Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the increasing whiteness of the Pacers an intentional reaction to the team's tarnished image?

Default Is the increasing whiteness of the Pacers an intentional reaction to the team's tarnished image?

A friend recently pointed out to me that the Pacers have, in the last two years, become a significantly whiter team. We now have six white players under contract, five of which will definitely be on the team this season and four of which are at least starters or significant role players. This is an especially high percentage for an NBA team, especially when something like 90% of the league is black.

My question is, did the Indiana Pacers consciously make the decision to start building the team around white players as a reaction to the off the court issues of the last few years?

A couple notes: I am NOT calling the Pacers organization racist. Making sure to have at least a couple of white players on an NBA bench is nothing new, Red Aurebach made sure he always did in Boston (there's an article out there somewhere about the intentional racial make-up of Red's Celtics teams. I'll try and find it and post it when I can).

On a personal level, I don't think it's intentional. I think we acquired the best players we could in the trades we made, despite skin color. But I do wonder how players on other teams, and other team's fans, interpret this. Last season a friend texted me "Do the Pacers know the league is desegregated?"

So what do you guys think?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Is the increasing whiteness of the Pacers an intentional reaction to the team's tarnished image?

If the Pacers had signed Jason Williams and Cris Andersen, would this still be a topic?

Last season a friend texted me "Do the Pacers know the league is desegregated?"
    ...he asked you if a team that employed 6 white players and 6 black players knew the NBA was desegregated....

There's really no punchline to that. That's the joke in and of itself.

Your friend is the one with racial issues, not the pacers...
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-20-2008 at 02:24 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Is the increasing whiteness of the Pacers an intentional reaction to the team's tarnished image?

Brandon Rush, Jarret Jack, TJ Ford, Maceo Baston, Shawne Williams, James White, Danny Granger, Ike Diogu, Keith McLeod, Kareem Rush, Flip Murray, Andre Owens.
    What the hell are you talking about?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brandon Rush, Jarret Jack, TJ Ford, Maceo Baston, Shawne Williams, James White, Danny Granger, Ike Diogu, Keith McLeod, Kareem Rush, Flip Murray, Andre Owens.
    thats what i was thinking.

Mood

I see no connection. They are just players.

...he asked you if a team that employed 6 white players and 6 black players knew the NBA was desegregated....

There's really no punchline to that. That's the joke in and of itself.
    Exactly, it was a joke. But it came from the fact that we have a significantly whiter team than anyone else in the league.

I'm talking about the team actively choosing to go after white players. That doesn't mean that we have an all white team, it means we have a significantly white team.

I'll say this again, it's not a new concept for a team to try and be whiter as a way to appeal to fans. It's something that has existed in sports for the last fifty years.

But it came from the fact that we have a significantly whiter team than anyone else in the league.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Look at the recent moves they've made and new players coming in. Jack, Ford, Rush, Rasho, Hibbert, and Baston. of those only Rasho (17%) is white. I dont see any connection to this thread and what Bird is trying to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Agreed, I should have said "any team other than the Jazz," although I don't enjoy any comparisons to the Jazz.

I dont see any connection to this thread and what Bird is trying to do.
    I hope not (and for the record, neither do I), but some people act like it's heresy to even mention race when talking about the NBA. I just want to have the discussion.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

I've heard comments like that directed at the Pacers...always wrote it off as easy and cheap shots by some doofus that was trying to say or write something clever or bold, and didn't really have a clue how to do either.

I think the Pacers just look for ball players. They went through a stretch where they added Dunleavy, Murphy, and Diener; but that was because they needed shooters. A lot of the league's best shooters are white. Other than that, they've added players of all color as long as they possess exceptional character.

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    I think the Pacers just look for ball players. They went through a stretch where they added Dunleavy, Murphy, and Diener; but that was because they needed shooters. A lot of the league's best shooters are white. Other than that, they've added players of all color as long as they possess exceptional character.
    I totally agree with you. When the Pacers were looking for shooters they did add white players, but they were looking for shooters and coincidently they were white. Not to mention, the Pacers did sign a coloured player, K. Rush

This thread is just so full of wrong..

I recommend immediate shutdown. Coloured??

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think it's intentional at all. McRoberts and Nesto were aquired for obvious reasons other than skin color. Nesto is an expiring deal, and McRoberts is a young local boy. They also have signed guys like Murray, K.Rush, Graham and Owens. And they drafted 2 black players.

hmm...name the top 3 pacers from last year...imo 1) dunleavy 2) granger 3) foster

but the lack of white americans in the nba is a problem that should be addressed imo

Why does it need to be addressed, and by who?

Sports Logo

And how?

well, if the lack of blacks in baseball, hockey, golf, and motor sports needs to be addressed, then so does the lack of white americans in the nba

Quote Originally Posted by Burtrem Redneck View Post
    This thread is just so full of wrong..

I recommend immediate shutdown. Coloured??
    Although I do agree with you in questioning use of the term "coloured"...

Why should the thread be immediately shut down?

I really think there is no connection at all. Take Foster and Dunleavy for instance. They earned the right to play. It had nothing to do with color. If any man of any color takes their job and does it better I will be happy about it. We just want winners. And there have been several "white Americans" who have been stars in the last twenty years.

But did I like Smits any less because he was white but from Holland? No. I dream we had a player of his caliber. Did Reggie being black have anything to do with him being my favorite player? No. I would have loved him if he were any color of the rainbow.

Point is, id that we aren't bringing in white players for any reason other than they are what we want in a player. As pointed out we have added several black players to our roster recently, and these players seem to fit the mold. Hard working team players who stay out of trouble. And there is some talent there too, deeper than most on here realize. Espescially our post game.

The NBA is dominated by black people, that is the fact. but to say white people can't dominate, or any other race can't, is just insane to me. Yao Ming is the most dominate C, he just always gets injured.

All we are trying to do is bring in people who fit the mold. Maybe good "white American" talent is being overlooked and we have banked on that because IMO Foster is way underpaid/undervalued. You have deep European talent and the black American talent pool hasn't dried up any. Neither has the African talent pool. We are still due another Hakeem and Mutombo. Maybe we are due another Larry Bird.

If we got a hard working winner from any corner of the planet, it would be the goal of our PR. This dicussion is just pointless and to have such a discussion is being closed minded to race. It's not like Larry played for Indiana and was our last superstar. Indiana loved Reggie Miller. Give us another Reggie and paint him orange, he will be loved as well.

Hockey too ? Good luck with that one.

Mood

Aside from agreeing with everyone that thinks the answer to the question at hand is a resounding, "NO," let me just add that threads like this are by nature on thin ice here. If things take a dive (outrageous comments, anger outburst, going from NBA to just political), it will be closed.

And at this point, the question has already been answered soundly many times over, so if it does it won't be a huge loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    Hockey too ? Good luck with that one.
    Do you remember Chris Rock as Nat X on Saturday Night Live?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Let's be honest here...

Let's say 0% of the people who have posted in this thread are "racist" (aka "think Bird has targeted acquiring white players b/c of any perceived decrease in off-court problems, more character, etc.)

While it's unsafe to make an assumption that white players in general possess better character or less off-court problems, there are hundreds of thousands of white people (think rural Indiana, many old white guys, and other groups) who have fallen off b/c of the Pacers off-court problems.

All I'm saying is there are certain groups who will always think white people/players are better as far as character, etc. And I don't think there is any doubt that the Jack/Al trade for Murph/Dun was an attempt to bring in perceived character in exchange for Jack's off-court issues.

IMHO, some people will never get over this issue, b/c of the way they grew up, etc. We all know those people who have an old white grandfather who is a democrat but would die before voting for Obama.

That's all I've got...
    The NBA ... it's fannnnnnnnn-tastic! I LOVE this game!

The only color that matters in professional sports is GREEN!
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!