the guys who win at Rib America a lot and at other bbq competitions.

    The bbq is not as good at the restraunt as it is when they are competing, however it is about as good as any place I've been to for bbq.
    I've driven by that place many times and wondered if it was any good. I'll have to try it

  12. #62
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,631

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    I ate at Peterson's once, and was very disappointed.

    The food - steaks - were just OK.

    But the waiter was an ***. Just as arrogant as could be.

    Just because you know steaks and wine, doesn't mean that you know everything. And even if you're Stephen Hawking, you're the waiter, I'm the customer.

    Don't try to convince me that Guinness in the bottle is 'just as good' as draft. I know some Irish guys who'd kill you and leave you in a ditch for even suggesting it.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  13. #63
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,130

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Guinness in the bottle is made differently from draft Guinness I believe. I think I read that somewhere. Then again that was probably false.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  14. #64
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,698

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    By the way, I think I've seen you mention that your girlfriend is Jamaican, what is your/her favorite Caribbean place in DC? I've been looking for some "go-to" Caribbean places.
    Understandably since she's lived 18 of her 25 years in Jamaica she is kind of picky about Caribbean food here..but she has told me repeatedly that a place called "Sweet Mango's" is the best followed by another place called Spicy Delights, which is really just a hole in the wall takeout place while in SM you can sit down. Sweet Mango's is definately the most authentic, though. Negril isn't bad either, but a lot of people that work there are Hispanic, and I mean this is the most PC way possible, but their influence (most of them weren't born in the US) spills over to the preparation of the dishes so it's not as authentic as the other places.

    I don't know the exact addresses but I have been to all those places and they are easy to find via a Yahoo or Google search.

  15. #65
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Understandably since she's lived 18 of her 25 years in Jamaica she is kind of picky about Caribbean food here..but she has told me repeatedly that a place called "Sweet Mango's" is the best followed by another place called Spicy Delights, which is really just a hole in the wall takeout place while in SM you can sit down. Sweet Mango's is definately the most authentic, though. Negril isn't bad either, but a lot of people that work there are Hispanic, and I mean this is the most PC way possible, but their influence (most of them weren't born in the US) spills over to the preparation of the dishes so it's not as authentic as the other places.

    I don't know the exact addresses but I have been to all those places and they are easy to find via a Yahoo or Google search.
    Sweet Mango's sounds familiar...I'm definitely going to try those places out - I have been craving Caribbean and oxtail in specific lately...

  16. #66
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,698

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sweet Mango's sounds familiar...I'm definitely going to try those places out - I have been craving Caribbean and oxtail in specific lately...
    Actually had some oxtail from Negril last night- it was really good and according to her one of the best things on their menu.

  17. #67
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,069
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    I'll be in Washington DC next week. And I will have lots of free time. I need some good steak houses, some good italian places, or even seafood...

    Also, any other things to do (other than the normal stuff, i.e. Monuments, Memorials, Museums, etc.)... ???

  18. #68
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,305
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    I went over and tried out Papa Roux's tonight as suggested by Erik earlier. I got the muffaletta po' boy and my wife got the pork po' boy. Both were very good. I wanted a shrimp po' boy but they were out of shrimp already. Something weird (in a good way), their waiter is the owner's 10 year old son...and he's good. Definitely worth a look. We'll be returning.
    Last edited by travmil; 07-25-2008 at 09:05 PM.

  19. #69
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,718

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Ok if you don't mind a little bit of a drive up to Lebanon this place is out of this world good as well. Not as good as squeelers but it is very suprising that this is in Lebanon.

    They have the absolute best corn chowder I have ever had.

    http://www.parkyssmokehouse.com/Parkys_Home.html

  20. #70
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,857

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Went to Stir Crazy over thre weekend. Very similar to PF Chang's. But I like PF, so I like Stir Crazy a lot. For Chinese it isn't cheap though. - Each entree was $13.25 and the portions weren't huge like a lot of the smaller chinese places - but I enjoyed it

  21. #71
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,305
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Went to Stir Crazy over thre weekend. Very similar to PF Chang's. But I like PF, so I like Stir Crazy a lot. For Chinese it isn't cheap though. - Each entree was $13.25 and the portions weren't huge like a lot of the smaller chinese places - but I enjoyed it
    We went to the one in Grenwood shortly after it opened and were less than impressed. I suppose we could have gotten them on a bad night, but I doubt we ever give them a chance to try again. I too was disappointed by the portion size for the price. I'm fine with small portions as long as the price matches. Even so, I thought the taste of the food that was there was actually pretty bland. We also had a bad watiress who kept letting our drinks go dry and pouted to her manager when we didn't tip her because of it. The manager asked us why and we told him. He said that they were very busy and we "drank too fast". Yes he seriously said that.

  22. #72
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,130

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    RE: Stir Crazy

    I went to the one in Castleton about a month ago, and I thought it was average at best. I got the Pad Thai and it was incredibly bland and had NO spice to it at all. In fact it was pretty sweet or sugary. It just didn't have any kick to it.

    Also, I used to like PF Chang's a lot, but now everything there taste the same to me so I don't find it as good anymore.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  23. #73
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,857

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    RE: Stir Crazy

    I went to the one in Castleton about a month ago, and I thought it was average at best. I got the Pad Thai and it was incredibly bland and had NO spice to it at all. In fact it was pretty sweet or sugary. It just didn't have any kick to it.

    Also, I used to like PF Chang's a lot, but now everything there taste the same to me so I don't find it as good anymore.
    That is weird, I had the exact same thing yesterday, and I was commenting how it did have a little kick to it. Thought it was very good. My favorite Chinese place is Bei Jing - 79th and Fall Creek. Their Garlic Chicken is excellent - but i think everything is really good there. But generally their food isn't very hot, so if you like it hot tell them and they will do that for you
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 07-29-2008 at 08:29 AM.

  24. #74
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,130

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Well, maybe I just got a bad batch. I might try it again. Like I said I did think it was horrible and we tried some of the appetizers as well which were pretty good.

    I'm just an authentic guy I guess, so my Pad Thai standards are high from going to places like Sawasdee, Esan Thai, etc. Both of those places are run by Thai families and it shows up in their food.

    I honestly thought Noodles and Company Pad Thai had more kick than the Stir Crazy Pad Thai, and Noodles and Co. is pretty mild.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  25. #75
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,857

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, maybe I just got a bad batch. I might try it again. Like I said I did think it was horrible and we tried some of the appetizers as well which were pretty good.

    I'm just an authentic guy I guess, so my Pad Thai standards are high from going to places like Sawasdee, Esan Thai, etc. Both of those places are run by Thai families and it shows up in their food.

    I honestly thought Noodles and Company Pad Thai had more kick than the Stir Crazy Pad Thai, and Noodles and Co. is pretty mild.
    You are probably right, Sawasdee is probably better for Thai - their food is good - but the location isn't good for me and the interior of that place is a little strange. Overall for Thai I like the Thai cafe in Broad Ripple better.

    Have you ever been to the Jasmine on 96th street - I never have

Similar Threads

  1. Thinking about a move "back" to Indianapolis...should I or shouldn't I?
    By idioteque in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 04-30-2012, 02:25 AM
  2. Indianapolis awarded 2012 Super Bowl
    By duke dynamite in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-23-2008, 07:13 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-14-2008, 10:32 PM
  4. JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-09-2008, 08:36 AM
  5. Kansas City at Indianapolis – Game thread – 11/18/07
    By Lord Helmet in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 11-19-2007, 12:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •