Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: The restaurant review thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The restaurant review thread

The Bosphorus on South East St. Great Turkish restaurant.

Some years ago I started the Tenderloin thread here and got some good suggestions. In this thread as in the old one, there is mention of Nick's in Huntington as a great place to get a tenderloin.

Today I was in Huntington to seek out Nick's, supposedly (or supposively as we say in Hoosierese) where the tenderloin originated.

It was good, but not top notch. Not quite the flavor, beaten a bit thin, OK breading, but not great, no toasted bun. I can only think of 3 tenderloins that I prefer -- Friendly's Tavern in Zionsville, Sahm's, Muldoon's in Carmel. That doesn't make Nick's #4 however, but it's right up there, definitely Top 10, but definitely not Top 3, somewhere in the neighborhood of Edward's Drive-In, John's Famous Stew, etc.

Here's a tenderloin lover's blog that I refer to often:
    http://breadedtenderloin.wordpress.com/ I've been meaning to try Nickel Plate in Noblesville, but this guy thought them greasy, so haven't gotten around to it.

Anybody else got a favorite?
    Last edited by Knucklehead Warrior; 10-24-2011 at 05:04 PM. Reason: .
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

And here's another great link: http://www.roadfood.com/
    Apparently they make great tenderloins in Iowa.

McRib is back.

Bit heavy on the sauce last time.

I wondered what happened to this thread.

Anyone ever eat at Oakley's Bistro? Probably my favorite Indianapolis restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why do I ever go to Panda Express - everytime I do I regret it. Will never go back - overpriced horrible chinese food
    LOL, I actually saw you at Panda awhile back. I was in a rush so I didn't say hi but Panda is some terrible chinese.

I need to try out Oakleys.

For those who like sushi I like Kazaams (sit at the bar and talk to the chefs) and the Buddha lounge (Buddha is a cigar place and I don't smoke but you can sit out side Mass ave).

My favorite Thia food is Jasmines on 96th and gray rd and the best Indian food I have had is Ambers on Merdian and 126th.

Favorite french place went out of business in Ripple I think it was called the traveler.

McNivens is interesting as Seth said. I never had scottish food before so I couldn't tell if its the real deal but its odd (whole boiled eggs wrapped in delicious sausage).

For Pizza to be honest I think they are very similar around Indy but for deep dish I don't know why but I like Uno's. I think they put narcotics in the crust.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 10-25-2011 at 06:10 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead Warrior View Post
    Some years ago I started the Tenderloin thread here and got some good suggestions. In this thread as in the old one, there is mention of Nick's in Huntington as a great place to get a tenderloin.

Today I was in Huntington to seek out Nick's, supposedly (or supposively as we say in Hoosierese) where the tenderloin originated.

It was good, but not top notch. Not quite the flavor, beaten a bit thin, OK breading, but not great, no toasted bun. I can only think of 3 tenderloins that I prefer -- Friendly's Tavern in Zionsville, Sahm's, Muldoon's in Carmel. That doesn't make Nick's #4 however, but it's right up there, definitely Top 10, but definitely not Top 3, somewhere in the neighborhood of Edward's Drive-In, John's Famous Stew, etc.

Here's a tenderloin lover's blog that I refer to often:
    http://breadedtenderloin.wordpress.com/ I've been meaning to try Nickel Plate in Noblesville, but this guy thought them greasy, so haven't gotten around to it.

Im a fan of the tenderloin from Teddy's Burger Joint down on the southside of Indy. I know what you're thinking "A good tenderloin from a burger joint?" yes!

Their burgers are pretty darn good to. I get their Cheese burger with bacon and BBQ sauce whenever i don't get the tenderloin.

edit: here is the address for Teddy's
    2222 W. Southport Rd Suite A Indianapolis IN 46217 Phone: (317) 893-2791
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

The Grill 2 up Pendleton Pike near McCordsville has an excellent tenderloin. Actually, everything I've had on their menu is really good. The have a Hawaiian burger - cooked with teriyaki sauce, slice of pineapple on it - which really hit the spot.

Highly recommended.

Mood

If you are ever in the area of Lapel and have a desire for a tenderloin the American Legion makes a killer tenderloin made by the veterans. I get one at every opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    LOL, I actually saw you at Panda awhile back. I was in a rush so I didn't say hi but Panda is some terrible chinese.

I need to try out Oakleys.

My favorite Thia food is Jasmines on 96th and gray rd and the best Indian food I have had is Ambers on Merdian and 126th.
    You didn't say hi, how long would that take? 2 minutes? Fine. Thats Ok, I must have been on my lunch break, so I was probably in a hurry.

Have you trid Siam Square, downtown - that is IMo by far the best Thai food in town, and I've tried 7 or 8 different places. Thai is my favorite food.

Yeah Ambers is my favorite Indian.

Oakleys is great, but pricey, you are probably looking at $120 for two people, more if you have a few drinks and desert and portions are not huge, but food is so good

Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead Warrior View Post
    , somewhere in the neighborhood of Edward's Drive-In, John's Famous Stew, etc.

Ate at Edwards for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Tenderloin wasn't bad but overrated. Did think the onion rings were exceptional however.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    You didn't say hi, how long would that take? 2 minutes? Fine. Thats Ok, I must have been on my lunch break, so I was probably in a hurry.

Have you trid Siam Square, downtown - that is IMo by far the best Thai food in town, and I've tried 7 or 8 different places. Thai is my favorite food.

Yeah Ambers is my favorite Indian.

Oakleys is great, but pricey, you are probably looking at $120 for two people, more if you have a few drinks and desert and portions are not huge, but food is so good
    Well in retrospect I should have said hi but I didn't want to get between you and your Panda meat. I'll try Siam Square in the next week or so. Its a tough sell if my wife can't have her orange chicken (not a Thai fan so boo on her).

Thanks for the tenderloin tips.
    Yes the tenderloin at Edward's is overrated and yep the onion rings are pretty darned good, but the root beer is to die for. We like it better than Mug 'n Bun.

Jasmine is top notch Thai IMO. We've eaten at 10-12 Thai restaurants in the last few years. Our favorite BY FAR is Siam Square on Virginia Ave. We also like Sawasdee @ 86th & Ditch. I believe those are the top 3 in Indy.

Yep, ditto for Amber, our favorite Indian, in fact we're going there tomorrow. Mrs. KW says, "This is the best Indian food I've ever had, and I've been to India." She did also mention that the spiciness is toned down a bit and there was more salt in it than there should be.

Meh, I'm half Scottish and I really don't much care for the food. I'm also half German and have the beer collection to prove it. mmmmmm doublebock

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    The Bosphorus on South East St. Great Turkish restaurant.
    We absolutely adore Bosporus. We sometimes go for lunch and split an appetizer platter for 3 with warm pita. mmmm

Sawasdee is awesome. When I was in high school at Brebeuf would go there all the time. Great portions and good food.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Had Jockamo Pizza in Irvington last weekend. Had the Shrimp Po' Boy pizza. Really tasty if you're looking for something different.

http://www.jockamopizza.com/
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

R Bistro - wow what great food. Reminds me a lot of Oakely Bistro - same type of food.

Sawasdee on Saturday and Bub's Burgers on Sunday.

Recommend them both.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Mood

Oaken Barrel. Know the folks who own the place, they're good people. You'll get tremendous food, good beverages, and the best service.

96th Street Steakburgers: Definitely one of the best burgers I've ever had.

Gray Brothers Cafeteria: Probably the best cafeteria-style food I've ever had. Definitely worth a drive down to Mooresville to eat there.

Saphron Cafe downtown: Very delicious Moroccan cuisine, if that's your thing.

Barcelona Tapas downtown: Very tasty. When you eat at a tapas restaurant, you order several different appetizers and split them. They were all really good.

Has anyone ever tried Tortas Guicho Dominguez y El Cubanito in Fountain Square? I really want to try that place, as well as Santorinis.

The Local. It's at 146th and Gray.

I'm not sure I'd mentioned it before. Very, very good. Try to order of the "specials" menu.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Doug For This Useful Post:

I've been there once. Great food. ^^

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    The Local. It's at 146th and Gray.

I'm not sure I'd mentioned it before. Very, very good. Try to order of the "specials" menu.
    I just moved right down the street from this place. Tried it a couple weeks ago.

Ordered rabbit pot pie from their specials menu. Thought it was good but not enough to order it again. It just didn't have as much flavor as I expected. I did think the goat cheese appetizer was fantastic. While I didn't go crazy for my entree, everyone else at the table loved their meals. And I liked that they had a broad selection of Sun King brewery beer on tap.

I'll certainly go back.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Went to J. Razzo's last night in Carmel -http://jrazzos.com/index.php

Pretty good, the sausage I had was tasty and spicey. Would like to try a few of their other dishes.

http://jrazzos.com/index.php

http://www.goosethemarket.com/

Went here and tried the Batali (named after Mario Batali's dad, I guess.)
    It was a great sandwich. It's a deli that sells local produce too. I know most local, organic stuff can be expensive, but some of the prices there were insane. The sandwich wasn't too pricey, $7.50 and the soups are supposed to be good. It was a pretty small sandwich menu, but it is a deli first. I'd certainly recommend it.