Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 337

Thread: The restaurant review thread

  1. #251
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,823

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone been to Oakley's Bistro and 86th and Ditch.
    It's been a while, but the one time I was there it was great.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:


  3. #252
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Quote Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    does anybody miss that great fast food chain "Rax?" They still have one in Anderson. Best fast food roast beef ever!
    I used to love that. it always seemed to me that the roast beef was so much better than Arby's. Not sure that is really the case, but it was what I thought

  4. #253
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,221
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Arby's bought out many of the Rax locations. In fact, if you go to Arby's and ask them for the Super Roast Beef that Rax used to make they will still make it for you. They essentially top a roast beef with shredded lettuce and some french dressing.

  5. #254
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Here's one that I've recommended in Greek Town before, but you can take it off your list (at least for a while).

    http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...wn-eatery.html

    From my office window, I can see that fire trucks are still on the scene.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  6. #255
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arby's bought out many of the Rax locations. In fact, if you go to Arby's and ask them for the Super Roast Beef that Rax used to make they will still make it for you. They essentially top a roast beef with shredded lettuce and some french dressing.
    But Rax's "BBC" (Bacon, Beef and Cheddar) disappeared, and there's something about Arby's version that I don't like... don't remember what it is, I just stick with the regular roast beef sandwich at Arbys.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  7. #256
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Five Guy's

    I love their burgers and fries.
    There's a Five Guys right next to where my son has guitar lessons, so we end up eating once every three or four weeks. There's no question there burgers are really good, but I have some complaints:

    - They're kinda pricey (1 Cheeseburger, 1 Little Bacon Chzbgr, 1 reg fries, 2 reg drinks - $17)

    - They're very slow

    - They're fries are inconsistent and are too greasy.

    Finally, and this really bugs the **** out of me, but they do it even when I ask them not to do it: They put your burgers in the bag, then dump hot fries on top of the burgers. Just really irritating. I guess this is some kind of trademark, but I hate it.

    The only thing I've ever found more baffling is the Western Pennsylvania practice of putting French Fries in salads. Seriously - order like a Chef Salad, or a Steak Salad, and it comes with a wad of French Fries on it, as if they were croutons. Who the **** comes up with that?

  8. #257
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But Rax's "BBC" (Bacon, Beef and Cheddar) disappeared, and there's something about Arby's version that I don't like... don't remember what it is, I just stick with the regular roast beef sandwich at Arbys.
    I always remember the BBC at Rax being better in theory than in practice, but they (Rax) were only around Indy for like 34 seconds.

    I also liked Sisters Chicken - well, their Chicken 'n' Biscuits - and they were only here for a short while.

  9. #258
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,611

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    The other night I went to Fogo De Chao in downtown.

    If you walk out of there hungry you are doing something wrong.

    Pricey as heck but, IMO worth it. Had the oddest salad bar I have ever seen with all types of oddeties on it but it was good as well.

    Had a mango custard thing for desert that was also very good.

    http://www.fogodechao.com/


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  10. #259
    Member Dr. Goldfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,428

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I always remember the BBC at Rax being better in theory than in practice, but they (Rax) were only around Indy for like 34 seconds.

    I also liked Sisters Chicken - well, their Chicken 'n' Biscuits - and they were only here for a short while.

    There's still a Rax in Anderson. There was at least last year. I guess I should read the whole page before I make comments...Pianoman beat me to it.

  11. #260
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,221
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Wife and I ate at The Aristocrat last night. I forgot how good their food was. Place was packed for a Tuesday night. Jazz trio playing in the back, $3 pint night. I highly recommend the spinach stuffed portabella for an appetizer. They basically bread and deep fry one of those huge portabella mushroom caps, then spread it with spinach & artichoke dip, and sprinkle the whole thing with fresh parmesan. It's big enough to feed the whole table and extremely good. I've tried various things there over the years and I always go back to their reuben sandwich and it didn't disappoint last night. My wife got a roasted pepper chicken sandwich and really enjoyed it as well.

  12. #261
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Why do I ever go to Panda Express - everytime I do I regret it. Will never go back - overpriced horrible chinese food

  13. #262
    Member Erik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    40
    Posts
    727

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wife and I ate at The Aristocrat last night. I forgot how good their food was. Place was packed for a Tuesday night. Jazz trio playing in the back, $3 pint night. I highly recommend the spinach stuffed portabella for an appetizer. They basically bread and deep fry one of those huge portabella mushroom caps, then spread it with spinach & artichoke dip, and sprinkle the whole thing with fresh parmesan. It's big enough to feed the whole table and extremely good. I've tried various things there over the years and I always go back to their reuben sandwich and it didn't disappoint last night. My wife got a roasted pepper chicken sandwich and really enjoyed it as well.
    I remember you saying their reuben was up there with Shapiro's, that's a bold statement, my friend I will have to go and try it someday.

  14. #263
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,519

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why do I ever go to Panda Express - everytime I do I regret it. Will never go back - overpriced horrible chinese food
    Panda Express is the worst Chinese food ever.

    How do they stay open? How the hell are they expanding into my neighborhood of all places, taking up a perfectly good retail space?

  15. #264
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Panda Express is the worst Chinese food ever.
    No. There's a place in King's Mountain, NC. I don't even know what the name of it is. I think the sign just said, generically, "Chinese Food."

  16. #265
    Member Erik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    40
    Posts
    727

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    http://www.tastecafeandmarketplace.com/

    I got to check this place out yesterday. I thought it was really good but kinda pricey if you have more that just a sandwhich and chips. We were suprised to find out that our daily special "pomme frites" that had added cheese and truffle aioli were $9. Thats two orders of fries for $18! And their "pomme frittes" didnt compare to the Brugge. I will be going back, but I'll be watching that daily special menu that doesnt have prices listed

  17. #266
    Member pianoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Muncie Indiana
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,349
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Went to Harry and Izzy's for the first time a few nights ago..

    I had one of the best burgers I've ever had, plus the bread is excellent! Price wasn't as bad as I thought it would be either!
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

  18. #267
    Member Erik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    40
    Posts
    727

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    You guys can probably tell that I'm a big eater by all of my posts in this thread. So much so, that I entered my first eating contest earlier today at http://www.paparouxindy.com/index.php I came in third (out of six) the challenge was to eat a 2 foot, 5 pound Po'boy sandwich. I managed to gobble down 3lbs 11 oz before calling it quits. The winner was a few ounces shy of finishing himself. He gets a free regular size Po'boy once a week until he's "dethroned'. I just thought I would share my proud moment. And I do recommend checking the place out, they have some really good stuff there.

  19. #268

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why do I ever go to Panda Express - everytime I do I regret it. Will never go back - overpriced horrible chinese food
    ha!
    yep, they certainly are not much. been there maybe a half dozen times and kept hoping it was just because they had just opened but no, they were just that bad. for the portions, it was on the pricey side in my book. and the food was nothing impressive at all- they didn't even have any spicy chili sauce or hot mustard to put on it nor any soy sauce that i could find either which is super-lame. i have not been there in about 6+ months and do not plan on going back again.

  20. #269
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Finally a really good Chinese place in Carmel Mings Wok - have eaten 4 times gotten something different each time and they have all been really good. it is located across from the Meijer store on Old Meridian

  21. #270
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Continue to eat once a week at Ming's Wok in Carmel - excellent.

    Tried Pizzology over the weekend. It is different, some will not like it. it is paper thin, but it is really, really unique and really good. Can't wait to try more of their varieties.
    http://www.pizzologyindy.com/

    here is a review
    http://www.ibj.com/dining-pizzologys.../article/15617
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 03-29-2010 at 09:11 AM.

  22. #271
    Fear my small avatar Gyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Cristinni's in Orlando. AWESOME Veal Parm. Expensive, so go on an expense account.

  23. #272
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Continue to eat once a week at Ming's Wok in Carmel - excellent.

    Tried Pizzology over the weekend. It is different, some will not like it. it is paper thin, but it is really, really unique and really good. Can't wait to try more of their varieties.
    http://www.pizzologyindy.com/

    here is a review
    http://www.ibj.com/dining-pizzologys.../article/15617
    Put me in the "don't like it" category.

    I know they say the crust is supposed to look a little burnt.

    But mine not only looked burnt, but *tasted* burnt as well. Overpowered everything.

    I'm not sure I'll give them another chance.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  24. #273
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Put me in the "don't like it" category.

    I know they say the crust is supposed to look a little burnt.

    But mine not only looked burnt, but *tasted* burnt as well. Overpowered everything.

    I'm not sure I'll give them another chance.
    mine wasn't, although I read that when they first opened they had some problems with getting the crust too done. baking pizza at 800 degrees is difficult, probably 1 minute can make all the difference, maybe 30 seconds too long and it is burned.

    I would recommend you try it again.

    actually it reminds me of the way Bazbeaux was when they first opened, which seems a lot different from what it is today
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 03-30-2010 at 08:38 AM.

  25. #274
    Member ChristianDudley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,578

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    Cheeseburger in Paradise...you can pretty much get any kind of burger you want. There's one south of Indy (well south + right outside of downtown Indy). They've got them all over the place now, but I go to this particular one lots of times before or after Pacers and Colts games and sometimes on other occasions when I'm in Indy. Just a great place to eat.

    P.S. If you do manage to go and get a dessert, try the chocolate nachos!

  26. #275
    Get well PG! DGPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whiteland, IN
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,034

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The restaurant review thread

    My wife and I and some other family are going to Fogo De Chaos for my birthday in a couple of weeks, I hear it's quite delicious and I can't wait to find out.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Similar Threads

  1. Thinking about a move "back" to Indianapolis...should I or shouldn't I?
    By idioteque in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 04-30-2012, 02:25 AM
  2. Indianapolis awarded 2012 Super Bowl
    By duke dynamite in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-23-2008, 07:13 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-14-2008, 10:32 PM
  4. JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-09-2008, 08:36 AM
  5. Kansas City at Indianapolis – Game thread – 11/18/07
    By Lord Helmet in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 11-19-2007, 11:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •