Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The restaurant review thread

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The restaurant review thread

Quote Originally Posted by DGPR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My wife and I and some other family are going to Fogo De Chaos for my birthday in a couple of weeks, I hear it's quite delicious and I can't wait to find out.
    You are in for a treat. They don't have anything bad but the bone in leg of lamb is practically a religious experience. If you don't know how Fogo De Chao works I wrote about it earlier in this thread on page 1. My opinion has changed slightly since then as I've been several more times and now believe it's worth every penny.
    Last edited by travmil; 03-29-2010 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Why do I ever go to Panda Express - everytime I do I regret it. Will never go back - overpriced horrible chinese food
    i don't know if they are doing it where you live but, panda express is currently doing a buffet thing here in bloomington. now is the time to chow down baby! lol

I broke down and finally ordered Dominos over the weekend. First time I've had their pizza in about 7 years I'm guessing. But I thought I would give it a try since it is cheap and new.

I think I am a little bit of a snob when it comnes to pizza. I don't like Pizza Hut, old Dominos, dispise Papa Johns.

But the new Dominos is OK, much better than it used to be. The crust is actually quite good and by far the best part of their new pizza. Light, flavorful, crispy and overall very good. The sauce was OK, I like that it had a little kick to it.

The cheese I thought was just not very good, but I've had worse. The sausage however was horrible.

Overall I would say yes it is better, and probably better than Pizza Hut and Papa Johns, but no where nearly as good as Bazbeaux, Some Guys, Puchini's, Pizzology and several other place.

So if you want something cheap to feed a bunch of people, OK, otherwise I don't know why anyone would order Dominos

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So I tried Dawson's in Speedway and I was still not impressed with that place. I went there about a year and left that place and swore I would never go back. At that time they refused to bring everyone's food out at the same time. They would just bring out each dish when it was done cooking. So my friends and I spent a lot of time just waiting for our last friend to get his meal and eat it.

The service was a bit better, but the food is just so bland. The decor and ambiance is nice, but I think it tries to hard to come off as an upscale restaurant.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Went a new bar type place in Carmel called The Stacked Pickle today, alright for bar food. Pretty reasonable prices and a fairly diverse menu, plus the service was very quick for lunch.

Thank you for mentioning Pizzology UB. I haven't gotten to try it since I've been back from school, but I desperately want to and seeing you mention it reminded me to.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Went a new bar type place in Carmel called The Stacked Pickle today, alright for bar food. Pretty reasonable prices and a fairly diverse menu, plus the service was very quick for lunch.

Thank you for mentioning Pizzology UB. I haven't gotten to try it since I've been back from school, but I desperately want to and seeing you mention it reminded me to.
    if you go back a page or two, you see that I really like their pizza, Doug not so much. it is very different.

Continue to eat once a week at Ming's Wok in Carmel - excellent.

Tried Pizzology over the weekend. It is different, some will not like it. it is paper thin, but it is really, really unique and really good. Can't wait to try more of their varieties.
    http://www.pizzologyindy.com/

here is a review
    http://www.ibj.com/dining-pizzologys.../article/15617
    I think I would like it.

Also RE: Sushi places in Indy

Tried H20 in Broad Ripple over Easter break, very good.

Pizzology, had it for lunch today. The toppings are fresh and delicious, but the crust does have a burnt taste, especially at the edges. I left most of my crust ends on my plate. Very good, but I wish they would maybe burn it just a little less.

Had lunch in Bloomington on Saturday (actually kind of an early dinner) with some friends at a place called Finch's. Tapas and individual pizzas, sandwiches etc. were what they were serving in the afternoon, but they looked like they had a good dinner menu. Right on kirkwood ave. next to Kilroy's very good, and a nice change of place to the Kirkwood. Another solid restaurant offering in BTown.

b.good

Hit this place up for a veggie burger and baked sweet potato fries here and there. Stuff isn't too bad for you, very fresh and has great veggie burgers (which is important to me because I'm a wussy vegetarian). If any of you are in Boston or the Boston area, find one.

Last edited by btowncolt; 06-01-2010 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Pizzology, had it for lunch today. The toppings are fresh and delicious, but the crust does have a burnt taste, especially at the edges. I left most of my crust ends on my plate. Very good, but I wish they would maybe burn it just a little less.
    I don't disagree and that was the complaint that Doug had mentioned. I have eaten there 4 times and each time the crusts is slightly burned to varying degrees. I think I read a comment from the owner/chef that it is hard to get the pizza exactly right when the oven is 750 degrees. I would imagine 30 seconds too long in the oven can burn it too much.

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt View Post

I went to an Asian fusion place last summer in Boston. I stayed at the Seaport hotel and it was only a couple of blocks from the hotel - OMG it was good. Very nice area, probavbly very new

That area has a lot of new stuff. Most of my experience in that part of Boston involves either going on booze cruises or going to the Harpoon brewery for free tastings at 4pm on weekdays.

Don't let that short paragraph fool you - I don't have a drinking problem. Yet.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll bump this back up after reading the whole thing. My wife and i will be in Indy next Thursday night before coming home and would love to go to a local place for dinner. It definitely will not be pizza, we are having that earlier in the week, or BBQ. A couple of the Italian places sound good. We are looking for a casual place. Any place already in the thread or not mentioned yet that we should go to? We are staying on the west side, but that doesn't limit us to where we will journey to have a great meal!

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    I'll bump this back up after reading the whole thing. My wife and i will be in Indy next Thursday night before coming home and would love to go to a local place for dinner. It definitely will not be pizza, we are having that earlier in the week, or BBQ. A couple of the Italian places sound good. We are looking for a casual place. Any place already in the thread or not mentioned yet that we should go to? We are staying on the west side, but that doesn't limit us to where we will journey to have a great meal!
    Mama Corallas in Broad ripple, 54th street
    http://mamacarollas.com/Mama-Carolla...ianapolis-Menu

my favorite is Rosemary Chicken Lasagna

But everything there is good, plus a like the atmosphere
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 07-15-2010 at 09:14 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

That is good stuff.

Mama Corallas in Broad ripple, 54th street

I like this place. Been there a ton of times (though only once in the last few years). It's just a couple blocks from where my parents live (note - please don't harass my parents). Good stuff. Taken a few ladies there over the years and it always, uh, worked out okay.

Junior Member The Toxic Avenger's Avatar

I like Bravo's. Its not a local joint by any means and it may be a little cla$$ier than what you asked for... so really it has none of the qualities that you asked for but it IS good!

I'll think about it some more and get back to you.

Ken - I have been to both of the following places (with the caveat that I have not been recently) and recall enjoying them both:

http://www.opentable.com/matteos-ris...ef=10045&ttr=1

http://www.opentable.com/iozzos-gard...ef=10045&ttr=1

21. The Following User Says Thank You to btowncolt For This Useful Post:

I tried Pizzology again last night. This time we ate in instead of carryout.

Better. The pizza was much less burnt that last time.

Still, though, not one of my favorites.

On the plus side, they had 4 very good beers on tap. I had 3 of them, one twice - my wife was driving.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Went to Tony Sacco's Coal Oven Pizza last night. It is at the Clay Terrace mall in Carmel. Let me first say there are sooooo many really good pizza places in Carmel - the list of really good places is endless.

And I would say that this place is very good. Not my favorite, but very good. The style is I suppose New York style. Thin crust. Sort of reminds me of a really good pizza place that you used to see in mall food courts. You know the kind where the pizza is already cooked and you order and they throw it in the oven to re-heat. Similar to that but better.

I'll eat their again, but it won't replace Bazbeaux as my favorite or Pizzology as my second favorite.

The price is simlar to Bazbeaux - not cheap.

I broke down and finally ordered Dominos over the weekend. First time I've had their pizza in about 7 years I'm guessing. But I thought I would give it a try since it is cheap and new.

I think I am a little bit of a snob when it comnes to pizza. I don't like Pizza Hut, old Dominos, dispise Papa Johns.

But the new Dominos is OK, much better than it used to be. The crust is actually quite good and by far the best part of their new pizza. Light, flavorful, crispy and overall very good. The sauce was OK, I like that it had a little kick to it.

The cheese I thought was just not very good, but I've had worse. The sausage however was horrible.

Overall I would say yes it is better, and probably better than Pizza Hut and Papa Johns, but no where nearly as good as Bazbeaux, Some Guys, Puchini's, Pizzology and several other place.

So if you want something cheap to feed a bunch of people, OK, otherwise I don't know why anyone would order Dominos
    This is a really old post, but I guess I missed it. UB, I think you answered your own query in there. To put it in basketball terms, Domino's is Danny Granger, and Bazbeaux is a younger Paul Pierce. You are going to get, say 20% more production, but you're going to pay 50% more for it.

I do Bazbeaux and The Ordinary when I want a freaking outstanding pizza. For a typical Friday night pizza, however, Domino's is a very tasty pizza and it's dirt cheap with a coupon. I guess, for me, Domino's has superior value.

Bub's Cafe for breakfast over the weekend. I enjoyed it alot. Pancakes were good, waffles were good, sausages were excellent, their donut holes were outstanding. (no I didn't order all that myself) but tried it all.

Monical's Pizza @ 141st & 37. Had eaten there before, but had their lasagna and breadsticks. Their breadsticks are really interesting and tasty, with a twist - they're sprinkled with kosher salt, and are excellent when hot out of the oven. They don't travel as well, but they're still pretty good when they cool down.

Me & some friends were watching the Colts game last night, so we ordered two pizza - one thin crust and one pan. The thin crust was excellent, surprisingly loaded with toppings and cheese, and a nice tasty crisp crust filled edge-to-edge. I tend to prefer thin crust (with a few exceptions), so I was surprised when I found the pan as good as the thin. Again, just filled with toppings and cheese, this crust was dough-ier and really good. We had the "Mighty Meat" for the thin (Sausage, Pepperoni, Bacon, Ham) and the Buffalo Chicken (Chicken, Buffalo Sauce, Ranch) for the pan, and we all agreed they were both ridiculously good.

It's a touch pricey ($21 for a 16" Specialty Thin or 14" Specialty Pan, $6 for Family Pack of Breadsticks (10 sticks and 2 sauces)), but well worth it.

They also have a really good French style salad dressing there that I would recommend. Monical's is generally my carry out place right now. Convenient and good. Yeah, it's a bit pricey, but I think you get what you pay for. The toppings are always very fresh.